Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Thinking of you last night after reseeing "Time Stands Still". 10 months without my sweet Neil, and soon, 1 year in Jan of 2021. Cant still believe that you are not here anymore...

Where did you run off to? Haven't seen you for a long time, my friend. I sent you birthday greetings.

Aww so very sorry about that lov! Liked I said, school came first before this lol and anyway, been quiet on social media ever since tho not too quiet on here and been checking on here as well too!!

And another thing, I can express my feeling on here as much as I can without insulting a person on here and I dont mean to be rude, but you got a problem with how I write on here and coming after me with what I write then dont comment at all. I loved Neil as much as everyone here but to put me down after this is crazy af. I tend to get very close to a certain things or person because I grew up with it or them. It is a weird little habits that I get whenever I get into something that I love so much. I am not going to be bulled on here for expressing my feelings on here and I been bullied at school, from peers to teachers to know who is poking fun at me. I cant sometimes read feelings but if you knew me, then you will understand where I am coming from when I say "Sweet Neil".

I took a lot of solace in knowing that Neil's work was finished and he ended things with Rush on his terms. I'm not sure if that helps you through it at all but the man's work had been completed before he died and he left us a great legacy of music which always makes me happy when I listen to it.

It does. Thank you so much for this as it been a rough year for all of us here and outside the forum. Losing Neil was not easy (nor is it still) but I do take comfort that he left us with so many things to enjoy be it his writings or the music that still makes me happy to sad in a heartbeat san the post I written above. I say "sweet Neil" because I feel so close to them even if I didn't not really meet them, but it felt liked I DID! It is something to say to quote him when he lost Selena and to "write letters to her" as if he is still here. That is why I say "my sweet Neil" and it will be the same way when, God forbid, Geddy or Alex passes away too as well. I am very "close" to Geddy, (All of them, in fact!), in a way that no one can understand. It is liked a family member (But with me crushing on him! lol). Thank you for everything too as well. May you also Rush on!

• Like 1

A year after he passed might be as good a time as any.

Rush is my favorite band ever, so finding out the news, accidentally, while browsing Mike Inez's Instagram page, hit me hard. I couldn't bring myself to listen to Rush for a long time after that, listening to My Favorite Headache instead when I felt like I needed it. The point when Rush music came back into my life was actually only a few months ago, when I was on Spotify, decided that it was the time, and put the 40th anniversary reissue of Permanent Waves on. Since then, it has become easier.

Peart's lyrics spoke to me and while you can say that not all of them hit the mark and that his swing and groove weren't the best (apart from his final years as a drummer, when he began to improvise more and became more loose), but when everything clicked in Rush songs, it was exactly what I needed and it was a beautiful feeling. And his solos were otherwordly and, ironically enough, had groove and swing in spades. Not getting new Neil Peart lyrics and hearing what he was able to come up with this time, along with his new drum work every few years is regretful and not getting his new live performances, along with his new solos, is bitter. The fact that he was diagnosed in such a short time span after finishing his career is simply unfair to the man and the fact that he left behind a young daughter and a wife before the time is tragic.

I should also mention that I always liked reading his books, as they had the ability to transfer you to a place that he was describing and were full of interesting and intricate details. I still read them from time to time or listen to them, as I now have the entire collection in audio format after they were made available for free in the days after he died.

Him being gone is sad and shouldn't have happened when it did. But the music lives on and for that, I am grateful.

RIP, Neil Peart.

• Like 9

A year after he passed might be as good a time as any.

Rush is my favorite band ever, so finding out the news, accidentally, while browsing Mike Inez's Instagram page, hit me hard. I couldn't bring myself to listen to Rush for a long time after that, listening to My Favorite Headache instead when I felt like I needed it. The point when Rush music came back into my life was actually only a few months ago, when I was on Spotify, decided that it was the time, and put the 40th anniversary reissue of Permanent Waves on. Since then, it has become easier.

Peart's lyrics spoke to me and while you can say that not all of them hit the mark and that his swing and groove weren't the best (apart from his final years as a drummer, when he began to improvise more and became more loose), but when everything clicked in Rush songs, it was exactly what I needed and it was a beautiful feeling. And his solos were otherwordly and, ironically enough, had groove and swing in spades. Not getting new Neil Peart lyrics and hearing what he was able to come up with this time, along with his new drum work every few years is regretful and not getting his new live performances, along with his new solos, is bitter. The fact that he was diagnosed in such a short time span after finishing his career is simply unfair to the man and the fact that he left behind a young daughter and a wife before the time is tragic.

I should also mention that I always liked reading his books, as they had the ability to transfer you to a place that he was describing and were full of interesting and intricate details. I still read them from time to time or listen to them, as I now have the entire collection in audio format after they were made available for free in the days after he died.

Him being gone is sad and shouldn't have happened when it did. But the music lives on and for that, I am grateful.

RIP, Neil Peart.

Beautifully said.

• Like 3

And really, what’s so bizarre about this day is that a year ago right now we all thought he was still alive and we had no idea what was to come or I should say what had already happened.
  • Like 6

Doing a complete Rush marathon of all the DVDs. Everything. In chronological order. Lots of jumping around but it's worth it. From Laura Secord to R40 ... and the Time Stand Still doc. A year ago I attempted a marathon but failed to get through it and took a long break from the band. But this time I'm determined to complete it. I'm in the midst of the Clockwork Angels Tour DVD. After that I'm going to make it through TSS. I hope.
  • Like 4

Have been away from this site for quite awhile for various reasons. But even during that time I have been listening/watching old Rush DVDs and YouTubes, and it still amazes me what an utter master The Professor was on the drumkit.

Right now I'm watching a YT clip of their R30 tour back in 2004, and specifically their Frankfurt, Germany gig, A great performance as always, but Neil made it look so easy, especially with complex/demanding solos. And right now I'm watching their Earthshine song, and I really do miss him!

• Like 7

I had another dream about Neil last night.

This is the third one.

I had one last week too.

I don't remember the details, only that he was helping to do something and briefly walked away and I thought to myself that I must ask him how Olivia is doing.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Neil left us on January 7, 2020. 2112 days from that date will be October 19, 2025. On that day I'll raise a glass of Macallan (Sherry Oak) 18 to his memory. Estimating future inflation in 2025, it takes saving 20 cents a day to buy the bottle. My Rush piggy bank is getting full and flanked by these I bought when they were just $30.

71z-aGFt6xL._AC_SL1360_.jpg

• Like 3

My wife and I were discussing the crazy tickets prices as of late.

I told her that if I were going to pay close to 4 or 5 grand for us to fly out and see something like the U2 Vegas residency, it would have to be a Rush reunion with a re-animated Neil Peart to come close to justifying that kind of spend.

• Like 4

On 5/1/2023 at 1:37 PM, grep said:

My wife and I were discussing the crazy tickets prices as of late.

I told her that if I were going to pay close to 4 or 5 grand for us to fly out and see something like the U2 Vegas residency, it would have to be a Rush reunion with a re-animated Neil Peart to come close to justifying that kind of spend.

I don't see why the technology behind the unholy Dio hologram couldn't be used to accomplish this in a sense.