Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I’m still all over the place. I’ve been on a diet of mostly Rush. Still feels unreal.

We’ve been planning a trip to Ontario and New England for a few weeks and now I’m absolutely determined to weave in a visit to Lakeside Park. I had previously declared no interest in seeing Niagara again when there are so many other wonders to see, but I have obviously changed my mind. My husband is onto me, but seems to be happy to humour his mad wife.

Still glad you lot are here to make me feel less deranged.

I'm still listening to a lot of Rush as well during workouts.

Yesterday I kept hitting repeat on "The Weapon". It's a favorite of mine anyway, in no small part because of the instrumental bridge. But now I am really listening to it. Not to give Geddy short shrift here or anything, but that section is so completely The Alex And Neil Show. You can listen to just the drums, or just the guitar, and be blown away by either one on its own merits....or be rendered speechless by the way the Neil and Alex complement each other.

Damn, I will miss those moments. Not fair. And Keith Richards endures....

Love that song. My favorite from Signals. The thing is you can listen to any of their songs that intently and feel the exact same way. I’ve often marveled at the tiny parts each one adds that fits so perfect at that point of the song. For me, especially with Alex. Some of his fills are genius.

Agree about Keith Richards. After watching the Grammy’s, add Joe Perry and Steven Tyler to that “not fair” list.

Dear God,

I will trade you Justin Bieber and all of the Kardashians for Neil Peart.

Signed,

Mara

Dear Mara,

Are you on crack? Not a f***ing chance in Hell (that lot aren’t welcome there either) or anywhere else! I can’t blame you for trying, though you know that’s nowhere near a fair swap.

Signed,

God

Edited by Mara
  • Like 6

Dear God,

I will trade you Justin Bieber and all of the Kardashians for Neil Peart.

Signed,

Mara

Dear Mara,

Are you on crack? Not a f***ing chance in Hell (that lot aren’t welcome there either) or anywhere else! I can’t blame you for trying, though you know that’s nowhere near a fair swap.

Signed,

God

Mara!

You amaze me! Simply incredible.

If you and I had a baby together his name would be Neil Peart Jr.....................................

• Like 1

I just made an effort to play drums along with Grace Under Pressure. A couple tracks were too far out of my reach, but for most I was able to at least channel much of Neil's spirit (maybe wearing his signature drumming shoes helped!). It felt good to be connected to Neil this way. I still think he's the most musical drummer ever in any 'rock' genre (though a lot of Rush doesn't sound like 'rock' to me; I think of Rush as being it's own genre - it's just Rush). And yes, you have to play with power when you play Neil's music, that's what the music requires. I can totally see how touring would have been tough on his body, especially as he got older.

I've also been listening to Ghost Rider on audible, and have started reading the book about Neil by Brad Birzer.

This immersion in many things Neil maybe helps to keep my sadness going, but I don't want to try to put Neil out of my mind. I'm realizing that Neil's influence on my life is too deep for that to be the right path. Instead, I'm choosing to go in the opposite direction and rediscover Neil and Rush, keeping them in my heart and mind.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 5

I just made an effort to play drums along with Grace Under Pressure. A couple tracks were too far out of my reach, but for most I was able to at least channel much of Neil's spirit (maybe wearing his signature drumming shoes helped!). It felt good to be connected to Neil this way. I still think he's the most musical drummer ever in any 'rock' genre (though a lot of Rush doesn't sound like 'rock' to me; I think of Rush as being it's own genre - it's just Rush). And yes, you have to play with power when you play Neil's music, that's what the music requires. I can totally see how touring would have been tough on his body, especially as he got older.

I've also been listening to Ghost Rider on audible, and have started reading the book about Neil by Brad Birzer.

This immersion in many things Neil maybe helps to keep my sadness going, but I don't want to try to put Neil out of my mind. I'm realizing that Neil's influence on my life is too deep for that to be the right path. Instead, I'm choosing to go in the opposite direction and rediscover Neil and Rush, keeping them in my heart and mind.

GUP has very special memories for me too. As you said the realization of Neil’s deep influence on ones life. Lately, like many, I’ve been in album after Rush album and Neil’s books too.

