Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

With very rare exceptions, we don't get tourists here.

Open up a seal/walrus meat restaurant here, an open air nightclub there, and people will flock to your happening town! ;)

With very rare exceptions, we don't get tourists here.

Open up a seal/walrus meat restaurant here, an open air nightclub there, and people will flock to your happening town! ;)

The cost of chartering a plane would be prohibitive for most, I think. ;)

Well... I listened to some Rush on the way home from work today. It was a mix of live recordings only. And I did okay. Felt good. I think coming here has helped too. Y'all have been my grief therapy. It is much appreciated.
  • Like 4

Wow, what's a Rush Didact doing all the way up there? I imagine that Neil must have visited such places in his many travels.

Running this place: https://en.wikipedia...tch_Observatory :)

As much as I'd have loved to run into him, I can say with certainty that Neil never made it up here. One of the perks of life in Alert is that the station is primarily a military signals intelligence site, so access is severely restricted and you have to have valid security clearance and a work-related reason to come up. With very rare exceptions, we don't get tourists here.

Well, now we can officially say that Rush fans include people who have some of the coolest jobs in the world (pun intended), and span the globe extending even to very close to the North Pole! (For those of you who own a globe, I highly recommend locating Alert, Nunavut on the globe - no 2D map will give you a proper sense of where this is.)

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWuGzK84oBQ&t=65s

This fan call in show has some insight into Neil's last 2 months and the day before he passed. This caller has a friend that was obviously in Neil's inner circle. He's so choked up that he can hardly speak. This guy knew that Neil was going to pass and was decent enough not to leak it to anybody. His story goes from 50:30 to 53:30 or so for those that want to hear it. So glad he decided to share. Not a lot of details, but this guy was just as shocked and distraught as the rest of us are even though he knew what was inevitable.

• Like 4

Has anyone heard anything about the funeral? I would like to know where and when they're having it and if there will be a public memorial of some kind.
  • Like 1

Has anyone heard anything about the funeral? I would like to know where and when they're having it and if there will be a public memorial of some kind.

They already had a private ceremony. Neil died on the 7th and it wasn't announced until the 10th. Since no other news has come out about it, I think it's safe to say that the announcement of his death wasn't made until after the funeral was done.

• Like 2

They already had a private ceremony. Neil died on the 7th and it wasn't announced until the 10th. Since no other news has come out about it, I think it's safe to say that the announcement of his death wasn't made until after the funeral was done.

There could still be some kind of public remembrance where people get up and speak and such. I hope somebody arranges something like that. Neil would hate that. LOL! He was even wanting to get the HOF induction over with:)

• Like 2

There could still be some kind of public remembrance where people get up and speak and such. I hope somebody arranges something like that. Neil would hate that. LOL! He was even wanting to get the HOF induction over with:)

I was able to relate to Neil in that way. I'm an introverted and private person like he was. I don't ever want a big fuss made over me and when I do have to do something where a large number of people are involved, I just want to get it over with and not have too much attention drawn to me.

• Like 4

He even got a write up in The National Review:

https://www.national...eart-1952-2020/

Yes- really good tribute, I thought.

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.national...een-this-wrong/

I am again reminded of the words of that fine musical sage, Ben Sidran:

"Critics, can't even float, just stand on the shore and wave at the boat".

• Like 2

He even got a write up in The National Review:

https://www.national...eart-1952-2020/

Yes- really good tribute, I thought.

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.national...een-this-wrong/

People who judge without a measure of mercy

Always angry and dissatisfied

Thank your stars you're not that way...

• Like 2

So funny. I downloaded these last two vids you posted earlier today. Cheers! lol

I know most of you have seen it before, but great CNN band interview here featuring Neil talking a lot. Hopefully some haven't seen it. Ha!

Edited by presto123
  • Like 4

I joined this forum because I need to "talk to someone" about this; I can't bear the grief alone!

After the initial shock of hearing the news I was then sort of numb for a while, but now I feel the grief building and welling over me more and more every day.

I know this is going to sound weird, but whilst I can't imagine the agony that Alex and Geddy are suffering I really want to hear from them. It's like they are the leaders of this almighty family that is suffering so badly and I am looking to them to help us at this time. Crazy I know.

Thanks, I feel a little better already!

• Like 9

I joined this forum because I need to "talk to someone" about this; I can't bear the grief alone!

After the initial shock of hearing the news I was then sort of numb for a while, but now I feel the grief building and welling over me more and more every day.

I know this is going to sound weird, but whilst I can't imagine the agony that Alex and Geddy are suffering I really want to hear from them. It's like they are the leaders of this almighty family that is suffering so badly and I am looking to them to help us at this time. Crazy I know.

Tim!!! Again I know a stranger can become a friend. You came to the best place on the Internet. Trust me. This is IT!

Nothing is weird Tim. Everyone is grieving. Even my oldest daughter just told me that "everyone" is heartbroken by this tragedy. She is 22. Thank goodness I took Zo to Rush twice in her life.

Even many of her friends are texting about it. Many are worried about me. I am fine Tim. I've been a wreck but friends and family from the world have supported just a dude like me who has loved Neil since 1981. Seventh grade baby.

So CHIN UP!

We are all in this together. I truly believe time is the healer. Each day I wake up I am feeling better.

I have cried a swimming pool of tears and it never stopped me to play Rush music every night since Friday.

