Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I was cleaning out a corner of my room and came upon an 11 x 14 envelope addressed to me with my return address in the corner. I noticed it was from Seattle and couldn't remember what it was.

It was the issue of Rolling Stone that has Rush on the cover that had been autographed by them during the show in Seattle during R40. The first person my eyes fell on was Neil. I started crying. He looked so happy in that picture and made me wonder if the photographer hadn't maybe been Carrie. Then I remembered that it had been Neil who wrote so nicely: To Lorraine. It made me cry more, and that sent me on a crying jag for the next few hours.

I felt so bad. He was too young to go. He didn't deserve such a cruel ending either.

Rest in peace, Neil.

You will be missed.

P.S. I'm a little late to this, but I do have a lot going on and many other important things on my mind and to do. I simply did not and do not have the luxury of grieving anyone at the moment.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 9

Ha ha good story Earl. I have a bus story where I met my other drum hero Buddy Rich. Although Buddy turned out to be the good guy.

Hahaha! Thanks "Buddy!" Pun intended! You lucky guy! Buddy Rules!!!

Earl I bet you've been listening to Metal Church recently.

I love Metal Church mate!

Cranking "Dawn Patrol" by Night Ranger! Night Ranger is a week away! Playing "Dawn" and "Midnight" all the way through. Encore "Seven Wishes" stuff! I'm jazzed!!

I told you my little story about taking my ex wife down to LA for the Rush Induction right?

Wendy and I were walking out of our hotel and there was Jack Blades.

I know Brad Gillis so you know me Pat I have no fear meeting celebrities. Well ironically, with Neil yes.

But I was wearing my RASH Tee to the induction. We ran up to Jack to say hello. Jack loved my shirt. I told him my passion for the band and how Neil was always my drumming mentor since the seventh grade.

Jack told me... "Well Earl it's so nice to meet the biggest RUSH fan on the planet! I am going in right now to watch Rush do soundcheck. When I meet up with Geddy, Alex and Neil I will tell them that their biggest fan is here."

It was very sweet Pat regardless if it was never said. Didn't matter. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat on mushrooms.

Flattered.

All the guys in Night Ranger are nice!

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

I wonder if Jack Blades was starstruck when he first teamed up with TED NUGENT in Damn Yankees??

Dude!

You are talking to a guy who saw STYX or as you would say STNX and Night Ranger at Thunder Valley last summer. It was Epic. They played a Damn Yankee song together. Tommy Shaw joined Night Ranger to perform it. It was incredible.

It was half a reunion buddy!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

And don't forget Jeff Porcaro, Cozy Powell, Randy Castillo, Eric Carr, John Bonham and your father Earl Palmer!

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

Another quick drumming story for you and the few who read my stuff!!

I tool Wendy many many many years ago to see Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco. It was in the Castro District. The Gay Community Of The World.

I didn't care dude!

It was at some underground bistro bar with a small stage! It was an incredible night.

Wendy and I got to the little venue early.

We snuck into sound check.

I remember it like it was yesterday. So funny how so many on here think I'm a drug addict and insane. I've never blacked out in my life and I remember every concert that I have been to since my first. The Who and The Clash in 1982!

Pat!

Wendy and I sat on these red carpet steps near the door and watched the Carl Palmer Band just shred in soundcheck.

It was amazing. After it ending security asked us to leave. I guess they thought we were part of the group. LOL!

Come on dude. I'm an ok looking dude but I had the hot blonde. I always called Wendy my "Pick Magnet." Everywhere we went in the pit. From Alex Lifeson to John Petrucci. Picks given to my ex wife.

But Pat, I love typing my stories. Carl Palmer Band was incredible. They played so much ELP, ASIA and I think even some YES. Carl's guitar player was some young gun. Played a guitar solo with an electric tooth brush. Incredible shit.

After the show I met Carl. Sweet man. Signed everything. We talked about his time in ELP and ASIA. I remember that night they even played "Love Beach." Carl even made fun it it. But they played it.

Many moons later I took my parents to see the original ASIA line up in SF. It was their last show in the USA before Japan.

Another Epic show. They played the entire first ASIA record all the way through.

I could write a book that no one would read! LOL!

We are drummers. We are the Drummer Collective. We drummers are a rare breed and we stick together like glue.

