Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

He even got a write up in The National Review:

https://www.national...eart-1952-2020/

Yes- really good tribute, I thought.

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.national...een-this-wrong/

If I was Carrie and Olivia, I'd sue for slander.

I didn't see anything slanderous there. Just acutely biased opinions.

Huh. I see the classless ravings of a complete asshole.
  • Like 1

His passing is one of the hardest I’ve ever dealt with. Vapor trails has new meaning to me now.

I asked my wife over the weekend, who is s psychologist, why Im so bummed about Neils death. Ive never met him. He likely wouldnt want to have met me as he was very private. She said, its both part of your childhood thats now gone, and also pushes your own mortality into the forefront. Im in my late 40s and my kids are growing up so fast. And she is right. And it sucks.

I mentioned something similar to this on a post I made to my store's FB page (I manage a drum shop). I never understood why people would get so upset when a celebrity passed away until now. One of my customers commented on it and said "We don't cry when someone "famous" passes away because we felt like we knew them. We cry because they helped us get to know ourselves."

Both he and your wife are absolutely correct.

That's a great quote.

• Like 4

We don't cry when someone "famous" passes away because we felt like we knew them. We cry because they helped us get to know ourselves.

I believe that our favorite musicians and literary writers help us become ourselves. Much more than TV or film artists, our musical and literary heroes help us build our worldviews. Especially in our formative years, we take their thoughts, ideas and emotions and make them our own.

When I talk about Humanity and the world in general, you can hear the ideas of Peart, Clarke, Sagan, Herbert, ... and maybe even Cleese. ;)

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 9

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

Those too. But being an asshole isn't actionable.

I confess that I have been lurking for quite a while now.

I finally decided to sign up to pay my respects to The Professor and join the community of several fans who are grieving just like I am.

I am a 30-something female Rush fan from the Indian subcontinent. These past few days have been extremely hard for me. Neil's death has hit me really hard. A part of me still thinks that this is all a horrible dream! In fact, I am still hoping to wake up and find that he is still alive!

I grew up listening to bands like Queen, The Who, Yes, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Baker Gurvitz Army, and Jethro Tull thanks to my dad's music collection, but interestingly, he never introduced me to Rush. Then in March, 2014, on a seemingly mundane Sunday morning thanks to Youtube's "recommended for you" mechanism, I got to listen to "Bastille Day" and "2112" for the first time. My first album was "Caress of Steel". Within 6 months, I bought all the albums that Rush had ever made and the rest as they say is history. I also had a special moment with my dad on my 29th birthday, when we listened to "Hemispheres" together. I felt so proud when I introduced Rush to my dad, in the sense that I was glad that I could return the favour in my own small way, as he has been the one who has introduced me to a lot of great music over the years!

Fast forward to the horrible afternoon of the 11th of January, 2020. The time was around 12:06 PM. I had just taken a shower and I was drying my hair. I felt good and I was about to carry out the mundane task of doing my laundry. Then something made me check twitter. I wish that I never had. I would never have heard the horrible news that day. But I guess I wouldn't have been blissfully unaware for long, given that the horrid news appeared on my Facebook news feed. There to the right of the screen under what was trending was the eerie hashtag #ripneilpeart. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that the hashtag was referring to THE Neil Peart of Rush!!! Rush - the band I adored so much!!

It was as if the world had suddenly stopped turning. With trembling hands I clicked on the hashtag, only to find the absolutely devastating headline: "Rush's Neil Peart Dead At 67". I just couldn't believe it! I mean the guy had happily retired to spend some quality time with his lovely wife and little girl and now he's dead?! I felt that I was being punched in the gut when I heard that Neil had been fighting brain cancer for 3 and a half years and that he was in hospice care since mid-November!

This weekend was definitely an emotional mess for me. I actually cried at random and my mom thought that I had gone mad! I then through the tears, had to explain to her what had happened. But I didn't expect her to understand. I confess that I have been crying quietly on and off these past few days. I just cannot help myself!

What angers and saddens me is the fact that after having touched millions of lives with his craft, Neil had to endure and die from the most aggressive form of brain cancer known to humanity. It all seems so bloody unfair!!! I mean why did a man like Neil Peart who has done so much good in this complex world of ours have to suffer so much? Why?!

