Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I’m still processing all of this and don’t quite know how to put it into words. This band and particularly Neils lyrics were very instrumental in shaping my view of the world when I was younger. It’s still unbelievable that he’s gone. I can’t wrap my mind around it.
  • Like 4

I’m still processing all of this and don’t quite know how to put it into words. This band and particularly Neils lyrics were very instrumental in shaping my view of the world when I was younger. It’s still unbelievable that he’s gone. I can’t wrap my mind around it.

Same.

• Like 1

Me too. I’m still crying for him. Then I feel guilty about it because I’m not his family and never met him. But I’m truly so sad he’s gone. This is really a hard one to cope with.

Edited by Holly
  • Like 3

Me too. I’m still crying for him. Then I feel guilty about it because I’m not his family and never met him. But I’m truly so sad he’s gone. This is really a hard one to cope with.

It's understandable, and so many of us share your ongoing sadness ...

Neil was a poet who spoke to our minds and touched our hearts. On the drums, he was an innovator who gave us masterpieces of music (in wonderfully synergistic collaboration with Geddy and Alex), inspired awe, and motivated countless musicians to work hard and develop their own musical artistry. As a person, he was an adventurous, inquisitive, creative, and resilient Renaissance man who served as an exemplar of what it means to live life well, through all of its ups and downs.

Among those who know Neil's life and work, he will never be forgotten.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 4

It's understandable, and so many of us share your ongoing sadness ...

Neil was a poet who spoke to our minds and touched our hearts. On the drums, he was an innovator who gave us masterpieces of music (in wonderfully synergistic collaboration with Geddy and Alex), inspired awe, and motivated countless musicians to work hard and develop their own musical artistry. As a person, he was an adventurous, inquisitive, creative, and resilient Renaissance man who served as an exemplar of what it means to live life well, through all of its ups and downs.

Among those who know Neil's life and work, he will never be forgotten.

People on here already think I'm crazy so it's all good. I don't care. I am a lucid dreamer.

I've had some very intense dreams of Neil. He comes to me often and we just sit down and talk. I've only met him once in my life and it was very off, but in my silly Rushhead, we chat and talk about drumming. Cooking. I know it's just my active subconscious but man, my dream with Neil seem so real.

I can pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend.

When three of my grandparents passed many years ago, they would visit me in my lucid dreams too. They all told me they were ok and happy.

The few intense dreams I've had with Neil after his passing have been very positive and incredible.

Just sharing.

Life is short.

• Like 2

Just manged to see "A Show Of Hands" on YT (The full concert) last weekend and just after finishing it, I just broke down and cried- just seeing Neil so young, so full of life, and knowing that he is not coming back, hurts even more. And poor Geddy and Alex, what nightmarish pain they must be going though. Then Olivia, poor girl, she's only 10 years old and was hoping that Neil would be around for everything; her wedding, grandchildren, and more in her life. I miss this dude even more now...

Having a child at 57 years old, there was little chance that he would be around for these events.

Neil's parents must be around 90 now, if he lived as long as them he very probably would be around for these events...

The bottom line is 67 is way to young to go even though when it's your time, it's your time. I really thought Neil was getting healthier actually after the R40 Tour. Thought he was going to get in shape, ride his motorcycle and raise Olivia. It's very sad still. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Neil. A man who gave so much to the world and ended up in a tragic reality. We typed about this before but man. Neil never saw Selena graduate college. Get a career. Fall in love. Get married. Hold a grandchild. Now Olivia will grow up and her father won't be able to see her blossom in life. Flat out sucks, but Neil's Legacy will carry on for all eternity.

Life is definitely unfair.

I don't think there really is any fair or unfair in life, it just is.

• Like 1

Just manged to see "A Show Of Hands" on YT (The full concert) last weekend and just after finishing it, I just broke down and cried- just seeing Neil so young, so full of life, and knowing that he is not coming back, hurts even more. And poor Geddy and Alex, what nightmarish pain they must be going though. Then Olivia, poor girl, she's only 10 years old and was hoping that Neil would be around for everything; her wedding, grandchildren, and more in her life. I miss this dude even more now...

Having a child at 57 years old, there was little chance that he would be around for these events.

Neil's parents must be around 90 now, if he lived as long as them he very probably would be around for these events...

The bottom line is 67 is way to young to go even though when it's your time, it's your time. I really thought Neil was getting healthier actually after the R40 Tour. Thought he was going to get in shape, ride his motorcycle and raise Olivia. It's very sad still. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Neil. A man who gave so much to the world and ended up in a tragic reality. We typed about this before but man. Neil never saw Selena graduate college. Get a career. Fall in love. Get married. Hold a grandchild. Now Olivia will grow up and her father won't be able to see her blossom in life. Flat out sucks, but Neil's Legacy will carry on for all eternity.

