Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Early this AM I took solace in watching The Boys In Brazil documentary. It's a great reminder of how classy and genuine the members of RUSH tended to be toward their fans.
  • Like 6

Early this AM I took solace in watching The Boys In Brazil documentary. It's a great reminder of how classy and genuine the members of RUSH tended to be toward their fans.

In anything I’ve read or seen, they always seemed to be genuinely nice guys. 40 plus years of the music biz and they managed to stay sane and polite. I can’t go longer than 10-15 minutes of being nice in the regular world! :P

• Like 4

In anything I’ve read or seen, they always seemed to be genuinely nice guys. 40 plus years of the music biz and they managed to stay sane and polite. I can’t go longer than 10-15 minutes of being nice in the regular world! :P

Geddy, Alex and Neil are the best! Trust me. My meeting with Neil was awkward by his bus back in the parking lot in Concord CA inn 2003 but it didn't matter to me.

All I wanted to tell Neil was to thank him for his inspiration about being a well at the time a young drummer. I didn't want anything from him. Duhhhhh

When I met Geddy and Alex or any other musician, athlete or star in a film and guys and dolls, I've met so many. Not bragging. Just telling you. I never had a problem socially with anyone. All of my friends and a few Enemies Within know me. LOL!

I'm very social, confident and have no filter. LOL!!

Meeting Neil was a curveball in life. I'm serious you guys and I'm sorry for being a broken record for the people who know me on here.

My ex wife, my ex brother in law literally parked next to Neil's bus. I was very fortunate with my ex brother law who knew the guy who ran the Concord Pavilion.

Thankfully Johnny my ex brother and law are still brothers.

But Neil's BMW motorcycles are still out on the pavement. The three of us just waled by them. I was like a school girl in a white dress at a Beatles concert. LOL!

We walked into the office to collect our VIP passes and comp floor tickets.

As the three of us walked by Neil's bus, I was totally flabbergasted and excited. Yet in control. I have assumed control. LOL!

We were walking away from Neil's bus, and all of the sudden I heard this low bellowing "HELLO" "HELLO!"

I turned around as Wendy and Johnny kept walking to the backdoor of the venue.

It was Neil!!!

He was standing on the black asphalt about two feet away from his bus door.

I thought he was called out to me. But he was trying to ask for something from a Concord Pavilion service guy.

Trust me. He wasn't trying to call security on me. But I am sure as a comedy relief factor, many of you would think that. LOL!

I was blown away.

No disrespect to Neil at all as I continue this story that I have written many times on here and I am still very accurate but I love sharing it.

I looked at Neil. 2112 feet away. LOL

His hair hair was black. Over his shoulder lengthier and quite greasy.

His face was red and bloated.

He looked like Johnny Cash.

Decked out in a long sleeved black shirt.

Black pants.

Black boots.

I walked up to Neil slowly. Like a slithering serpent in the sunset sky.

Again, all I wanted to blurt out slowly was a simple "Thank You" for his inspiration as being a drummer and emulating him.

I know a stranger isn't a long awaited friend. But I had my one moment in time with Neil.

I didn't want to blow it.

But was what it was. LOL! T shirt worthy? It is what it is? It Was What It Was.

Anyway......

There I was.

Now 100 feet from Neil.

We locked eyes lock two rams locking horns.

We gazed into each other's eyes like two deer in headlights on a dark snowy night.

It was like a Tarantino flick.

Or even something from Robert Rodriguez.

I was in a Mexican standoff with Neil Peart.

I couldn't get the words out.

He slowly recoiled back onto his bus like a fire dragon retreating into a lonesome lair.

It was still overwhelming for me despite the outcome.

A failure some of my friends still say to this day.

To me it was "One Little Victory."

Oh boy. It was the "Vapor Trails" Tour. Some of you must cringe if you read this. LOL!

Despite the outcome. It is still a wonderful story to tell.

I love Neil Ellwood Peart.

I will love Neil forever.

Don't judge me please.

"It is what it is....... and whatever."

Earl

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 11

I'm still working my way chronologically through the DVDs. I plan on watching the SnA tour tonight. I find the closer I get to the end of my marathon viewing the more dread I feel. Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

I'd like to offer a recommendation to give a listen to the album "The Dawn of Time" by Virgil Donati. It doesn't really sound anything like Rush, but it's one of the few examples I know of where the drumming is composed, intricate, and at center stage. I think Neil would approve. I'm listening to the album now, and it made me think of Neil.
  • Like 2

I'm still working my way chronologically through the DVDs. I plan on watching the SnA tour tonight. I find the closer I get to the end of my marathon viewing the more dread I feel.

