Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I get this too. I AM sad, of course, but it's not like I can't listen to the band...and when I do, I don't feel sad. You're so right that he feels alive because that was the spirit of his playing and their songs. For that I'm grateful.

It's what Neil would want, for us to take consolation in the music and not him. We didn't know him and he felt uncomfortable about all of that adulation and he would no doubt feel equally uncomfortable with people who didn't know him mourning him as well. But take solace in the music because that was the fruit of his labor for all of us.

I have a somewhat different view.

Being a prolific artist who diligently strove for excellence, I believe that Neil was glad to see his work appreciated, and did want to have a connection with the millions of people who appreciated his work. What he didn't want was endless gushing one-on-one adulation from people he didn't know personally because (a) pretending that a stranger is a long-awaited friend is just pretending, and he didn't want to be a pretender, (b) that would have prevented him having the normal kinds of human interactions that he had when traveled the backroads of the world with a degree of anonymity, and [c] he wanted us to each strive for excellence and actualize our potentials in ways that made sense in our own lives, rather than being tempted to simply try to emulate him.

I believe that Neil anticipated our mourning, and would have been understanding of it, but he wanted our mourning to eventually dissipate and be replaced by more positive thoughts and feelings. I know, easier said than done, but hopefully that's the road we're on.

Considering how things would likely have played out if everyone found out 3.5 years ago that Neil had a brain cancer that probably only left him with a few years of life remaining, I think it was very wise for him to not let the world know. He was wise until the very end, truly a person to admire and learn from ...

On a side note, Audible is making all of Neil's books available for free until January 28. Very classy of them to do that. I've downloaded all of them and plan to go through all of them. https://www.audible....eart/B000APH4T0

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 9

"Xanadu" is playing on my stereo right now. Doing the cowbell part with my fingers on my desk.

I'm embracing Rush music. It's so soothing to the soul. Progressive Rock Audio Therapy.

It works!

I’ve had almost nothing but Rush in my headphones during workouts since Friday. Normally they’re not my first choice as workout music; I tend to prefer harder stuff when I am lifting. And for cardio (I run), prog isn’t exactly the ideal choice for maintaining a rhythm! I had an excellent shoulder session earlier today with Grace Under Pressure and then a decent run through most of Signals. I will say that Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are both good songs for running. Hemispheres turned out to be great accompaniment for a leg workout, oddly enough.

Yeah, I can't lift to Rush, either. But, it's ok for hiking.

I thought you were into cycling?

"Xanadu" is playing on my stereo right now. Doing the cowbell part with my fingers on my desk.

I'm embracing Rush music. It's so soothing to the soul. Progressive Rock Audio Therapy.

It works!

I’ve had almost nothing but Rush in my headphones during workouts since Friday. Normally they’re not my first choice as workout music; I tend to prefer harder stuff when I am lifting. And for cardio (I run), prog isn’t exactly the ideal choice for maintaining a rhythm! I had an excellent shoulder session earlier today with Grace Under Pressure and then a decent run through most of Signals. I will say that Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are both good songs for running. Hemispheres turned out to be great accompaniment for a leg workout, oddly enough.

That's my (now-ex) husband who was the cyclist. Last time I saw him he was approaching the 300 lb. mark, so I doubt he's still doing that.

I lift religiously and run....running mainly as it's my preferred form of cardio. (I'm not supposed to run because of an artificial hip, but we're approaching the 20 year anniversary of that hip and so far, so good).

On a side note, Audible is making all of Neil's books available for free until January 28. Very classy of them to do that. I've downloaded all of them and plan to go through all of them. https://www.audible....eart/B000APH4T0

Thanks for the tip!

yessir. I will download these. Thanks!

It works!

That's my (now-ex) husband who was the cyclist. Last time I saw him he was approaching the 300 lb. mark, so I doubt he's still doing that.

I lift religiously and run....running mainly as it's my preferred form of cardio. (I'm not supposed to run because of an artificial hip, but we're approaching the 20 year anniversary of that hip and so far, so good).

Been lifting since October. I like it, because I feel better after I go, but there is a lot I can't do and a lot to learn, like how to bring more intensity. Also, I get very fatigued if I go more than 3 days in a row.

Really nice to hear from you. I haven't been on here for a long time and I am reminded of how funny your posts are. Glad you're doing well.

