Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Still can't believe it, but it's gotten easier by re-listening to Rush every day since. Hopefully the Sirius channel sticks around .. I love having the random mix of songs I wouldn't have necessarily picked. I also love listening to the drums on By-Tor .. he just sounds like he was hitting the ground running, totally on fire with his playing on that track.

One tangent thought I've had lately is that I bet this also marks the end of Geddy's book signings. Doesn't seem like like he would want to be bombarded by fans asking about Neil, apologizing for his loss, bringing him flower bouquets, etc. At the signing I went to (right before Halloween) I remember thinking he didn't seem particularly happy to be there .. I've wondered in hindsight if it had to do with Neil's condition.

If Geddy doesn't want to talk about Neil, then they should let fans know before any book signings that he will not be addressing the matter.

• Like 3

Still can't believe it, but it's gotten easier by re-listening to Rush every day since. Hopefully the Sirius channel sticks around .. I love having the random mix of songs I wouldn't have necessarily picked. I also love listening to the drums on By-Tor .. he just sounds like he was hitting the ground running, totally on fire with his playing on that track.

One tangent thought I've had lately is that I bet this also marks the end of Geddy's book signings. Doesn't seem like like he would want to be bombarded by fans asking about Neil, apologizing for his loss, bringing him flower bouquets, etc. At the signing I went to (right before Halloween) I remember thinking he didn't seem particularly happy to be there .. I've wondered in hindsight if it had to do with Neil's condition.

I've wondered that about the book signings and about Grapes Under Pressure as well. (It's an all day train ride/winery day in Ontario with Alex and Geddy where the proceeds go to charity.) Who wants to feel like the last man standing while dealing with your own grief?

I was thinking GUP V with proceeds going to some sort of brain cancer would be perfect but I don't think Grapes for Humanity does anything where their proceeds go to any kind of cancer charities.

• Like 1

Shoot. I just watched Neil's solo in Frankfurt from R30...I don't think I've ever heard better from him. A lot that comes microscopically close, but that solo is on another plane of existence.
  • Like 4

Shoot. I just watched Neil's solo in Frankfurt from R30...I don't think I've ever heard better from him. A lot that comes microscopically close, but that solo is on another plane of existence.

I will have to get into that; I had my R30 DVD out over the weekend, but I didn’t put it on.

I did watch the R40 solo, and while most of it was just your regular old otherworldly, jawdropping Neil Peart- there is one segment of it toward the end, say in the last minute or so before the end of it, that has that x-factor, and I just about lost it- in the most thrilling way.

• Like 2

Another example of Neil's influence ...

I rode a dirt bike as a kid, and have wanted a street bike for decades. Several factors have steered me towards BMWs, including the fact that Neil rode BMWs. I've been listening to Ghost Rider for the past few days, and that's the last nudge I needed to likely go ahead and buy a BMW motorcycle.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 2

Been feeling ok now as I slowly been listening to Rush again last week, but I still miss him. And what a bloody good drummer Neil was!! He did his best in all songs. I hope all of you are doing good or well.. Neil would want us to remember him by reading his books, or re-seeing Rush concert films, or listening to their albums again. That is what I am doing to honor our Neil. I hope you guys can do the same as well. I love you all as well.
  • Like 6

I know I wrote a very brief sentence when I first heard of Neil Peart passing away, but as the days pass I'd like to share something with all of you and just 'get it out there' seeing how his lyrics played a huge part of my learning and my life.

I have to go back to 1981-83 in high school art class. There was another gal in that class with me who I'll call TM. She was the only female Rush fan I knew. Remember, back then there weren't many...LOL Well, we would write down in our special Rush notebooks the lyrics to the songs and we would discuss them. What they meant. What they were about. What they meant to us. We would look up new words and look up things that we didn't know about. I loved to do that. I always did that. I excelled in English LIt., and I do owe that to Neil. He inspired me with his words. He inspired me to write. So, thank you Mr. Peart for all of the hours of pleasure your words brought to me.

On another note....when I was 15 I climbed out my bedroom window to go to a Rush concert. I will never regret the consequences when I got caught creeping back in...LOL I would do it again!

And, if TM is reading this (which would be so awesome) you need to pm me...LOL I'd freak out to hear from you after all these years. (Me and TM were huge Geddy Gals...LOL...as some of you who know me already know this) but, Neil Peart was and always will be my poet.....