Neil Peart will always be my number one guy. My musical mentor.

I am sharing stories on Neil's thread about my passion for other drummers who I was so lucky to meet.

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

I was just cranking a Rainbow Live In Germany double cd Pat. COZY!!!

Crazy timing.

I'm glad people think I'm nuts!

I see the connections. I see and feel the love.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl I don't think you're a drug addict or insane but I have to admit I do usually visualise you dressed up in your black metal outfit with make-up and cheesy wig running amok in Northern California, lighting fires and screaming like a banshee. It's like the Earl black metal Witch Hunt, but I think you're looking for Brian Johnson fans!

Hahahaha!! I LOVE MY FRIENDS ON HERE! I AM LUCKY!!! CAPS ON!!!!

Thanks Pat for making me laugh too! You have been cracking me up for almost 14 years!!! YOU RULE!

• Like 2

Ha ha good story Earl. I have a bus story where I met my other drum hero Buddy Rich. Although Buddy turned out to be the good guy.

Cranking "Dawn Patrol" by Night Ranger! Night Ranger is a week away! Playing "Dawn" and "Midnight" all the way through. Encore "Seven Wishes" stuff! I'm jazzed!!

I told you my little story about taking my ex wife down to LA for the Rush Induction right?

I know Brad Gillis so you know me Pat I have no fear meeting celebrities. Well ironically, with Neil yes.

But I was wearing my RASH Tee to the induction. We ran up to Jack to say hello. Jack loved my shirt. I told him my passion for the band and how Neil was always my drumming mentor since the seventh grade.

Jack told me... "Well Earl it's so nice to meet the biggest RUSH fan on the planet! I am going in right now to watch Rush do soundcheck. When I meet up with Geddy, Alex and Neil I will tell them that their biggest fan is here."

It was very sweet Pat regardless if it was never said. Didn't matter. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat on mushrooms.

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

I wonder if Jack Blades was starstruck when he first teamed up with TED NUGENT in Damn Yankees??

Dude!

You are talking to a guy who saw STYX or as you would say STNX and Night Ranger at Thunder Valley last summer. It was Epic. They played a Damn Yankee song together. Tommy Shaw joined Night Ranger to perform it. It was incredible.

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

And don't forget Jeff Porcaro, Cozy Powell, Randy Castillo, Eric Carr, John Bonham and your father Earl Palmer!

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I tool Wendy many many many years ago to see Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco. It was in the Castro District. The Gay Community Of The World.

I didn't care dude!

It was at some underground bistro bar with a small stage! It was an incredible night.

I remember it like it was yesterday. So funny how so many on here think I'm a drug addict and insane. I've never blacked out in my life and I remember every concert that I have been to since my first. The Who and The Clash in 1982!

Pat!

Wendy and I sat on these red carpet steps near the door and watched the Carl Palmer Band just shred in soundcheck.

It was amazing. After it ending security asked us to leave. I guess they thought we were part of the group. LOL!

Come on dude. I'm an ok looking dude but I had the hot blonde. I always called Wendy my "Pick Magnet." Everywhere we went in the pit. From Alex Lifeson to John Petrucci. Picks given to my ex wife.

But Pat, I love typing my stories. Carl Palmer Band was incredible. They played so much ELP, ASIA and I think even some YES. Carl's guitar player was some young gun. Played a guitar solo with an electric tooth brush. Incredible shit.

After the show I met Carl. Sweet man. Signed everything. We talked about his time in ELP and ASIA. I remember that night they even played "Love Beach." Carl even made fun it it. But they played it.

Many moons later I took my parents to see the original ASIA line up in SF. It was their last show in the USA before Japan.

Another Epic show. They played the entire first ASIA record all the way through.

We are drummers. We are the Drummer Collective. We drummers are a rare breed and we stick together like glue.

I am sharing stories on Neil's thread about my passion for other drummers who I was so lucky to meet.

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl, if you wrote a book about your life and rock and roll, I think you'd be surprised how many people would love to read it!

You are amazing my friend. You are about to make me tear up. Means a lot. I love you little brother.

• Like 3

Still finding my way through the grief. It was a double whammy for me when I heard about Terry Jones' passing. The grim reaper has been a sick, sick bastard this year!

This helped me smile a little...

