Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

On a weekday day off today on my own, so I’ve put on Beyond the Lighted stage. The section about the Ghost Rider, and the end clip in the restaurant, are especially poignant, seeing the love between the guys.

Neil’s lyrics may have been the single biggest philosophical influence on me. I don’t think I had realised.

We’re currently planning a trip to Canada for September, flying home to the UK from Toronto after a few days at Algonquin. It’s not on the itinerary but I think I am going to have to build in a trip to St Catherine’s to sit on the sand at Lakeside Park.

• Like 7

On a weekday day off today on my own, so I’ve put on Beyond the Lighted stage. The section about the Ghost Rider, and the end clip in the restaurant, are especially poignant, seeing the love between the guys.

Neil’s lyrics may have been the single biggest philosophical influence on me. I don’t think I had realised.

We’re currently planning a trip to Canada for September, flying home to the UK from Toronto after a few days at Algonquin. It’s not on the itinerary but I think I am going to have to build in a trip to St Catherine’s to sit on the sand at Lakeside Park.

Sounds like a good plan.

Have you seen the full dinner video? Hysterical:

• Like 1

Agreed that it would be good to hear from Geddy and Alex, when they’re ready. This loss may take some time for many of us, especially them, to process. It’s a big loss for the world, and made more painful by our knowledge of the tragedy Neil endured two decades ago, his life being cut short, the way in which his life ended, and the wife and young daughter he leaves behind.

But we can take some consolation in knowing that, overall, he lived a good and very impactful life, as reflected by the outpouring of love from around the globe in his passing.

• Like 3

Agreed that it would be good to hear from Geddy and Alex, when they’re ready. This loss may take some time for many of us, especially them, to process. It’s a big loss for the world, and made more painful by our knowledge of the tragedy Neil endured two decades ago, his life being cut short, the way in which his life ended, and the wife and young daughter he leaves behind.

But we can take some consolation in knowing that, overall, he lived a good and very impactful life, as reflected by the outpouring of love from around the globe in his passing.

Agreed, and a positive is to donate to cancer research. I couldn't afford much but felt better for doing it in Neil's memory.

Sounds like a good plan.

Yes I had, but I shall watch it again thank you.

• Like 1

Agreed, and a positive is to donate to cancer research. I couldn't afford much but felt better for doing it in Neil's memory.

Unfortunately, after spending thousands of hours researching cancer and communicating with leading cancer researchers around the world (including currently), I came to the conclusion that there's plenty of funding for cancer research, and the problem is that the money is often not well spent in terms making a real difference in preventing or treating cancer. If donating to cancer research, my suggestion would be to be very selective in making those donations.

• Like 2

The treasure of a life is a measure of love and respect

• Like 2

Here's a good convenient source to read Neil's lyrics: https://www.azlyrics.com/r/rush.html

Reading them rather than listening them, I'm finally realizing, decades later, that they're more poetry than prose.

• Like 3

Sounds like a good plan.

Yes I had, but I shall watch it again thank you.

That dinner video is one of the most charming things they've ever done and - beyond the music itself - the main reason I love this band: their genuine affection and respect for one another. And it's on full display here. Music is always first and foremost (I, like you I'm sure, love a ton of band littered with asshole members), but the fact that these men love each other so much just makes them greater by 100 fold.

No one will miss nights like this more than Geddy and Alex, but as fans we will miss this as well.

• Like 5

Unfortunately whenever Geddy and Alex begin talking to the media again, even if it's just a guitar or bass publication, you just know they're going to be inundated with questions about Neil's passing. It's only natural, of course, but I don't envy them. It looked difficult to see them discuss Neil's tragedies many, many years after the fact. Losing one of their own and being asked about it for what is likely to be a long while, I just don't envy them...(much as I, too, will take comfort in the things they share and learning more about how they dealt with things).

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 7

Unfortunately, after spending thousands of hours researching cancer and communicating with leading cancer researchers around the world (including currently), I came to the conclusion that there's plenty of funding for cancer research, and the problem is that the money is often not well spent in terms making a real difference in preventing or treating cancer. If donating to cancer research, my suggestion would be to be very selective in making those donations.

Money is rarely the rate limiting step in research. No amount of money makes a researcher smarter.

• Like 1

This makes me simultaneously happy and sad. Even in drum solos, he was disciplined, compositional, and precise. Look at his facial expression - unwavering concentration and absorption. Put on good headphone and crank this one up:

• Like 3

This makes me simultaneously happy and sad. Even in drum solos, he was disciplined, compositional, and precise. Look at his facial exp<b></b>ression - unwavering concentration and absorption. Put on good headphone and crank this one up:

I don’t know that I can watch that right now, so I’m not going to- but yes, totally agree about his determination, his discipline, the energy he brought to what he did, and the quality of the execution being of the utmost importance. Just outstanding.

• Like 2

You're a long way from me! I'm currently in Alert, Nunavut, the world's northernmost inhabited place, at the very tip of Canada. It's about -32 here right now. :)

I'm also a huge fan of Power Windows. It keeps getting better with age, I think I listen to it more than any other album.

Always lovely to meet a Canadian Rush fan! :cheers: Even your Prime Minister paid tribute to Neil, right? Just goes to show how iconic he was! :D Do keep warm! Sounds like you're experiencing some extreme weather over there! Bangalore is experiencing temperatures like 23°C at the moment :)

Power Windows is such a masterpiece. I cannot get enough of it! I play at least a couple of songs from it every few weeks. Love especially songs like "Grand Designs", "Big Money", "Territories" and "Manhattan Project". :D

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 1

Wow, he’s gone.

