Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Even the full moon looks different tonight... :(

Not listened to any Rush for a good few weeks and wasnt overly traumatised by Neil's death, was like he'd been gone a while anyway but, just gave Earthshine a hard blast when it came up on YT and was in awe once again at the majesty of this man's playing and lyrics. Tonight was the first time i felt a real sense of grief :(

Different forms of coping, man. It was just the opposite for me. I was instantly shocked and I fell in some kind of Rush-therapy-listening mode, over the last few weeks. I listened to all the studio material, back and forth, and I threw some fine bootlegs in between. Now that he's gone, those live recordings showed me a new facet of appreciation that I haven't known before. I love the man even more now!

I may be a weirdo but I will never lie. I slept with my Neil Peart 747 drumsticks one night after hearing the news.

I can hear you, Earl! I'm even weirder. I'm reading Ghost Rider at the moment and at one point Neil, mentioned a song that he often sang to himself (trying to nail it) while riding his BMW. Now comes the weird part, I listened to the song and I love it! :D

Here you go... Hank Snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGj7-R6WPf4

Then you need to start listening to Frank Sinatra too!

Oh thanks, I'm pretty familiar with the Sinatra catalogue and I like the rest of the Rat Pack too. I planned to see him live in 1997 on his last German tour but, I decided to go see The Who on their Quadrophenia tour. I just came home from a Rush trip to Canada, so Sinatra was a bit too much for me at the time. Man, I wish to invent that f***in' time machine.

• Like 1

I was just listening to Dream Theater's cover of Xanadu. They did a great job, except that the drums don't cut it. Mike Mangini is a monster drummer, yet he's unable to get close to the precision feel of Neil's playing. Neil was THE MAN when it came to drumming.

I was just listening to Dream Theater's cover of Xanadu. They did a great job, except that the drums don't cut it. Mike Mangini is a monster drummer, yet he's unable to get close to the precision feel of Neil's playing. Neil was THE MAN when it came to drumming.

Agreed. Portnoy also can’t deliver the power. Having the chops is only part of the battle.

• Like 1

I'm still having a hard time with this. I was in 9th grade (1983) when someone handed me a cassette tape of Neil's drum solo at that time. I was a drummer in the marching band at school and was a Steve Smith fan. This guy in the drum line says, "here, listen to this." It was Neil. I was blown away. I have been a fan ever since. Only saw them twice - in the 2000's. I really feel this loss like a lot of you do because even though I didn't know him personally, he's part of my growing up and adult years. He was a big influence on me in many ways. What a loss.

I departed from atheism a few years ago and became an Eastern Orthodox Christian. We believe in praying for the dead, especially within the first 40 days after passing, and so this is really all I can do right now. The world was a better place for having had Neil in it and I will miss him. I pray for his family and friends.

• Like 13

I'm still having a hard time with this. I was in 9th grade (1983) when someone handed me a cassette tape of Neil's drum solo at that time. I was a drummer in the marching band at school and was a Steve Smith fan. This guy in the drum line says, "here, listen to this." It was Neil. I was blown away. I have been a fan ever since. Only saw them twice - in the 2000's. I really feel this loss like a lot of you do because even though I didn't know him personally, he's part of my growing up and adult years. He was a big influence on me in many ways. What a loss.

I departed from atheism a few years ago and became an Eastern Orthodox Christian. We believe in praying for the dead, especially within the first 40 days after passing, and so this is really all I can do right now. The world was a better place for having had Neil in it and I will miss him. I pray for his family and friends.

Great post.

Other people here already know this, but my older brother, who turned me on to Rush in 1979-‘80, was inspired to start playing the drums because of Neil (and he was also in marching band!)...and I followed suit just a few years later, due to both my brother and Neil.

:cheers:

• Like 2

Incredible. I was in the 9th grade in 1983. I fell in love with RUSH in 1981.

I feel your pain and understand where you are coming from.

"We Hold On" Holly.......

Hang in there.

• Like 4

Another great article from medium:

https://medium.com/@...ro-d2775dfda119

This describes the essence of Neil's character as an individual, his approach and attitude towards life and fame, etc. I'll admit that there is nothing new here, but the way the writer has expressed so many lovely sentiments about Neil just warms your heart! :)

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 7

Don't go too far

A phosphorescent wave on a tropical sea is a cold fire

Don't cross the line

The pattern of moonlight on the bedroom floor is a cold fire

Don't let me down

The flame at the heart of a pawnbroker's diamond is a cold fire

Don't break the spell

The look in your eyes as you head for the door is a cold fire

Just manged to see "A Show Of Hands" on YT (The full concert) last weekend and just after finishing it, I just broke down and cried- just seeing Neil so young, so full of life, and knowing that he is not coming back, hurts even more. And poor Geddy and Alex, what nightmarish pain they must be going though. Then Olivia, poor girl, she's only 10 years old and was hoping that Neil would be around for everything; her wedding, grandchildren, and more in her life. I miss this dude even more now...

Just manged to see "A Show Of Hands" on YT (The full concert) last weekend and just after finishing it, I just broke down and cried- just seeing Neil so young, so full of life, and knowing that he is not coming back, hurts even more. And poor Geddy and Alex, what nightmarish pain they must be going though. Then Olivia, poor girl, she's only 10 years old and was hoping that Neil would be around for everything; her wedding, grandchildren, and more in her life. I miss this dude even more now...

