Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I was touched and I hope you can take some solace in that there are (likely) millions of us sharing our loss of Neil.

You're very welcome! And thank you so much for the lovely sentiments! Being on this forum is extremely comforting, as I am getting to read so many lovely tributes to Neil from Rush fans from all over the globe. Knowing that there are so many others who are going through the same emotions as I am is extremely comforting, as I know that there are folks out there who can understand and empathize with my grief.

• Like 1

I confess that I have been lurking for quite a while now.

I finally decided to sign up to pay my respects to The Professor and join the community of several fans who are grieving just like I am.

Welcome, you're among friends here. :hug2: Thank you for sharing your story.

It's amazing how many people have been touched by Rush's music. I never imagined I'd meet a Rush fan from India, but nothing surprises me anymore with this band. They're universal.

• Like 1

He even got a write up in The National Review:

https://www.national...eart-1952-2020/

Yes- really good tribute, I thought.

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.national...een-this-wrong/

In this country crazed with shallow social media, there are a lot of people like this who'll say something controversial, even callously mean, just to get attention.

Kevin Williamson takes on the role of counterpoint frequently; it's part of what defines his column.

But no fair pulling two lines of a song to illustrate his (wrong) opinion of Peart's writing. Of course those lyrics look stupid sitting out there on their own, without the context to fill in the parable. Neil himself admitted to finding some of his earlier Randian-inspired work cringeworthy. Hell, he was in his 20s when he wrote it, just starting to explore other avenues besides the all-pervasive and overdone "let's party" themes and unrequited love stories.

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

In this country crazed with shallow social media, there are a lot of people like this who'll say something controversial, even callously mean, just to get attention.

Kevin Williamson takes on the role of counterpoint frequently; it's part of what defines his column.

But no fair pulling two lines of a song to illustrate his (wrong) opinion of Peart's writing. Of course those lyrics look stupid sitting out there on their own, without the context to fill in the parable. Neil himself admitted to finding some of his earlier Randian-inspired work cringeworthy. Hell, he was in his 20s when he wrote it, just starting to explore other avenues besides the all-pervasive and overdone "let's party" themes and unrequited love stories.

And Williamson did what a lot of columnists/reviewers do when they hate or don't understand Rush (or prog) -- instead of digging deep or doing proper research, they cherry-pick things like those lines from The Trees, or pull out a Dungeons and Dragons or Ayn Rand reference as if those things define Neil's whole career, and then go back to their high school days and call Rush fans "nerds." Real hard-hitting and insightful journalism, right? Williamson is into The Ramones and bands like that, and that's cool, but he's clearly not qualified to comment on bands that are way over his head, like Rush. But in this day and age where newspapers and magazines are moving online and much of the revenue is dependent upon advertising and click-baiting, contrarian and ignorant articles such as this one will get clicks, and it's all about the clicks.

• Like 5

Broke my heart when I first heard/read the news. Still breaks my heart now. I read the beautiful words written by those who knew him best and I realize the impact this gentle giant had on so many. Not just fans of course but true friends. He got to live his life mostly in his own way. He was a victim of what I call the 50/50 life. 50% of true greatness and the highest of highs and the other 50% suffering and tragedy. My heart breaks for his daughter and wife going forward. My heart breaks for Neil who just wanted to be a regular guy and live his life with his family. To make up for lost time. The balance out the sacrifice he made earlier in the name of music and what he missed out on. He received a 2nd chance and was determined to make the best of it with his new wife and new daughter. Honestly this was a cruel joke on this man who brought joy to so many. Obviously most of us didn't know the man but it doesn't lessen the impact his life had on us. As we all know he was the soundtrack to our lives. Inspired us. Left us in awe.Not many "celebs" have an impact like this when they pass, but there was just something about Neil and of the course Alex and Geddy. Rush fans have always been a tight family. With Neil, Alex, and Ged in the middle Rush fans circled around them and protected them. An outpouring of emotion from us the fans but also his friends speaks volumes. Neil was Neil until the very end. When I found out and tears began to flow I poured myself a drink and went outside and screamed to sky f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that a few times. It hit hard. Still does. There was always just something special about all 3 of the guys and the relationship with their fans. We cared. They cared. We still care. They still care. Always will. Neil in fact move the world. We are all feeling that. RIP NEP. f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Like 4

