Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I've been reading the book "Rush and Philosophy" and can recommend it. It has deepened my appreciation of both Rush and Neil, both the music and lyrics. I didn't really realize how much they've influenced me over the past four decades until I read this book.
  • Like 4

I've been reading the book "Rush and Philosophy" and can recommend it. It has deepened my appreciation of both Rush and Neil, both the music and lyrics. I didn't really realize how much they've influenced me over the past four decades until I read this book.

Didn't dig that one so much (still have it).

My favorites for that type of thing are "Experiencing Rush," ,"Rush - Life Liberty And The Pursuit of Excellence" and "Rush -- Rock Music And The Middle Class.."

I'm yet to read it but I did discover a month or so back that the author of the 10th and final piece of the book called "How We Value a Gift Beyond Price" is by one Kayla Kreuger. Way back in Jan. 1999, Kayla started and was a frequent contributor to a Rush fan fiction story called Cre@Writ which subsequently became known as The Neverending Rush Story. It was collectively written by a bunch of Rush fans, including myself, and it became pretty massive in length. I remember Kayla's entries were always really great and quite funny. The story was hosted by a Rush fan board called Weird City and Kayla's username was Catchthefish. I still have the whole thing saved on my computer which is the only reason I can even give these details. Had a lot of fun contributing to it.

• Like 1

It's been two months, and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. 1% of my brain still can't accept it..... :eh:
  • Like 4

It's been two months, and I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. 1% of my brain still can't accept it..... :eh:

I haven't teared up in a few weeks but I did last night at KISS when I happened to see the STARMAN 2112 Logo on the bottom of Eric Singer's right bass drum. Blew my mind.

Then today I just received a box from one of my good friends in Toronto. He is sooooo amazing. He hunted down every newspaper and periodical that was out back on January 11th and he cut out every Neil Peart article for me. Labeled every clipping too.

I was blown away. More tears have fallen. Not from a broken heart but from the love of so many people around the world thinking about me.

To lighten up the mood it was a nice surprise to see KISS do "Tears Are Falling." The Asylum Tour was my first KISS Koncert. WASP opened.

• Like 2

Yeah - I was watching one of the shows on YouTube and I was thinking "is he really gone? how can he be?". It still seems so unreal.

• Like 4

I haven't teared up in a few weeks but I did last night at KISS when I happened to see the STARMAN 2112 Logo on the bottom of Eric Singer's right bass drum. Blew my mind.

Then today I just received a box from one of my good friends in Toronto. He is sooooo amazing. He hunted down every newspaper and periodical that was out back on January 11th and he cut out every Neil Peart article for me. Labeled every clipping too.

I was blown away. More tears have fallen. Not from a broken heart but from the love of so many people around the world thinking about me.

To lighten up the mood it was a nice surprise to see KISS do "Tears Are Falling." The Asylum Tour was my first KISS Koncert. WASP opened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpTLwpf4hg

Freeze it anywhere between 5:09 to about 5:17 - you can clearly see the starman on the right drum. That is a f-cking tribute man. Just awesome. THANKS FOR SHARING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFpTLwpf4hg

Freeze it anywhere between 5:09 to about 5:17 - you can clearly see the starman on the right drum. That is a f-cking tribute man. Just awesome. THANKS FOR SHARING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!

Thanks for putting up the video!

RUSH ON!

• Like 1

I was looking through some old notes. I found the letter I sent to NEP years ago a long with a copy of The Whys Of A Philosophical Scrivener, by Martin Gardner.

Never heard back, but yeah, I was a big enough Rushhead to send stuff to Neil.

(I once wrote a letter to Martin Gardner before he died and he wrote me back. I was pretty damn happy. (I did send my Snakes and Arrows booklet to the venue here and got it signed by all three and returned so I guess I did at least have some kind of mail-based interaction with NEP and those other two guys.))

Bloomington, MN 55438

September 21, 2007

Dear Neil:

You may already have read the work of former Scientific American columnist and paranormal debunker Martin Gardner, but in case you have not, please accept this token of my sincere appreciation for your written and recorded work.

I’m sending this on to you because your writing has had such a strong resonance with me, ever since I ‘discovered’ Rush in 1980. In particular, because I had the misfortune to be born into a family of Jehovah’s Witnesses (yikes!), with the resulting childhood of a thousand cuts, I have a particular affinity for the lyrics of Snakes and Arrows. I literally almost lost my life, as an infant, due to the well-known JW blood transfusion issue. Luckily I survived that, and was also fortunate to find that I had an aptitude for science and math, so as I went through college I jettisoned most all religious notions, and came in time to call myself a hopeful agnostic.

Gardner is interesting because he is such a rational man, a great advocate of skepticism, science and reason, and yet he chooses to be a Believer. Credo consolans is his motto – he believes because he finds it consoling. Personally I cannot will myself to this kind of fideism, but I am fascinated by the approach that Gardner uses to support his personal, non-sectarian, Unitarian-like brand of spirituality. I think you will find the chapters that deal with religion to be thought-provoking examples of the best kind of philosophical essays, from an erudite and talented writer. In fact, it rather nicely serves as a counterpoint to Richard Dawkins’ recent (and excellent) The God Delusion.

Kind regards,

Wandering Hermit

Edited by Wandering Hermit
  • Like 2

Did he? I'd say this is him with the wife of Tom Hanks.

tHYOFZV.jpg

That is a pretty weird likeness. Tom Hanks should play the older Neil in the movie. And yes Neil's big life does deserve a tastefully done biopic. Unfortunately, the words Hollywood and tasteful are not often used in the same sentence.

• Like 3

Did he? I'd say this is him with the wife of Tom Hanks.

tHYOFZV.jpg

Great couple! From the Bay Area! I can't believe they both have Coronavirus. They will be fine.

We have talked or typed about Tom playing Neil on here for years.

It will get done.

I'm going to write the script. The movie will have nothing to do with RUSH.

It will be all about Neil's life.