Having a child at 57 years old, there was little chance that he would be around for these events.

Having a child at 57 years old, there was little chance that he would be around for these events.

Agreed, risky to have a child at that age. But I can understand his decision to do so. So terrible for his wife and daughter.

I finished listening to the 16-hour audiobook of Ghost Rider today. The travel stories were interesting, but the theme that runs through the book is the immense grief and despair and dark shadow that Neil went through for a period of years (which the narrator doesn't really do justice to), which is reflected in his many tears and occasional feelings of disdain for ordinary people. It was a bit too easy to put myself in Neil's shoes (for reasons I won't go into), so experiencing this book was painful for me, and I'm glad to have gotten to the end.

The book ends with the happy story of Neil meeting and marrying Carrie, and returning to a much more positive state of mind and heart, but of course that ending is now bittersweet too, knowing that Neil got only two decades with Carrie and only a decade with his second daughter.

But on a positive note, Neil's story does illustrate how a person can experience terrible tragedy and be brought very low for a long time, but with resilience they can come out the other side - never give up!

I guess, in the end, we can also take consolation in knowing that the vast majority of Neil's 67 years were good years living life the way he wanted to, and in the process he gave the world many gifts through his art and the example of how he lived his life.

Edited by 9/4

Neil's parents must be around 90 now, if he lived as long as them he very probably would be around for these events...

• Like 1

Neil's parents must be around 90 now, if he lived as long as them he very probably would be around for these events...

It's not just about being around, parents also need to have health and energy to spend time with their kids and take care of them until they can be fully independent, without putting a burden on their kids due to their own health issues.

• Like 2

The bottom line is 67 is way to young to go even though when it's your time, it's your time. I really thought Neil was getting healthier actually after the R40 Tour. Thought he was going to get in shape, ride his motorcycle and raise Olivia. It's very sad still. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Neil. A man who gave so much to the world and ended up in a tragic reality. We typed about this before but man. Neil never saw Selena graduate college. Get a career. Fall in love. Get married. Hold a grandchild. Now Olivia will grow up and her father won't be able to see her blossom in life. Flat out sucks, but Neil's Legacy will carry on for all eternity.

• Like 7

The bottom line is 67 is way to young to go even though when it's your time, it's your time. I really thought Neil was getting healthier actually after the R40 Tour. Thought he was going to get in shape, ride his motorcycle and raise Olivia. It's very sad still. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about Neil. A man who gave so much to the world and ended up in a tragic reality. We typed about this before but man. Neil never saw Selena graduate college. Get a career. Fall in love. Get married. Hold a grandchild. Now Olivia will grow up and her father won't be able to see her blossom in life. Flat out sucks, but Neil's Legacy will carry on for all eternity.

Life is definitely unfair.

• Like 2

Life is definitely unfair.

It is, but we must carry on. Neil left us way too early but he left us soooooooo much too! No matter what we all believe in, there is no doubt that "Freewill" is real. Life can be fair, then in a blink of an eye it's unfair.

The cliches of life. Life is a rollercoaster. So many ups and downs. "We Hold On."

I'm always amazed by Neil. He's the kind of guy you could point to biking around some foreign country, or reading a book in some nowhere diner, and quietly tell your buddy "bet you didn't know that man there is the greatest drummer in the world." And on top of that, he just took on life in an incredibly challenging way, challenging only because it's basically the right way, and nothing good comes easy. My alarm these days plays Something For Nothing. I'm not great at waking up, Neil, but I'm trying!! Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 3

I'm always amazed by Neil. He's the kind of guy you could point to biking around some foreign country, or reading a book in some nowhere diner, and quietly tell your buddy "bet you didn't know that man there is the greatest drummer in the world." And on top of that, he just took on life in an incredibly challenging way, challenging only because it's basically the right way, and nothing good comes easy. My alarm these days plays Something For Nothing. I'm not great at waking up, Neil, but I'm trying!!

I love you and bathory. Great post.

Signed,

"The Kids Are Alright"

I adore Myles too. "I Can See For Miles."

Yep, I'm a dork.

I will never grow up. Hell I was married to Wendy for 19 years. I'm Peter Pan.

• Like 2

I'm always amazed by Neil. He's the kind of guy you could point to biking around some foreign country, or reading a book in some nowhere diner, and quietly tell your buddy "bet you didn't know that man there is the greatest drummer in the world." And on top of that, he just took on life in an incredibly challenging way, challenging only because it's basically the right way, and nothing good comes easy. My alarm these days plays Something For Nothing. I'm not great at waking up, Neil, but I'm trying!!

I love you and bathory. Great post.

Signed,

"The Kids Are Alright"

I adore Myles too. "I Can See For Miles."

Yep, I'm a dork.

I will never grow up. Hell I was married to Wendy for 19 years. I'm Peter Pan.

But I will play my ass off on the drums to Rush music Forever.

• Like 1

It's not just about being around, parents also need to have health and energy to spend time with their kids and take care of them until they can be fully independent, without putting a burden on their kids due to their own health issues.

Agreed. Not fair for any child to have parents as old as other children's grandparents.

Agreed. Not fair for any child to have parents as old as other children's grandparents.

Neil appreciated science, and he probably would have understood the evolutionary reasons for why male and female fertility and sex drive start to drop off in middle age, with prime years to have children being in the 20s and 30s.