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

I mean this in no disrespect, but I can't believe this. I am literally listening to my Japanese cd pressing of Grim Reaper right now on my stereo. "See You In Hell." A great old school metal record.

Timing is everything and I believe in everything.

Well Pat. I'm not into Black Metal, but I do love Grim Reaper.

R.I.P. NEIL PEART! THE GREATEST! A Beacon Of Light for all of humanity to embrace.......................................................

• Like 3

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I didn't care dude!

Pat!

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl I don't think you're a drug addict or insane but I have to admit I do usually visualise you dressed up in your black metal outfit with make-up and cheesy wig running amok in Northern California, lighting fires and screaming like a banshee. It's like the Earl black metal Witch Hunt, but I think you're looking for Brian Johnson fans!

Thanks Pat for making me laugh too! You have been cracking me up for almost 14 years!!! YOU RULE!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

• Like 1

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I didn't care dude!

Pat!

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

I mean it buddy!

I have received so many wonderful pms on here after Neil's passing. Even strangers pm me and they are so nice and enduring.

I have always loved this Forum even though you and I Pat like to rock the boat so to speak!

It's ok!

At the end of the day we are one hell of a RUSH FAMILY on here!

Neil's passing has brought all of us close again!

No time for drama mama!

WE ARE ONE!

NEIL PEART!!!!!!! THE GREATEST!!!!

• Like 4

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I didn't care dude!

Pat!

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

I mean it buddy!

I have received so many wonderful pms on here after Neil's passing. Even strangers pm me and they are so nice and enduring.

I have always loved this Forum even though you and I Pat like to rock the boat so to speak!

It's ok!

At the end of the day we are one hell of a RUSH FAMILY on here!

Neil's passing has brought all of us close again!

No time for drama mama!

WE ARE ONE!

NEIL PEART!!!!!!! THE GREATEST!!!!

To quote myself "...aye!"

Found this on Youtube, apologies if it was posted earlier. Been a fan for 37 years and Neil still blows me away. Neil's isolated drums on TSOR live:

Pretty sure that is the permanent waves version, and it is a reminder that when you think you can play something.. When you realise what is going on.. You realise that you can't!!

• Like 1

Still can't believe it, but it's gotten easier by re-listening to Rush every day since. Hopefully the Sirius channel sticks around .. I love having the random mix of songs I wouldn't have necessarily picked. I also love listening to the drums on By-Tor .. he just sounds like he was hitting the ground running, totally on fire with his playing on that track.

One tangent thought I've had lately is that I bet this also marks the end of Geddy's book signings. Doesn't seem like like he would want to be bombarded by fans asking about Neil, apologizing for his loss, bringing him flower bouquets, etc. At the signing I went to (right before Halloween) I remember thinking he didn't seem particularly happy to be there .. I've wondered in hindsight if it had to do with Neil's condition.

I've wondered that about the book signings and about Grapes Under Pressure as well. (It's an all day train ride/winery day in Ontario with Alex and Geddy where the proceeds go to charity.) Who wants to feel like the last man standing while dealing with your own grief?

In hindsight, those signings might have been very therapeutic for him and maybe gave Geddy a chance to let Neil know in real time how much his work and the music they made together still meant to people. The book itself may have been therapeutic to help take his mind off of the inevitable.

I had always hoped if the story of Rush was to be written, it would have been Neil that would do it. During one of the Q and A's for the book signing, I forget which one, Geddy said that me might want to write the story of Rush one day which at the time kind of struck me as odd. It doesn't really strike me as odd anymore.

• Like 2

I'll go ahead and say I basically still can't believe it :( And Terry Jones died today.... our heroes are all growing old....

Terry is really bothering me too. Life of Brian may be in my future this weekend. Pulled out Holy Grail out again a few weeks ago ironically enough.

I can at least listen to Rush now, but I'm pretty much on a diet of Neil interviews. That's kind of where my head is now. The music is in the DNA so hearing that isn't urgent. When you wake up with Face Up in your head after not listening to the studio album for months and months and not even being fond of the song. I'm not feeling any urgency.

• Like 2

Found this on Youtube, apologies if it was posted earlier. Been a fan for 37 years and Neil still blows me away. Neil's isolated drums on TSOR live:

AWESOME.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Wow. Revealing performance. Incredible. 1980 guitar hero version —also on the 2112 reissue.