Even though Rush for me were not the ending point but more the starting, (Exit...SL with radio simulcast in early 80’s,) as I went on to heavier metal and it’s many genres. Still I would always go back to Rush cause their work was so foundational to so many a style of metal. So full circle.

• Like 3

How is everyone holding up? We good Rush fam?

I welled up a bit today listening to Bravado. But, it's a hell of a lot easier to enjoy Rush again. Still won't be the same, The music has changed for me.

Everything sounds more.....raw. Almost like i'm rediscovering Rush.

• Like 1

Listened to Xanadu tonight and as Geddy screamed out "nevermore shall I return...", tears started to flow (yet again). Holy smokes, this hit came right out of nowhere. I'm listening to the whole catalogue, back and forth, at the moment, guess that's my way traveling down the healing road. I'm just overwhelmed (yet again) by their musical output. So highly impressive! UNTOUCHABLE!!! It just makes me happy that I discovered this band as early as I did... Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 9

Listened to Xanadu tonight and as Geddy screamed out "nevermore shall I return...", tears started to flow (yet again). Holy smokes, this hit came right out of nowhere. I'm listening to the whole catalogue, back and forth, at the moment, guess that's my way traveling down the healing road. I'm just overwhelmed (yet again) by their musical output. So highly impressive! UNTOUCHABLE!!! It just makes me happy that I discovered this band as early as I did...

I feel the same!

• Like 2

Hanging in there. I admit that I am still really struggling with this. Neil made a much bigger impact in my life than I thought.

It became all the more real and brutally final when I watched that wretched "In Memoriam" segment at this year's Grammy's. *Sigh! :(

Anyway, here is a lovely tribute for everyone to enjoy: https://www.theguard...er-appreciation

It is an old piece, but it made me smile, so I thought that I'll post it here.

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 4

Hanging in there. I admit that I am still really struggling with this. Neil made a much bigger impact in my life than I thought.

It became all the more real and brutally final when I watched that wretched "In Memoriam" segment at this year's Grammy's. *Sigh! :(

Anyway, here is a lovely tribute for everyone to enjoy: https://www.theguard...er-appreciation

Thanks for sharing Pree. :)

Good read. That first pic of Neil is just magical. Haven't seen this one before so I'm gonna post it in the fave Neil pics thread. Wow, great moment it time. Love it!

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 3

Depending on traffic,there are times I drive home from work through the neighborhood whereI lived in 1980. It's where I became a lifelong Rush fan at age 13.Drove through there last week thinking of all the great times I had with long-gone friends who also liked Rush,and felt like I had lost a close friend.Neil was such a big part of my life and I'm so glad I was able to make so many memories because of him.Trips to concerts with family and friends.Introducing Rush to coworkers and friends over the years.And especially for watching my girlfriend/wife turn into a Rush fan.She even went to a Rush show when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant with our son.Still hard to believe my hero is gone,but damn...so lucky to have been along for so much of his journey. Edited by NinjaRider
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting the article, it made me smile as well. Read it while listening to Amazon Music The Greatest Songs by RUSH in particular La Villa Strangiato. Its my number one or two RUSH song depending on my mood with the Camera Eye or RedAector A. I'm still trying to deal with this loss, at times it just feels like I lost my favorite uncle. Take care everyone

• Like 1

Just got a new iPhone. Had to put a really, really, REALLY COOL wallpaper on it.

4J30ukh.jpg

• Like 12

In studying Neil's work, I'm increasingly realizing that he can't be put in any standard category in terms of ideology, political views, worldview, etc. Applying labels like "individualist" to him can shed some light in some contexts, but it can also be quite misleading. Fundamentally, I think Neil was a reflective, searching, and relatively open-minded person who evolved over the course of his life's journey, and blended simplicity and complexity within the same person (he "contained multitudes"). That describes me fairly well too (and I suspect the vast majority of Rush fans), which is probably part of the reason I've felt a connection to Neil and Rush for the past four decades.
  • Like 3

In studying Neil's work, I'm increasingly realizing that he can't be put in any standard category in terms of ideology, political views, worldview, etc. Applying labels like "individualist" to him can shed some light in some contexts, but it can also be quite misleading. Fundamentally, I think Neil was a reflective, searching, and relatively open-minded person who evolved over the course of his life's journey, and blended simplicity and complexity within the same person (he "contained multitudes"). That describes me fairly well too (and I suspect the vast majority of Rush fans), which is probably part of the reason I've felt a connection to Neil and Rush for the past four decades.