I suppose one thing that may have helped me in accepting that Neil is gone was the fact that the band had been done for a few years before he passed. So, even though Neil wasn't really gone yet, he kind of was for me if that makes sense. As someone who has lost a couple of family members to cancer, it is quite sad to think about how things ended for him. How hard it will be for his wife and especially his young daughter to pull through this. How horrible Geddy and Alex must feel to lose a best friend that they did so much with over the last 40 plus years. But their music will never make me sad. As you said, it's full of so much life.

I agree that the fact the band (or at least Neil's participation) had ended makes it a little easier for me to process his passing than it would be if they were still active. I alluded to it in an earlier post, but even if it turned out to be a short lived retirement, I feel happy that he DID get that feeling of concluding his Rush career and going out on his terms. He recognized that it was time to stop and he did after playing a series of farewell shows. That had to have made him feel good.

As far as Ged, Alex and his family pulling through this, I'm not quite as worried about them as you. It's a horrific loss and no doubt they'll miss him every day, but they've also had years to prepare for this (versus us who are getting slammed all at once). In some ways, they're probably even relieved that any suffering he was enduring is over. That's the one good thing about a protracted terminal illness over a sudden, unexpected death. It gives everyone a chance to say their goodbyes and make preparations, both emotionally and otherwise. I'm sure his daughter knows how much he loved her and will forever cherish the years she had with him once she processes her grief.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 3

It works!

Been lifting since October. I like it, because I feel better after I go, but there is a lot I can't do and a lot to learn, like how to bring more intensity. Also, I get very fatigued if I go more than 3 days in a row.

Really nice to hear from you. I haven't been on here for a long time and I am reminded of how funny your posts are. Glad you're doing well.

:cheers:

I suppose one thing that may have helped me in accepting that Neil is gone was the fact that the band had been done for a few years before he passed. So, even though Neil wasn't really gone yet, he kind of was for me if that makes sense. As someone who has lost a couple of family members to cancer, it is quite sad to think about how things ended for him. How hard it will be for his wife and especially his young daughter to pull through this. How horrible Geddy and Alex must feel to lose a best friend that they did so much with over the last 40 plus years. But their music will never make me sad. As you said, it's full of so much life.

I agree that the fact the band (or at least Neil's participation) had ended makes it a little easier for me to process his passing than it would be if they were still active. I alluded to it in an earlier post, but even if it turned out to be a short lived retirement, I feel happy that he DID get that feeling of concluding his Rush career and going out on his terms. He recognized that it was time to stop and he did after playing a series of farewell shows. That had to have made him feel good.

As far as Ged, Alex and his family pulling through this, I'm not quite as worried about them as you. It's a horrific loss and no doubt they'll miss him every day, but they've also had years to prepare for this (versus us who are getting slammed all at once). In some ways, they're probably even relieved that any suffering he was enduring is over. That's the one good thing about a protracted terminal illness over a sudden, unexpected death. It gives everyone a chance to say their goodbyes and make preparations, both emotionally and otherwise. I'm sure his daughter knows how much he loved her and will forever cherish the years she had with him once she processes her grief.

I try to remember, with all the crazy what ifs, hindsight etc, that Neil Peart decided when to bow out. Thinking over this (rationalizing this), combined with how it is for his daughter, wife family and friends now, is so hard to get used to. At least there was that precious time for them all to prepare.Trying to look on the bright side.

• Like 2

Sully of Godsmack claims Neil was even sick before last Rush tour ended. Is this the first time somebody has said this on record? I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, but it is something people have speculated. If it's the truth, then Neil fought for an unbelievably long time with this awful condition. Don't know how I feel about this statement.

But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed.

• Like 1

Sully of Godsmack claims Neil was even sick before last Rush tour ended. Is this the first time somebody has said this on record? I'm going to take it with a grain of salt, but it is something people have speculated. If it's the truth, then Neil fought for an unbelievably long time with this awful condition. Don't know how I feel about this statement.

But I knew, when they were ending the RUSH tour, that he was sick," Sully claimed.

I think that's quite possible. The earlier symptoms for this type of tumor, prior to diagnosis, could be be mistaken for effects of getting older, other ailments, etc. Neil may have been feeling unwell for a while and not known why.

I think that's quite possible. The earlier symptoms for this type of tumor, prior to diagnosis, could be be mistaken for effects of getting older, other ailments, etc. Neil may have been feeling unwell for a while and not known why.

I wouldn't be surprised if Neil knew something wasn't right.

I'd be very surprised if Sully from Godsmack knew something wasn't right though.