Tonight I played my drums to some Rush records for the first time all year. Damn, you can never get too rusty to play along to Neil's drum tracks.

I got through "Hold Your Fire." Then I did "Grace Under Pressure." Ended the night on "Hemispheres." My favorite to play and I was not on point tonight. I'm going to play every night again. For me and for Neil. Incredible therapy.

On a side note you guys won't believe this. So as I was playing my drums to "The Trees" I put a 13 inch crack right down the center of my Neil Peart signed DW snare head! I was totally tripping you guys. The crack in the snare was like the jagged line going through my broken heart!!

Crazy!!

I am saving that snare head forever......

NEIL RULES!!!! I LOVE YOU!

• Like 7

I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been very helpful to me to read and know that we are all in the same boat. It still hurts, but we will all get through this together. I also wish we could hear something from Geddy and Alex. But, at least we all have each other until we do hear from them.

• Like 4

Thanks Earl, Rush people are good people.

I first saw Rush at Hammersmith Odeon, London in about 1979 I think and, as so many people say, they have provided the soundtrack to my life ever since. Saw them on just about every tour they did since then and taken at least three (bored) girlfriends along too! When they didn't come to England for the farewell tour I was so angry and gutted that my life's adventure with the three guys from Canada should end that way. But I came to forgive them :).

I haven't been able to listen to a single Rush song since the tragic news but have so many of them playing in my head. Watching this Vertical Horizon vid over and over though, for some reason it is "okay" for me as it isn't Rush! Crazy (but a great song, and performance from The Professor):

• Like 6

I'm so glad I found this forum. It's been very helpful to me to read and know that we are all in the same boat. It still hurts, but we will all get through this together. I also wish we could hear something from Geddy and Alex. But, at least we all have each other until we do hear from them.

You are a long awaited friend too!!

Wow! I'm kind of blown away right now and I am lucky.

Tim from England and now Test from California!!

This is the time to come together as a Rush Family.

Again, this is THE GREATEST FORUM ON THE PLANET!!! Trust me guys.

Welcome to The Rush Forum. There are so many wonderful people here from all over the world.

I know them. Been here since 2006.

You are in good hands. "A Show Of Hands!" Sorry! That's me! I love the pun and I am a nerd! LOL! Trying to make you smile during this tragic time.

RUSH ON!

• Like 4

Thanks Earl, Rush people are good people.

I first saw Rush at Hammersmith Odeon, London in about 1979 I think and, as so many people say, they have provided the soundtrack to my life ever since. Saw them on just about every tour they did since then and taken at least three (bored) girlfriends along too! When they didn't come to England for the farewell tour I was so angry and gutted that my life's adventure with the three guys from Canada should end that way. But I came to forgive them :).

I haven't been able to listen to a single Rush song since the tragic news but have so many of them playing in my head. Watching this Vertical Horizon vid over and over though, for some reason it is "okay" for me as it isn't Rush! Crazy (but a great song, and performance from The Professor):

Tim!

I already feel that I know you!

First off... you mean "better people, better food, better beer!" Right? LOL!

All "Territories" on the Earth are mourning for Neil.

So second....

I am very jealous that you saw RUSH in 1979. So lucky!!!!!

I tell people that I have seen RUSH 60 times since 1984. So what! I'm lucky too but I never saw RUSH in the Seventies. It's always something regardless of passion and love for the greatest band in the world.

Third...

Like your three boring girlfriends.

Tell me about it.

I was married for 19 years. I have two beautiful daughters and I was still able to drag my ex wife around North America to see RUSH. I probably took her to 25 shows.

Believe my my new friend, I was not as selfish as you think.

I know my ex wife wasn't into it but she never said no, and I always took her.

I always made sure whether we were in Toronto, Jersey, Red Rocks, New Mexico, Seattle, or San Diego.

I always took her to the best hotels, best restaurants and even great shopping.

I did give a lot to see my band.

Yet we still failed for other reasons that really weren't that dramatic.

I will never understand but life goes on.

I love meeting new people every day and you and Test For Echo are cool.

This Forum Rules! Sorry for rambling. It's what I'm good at. I drive people crazy on here, but many love me.

I am blessed.

This Forum is helping get through this loss.

My mentor, my inspiration, my drumming Professor. I love Neil so much.

Cheers!

• Like 4

I was able to relate to Neil in that way. I'm an introverted and private person like he was. I don't ever want a big fuss made over me and when I do have to do something where a large number of people are involved, I just want to get it over with and not have too much attention drawn to me.

Wow! J2!

I didn't know you were an introvert and very private.

I am sorry that I'm that opposite persona. A loud mouthed CAPS ON speed finger gunslinger looking for a late night laugh kind of goofball.

Well that part of me is on hold man. It was really just a silly schtick.

Was just trying to find the "Limelight" on a public Rush Forum. The gilded stage.

It's all about Neil now.

One of the greatest humans to ever live on this planet. No GOAT here. We are all a GOAT!

Let's face it everyone. We were the first sperm to the egg. We were all the fastest swimmers in the genetic pool of life. "Champion" comes to mind! My favorite Neil Peart drum track outside of RUSH. Jeff Berlin! I live Vertical Horizon too Tim. Check out Jeff Berlin's "Champion" track with Neil!

I might write some Rush lyrics tonight kids!

Signed,

"Natural Science"

• Like 3