Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I can't see Ged and Alex running from this. At the right time they will address it.

I can see them being honest and concise about it. They won't go into detail.

Honestly, what is there to say that we don't know already? Neil didn't want the news made public, so they honored his wishes.

• Like 4

Surely they will have to give at least SOME details. They can't spend the rest of their lives running from interview seekers. I'm sure they won't reveal personal family stuff, but media will have questions. Edited by presto123

"Suddenly, you were gone

From all the lives you left your mark upon"

It's been a week ago since Neil's passing, and nearly a week since we all knew. Still can't believe he's gone (too soon) That night when I heard about his passing I put in the DVD Time Stand Still and watched it, it was kinda eerie watching that last part when they played the last show, kinda made me think wow (in some ways) glad they captured the last show on film and when Mr. Peart took some pictures at the end and stood all 3 for a bow (or wave) not known what 4 Years down the road lead them. But for me now I think it was fitted end what was RUSH. Though the Music DVD's will live on as a reminder of the greatness of what RUSH is and still is.

Can't help not thinking of how Olivia is right now and also Carrie, I'm sure Geddy & Alex (with Family) comforting both of them as will morning the loss of Neil also. Not an easy thing to deal with no matter how it ends.

I'm sure, will hope Neil told them to move forward in what ever they do decide to do in the future and not give up on pursuing more music or other things whatever that might be.

As RUSH fans I think we can celebrate what RUSH gave us over the Years from Music to Concerts that we saw and hear. Got to keep the RUSH flag flying for many more Years to come.

Rest in Peace..... Neil Peart

"Off on your way

Hit the open road

There is magic at your fingers

For the spirit ever lingers

Undemanding contact

In your happy solitude"

• Like 1

I can't see Ged and Alex running from this. At the right time they will address it.

Honestly, what is there to say that we don't know already? Neil didn't want the news made public, so they honored his wishes.

Surely they will have to give at least SOME details. They can't spend the rest of their lives running from interview seekers. I'm sure they won't reveal personal family stuff, but media will have questions.

It is what it is, very difficult all the way around. The only “advantage” over us Geddy and Alex, and other close family and friends have is that they had the time to prepare for Neil’s death, and not “the shock is the paralyzing factor” as a friend of mine said, that all the fans are having with this sudden news.

They carried the heavy burden for a few years, watching their friend go through all this, “privately” up to his death. My guess is Neil helped them make a “game plan” of how, and when, and what to communicate to the fans, after his passing.

• Like 2

Surely they will have to give at least SOME details. They can't spend the rest of their lives running from interview seekers. I'm sure they won't reveal personal family stuff, but media will have questions.

Well, by ‘questions’, I think it would be nice if it were nothing more specific than, “How are you doing since your friend and band mate passed?”, and just the tote questions about maybe performing or recording some more music, thoughts about playing with another drummer now, etc...but no intrusive psychological probing or anything like that.

I personally am not interested in hearing any further details about what Neil went through in dealing with his cancer. Knowing what my mom went through with the same type of cancer, that would be a very sad tale, and telling it would just increase everyone's pain.

I think that what Geddy and Alex can do now is say some words which provide the kind of tribute to Neil which only they can provide, and which help the rest of us deal with the loss.

• Like 5

Here's a nice long interview with Neil from 1990 that as a follower since 1981 I had never heard before

Ran across that a few months back. Never knew it existed either until then. It's a pretty good one. I hope more of these make it out.

• Like 2

Agreed that it would be good to hear from Geddy and Alex, when they’re ready. This loss may take some time for many of us, especially them, to process. It’s a big loss for the world, and made more painful by our knowledge of the tragedy Neil endured two decades ago, his life being cut short, the way in which his life ended, and the wife and young daughter he leaves behind.

But we can take some consolation in knowing that, overall, he lived a good and very impactful life, as reflected by the outpouring of love from around the globe in his passing.

I have no problem waiting however long it takes for Geddy and Alex to whatever it is they need to do. Those are the guys along with family and friends are the ones I really feel for.. That's a whole other level of sadness than the one I'm currently experiencing.

