Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I've been continuing to play drums along with Rush tracks (using Roland e-drums, so it's easy to mix the tracks and my drums), and have made some observations:

- Neil's drum sound is fairly dry, without booming reverb, etc. This makes the sound of the drums quite clear, with each piece of the kit easy to pick out. It also means that, in order for the drums to sound powerful, you have to play with power - Neil didn't cheat!

- Neil's drum fills are highly musical, and they integrate perfectly into the music. In fact, the fills are essential to the music, since Rush music tends to have a lot of content (hence the question "how can three guys make so much music?!"), and the fills provide musical content in places where it wouldn't sound right for the guitar, bass, and vocals to do so.

- Aside from the necessary drum fills, Neil's playing was often on the understated side. He definitely didn't overplay in general. I feel like Neil's baseline of slight understatement brought the fills into sharper relief.

- Air/mind drumming Rush songs for years and decades will actually help you play the drum parts on real drums! I played along with 2112 yesterday, which I haven't listened to for years and which I've never before attempted to play drums along with, and it was a bit eerie how readily I at least got the gist of most of the drum parts right on the first try.

Playing along with the drum parts reinforces my (subjective) opinion that Neil was the greatest drummer ever in any 'rock' genre. Lots of other drummers have had chops, but no one else has had Neil's combination of chops, composition, precision, innovation, and musicality.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 4

Just watched Beyond the Lighted Stage too, the first real go at listening or watching anything Rush since the news.

It was very hard and I am in pieces again. I think what is most upsetting is that what shines through that film is the incredible friendship of the three of them, and all I could think about was how devastated Alex and Geddy must be.

This doesn't get any easier. Just needed to share with you good people.

Edited by Tim091
  • Like 6

Yep I watched BTLS also and it was a whole different experience this time.

I've been watching it this week. I just sigh and frown when you-know-who is on the screen. :( :( :(

• Like 1

He was one of the BEST interviews in rock music. Always so eloquent, thoughtful and well spoken. I will miss him talking as much as drumming.

I agree, and it truly ran counter to the image some people had of him being boorish and grumpy (an impression that was picked up from what, photographs?). Absolutely was not the case at all.

• Like 5

Yep I watched BTLS also and it was a whole different experience this time.

Same for me. Just watched it, and 10x more impact now than when I watched it before. My wife isn't really a Rush fan, but she watched it with me and liked it.

Rush Didact, your facebook post was eerily similar to the one I posted on facebook, which I will also share. Here's my "tldr" post -- it's how i dealt with Neil's passing. . .

You don't have to read this if you don't want to. It's long and it's personal and probably self-indulgent. So be it.

I never met Neil personally, and never felt a need to. In my late teens as I began to explore the theories behind rhythm and drumming I kept finding myself in awe of Neil Peart.

Drums.

He had the power of the best rock drummers, but the discipline to hold back. Speed, cross sticking and technical ability of the best jazz drummers. An understanding of melody and form and time and rhythm and the knowledge to know how to balance ridiculous ability and the musicality of a song. His solos were works of art unmatched in their time. He rewrote the musical vocabulary of drumming, and his influence is all around.

Words.

Those who don't fully appreciate philosophy and science and art and love and beauty and how it applies to the best in humanity will never appreciate the words he wrote. He avoided the cheap rhyme, never took the easy word, always thought in layers and concept. There is a crisp and distinct difference in my lyrics pre and post-Rush influence.

I loved his books -- yes, he's an author. I have several signed copies of his travel log books.

Life.

I can't explain the depth of his influence on me. Obviously, things like the sticks I use to play, the DW and Roland drums I chose, the snare sound I prefer, the lyrics I write. But there's much more. The philosophy I've read. Numerous friendships and friend circles directly and indirectly caused by a shared love of Rush's music, or Neil's words. Including some of you. Late night discussions over the real meaning of a song like "Grand Designs" or what we would say to him if we ever did meet him. "Driven" was my theme song in the mid-90's and it fueled some permanent changes in my life.

There's no way you can truly know me and say you haven't heard me mention Rush (or Toto).