My fantasy of our paths crossing during on one of my back country excursions is gone. No More will I look at a BMW GS and wonder, is this the day. I played the scenario out in my mind a thousand times, I would be cool, act like I don’t know who he is or even who the band Rush is. We would share a smoke and discuss our travels.

In hindsight, I’m sure it would have been more like a scene from Wayne’s World, “Were not worthy”.

For the past week, I have been reading and listening to all the wonderful tributes. One thought has kept coming back to me during my reflection.

Who influenced me to become a better drummer?

Well of course it is Neil Peart.

But how did that happen?

I remember being that freshman in high school band class; you know, the one playing the base drum that was regulated down to “just play the cymbals”. I didn’t have enough rhythm to walk to class.

Mr. Washburn was our band teacher. He was fresh from teaching school and still finding his groove connecting with his students. In an after school practice session he informed us we were going to listen to a new album he had just picked up. Rush instantly became my favorite band and Camera Eye was instantly my new favorite song. The light went off and I spent countless hours with the metronome I slowly improved.

For the last 39 years I am still studying Neil Peart. Not only his drumming but also his writing.

Mr. Washburn, Thank you for introducing me to the music of my Hero.

• Like 5

Well, I had to make the pilgrimage.

I’ve been thinking a lot about how much music is such a big part of my life this last week. One of my few personal heroes passed suddenly this week. I’m feeling it. It’s not the mortality of it all, I came to understandings of that a long time ago. It’s something bigger than death, bigger than the passing of an era. Neil, he was the poet laureate for hard rock. Greatest drummer of all time, you bet, but also a master lyricist and writer.

My first 2 record purchases as a kid were Rush Permanent Waves and Van Halen Fair Warning. Throughout our high school and collegiate careers, our tribes pretty much feasted on a fairly constant diet of Zep, VH, Rush, and AC/DC, with generous helpings of 70’s Aero, the Doors, the Kinks, and Stevie Ray. But 9 times outta 10, at any particular gathering, it was either VH, Rush, or Zeppelin playing at any given time. My first Rush gig was later in their career, the Presto tour in ‘90, at Arco Arena in Sac. I still remember the giant inflatable bunnies. Since then, I’ve pretty much caught every tour. Irvine Meadows on the Roll the Bones tour, wrecked to high heaven. The Hollywood Bowl on the Snakes and Arrows tour, wordless at the magnificence at hand. Front and center at Gibson Amp for the Time Machine tour. San Diego for the Clockwork Angels tour. And finally The Last Rush Show at the Forum on the R40 tour, where along with everyone else in attendance I wept when Neil came out for his first - and last - bow ever.

Watching Bubba play wasn’t just watching a percussionist at the highest level. It was like watching a ballet. Such precision and tone, dedication to craftsmanship, ever the perfectionist but allowing, even humorously, for imperfections. The loss is so profound. Because it’s pure flashpoint art, and it will never be replicated, and as Neil always said, musicians are, have to be, all about live performance. And I’ve seen and experienced a LOT of legendary musical acts, and even beyond being a loyal Rush fan, I don't have to tell anyone here...a finer live power trio, there isn’t.

Anyway...I discovered the City of Angels deemed fit to place a wreath at Rush’s star on the Walk of Fame, though they, or the WeHo contingents, cleared up the candles and flowers and sticks left earlier this week. I brought a candle and a drumstick of my own, placed the stick within the wreath as you can see. And I had a long solemn moment and shed tears. It felt like I was there repping a bunch of guys n’ gals I came of age with, like I was a proxy of sorts. Like all of you, Rush was ever present throughout our lives...whether it was a few of us sitting around a campfire drinking brews in the dark hours of midnight listening to a well worn 8 track of 2112, or whether a stadium full of us were transfixed by another mind blowing drum solo.

And it was here, among the raggedy lost soul carnivals of Hollywood Boulevard, that I said my last good bye to a good man, a brilliant man, and wished him fair journeys in the worlds to come. Thanks again Neil. You gave happiness and joy to millions. No small feat. Well done, brother.

49388874851_feb6331b32_o.jpg

Edited by Bard
  • Like 19

Shameful what the President is trying to do in court. Suing to end pre-existing conditions protections for cancer patients everywhere as well. Cancer patients will be locked out of even being able to PURCHASE health insurance if he succeeds. His cruelty knows no bounds.Thankfully Neil Peart saw this and even called out GOP for their policies being cruel and anti-Christian.

I ran across this post in another forum, which I find to be very insightful, and I wanted to share it here:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/neil-peart-of-rush-passed-away/post?postid=1863433#1863433

• Like 2

Unfortunately whenever Geddy and Alex begin talking to the media again, even if it's just a guitar or bass publication, you just know they're going to be inundated with questions about Neil's passing. It's only natural, of course, but I don't envy them. It looked difficult to see them discuss Neil's tragedies many, many years after the fact. Losing one of their own and being asked about it for what is likely to be a long while, I just don't envy them...(much as I, too, will take comfort in the things they share and learning more about how they dealt with things).

I have thought about this topic lately as well. At their ages, they are probably dealing with questions about this for the rest of their lives.

I bet it will be quite some time before they do interviews. They may end up being as selective as their late friend about this.

• Like 2