And Williamson did what a lot of columnists/reviewers do when they hate or don't understand Rush (or prog) -- instead of digging deep or doing proper research, they cherry-pick things like those lines from The Trees, or pull out a Dungeons and Dragons or Ayn Rand reference as if those things define Neil's whole career, and then go back to their high school days and call Rush fans "nerds." Real hard-hitting and insightful journalism, right? Williamson is into The Ramones and bands like that, and that's cool, but he's clearly not qualified to comment on bands that are way over his head, like Rush. But in this day and age where newspapers and magazines are moving online and much of the revenue is dependent upon advertising and click-baiting, contrarian and ignorant articles such as this one will get clicks, and it's all about the clicks.

That, and someone always has to be the first to lob a turd into the punch bowl.

• Like 1

It is very hard to express how I feel about this very sad loss of our dear Neil Peart. I just found out yesterday afternoon. My heart is torn forever by this loss! Of course, it is sad when one person pass away, but, when it is a band member of a band, then, it hits you. I am so heartbroken over this...Neil brought all of us Rush fans happiness, joys, tears, sometimes thoughtfulness to his lyrics. I was 18 years old in High School in 2010 when I got into Rush by listening to "S&A:Live" over and over, but, feeling a sense of wonder, and a bit of a mystery as who was these guys.

Then, came the albums, two concert DVDs from them and was blown away by the love and passion they put in their works and friendship as well. Nothing came close at all.

Neil was the best, powerful drummer you could've looked up to, by making you feel something when he plays. I still at a loss for words when trying to express how you feel about someone you never met, but feel liked ya did know him.

Geddy, Alex, and all of Rush family and fans, :rush: to Carrie and Olivia Peart, my condolences to you all and I hope that you find a peaceful knowing that Neil was loved the most out of all of us here.

RIP, Mr. Neil E. Peart. I miss ya, sweet friend, see ya soon.

:( :boohoo: :Neil:

Signed, Susan Misty Taylor.

• Like 3

This was a nice tribute and insight from someone who knew Neil personally

https://www.instagra...id=4yzq9x0hciu6

That is fantastic. Thank you for the link.

Makes me feel really good to know that Neil was listening to Hold Your Fire regularly. Tremendous album overall, and really tremendous lyrics.

HYF is way underrated, IMO.

• Like 4

Makes me feel really good to know that Neil was listening to Hold Your Fire regularly. Tremendous album overall, and really tremendous lyrics.

More keys being tickled there than frets, but still a pretty damned good album.

• Like 1

Definitely; I love it.

More keys being tickled there than frets, but still a pretty damned good album.

Also true.

I’ve always thought that both the songwriting and the musicianship are tremendous on it. I love, love, love that album.

• Like 2

As a fan of both Mr. Williamson's writing and Mr. Peart, I agree with your assessment. He's a gadfly. One can argue that this is not the time for commentary of that tenor, but that probably only makes Kevin more likely to offer it.

I remember back in 1981ish, I was a subscriber to Circus magazine. They had a writer, Steve something, who wrote a review of the Moving Pictures tour. He had quotes from another journalist who said that PeW had really changed his view of the band, favorably. Steve wasn't impressed. I remember him quoting lines from Tom Sawyer and saying something very close to "Neil Peart gets to have the last laugh. He gets to write this ca-ca (I remember him using that term very clearly) and doesn't even have to sing it." To each their own. Doesn't change my feelings about the music.

• Like 1

Welcome, you're among friends here. :hug2: Thank you for sharing your story.

It's amazing how many people have been touched by Rush's music. I never imagined I'd meet a Rush fan from India, but nothing surprises me anymore with this band. They're universal.