:heart: :rose:

• Like 7

Whenever I’m the closer at work, I play Rush to end the night. Even after I’ve had a week to process, I still tear up when The Garden comes on. :(
  • Like 5

I know I wrote a very brief sentence when I first heard of Neil Peart passing away, but as the days pass I'd like to share something with all of you and just 'get it out there' seeing how his lyrics played a huge part of my learning and my life.

I have to go back to 1981-83 in high school art class. There was another gal in that class with me who I'll call TM. She was the only female Rush fan I knew. Remember, back then there weren't many...LOL Well, we would write down in our special Rush notebooks the lyrics to the songs and we would discuss them. What they meant. What they were about. What they meant to us. We would look up new words and look up things that we didn't know about. I loved to do that. I always did that. I excelled in English LIt., and I do owe that to Neil. He inspired me with his words. He inspired me to write. So, thank you Mr. Peart for all of the hours of pleasure your words brought to me.

On another note....when I was 15 I climbed out my bedroom window to go to a Rush concert. I will never regret the consequences when I got caught creeping back in...LOL I would do it again!

And, if TM is reading this (which would be so awesome) you need to pm me...LOL I'd freak out to hear from you after all these years. (Me and TM were huge Geddy Gals...LOL...as some of you who know me already know this) but, Neil Peart was and always will be my poet.....

:rose:

Tremendous post, Daylin...that is really remarkable.

I didn’t climb out my window to go to my first Rush show, but I was close to the same age- 16, and I just went alone!

• Like 1

Whenever I’m the closer at work, I play Rush to end the night. Even after I’ve had a week to process, I still tear up when The Garden comes on. :(

Where do you work?

@ Entre, I will have to look into that show. I love the little differences in his playing. (Again, this forum is very "Font-Stationary" odd, I get lines through my text now, and the "Enter Key" does not break up texts... I use other forums and don't get the type-setting difficulties this forum has... Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
fixed text formatting problem

I think I'll go listen to The Garden right now as a form of therapeutic purging.

Here I go. Wish me luck..........................................................................

• Like 3

Where do you work?

I sell cell phones! I love my job!

Edited by Disk98
  • Like 2

Where do you work?

I sell cell phones! I love my job!

Write me a p.m. and let me know what is the best simple cell phone. I don't want to derail Neil's thread.

• Like 1

Tremendous post, Daylin...that is really remarkable.

I didn’t climb out my window to go to my first Rush show, but I was close to the same age- 16, and I just went alone!

Thank you for saying that.

Well, I was almost 15...lol and I was going with people a few years older then me, so I just couldn't tell my Daddy (may he rest in peace) funny thing is I told my mom (may she rest in peace...she was the same age as Neil was when she passed from cancer too) that I was climbing out my window to go to a Rush concert just in case she was looking for me or if there was an emergency...LOL She just shook her head and said you better hope your father doesn't find out about this. Well, he did and I came strolling in with a brand new Rush shirt on...LOL Oh, was I stunned to see him sitting there in the dark :blush:

• Like 3

Neil was the hard, cold infusion of excellence and intelligence into the dying Rush concept. He shined so brilliantly, like a supernova, swiftly disappearing among the stars. He set the bar so very high, influencing greatness in others. Neil was the backbone and brain of Rush, a la Hemispheres.
  • Like 1

Finally made it through the rest of the R40 Blu-Ray today without getting emotional. It took a few days before I could even start watching and a few days to get through it. That show brings back a lot of memories. On to Clockwork Angels now I think!
  • Like 5

Just finished watching the 2112 / Moving Pictures Classic Albums DVD.

I'm actually finding it even harder to accept Neil is no longer with us when you witness how full of life he is there, both musically and conversationally.

• Like 6

Neil was the hard, cold infusion of excellence and intelligence into the dying Rush concept. He shined so brilliantly, like a supernova, swiftly disappearing among the stars. He set the bar so very high, influencing greatness in others. Neil was the backbone and brain of Rush, a la Hemispheres.

I just finished listening to Hemispheres. I tried playing along with the drum parts, but eventually had to just humbly put the sticks down and listen in awe. Amazing composition and playing from all three of them - and 42 years ago! In my book, Neil was the best, plain and simple. Other drummers had and have chops and groove, but no one else has ever had the intelligent musicality on the drums that Neil did.

• Like 3