• Like 6

The symptoms of something being wrong could have very well shown up during the last tour. But I'm not sure we can trust Sully's timeline or not. He's the frontman for a popular band who has traveled the world many times over during the last twenty years. It's possible all that touring has caused his memory to be a bit foggy on the details. It seems like mid 2016 is when Neil got the official diagnosis from the info that has come out.

• Like 1

Sully's comments are in poor taste, even if accurate. From what has been publicly released, I don't think he was sick on the tour; the chances of him being able to perform that way are essentially nil as their music is so hard to play and he hits so hard. It's not something that could be faked.

It sounds like our Neil had incredibly bad luck and timing. Heartbreaking.

Edited by upstateNYfan
  • Like 4

Thanks for the tip!

Wow, yes very classy. This info should be a thread of its own. Thanks.

• Like 2

I hate those idiots on Youtube who are trying to make money off Neil's death. They post clips called Neil Peart's funeral, but it's obviously not Neil's funeral. It's just click bait. You can tell from the stupid song in the background that it's a joke. That's so disrespectful to Neil. We need to start flagging those videos and maybe Youtube will take them down.
  • Like 5

I hate those idiots on Youtube who are trying to make money off Neil's death. They post clips called Neil Peart's funeral, but it's obviously not Neil's funeral. It's just click bait. You can tell from the stupid song in the background that it's a joke. That's so disrespectful to Neil. We need to start flagging those videos and maybe Youtube will take them down.

I have been reporting them but nothing is happening.

• Like 1

Well, I had to make the pilgrimage.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how much music is such a big part of my life this last week. One of my few personal heroes passed suddenly this week. I’m feeling it. It’s not the mortality of it all, I came to understandings of that a long time ago. It’s something bigger than death, bigger than the passing of an era. Neil, he was the poet laureate for hard rock. Greatest drummer of all time, you bet, but also a master lyricist and writer.

My first 2 record purchases as a kid were Rush Permanent Waves and Van Halen Fair Warning. Throughout our high school and collegiate careers, our tribes pretty much feasted on a fairly constant diet of Zep, VH, Rush, and AC/DC, with generous helpings of 70’s Aero, the Doors, the Kinks, and Stevie Ray. But 9 times outta 10, at any particular gathering, it was either VH, Rush, or Zeppelin playing at any given time. My first Rush gig was later in their career, the Presto tour in ‘90, at Arco Arena in Sac. I still remember the giant inflatable bunnies. Since then, I’ve pretty much caught every tour. Irvine Meadows on the Roll the Bones tour, wrecked to high heaven. The Hollywood Bowl on the Snakes and Arrows tour, wordless at the magnificence at hand. Front and center at Gibson Amp for the Time Machine tour. San Diego for the Clockwork Angels tour. And finally The Last Rush Show at the Forum on the R40 tour, where along with everyone else in attendance I wept when Neil came out for his first - and last - bow ever.

Watching Bubba play wasn’t just watching a percussionist at the highest level. It was like watching a ballet. Such precision and tone, dedication to craftsmanship, ever the perfectionist but allowing, even humorously, for imperfections. The loss is so profound. Because it’s pure flashpoint art, and it will never be replicated, and as Neil always said, musicians are, have to be, all about live performance. And I’ve seen and experienced a LOT of legendary musical acts, and even beyond being a loyal Rush fan, I don't have to tell anyone here...a finer live power trio, there isn’t.

Anyway...I discovered the City of Angels deemed fit to place a wreath at Rush’s star on the Walk of Fame, though they, or the WeHo contingents, cleared up the candles and flowers and sticks left earlier this week. I brought a candle and a drumstick of my own, placed the stick within the wreath as you can see. And I had a long solemn moment and shed tears. It felt like I was there repping a bunch of guys n’ gals I came of age with, like I was a proxy of sorts. Like all of you, Rush was ever present throughout our lives...whether it was a few of us sitting around a campfire drinking brews in the dark hours of midnight listening to a well worn 8 track of 2112, or whether a stadium full of us were transfixed by another mind blowing drum solo.

And it was here, among the raggedy lost soul carnivals of Hollywood Boulevard, that I said my last good bye to a good man, a brilliant man, and wished him fair journeys in the worlds to come. Thanks again Neil. You gave happiness and joy to millions. No small feat. Well done, brother.

49388874851_feb6331b32_o.jpg

My daughter was sent a recent picture of this from a friend. Your stick is either gone or been moved to the star. There are 3 sticks on the star but none on the wreath.