• Like 8

I don't expect to hear anything anytime soon - if at all - from Ged nor Al. And that's their right.

Yes, it is...and it could definitely go that way, I could see that.

• Like 1

"Xanadu" is playing on my stereo right now. Doing the cowbell part with my fingers on my desk.

I'm embracing Rush music. It's so soothing to the soul. Progressive Rock Audio Therapy.

It works!

I’ve had almost nothing but Rush in my headphones during workouts since Friday. Normally they’re not my first choice as workout music; I tend to prefer harder stuff when I am lifting. And for cardio (I run), prog isn’t exactly the ideal choice for maintaining a rhythm! I had an excellent shoulder session earlier today with Grace Under Pressure and then a decent run through most of Signals. I will say that Power Windows and Hold Your Fire are both good songs for running. Hemispheres turned out to be great accompaniment for a leg workout, oddly enough.

82400325_107666980772755_2459229678766915584_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=b28yhnY7XKsAX_3ADqE&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=43b54c58f93e2ce6cd2c2b3efa5dce1d&oe=5EDAA09A

WHy is this allowed? All over social media....

Photoshopped?

82400325_107666980772755_2459229678766915584_n.png?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ohc=b28yhnY7XKsAX_3ADqE&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-4.fna&oh=43b54c58f93e2ce6cd2c2b3efa5dce1d&oe=5EDAA09A

Photoshopped?

Yes but they are selling the shirt. It's clearly not legal to do this....

No, it can't be legal using an image that 100% implies that Alex is endorsing the product. His lawyers could jump on that.

Producing and selling a shirt however is legal, if very distasteful. No different to those guys selling shirts outside gigs.

Just something I’ve noticed listening to so much Rush for the past few days. Don’t take this offensively...but he just doesn’t seem like he’s gone. I can’t listen to Rush without hearing drumming so vital it just is, and lyrics so present they can’t pass. And furthermore, the music still makes me want to smile, laugh, air drum, sing, live! Am I sad he’s gone, yes of course. It’s surreal to think I now live in a world without Neil Peart. It’s sad, and for his family and friends it can’t be anything less than devastating, but for me any ensuing depression seems overruled by the music and the words. I just don’t hear a passed legend when I put those records on; I hear the master at work. I posted a few days ago about a sense of finality and renewed justness in the drumming and lyrics since Neil’s passing, and that still holds for me. However I think that glow of wisdom in the music has done more to rejuvenate it than enshrine it. Maybe that doesn’t make any sense. These feelings are hard to explain, if not to describe. It’s just, my ears don’t hear someone who has passed. They hear the past as the present, and perhaps as well the future. I don’t know of another artist who’s music often is so antithetical to death, though it’s not a subject Neil will shy away from. Losing It and Afterimage are exceptions. Something For Nothing, Marathon, Open Secrets, Driven, Ghost Rider... these and so many songs of his give life.
  • Like 3

It wouldn't surprise me if Neil's written about his experiences over the past 4 years for posthumous release.

It wouldn't surprise me if Neil's written about his experiences over the past 4 years for posthumous release.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't write anything. Just like he totally gave up drumming, he may have decided to shut down writing. I can see him having no interest in "speaking from the grave", so to speak. We shall see.

It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't write anything. Just like he totally gave up drumming, he may have decided to shut down writing. I can see him having no interest in "speaking from the grave", so to speak. We shall see.

As you say, we shall see.

It certainly seems he was still writing very eloquently to friends and colleagues during his illness.

My only hope here is that whatever happens is exactly what he wished for.

I haven't been active for a while. This one won't let go. Every time I see the headline, it just doesn't seem real.

I mean, I was fine with Rush being retired, and all. I had accepted that they would never play again. But this man deserved his retirement. It's so unfair what happened to him.

It's been a rough week for all of us Rush fans, but I feel like we should focus our thoughts to his immediate family, and Geddy and Alex as well. Even though we didn't know him personally, we loved him like a family member (At least for me anyway, he was my drumbeat for 25 years of my 30 years here, so he is in some of my earliest musical memories.) Maybe that's weird? I dunno.