Do it all again then ;)

Right! :-)

Ha ha good story Earl. I have a bus story where I met my other drum hero Buddy Rich. Although Buddy turned out to be the good guy.

Hahaha! Thanks "Buddy!" Pun intended! You lucky guy! Buddy Rules!!!

Earl I bet you've been listening to Metal Church recently.

• Like 1

I saw on Twitter that the Rock and Roll HOF put up a tribute at the museum today. It's small, but it's something; don't know if they have the huge blown up mural-sized pic of the guys up, though. I believe it was the hat and a few pieces from the Clockwork Angels tour. My boyfriend and I wanted to take an overnighter to visit, especially since they have The Wall back up now (it wasn't there when we went in spring of 2017). We can't afford it for Valentine's Day like we were planning, so I hope it's there for the long haul.

Ha ha good story Earl. I have a bus story where I met my other drum hero Buddy Rich. Although Buddy turned out to be the good guy.

I love Metal Church mate!

Cranking "Dawn Patrol" by Night Ranger! Night Ranger is a week away! Playing "Dawn" and "Midnight" all the way through. Encore "Seven Wishes" stuff! I'm jazzed!!

I told you my little story about taking my ex wife down to LA for the Rush Induction right?

Wendy and I were walking out of our hotel and there was Jack Blades.

I know Brad Gillis so you know me Pat I have no fear meeting celebrities. Well ironically, with Neil yes.

But I was wearing my RASH Tee to the induction. We ran up to Jack to say hello. Jack loved my shirt. I told him my passion for the band and how Neil was always my drumming mentor since the seventh grade.

Jack told me... "Well Earl it's so nice to meet the biggest RUSH fan on the planet! I am going in right now to watch Rush do soundcheck. When I meet up with Geddy, Alex and Neil I will tell them that their biggest fan is here."

It was very sweet Pat regardless if it was never said. Didn't matter. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat on mushrooms.

Flattered.

All the guys in Night Ranger are nice!

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

• Like 3

Cranking "Dawn Patrol" by Night Ranger! Night Ranger is a week away! Playing "Dawn" and "Midnight" all the way through. Encore "Seven Wishes" stuff! I'm jazzed!!

I told you my little story about taking my ex wife down to LA for the Rush Induction right?

I know Brad Gillis so you know me Pat I have no fear meeting celebrities. Well ironically, with Neil yes.

But I was wearing my RASH Tee to the induction. We ran up to Jack to say hello. Jack loved my shirt. I told him my passion for the band and how Neil was always my drumming mentor since the seventh grade.

Jack told me... "Well Earl it's so nice to meet the biggest RUSH fan on the planet! I am going in right now to watch Rush do soundcheck. When I meet up with Geddy, Alex and Neil I will tell them that their biggest fan is here."

It was very sweet Pat regardless if it was never said. Didn't matter. I was smiling like the Cheshire Cat on mushrooms.

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

I wonder if Jack Blades was starstruck when he first teamed up with TED NUGENT in Damn Yankees??

• Like 1

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

I wonder if Jack Blades was starstruck when he first teamed up with TED NUGENT in Damn Yankees??

Dude!

You are talking to a guy who saw STYX or as you would say STNX and Night Ranger at Thunder Valley last summer. It was Epic. They played a Damn Yankee song together. Tommy Shaw joined Night Ranger to perform it. It was incredible.

It was half a reunion buddy!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

You are talking to a guy who saw STYX or as you would say STNX and Night Ranger at Thunder Valley last summer. It was Epic. They played a Damn Yankee song together. Tommy Shaw joined Night Ranger to perform it. It was incredible.

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

And don't forget Jeff Porcaro, Cozy Powell, Randy Castillo, Eric Carr, John Bonham and your father Earl Palmer!

• Like 2

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

And don't forget Jeff Porcaro, Cozy Powell, Randy Castillo, Eric Carr, John Bonham and your father Earl Palmer!

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

Another quick drumming story for you and the few who read my stuff!!

I tool Wendy many many many years ago to see Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco. It was in the Castro District. The Gay Community Of The World.

I didn't care dude!

It was at some underground bistro bar with a small stage! It was an incredible night.

Wendy and I got to the little venue early.

We snuck into sound check.

I remember it like it was yesterday. So funny how so many on here think I'm a drug addict and insane. I've never blacked out in my life and I remember every concert that I have been to since my first. The Who and The Clash in 1982!

Pat!