Well, I had to make the pilgrimage.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how much music is such a big part of my life this last week. One of my few personal heroes passed suddenly this week. I’m feeling it. It’s not the mortality of it all, I came to understandings of that a long time ago. It’s something bigger than death, bigger than the passing of an era. Neil, he was the poet laureate for hard rock. Greatest drummer of all time, you bet, but also a master lyricist and writer.

My first 2 record purchases as a kid were Rush Permanent Waves and Van Halen Fair Warning. Throughout our high school and collegiate careers, our tribes pretty much feasted on a fairly constant diet of Zep, VH, Rush, and AC/DC, with generous helpings of 70’s Aero, the Doors, the Kinks, and Stevie Ray. But 9 times outta 10, at any particular gathering, it was either VH, Rush, or Zeppelin playing at any given time. My first Rush gig was later in their career, the Presto tour in ‘90, at Arco Arena in Sac. I still remember the giant inflatable bunnies. Since then, I’ve pretty much caught every tour. Irvine Meadows on the Roll the Bones tour, wrecked to high heaven. The Hollywood Bowl on the Snakes and Arrows tour, wordless at the magnificence at hand. Front and center at Gibson Amp for the Time Machine tour. San Diego for the Clockwork Angels tour. And finally The Last Rush Show at the Forum on the R40 tour, where along with everyone else in attendance I wept when Neil came out for his first - and last - bow ever.

Watching Bubba play wasn’t just watching a percussionist at the highest level. It was like watching a ballet. Such precision and tone, dedication to craftsmanship, ever the perfectionist but allowing, even humorously, for imperfections. The loss is so profound. Because it’s pure flashpoint art, and it will never be replicated, and as Neil always said, musicians are, have to be, all about live performance. And I’ve seen and experienced a LOT of legendary musical acts, and even beyond being a loyal Rush fan, I don't have to tell anyone here...a finer live power trio, there isn’t.

Anyway...I discovered the City of Angels deemed fit to place a wreath at Rush’s star on the Walk of Fame, though they, or the WeHo contingents, cleared up the candles and flowers and sticks left earlier this week. I brought a candle and a drumstick of my own, placed the stick within the wreath as you can see. And I had a long solemn moment and shed tears. It felt like I was there repping a bunch of guys n’ gals I came of age with, like I was a proxy of sorts. Like all of you, Rush was ever present throughout our lives...whether it was a few of us sitting around a campfire drinking brews in the dark hours of midnight listening to a well worn 8 track of 2112, or whether a stadium full of us were transfixed by another mind blowing drum solo.

And it was here, among the raggedy lost soul carnivals of Hollywood Boulevard, that I said my last good bye to a good man, a brilliant man, and wished him fair journeys in the worlds to come. Thanks again Neil. You gave happiness and joy to millions. No small feat. Well done, brother.

49388874851_feb6331b32_o.jpg

My daughter was sent a recent picture of this from a friend. Your stick is either gone or been moved to the star. There are 3 sticks on the star but none on the wreath.

Yeah, you can't expect stuff on Hollywood Blvd to stay there for very long lol. The star was inundated with flowers and sticks and candles last week, I'm pretty sure it gets cleared every night by the locals. It's all about the journey, as Neil might say. ;)