Thank you so much! :heart: As the old saying goes, "music is universal". I am loving the Rush forums so far. During this difficult time, this site is proving to be a sanctuary. My family does not understand my utter devotion to the band and believes that I take Rush's music way too seriously! :LOL: For instance, I almost fell off my chair when I heard "Subdivisions" for the first time! I mean I was that kid. The introvert. The shy misfit. That video depicts my high school years. But, looking back, I have absolutely no regrets. I am still introverted. I am an INFJ personality. I have always had a penchant for music that makes you think, you know? Though my dad introduced me to some amazing bands over the years, I was always in search of "my" band. A band that I could relate to. A band that spoke my language and who went beyond the usual lyrical subjects of a typical rock band! :) I was also floored upon hearing songs like "Manhattan Project". I mean which other band on planet earth could talk about such interesting and deep subjects? Needless to say, albums like "Power Windows" and "Caress of Steel" became obsessions! Gosh! As usual, even online, when I start talking about Rush, I tend to ramble! :LOL:

I'll admit that Rush fans from India are a rare breed :D I'm from the Southern Indian city of Bangalore.

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 8

There are two sides to Neil in my life. There's what he meant to me and the influence he's in my life, and then there's the more objective element of his achievements.

Rush, and Neil's drumming, we're a source of personal joy. Making music that transported me to other worlds and took me out of the bounds of my suburban life.

His work was something that friends could bond round. Whether it was playing (badly) along to Rush songs, going to the concerts or, most importantly, having a shared passion with pals.

More objectively, he was an amazing drummer who remained restless in his pursuit of understanding of the drums. He also hit them very hard.

As a life's work, the thing that impresses me the most is that he had a vision of what the drums we're and stayed true to that vision with, seemingly, unwavering integrity.

• Like 7

Thank you so much! :heart: As the old saying goes, "music is universal". I am loving the Rush forums so far. During this difficult time, this site is proving to be a sanctuary. My family does not understand my utter devotion to the band and believes that I take Rush's music way too seriously! :LOL: For instance, I almost fell off my chair when I heard "Subdivisions" for the first time! I mean I was that kid. The introvert. The shy misfit. That video depicts my high school years. But, looking back, I have absolutely no regrets. I am still introverted. I am an INFJ personality. I have always had a penchant for music that makes you think, you know? Though my dad introduced me to some amazing bands over the years, I was always in search of "my" band. A band that I could relate to. A band that spoke my language and who went beyond the usual lyrical subjects of a typical rock band! :) I was also floored upon hearing songs like "Manhattan Project". I mean which other band on planet earth could talk about such interesting and deep subjects? Needless to say, albums like "Power Windows" and "Caress of Steel" became obsessions! Gosh! As usual, even online, when I start talking about Rush, I tend to ramble! :LOL:

I'll admit that Rush fans from India are a rare breed :D I'm from the Southern Indian city of Bangalore.

You're a long way from me! I'm currently in Alert, Nunavut, the world's northernmost inhabited place, at the very tip of Canada. It's about -32 here right now. :)

I'm also a huge fan of Power Windows. It keeps getting better with age, I think I listen to it more than any other album.

• Like 4

You're a long way from me! I'm currently in Alert, Nunavut, the world's northernmost inhabited place, at the very tip of Canada. It's about -32 here right now. :)

I'm also a huge fan of Power Windows. It keeps getting better with age, I think I listen to it more than any other album.

Wow, what's a Rush Didact doing all the way up there? I imagine that Neil must have visited such places in his many travels.

There are two sides to Neil in my life. There's what he meant to me and the influence he's in my life, and then there's the more objective element of his achievements.

Rush, and Neil's drumming, we're a source of personal joy. Making music that transported me to other worlds and took me out of the bounds of my suburban life.

His work was something that friends could bond round. Whether it was playing (badly) along to Rush songs, going to the concerts or, most importantly, having a shared passion with pals.

More objectively, he was an amazing drummer who remained restless in his pursuit of understanding of the drums. He also hit them very hard.

As a life's work, the thing that impresses me the most is that he had a vision of what the drums we're and stayed true to that vision with, seemingly, unwavering integrity.

Hey there, old friend. Hope you are well.

Hey there, old friend. Hope you are well.

I hate disco, but Disco is pretty cool.

Wow, what's a Rush Didact doing all the way up there? I imagine that Neil must have visited such places in his many travels.

Running this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Neil_Trivett_Global_Atmosphere_Watch_Observatory :)

As much as I'd have loved to run into him, I can say with certainty that Neil never made it up here. One of the perks of life in Alert is that the station is primarily a military signals intelligence site, so access is severely restricted and you have to have valid security clearance and a work-related reason to come up. With very rare exceptions, we don't get tourists here.

• Like 2