It is what it is, and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest

• Like 3

It is what it is, and whatever

Time is still the infinite jest

:ding:

It is, but we must carry on. Neil left us way too early but he left us soooooooo much too! No matter what we all believe in, there is no doubt that "Freewill" is real. Life can be fair, then in a blink of an eye it's unfair.

The cliches of life. Life is a rollercoaster. So many ups and downs. "We Hold On."

Thank you for those comments, guys! I been a bit quiet about my feelings toward Neil's family, but just felt to voice them without being put down on here or "assuming". Yes, Neil left us way too soon, but at least we got beautiful memories to hold on to of Neil..and of Rush!! Neil would not have want us to be sad at all, but happy that a few or a lot of you saw Rush over the years. I am blessed to be among fans that saw them for the last time in 2015. As for me, I been listening to reseeing the concert films on YT but thankful that I had 10 years with the boys! I feel at home here..

• Like 2

It is, but we must carry on. Neil left us way too early but he left us soooooooo much too! No matter what we all believe in, there is no doubt that "Freewill" is real. Life can be fair, then in a blink of an eye it's unfair.

The cliches of life. Life is a rollercoaster. So many ups and downs. "We Hold On."

Thank you for those comments, guys! I been a bit quiet about my feelings toward Neil's family, but just felt to voice them without being put down on here or "assuming". Yes, Neil left us way too soon, but at least we got beautiful memories to hold on to of Neil..and of Rush!! Neil would not have want us to be sad at all, but happy that a few or a lot of you saw Rush over the years. I am blessed to be among fans that saw them for the last time in 2015. As for me, I been listening to reseeing the concert films on YT but thankful that I had 10 years with the boys! I feel at home here..

Amazing post! Thank you! It is home here.

I haven't been here for tears either, but Neil's death hit me prety hard, much as Jon Lord's had in 2012.

A great musician, gone too soon.

• Like 1

Just gave Scars a listen, is Neil superb on that track or what

Mindyou all three are of course

great track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwPa9yIshw

Many humans on here have ripped "Scars" apart. It's a masterpiece track and Neil's drumming is once again off the charts.

I am sure you real Rush fans know that Neil likes to throw the "Scars" drum pattern in his solos sometimes. Bloody Brilliant. NEIL PEART RULES.

• Like 3

great track!

Many humans on here have ripped "Scars" apart. It's a masterpiece track and Neil's drumming is once again off the charts.

I am sure you real Rush fans know that Neil likes to throw the "Scars" drum pattern in his solos sometimes. Bloody Brilliant. NEIL PEART RULES.

Indeed, absolute masterpiece and interestingly probably only Rush track that would go down great on a nightclub dancefloor. All 3 superb of course but noticeably Al given so much space like never before to just float around between ged's bass & keyboards and Neil's beautiful percussion, just a few seconds where he lets loose, Rush at their creative best

• Like 3

great track!

Indeed, absolute masterpiece and interestingly probably only Rush track that would go down great on a nightclub dancefloor. All 3 superb of course but noticeably Al given so much space like never before to just float around between ged's bass & keyboards and Neil's beautiful percussion, just a few seconds where he lets loose, Rush at their creative best

this ^^

great track!

You Rock!

Are you going to Neil's Tribute Show? I want to get Rush Forum Folks together and drink a beer for Neil!!! First round on me.

RUSH ON!

great track!

Couldn't have put it better myself! For me, "Scars" is undoubtedly one of my favourite tracks off "Presto"...it just shows Rush's versatility as a band...I have always appreciated the rhythm of that track...the bass and drumming are stellar! And yes, I do feel like dancing to it! The moment Geddy said "Hey" and started off with that bass beat, with Neil chiming in, I knew that it was going to be something fantastic, yet different at the same time! :D

great track!

Couldn't have put it better myself! For me, "Scars" is undoubtedly one of my favourite tracks off "Presto"...it just shows Rush's versatility as a band...I have always appreciated the rhythm of that track...the bass and drumming are stellar! And yes, I do feel like dancing to it! The moment Geddy said "Hey" and started off with that bass beat, with Neil chiming in, I knew that it was going to be something fantastic, yet different at the same time! :D

No bass on this song - very unusual.

• Like 1

great track!

I have "Permanent Waves" in my brain, and many "Scars" too since Neil's death.

Neil is the greatest.

great track!

No bass on this song - very unusual. The bass line is a sampled part played on his Wal

• Like 1

great track!

No bass on this song - very unusual. The bass line is a sampled part played on his Wal

So not playing the bass :) :) :)