• Like 1

It was a cold March Saturday morning in Kodiak, Alaska back in 1984. I was going to spend the day with my friend Bob Fowler who was a pretty good guitarist. I had recently purchased a nice gently used Stratocaster of my own and was anxious to get some time learning from Bob who was in a local band. I had aspirations of joining them as they had no rhythm guitarist and once my budding skills had reached the level where both of us agreed I'd be at least adequate. So we get to the practice room and plug in and begin...well, not exactly "jamming", it was a bit more like noodling as my skill level wasn't exactly there for such a task yet. So Bob showed me a few new chords and we volleyed them back and forth like tennis players for a while. At about 11 or so we decided to take a break. Bob sat on the floor and I sat on the throne behind the drums. There was to be a new Rush album released in the Spring (GUP) so we chatted excitedly about it for a while. After all, we had originally bonded over our mutual love for Rush. I first fell in love with them when I traded a friend a copy of Ozzy Osbourne's Diary Of A Madman for a copy of Permanent Waves, which I listened to so much I literally wore out the tape and I also went out and bought their other albums as quickly as I could afford them. A few minutes later Bob stood up and started play the arpeggio from The Spirit of Radio. I impulsively picked up the drum sticks and just started tapping out the opening fills and rolls of the same song. It wasn't great, but it was close to adequate. Bob just stopped and said he had no idea I could play the drums and my reply was "neither did I but I have a lonbg history of drumming on things and even mentally air-drumming to songs I like". We laughed a bit and struck up TSOR once again and darned if it didn't sound fairly good! We played bits and pieces of other tunes and decided to break for lunch. It was at that time that Bob looked me right in the eyes and simply said: "sell your guitar, buy some drums". A part of me knew he was right because I never really had wholly connected with my guitar. Sure, I loved it, but not with the passionate burning intensity that marks a great guitar player. The drums, though, they were a different story! The more I sat behind them the freer I felt. My hands literally felt like two birds in flight as I pounded and tapped and flammed and paradiddled through songs. I studied Neil's method and watched him in videos as closely as I could. When he started publishing I read his books, when they went on tour, I was there, and when he released his instructional videos I was a happy man! I'm not at all a Neil Peart clone on the drums, and there are still some Rush songs that are beyond me, but I did what everyone does: steal from him what I wanted and incorporate it into my own style. One friend put it best when he saw me play. He told me I had a little Neil Peart in me but no so much that I was a copycat and that's the highest praise I've ever received music-wise. So Neil will always have a special place in my heart, my undying appreciation, and my fierce devotion.

Thank you for inspiring me all those years ago, Neil. I owe you.

• Like 8

It was a cold March Saturday morning in Kodiak, Alaska back in 1984. I was going to spend the day with my friend Bob Fowler who was a pretty good guitarist. I had recently purchased a nice gently used Stratocaster of my own and was anxious to get some time learning from Bob who was in a local band. I had aspirations of joining them as they had no rhythm guitarist and once my budding skills had reached the level where both of us agreed I'd be at least adequate. So we get to the practice room and plug in and begin...well, not exactly "jamming", it was a bit more like noodling as my skill level wasn't exactly there for such a task yet. So Bob showed me a few new chords and we volleyed them back and forth like tennis players for a while. At about 11 or so we decided to take a break. Bob sat on the floor and I sat on the throne behind the drums. There was to be a new Rush album released in the Spring (GUP) so we chatted excitedly about it for a while. After all, we had originally bonded over our mutual love for Rush. I first fell in love with them when I traded a friend a copy of Ozzy Osbourne's Diary Of A Madman for a copy of Permanent Waves, which I listened to so much I literally wore out the tape and I also went out and bought their other albums as quickly as I could afford them. A few minutes later Bob stood up and started play the arpeggio from The Spirit of Radio. I impulsively picked up the drum sticks and just started tapping out the opening fills and rolls of the same song. It wasn't great, but it was close to adequate. Bob just stopped and said he had no idea I could play the drums and my reply was "neither did I but I have a lonbg history of drumming on things and even mentally air-drumming to songs I like". We laughed a bit and struck up TSOR once again and darned if it didn't sound fairly good! We played bits and pieces of other tunes and decided to break for lunch. It was at that time that Bob looked me right in the eyes and simply said: "sell your guitar, buy some drums". A part of me knew he was right because I never really had wholly connected with my guitar. Sure, I loved it, but not with the passionate burning intensity that marks a great guitar player. The drums, though, they were a different story! The more I sat behind them the freer I felt. My hands literally felt like two birds in flight as I pounded and tapped and flammed and paradiddled through songs. I studied Neil's method and watched him in videos as closely as I could. When he started publishing I read his books, when they went on tour, I was there, and when he released his instructional videos I was a happy man! I'm not at all a Neil Peart clone on the drums, and there are still some Rush songs that are beyond me, but I did what everyone does: steal from him what I wanted and incorporate it into my own style. One friend put it best when he saw me play. He told me I had a little Neil Peart in me but no so much that I was a copycat and that's the highest praise I've ever received music-wise. So Neil will always have a special place in my heart, my undying appreciation, and my fierce devotion.

Thank you for inspiring me all those years ago, Neil. I owe you.

Great story Jack

• Like 2

Thanks for the tip!

Wow, yes very classy. This info should be a thread of its own. Thanks.

Yes Thank you fpr posting this JC, i just downloaded .

Thank you so much for letting us all know! That was so kind of you!! Thank you! This is such a beautiful and generous gift from Audible! I've downloaded all of Neil's audio books from them. I truly needed this right now!

Edited by preetha_1987