Wendy and I sat on these red carpet steps near the door and watched the Carl Palmer Band just shred in soundcheck.

It was amazing. After it ending security asked us to leave. I guess they thought we were part of the group. LOL!

Come on dude. I'm an ok looking dude but I had the hot blonde. I always called Wendy my "Pick Magnet." Everywhere we went in the pit. From Alex Lifeson to John Petrucci. Picks given to my ex wife.

But Pat, I love typing my stories. Carl Palmer Band was incredible. They played so much ELP, ASIA and I think even some YES. Carl's guitar player was some young gun. Played a guitar solo with an electric tooth brush. Incredible shit.

After the show I met Carl. Sweet man. Signed everything. We talked about his time in ELP and ASIA. I remember that night they even played "Love Beach." Carl even made fun it it. But they played it.

Many moons later I took my parents to see the original ASIA line up in SF. It was their last show in the USA before Japan.

Another Epic show. They played the entire first ASIA record all the way through.

I could write a book that no one would read! LOL!

We are drummers. We are the Drummer Collective. We drummers are a rare breed and we stick together like glue.

Neil Peart will always be my number one guy. My musical mentor.

I am sharing stories on Neil's thread about my passion for other drummers who I was so lucky to meet.

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

I was just cranking a Rainbow Live In Germany double cd Pat. COZY!!!

Crazy timing.

I'm glad people think I'm nuts!

I see the connections. I see and feel the love.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

• Like 4

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I tool Wendy many many many years ago to see Carl Palmer Band in San Francisco. It was in the Castro District. The Gay Community Of The World.

I didn't care dude!

It was at some underground bistro bar with a small stage! It was an incredible night.

I remember it like it was yesterday. So funny how so many on here think I'm a drug addict and insane. I've never blacked out in my life and I remember every concert that I have been to since my first. The Who and The Clash in 1982!

Pat!

Wendy and I sat on these red carpet steps near the door and watched the Carl Palmer Band just shred in soundcheck.

It was amazing. After it ending security asked us to leave. I guess they thought we were part of the group. LOL!

Come on dude. I'm an ok looking dude but I had the hot blonde. I always called Wendy my "Pick Magnet." Everywhere we went in the pit. From Alex Lifeson to John Petrucci. Picks given to my ex wife.

But Pat, I love typing my stories. Carl Palmer Band was incredible. They played so much ELP, ASIA and I think even some YES. Carl's guitar player was some young gun. Played a guitar solo with an electric tooth brush. Incredible shit.

After the show I met Carl. Sweet man. Signed everything. We talked about his time in ELP and ASIA. I remember that night they even played "Love Beach." Carl even made fun it it. But they played it.

Many moons later I took my parents to see the original ASIA line up in SF. It was their last show in the USA before Japan.

Another Epic show. They played the entire first ASIA record all the way through.

We are drummers. We are the Drummer Collective. We drummers are a rare breed and we stick together like glue.

I am sharing stories on Neil's thread about my passion for other drummers who I was so lucky to meet.

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl I don't think you're a drug addict or insane but I have to admit I do usually visualise you dressed up in your black metal outfit with make-up and cheesy wig running amok in Northern California, lighting fires and screaming like a banshee. It's like the Earl black metal Witch Hunt, but I think you're looking for Brian Johnson fans!

• Like 1

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I didn't care dude!

Pat!

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl, if you wrote a book about your life and rock and roll, I think you'd be surprised how many people would love to read it!

• Like 4

Found this on Youtube, apologies if it was posted earlier. Been a fan for 37 years and Neil still blows me away. Neil's isolated drums on TSOR live:

AWESOME.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 3

Flattered.

Love you Pat!

NEIL PEART RULES!

Dude!

Buddy Rich

Keith Moon

Neil Peart

Hahaha!! Heck yes Pat!

I didn't care dude!

Pat!

I've met Neil

You know that story.

I love it.

Crazy timing.

NEIL PEART!!!!!!

Earl, if you wrote a book about your life and rock and roll, I think you'd be surprised how many people would love to read it!

I hear you. But to get Earl at full power I feel he’d need a YouTube channel. And yeah, there’d be plenty of viewers to appreciate his drumming, ranting, and other musings and humpings

• Like 3

Two weeks now. I was thinking today that although I still feel grief at the thought of Neil's passing, also renewed is my deep gratitude that he lived and gave us his music in the first place. Neil is gone, and the living entity called Rush gone with him, but the music will always be there to comfort, soothe and uplift, just as it for so long has been.

Thank you, Professor.

• Like 7