Thou shall not pigeonhole!

:tsk: :no:

Thanks for sharing Pree. :)

Good read. That first pic of Neil is just magical. Haven't seen this one before so I'm gonna post it in the fave Neil pics thread. Wow, great moment it time. Love it!

You're very welcome! :) And I felt the same way about that photo too! :D The moment you look at it, you think to yourself, "Now this is a guy who put his heart and soul into his craft!". This is probably the most inspiring photo I have seen in a while! Whenever I feel down and out and unmotivated, I just stare at that photo for 5 to 10 minutes and I am ready to take on the world! You can see the passion while he thunders on with that gorgeous drum kit! :wub:

Boy! Were we lucky to have existed when Neil Peart existed!!

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 2

Thanks for posting the article, it made me smile as well. Read it while listening to Amazon Music The Greatest Songs by RUSH in particular La Villa Strangiato. Its my number one or two RUSH song depending on my mood with the Camera Eye or RedAector A. I'm still trying to deal with this loss, at times it just feels like I lost my favorite uncle. Take care everyone

You're very welcome! I'm glad it did! :) And thanks for the tip! There is nothing more that I love doing than listening to Rush! :D

I am still finding my way through the grief at the moment. It is taking me a long time to heal from his passing, but I am not surprised at all to be honest, given his profound impact on all of us! I'll probably never fully heal from the shock.

Do take care of yourself and do log on to the forums whenever you're feeling down. I do whenever I am feeling down about Neil and it is very therapeutic!

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 1

Neil even sometimes applied such labels to himself (e.g., "bleeding heart libertarian"), to help people understand his point of view and correct misconceptions about his point of view. But I think such labels could be misleading even when he applied them to himself.

I would guess that most Rush fans avoid such labels, with a larger percentage than the general population being politically independent; religiously non-believers or agnostics while skeptical of organized religion; spiritually open-minded; philosophically pluralistic, pragmatic, stoic, existentialist, and non-dogmatic; artistically eclectic; and generally inclined towards Aristotelian moderation.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 3

Neil even sometimes applied such labels to himself (e.g., "bleeding heart libertarian"), to help people understand his point of view and correct misconceptions about his point of view. But I think such labels could be misleading even when he applied them to himself.

I would guess that most Rush fans avoid such labels, with a larger percentage than the general population being politically independent; religiously non-believers or agnostics while skeptical of organized religion; spiritually open-minded; philosophically pluralistic, pragmatic, stoic, existentialist, and non-dogmatic; artistically eclectic; and generally inclined towards Aristotelian moderation.

Indeed, the only way to truly know a person like Neil (or anyone) is to spend time with him. Not just a 5-minute or even an hour interview, but spend real time with him. Walk a mile in his shoes, as the adage says.

I detest labels. It's an intellectually lazy, inaccurate and counterproductive way to understand or describe someone. I've been called names from both ends of the political spectrum. I just laugh at those uninformed, ignorant people.

• Like 1

I hate signing on and seeing the header with his picture and then seeing this as the pinned post. It's still a bit surreal.
  • Like 3

I hate signing on and seeing the header with his picture and then seeing this as the pinned post. It's still a bit surreal.

Surreal is right. Even though he was retired already, the void that his death leaves on the musical (and literary, and intellectual) landscape is painfully fresh.

:rose: :rose:

• Like 4

Surreal is right. Even though he was retired already, the void that his death leaves on the musical (and literary, and intellectual) landscape is painfully fresh.

:rose: :rose:

I knew you'd get what I meant.

I still thinking of Geddy and Alex...I hope they are doing ok amid this huge loss..I been thinking alot of them every single day now and still listening to Rush (I hope a few of you are as well too) and I hope that we are coming back to life again...I miss you all still.
  • Like 1