I know that I am neither a close friend nor a family member of Neil's, but given how much Rush means to me in terms of their musicianship, musical prowess and powerful and inspiring lyrics, I feel like I have lost a friend! I do admire Geddy's and Alex's loyalty to Neil to protect his painful secret to the very end. Those three demonstrate true friendship that runs so deep. I really feel for Geddy and Alex right now. I just cannot imagine the emotional pain that they are enduring now.

As a fan, I do wish that I could have been more prepared to face this. I may not be able to listen to Rush for a while (at least for a couple of months), especially songs like "Fly By Night", "Afterimage", "Bravado", "The Garden", "Time Stand Still", "Limelight", "Closer To The Heart", "Nobody's Hero", etc. It is just too painful and too soon.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I was touched and I hope you can take some solace in that there are (likely) millions of us sharing our loss of Neil.

• Like 3

I just saw some dork perpetuating the stupid GOAT argument.

"Oh, your guy can't be the Greatest. My guy is the Greatest, just because I say so...." :facepalm:

How insecure do you have to be to challenge an opinion in someone's remembrance of a great drummer days after his death?? But hipsters almost deem it a personal insult to have an opinion on music that differs from theirs.

• Like 1

This was a nice tribute and insight from someone who knew Neil personally

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7PnbBRAXcX/?igshid=4yzq9x0hciu6

That is fantastic. Thank you for the link.

Makes me feel really good to know that Neil was listening to Hold Your Fire regularly. Tremendous album overall, and really tremendous lyrics.

• Like 3

There are a lot of amazing tributes and memories here, and it's helping me deal with it. These pages are just further validating what I already knew about Rush fans. It's right to share the pain with you folks.
  • Like 5

I stood by when the news first came in because admittedly I haven't been following the band for even a fraction as long as some of the forum members I got to know from my time here. The outpour surprised me. A lot of irl friends who I didn't know were a part of this scene posting touching tributes, too.

It makes me sad that Neil did not get the retirement he wanted to have. Compromises with touring towards the end of his career with the band, and then having to battle cancer. It is insanely unfair. I've spent a few days ruminating over this now.

RIP

• Like 1

You just know that there will be a Neil Peart documentary coming at some point. Buddy Rich's daughter wanted to make a film/documentary years ago, but it ultimately got too painful and intrusive for Neil so she agreed to cancel the project.

You just know that there will be a Neil Peart documentary coming at some point. Buddy Rich's daughter wanted to make a film/documentary years ago, but it ultimately got too painful and intrusive for Neil so she agreed to cancel the project.

I'd love to see a biopic down the line. Neil's a very interesting character and his life's events are nothing if not dramatic.

Those too. But being an asshole isn't actionable.

Then the laws must change!!!

:LOL:

• Like 3

I stood by when the news first came in because admittedly I haven't been following the band for even a fraction as long as some of the forum members I got to know from my time here. The outpour surprised me. A lot of irl friends who I didn't know were a part of this scene posting touching tributes, too.

It makes me sad that Neil did not get the retirement he wanted to have. Compromises with touring towards the end of his career with the band, and then having to battle cancer. It is insanely unfair. I've spent a few days ruminating over this now.

There's a lesson there. Certainly he squeezed a lot out of life, but the time away from family...

From Rush is a band...late 2018

82116154_2511904442464222_73120869026627584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_ohc=sSMfexOKPsEAX_o4dzC&_nc_ht=scontent.fosl3-2.fna&oh=5b799850bffe125435c7b2f148b7eee8&oe=5E9113E1

Well, I "liked" the post, but I didn't like it. It broke my heart. (That's the Caveman, I believe?)

Yep, Kevin "Caveman" Shirley. Engineered the Counterparts album, for those who didn't know.

You can see Neil's cars in the background. Looks like the game garage we saw in Time Stand Still for Neil's interviews.

Looks like my last post was May 2016. I've never been much of a regular or anything either.

Like anyone else, recent events brought me here. I don't really have anything special or unique to say, or offer... just that I'm here, and, to use a quote, I feel the way you would.

• Like 5