Journey and Heart taught my musical heart. Toto taught my musical soul.

But Rush taught my musical brain. Rush taught me not only to break typical formulas, but that we should create our own.

Neil was the mentor I never met. My sensei.

Thank you, Neil.

Goodbye.

• Like 5

Rush Didact, your facebook post was eerily similar to the one I posted on facebook, which I will also share. Here's my "tldr" post -- it's how i dealt with Neil's passing. . .

You don't have to read this if you don't want to. It's long and it's personal and probably self-indulgent. So be it.

I never met Neil personally, and never felt a need to. In my late teens as I began to explore the theories behind rhythm and drumming I kept finding myself in awe of Neil Peart.

Drums.

He had the power of the best rock drummers, but the discipline to hold back. Speed, cross sticking and technical ability of the best jazz drummers. An understanding of melody and form and time and rhythm and the knowledge to know how to balance ridiculous ability and the musicality of a song. His solos were works of art unmatched in their time. He rewrote the musical vocabulary of drumming, and his influence is all around.

Words.

Those who don't fully appreciate philosophy and science and art and love and beauty and how it applies to the best in humanity will never appreciate the words he wrote. He avoided the cheap rhyme, never took the easy word, always thought in layers and concept. There is a crisp and distinct difference in my lyrics pre and post-Rush influence.

I loved his books -- yes, he's an author. I have several signed copies of his travel log books.

Life.

I can't explain the depth of his influence on me. Obviously, things like the sticks I use to play, the DW and Roland drums I chose, the snare sound I prefer, the lyrics I write. But there's much more. The philosophy I've read. Numerous friendships and friend circles directly and indirectly caused by a shared love of Rush's music, or Neil's words. Including some of you. Late night discussions over the real meaning of a song like "Grand Designs" or what we would say to him if we ever did meet him. "Driven" was my theme song in the mid-90's and it fueled some permanent changes in my life.

There's no way you can truly know me and say you haven't heard me mention Rush (or Toto).

Journey and Heart taught my musical heart. Toto taught my musical soul.

But Rush taught my musical brain. Rush taught me not only to break typical formulas, but that we should create our own.

Neil was the mentor I never met. My sensei.

Thank you, Neil.

Goodbye.

Amazing post. Welcome!

He was one of the BEST interviews in rock music. Always so eloquent, thoughtful and well spoken. I will miss him talking as much as drumming.

And easy work for interviewers, they would ask a question and twenty minutes later he would still be answering it :)

• Like 6

And easy work for interviewers, they would ask a question and twenty minutes later he would still be answering it :)

Neil was the best!

A very humble human in touch with his craft and intellect.

In interviews, seminars, drum clinics the man was open and engaging like "The Great Communicator."

When alone or approached by his fans, he would be the complete opposite. He would clam up and hide inside his own protective shell.

Trust me. I met him, and I saw it with my own eyes.

But I never thought Neil was a "jerk." An "asshole" for doing that. The man wanted his privacy and space. I totally get it. I mean especially when I met him on the "Vapor Trails" Tour.

Geddy and Alex were doing the proverbial "meet and greet." Neil was just chilling out on his bus with his motorcycles still out at dusk.

I will never understand why Neil came out off his bus to flag down a staff member at the Concord Pavilion while my ex wife and ex bro in law were simply walking away yet still in ear shot when he said "hello... hello."

Thought he was saying that to me and the rest was history.....

It is what it is. Neil RULES! FOREVER!! I love him so much!!! No one can ever take that away from me. Never...........

• Like 2

I have a drum stick signed by Neil. My sister used to work at a high end photo developer back in the day, where Neil got his photos developed. She set it up when he was coming in. I was there but did not approach him and she had him sign it. that was the deal and I stuck by it. Probably a good thing as I would have definitely done the big fan thing!
  • Like 8

Time Stand Still is circulating on Shaw these days. I have seen it a couple of times, but lately of course it gets me right in the feels.

The editing, mixing, footage - all awesome!