In the Boys in Brazil and Beyond the Lighted stage docs, Ged spoke about how difficult it would be for Neil (or anyone else for that matter) to speak about personal tragedy with those they know and love..let alone perfect strangers. Fast forward to today, and Ged and Al are facing the same difficulty going forward. It's just plain awful.
  • Like 2

That's a precious find. There are parts that almost sound like mistakes, but the drums are clearly in sync with the other instruments, so I think it's all very intentional. Hearing the drums in isolation helps me understand why TSOR has a unique rhythmic feel, with various subtle and not-so-subtle changes in momentum.

• Like 2

Pretty sure that is the permanent waves version, and it is a reminder that when you think you can play something.. When you realise what is going on.. You realise that you can't!!

Sounds like Exit Stage Left. You can hear the crowd cheer at the start in response to Geddy saying "This is The Spirit Of Radio".

Utterly astonishing to listen to though. Such musicality in his playing, coupled with the intricacy, accuracy and power. The guy was an absolute one off.

• Like 3

I’m still all over the place. I’ve been on a diet of mostly Rush. Still feels unreal.

We’ve been planning a trip to Ontario and New England for a few weeks and now I’m absolutely determined to weave in a visit to Lakeside Park. I had previously declared no interest in seeing Niagara again when there are so many other wonders to see, but I have obviously changed my mind. My husband is onto me, but seems to be happy to humour his mad wife.

Still glad you lot are here to make me feel less deranged.

• Like 3

I still can't comprehend the backbeat to this song. There's no way anything that complex and interlaced with other fills and bits should be so rollicking and smooth, yet there it is!

Also, you can clearly hear him laying back on the outro and that is my new argument against people who claim Neil didn't play with "feel."

• Like 2

I still can't comprehend the backbeat to this song. There's no way anything that complex and interlaced with other fills and bits should be so rollicking and smooth, yet there it is!

Also, you can clearly hear him laying back on the outro and that is my new argument against people who claim Neil didn't play with "feel."

I can see why people would say that, but my view is that Neil played with the kind of precision that orchestral percussionists play with, and that precision gave Rush a distinctively modern, sophisticated, and crisply energetic sound.

• Like 3

It's fascinating to me as a drummer. You hear so much more going on with just the drum track alone. So many wonderful ghost notes on the snare drum.

The greatest drummer of all time is gone but his Legacy will live on forever.................

• Like 6

I’m still all over the place. I’ve been on a diet of mostly Rush. Still feels unreal.

We’ve been planning a trip to Ontario and New England for a few weeks and now I’m absolutely determined to weave in a visit to Lakeside Park. I had previously declared no interest in seeing Niagara again when there are so many other wonders to see, but I have obviously changed my mind. My husband is onto me, but seems to be happy to humour his mad wife.

I'm still listening to a lot of Rush as well during workouts.

Yesterday I kept hitting repeat on "The Weapon". It's a favorite of mine anyway, in no small part because of the instrumental bridge. But now I am really listening to it. Not to give Geddy short shrift here or anything, but that section is so completely The Alex And Neil Show. You can listen to just the drums, or just the guitar, and be blown away by either one on its own merits....or be rendered speechless by the way the Neil and Alex complement each other.

Damn, I will miss those moments. Not fair. And Keith Richards endures....

• Like 1

I'm still listening to a lot of Rush as well during workouts.

Yesterday I kept hitting repeat on "The Weapon". It's a favorite of mine anyway, in no small part because of the instrumental bridge. But now I am really listening to it. Not to give Geddy short shrift here or anything, but that section is so completely The Alex And Neil Show. You can listen to just the drums, or just the guitar, and be blown away by either one on its own merits....or be rendered speechless by the way the Neil and Alex complement each other.

Damn, I will miss those moments. Not fair. And Keith Richards endures....

He does endure . . . but as been made so painfully apparent, no one endures forever. I've been thinking a lot of the bands I love from the 70s, who are all getting up there in age, and I know in the years to come there will be terrible news about all of them. All we can do to truly honor them is to keep listening. Recorded music is a pretty wild thing - a performance that keeps part of them alive, while making me feel a little more alive. What a thing to leave behind.

• Like 4