My heart hurts. This is so much worse for me than Dio, or even Bowie.

Take it easy big guy. Until next time.....

• Like 8

Photoshopped?

No, it can't be legal using an image that 100% implies that Alex is endorsing the product. His lawyers could jump on that.

Producing and selling a shirt however is legal, if very distasteful. No different to those guys selling shirts outside gigs.

I often get similar Floyd ones with Gilmour holding the shirt up. Clearly illegal but they seem to keep going and people buy them of course.

• Like 1

Just something I’ve noticed listening to so much Rush for the past few days. Don’t take this offensively...but he just doesn’t seem like he’s gone. I can’t listen to Rush without hearing drumming so vital it just is, and lyrics so present they can’t pass. And furthermore, the music still makes me want to smile, laugh, air drum, sing, live! Am I sad he’s gone, yes of course. It’s surreal to think I now live in a world without Neil Peart. It’s sad, and for his family and friends it can’t be anything less than devastating, but for me any ensuing depression seems overruled by the music and the words. I just don’t hear a passed legend when I put those records on; I hear the master at work. I posted a few days ago about a sense of finality and renewed justness in the drumming and lyrics since Neil’s passing, and that still holds for me. However I think that glow of wisdom in the music has done more to rejuvenate it than enshrine it. Maybe that doesn’t make any sense. These feelings are hard to explain, if not to describe. It’s just, my ears don’t hear someone who has passed. They hear the past as the present, and perhaps as well the future. I don’t know of another artist who’s music often is so antithetical to death, though it’s not a subject Neil will shy away from. Losing It and Afterimage are exceptions. Something For Nothing, Marathon, Open Secrets, Driven, Ghost Rider... these and so many songs of his give life.

I feel exactly the same when listening to their stuff. There is no sadness in it. Rush always made me feel good when listening to them and that hasn't changed with Neil's death. There have been moments listening to them since last Friday where I have gotten a little teary eyed but it's quickly replaced by the joy their music has always given me. I suppose one thing that may have helped me in accepting that Neil is gone was the fact that the band had been done for a few years before he passed. So, even though Neil wasn't really gone yet, he kind of was for me if that makes sense. As someone who has lost a couple of family members to cancer, it is quite sad to think about how things ended for him. How hard it will be for his wife and especially his young daughter to pull through this. How horrible Geddy and Alex must feel to lose a best friend that they did so much with over the last 40 plus years. But their music will never make me sad. As you said, it's full of so much life.

• Like 9

I feel exactly the same when listening to their stuff. There is no sadness in it. Rush always made me feel good when listening to them and that hasn't changed with Neil's death. There have been moments listening to them since last Friday where I have gotten a little teary eyed but it's quickly replaced by the joy their music has always given me. I suppose one thing that may have helped me in accepting that Neil is gone was the fact that the band had been done for a few years before he passed. So, even though Neil wasn't really gone yet, he kind of was for me if that makes sense. As someone who has lost a couple of family members to cancer, it is quite sad to think about how things ended for him. How hard it will be for his wife and especially his young daughter to pull through this. How horrible Geddy and Alex must feel to lose a best friend that they did so much with over the last 40 plus years. But their music will never make me sad. As you said, it's full of so much life.

I get this too. I AM sad, of course, but it's not like I can't listen to the band...and when I do, I don't feel sad. You're so right that he feels alive because that was the spirit of his playing and their songs. For that I'm grateful.

It's what Neil would want, for us to take consolation in the music and not him. We didn't know him and he felt uncomfortable about all of that adulation and he would no doubt feel equally uncomfortable with people who didn't know him mourning him as well. But take solace in the music because that was the fruit of his labor for all of us.

• Like 7

Photoshopped?

The only way I'd be OK with that shirt would be if 100% of profits went to brain cancer research and treatment, and I'd need to see verifiable proof of that being the case before I would buy one.

Come to think of it, almost everything on that shirt is copyrighted material. The photos, the lyrics, the logos....everything except Neil's birth/death dates and "Legends Never Die". Hopefully a couple of greedy bastards will get a C&D letter in short order.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 3