What an amazing, mature, strong trio. Always knew it, but up to the end they were a team. Feeling lots of love for all three and their families.

• Like 1

I have a drum stick signed by Neil. My sister used to work at a high end photo developer back in the day, where Neil got his photos developed. She set it up when he was coming in. I was there but did not approach him and she had him sign it. that was the deal and I stuck by it. Probably a good thing as I would have definitely done the big fan thing!

Cool story buddy.

Gah, I thought of posting this fresh, but not sure where.

There are a lot of topics and threads in these forums - awesome - but I am still learning the wit and implications of the organisation.

I didn't see how to edit my post above. This movie business is almost off topic, but I wanted to add an opinion of what I said about Time Stand Still.

Yes, Beyond The Lighted Stage is an amazing movie. Time Stand Still feels really polished and I felt the mixing/editing was better. They are just different movies.

HOWEVER... :)

TSS was heavily focused on the fans and what they mean to the band, and to other fans. The awesome fan base Rush has grown with.

BTLS was heavily focused on the band, and yes the fans too.

BUT, I don't think an outsider or recently welcomed fan can appreciate the shear commitment, the huge attachment of the band, as in TSS, without

watching BTLS. It is that whole journey of development, preferring some albums over others, the changes in their music, what the band went through to get where they are, why the crowds are so big - to see why the fans are so amazing in the second movie.

OK, thanks.

(Found the Edit button at the bottom - should have started with "Ach".

Edited by Bahamas

Even the full moon looks different tonight... :(

Not listened to any Rush for a good few weeks and wasnt overly traumatised by Neil's death, was like he'd been gone a while anyway but, just gave Earthshine a hard blast when it came up on YT and was in awe once again at the majesty of this man's playing and lyrics. Tonight was the first time i felt a real sense of grief :(

• Like 1

Not listened to any Rush for a good few weeks and wasnt overly traumatised by Neil's death, was like he'd been gone a while anyway but, just gave Earthshine a hard blast when it came up on YT and was in awe once again at the majesty of this man's playing and lyrics. Tonight was the first time i felt a real sense of grief :(

Different forms of coping, man. It was just the opposite for me. I was instantly shocked and I fell in some kind of Rush-therapy-listening mode, over the last few weeks. I listened to all the studio material, back and forth, and I threw some fine bootlegs in between. Now that he's gone, those live recordings showed me a new facet of appreciation that I haven't known before. I love the man even more now!

• Like 4

Different forms of coping, man. It was just the opposite for me. I was instantly shocked and I fell in some kind of Rush-therapy-listening mode, over the last few weeks. I listened to all the studio material, back and forth, and I threw some fine bootlegs in between. Now that he's gone, those live recordings showed me a new facet of appreciation that I haven't known before. I love the man even more now!

I may be a weirdo but I will never lie. I slept with my Neil Peart 747 drumsticks one night after hearing the news.

• Like 6

I may be a weirdo but I will never lie. I slept with my Neil Peart 747 drumsticks one night after hearing the news.

I get it. I bought a pair of those drumsticks after Neil passed. I tried them the other day, and found them too heavy for me - I guess Neil was pretty strong to be able to move those sticks so fast.

• Like 4

I can hear you, Earl! I'm even weirder. I'm reading Ghost Rider at the moment and at one point Neil, mentioned a song that he often sang to himself (trying to nail it) while riding his BMW. Now comes the weird part, I listened to the song and I love it! :D

Here you go... Hank Snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGj7-R6WPf4

• Like 3

I get it. I bought a pair of those drumsticks after Neil passed. I tried them the other day, and found them too heavy for me - I guess Neil was pretty strong to be able to move those sticks so fast.

At 6' 4" he was lager than life on drums.

I can hear you, Earl! I'm even weirder. I'm reading Ghost Rider at the moment and at one point Neil, mentioned a song that he often sang to himself (trying to nail it) while riding his BMW. Now comes the weird part, I listened to the song and I love it! :D

Here you go... Hank Snow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGj7-R6WPf4

Then you need to start listening to Frank Sinatra too!

• Like 1