Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

The disbelief has worn off a bit, and I've been able to wrap my brain around all this.

And so many poignant words have already been typed, with so many fans expressing thoughts and emotions that I share.

I think the deal with so many die-hard fans is that the connection to the band is somewhat intimate for us. Rush was a discovery that was OURS. In the heyday, when Rush were still a cult band, it meant instant friendship if you discovered someone else at your school was a Rush fan. And there was palpable excitement when you'd hear them on the radio, or catch a video on MTV (by 1990, seeing Rush on MTV was RARE, but it happened!).

Sewn into the Rush fabric of fandom is the interconnectedness that the ENTIRE Rush community has with each other. There are thousands, maybe millions of us, and we have an immediate understanding of the core sensibilities of each and every one of us.

The band itself, shares in that interconnectedness -- like plants in a rainforest.

So when someone, like Neil Peart, passes away, we feel that loss as a collective organism. We are all a part of it. The feeling of loss gets magnified because we can imagine the many thousands of people (whom we don't know) grieving the way we are. Very much like the Force.

The foundation for all of this, of course, is the band, and their musical output: 45 Years of interesting music. From bar band rock and roll to prog metal - to pop music. From GREAT to embarassing (haha!). 3 middle class, down-to-earth suburban dudes who share a special musical alchemy head out into the world to find their fortune. Neil Peart was the ultimate US - intelligent, powerful, brooding, bookish, artistic, musical. We knew, when we were 16, that being a jock, or courting popularity, was just not in the cards, and as Rush showed, not at all necessary. That it was all a trick. That being a follower meant death.

That was the dream for so many fans: leaving home and conquering the world with their friends. And friendship is at the heart of all of this. Real friendship is through thick and thin, drunk or sober, fat or skinny.

The groupie fantasy is just that - I mean shit it happens, and it's so much fun being young, in a band, getting non-stop pussy, but all of that is fleeting. That's not why we are fans of Rush. It's deeper. Motley Crue is a fun rock and roll band, but be honest: you don't really go back to those records like you do with Rush, or other GREAT bands.

Can you get more "fantasy" than the 80s glam-rock heyday? How ridiculous! All the posturing, pouting and bullshit, and not to mention the havoc it wreaked on the actual lives of so many of these musicians. Rush just sailed above all that.

Ironically, Rush was maligned by critics for being "fantasy music". "Sci-Fi, nerdy, dorky..." But it was so much more grounded in reality than EVERYTHING else. The truth is that their music disturbed critics, because it made that the other nonsense they were highlighting (because of money, drugs, whatever reason) so much more apparent. Perhaps look at a side by side of 80s Geddy vs. 80s Vince Neil. Geddy (no makeup, giant nose, glasses) makes Vince (makeup, blond tresses) look utterly hilarious.

Critics HATED Rush because Rush (Especially Neil f***ing Peart) wouldn't play the dumb game.

It's no mystery that critics made their real money blackmailing bands - promising good stories in exchange for money and access. Rush worked on a much more natural system - quid pro quo. You be nice to us FIRST, and maybe we'll let YOU in.

Think of all the blow Motley Crue had to buy for all those Radio scumbags...

It's so sad that it takes Neil Peart's passing to inspire me, and remind me of those reasons why I loved the band to begin with.

What you own is your own kingdom

What you do is your own glory

What you love is your own power

What you live is your own story

In your head is the answer

Let it guide you along

Let your heart be the anchor

And the beat of your song

I resolve to embrace music more, to follow my muse more, to give more love to the world (and those I already love). To be a better citizen of the world. To recognize that the clock is ticking, and that the time to act is now.

What a gift to the world Neil Peart was, and IS!

Edited by chemistry1973
  • Like 8

He even got a write up in The National Review:

https://www.national...eart-1952-2020/

Yes- really good tribute, I thought.

Agree 100%. Excellent essay. :haz:

• Like 1

A friend of mine asked me for music recommendations a couple weeks ago. I sent her youtube links to Big Wreck, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson and Peter Gabriel.

On Friday morning (before the horrible news broke) I sent her "Between The Wheels" just to see what she thought of it. The next day she asked me if I knew what happened before I sent the song. I did not. She had heard of Rush but never really listened to them. She could tell I was upset and that led to more conversation about Rush and Neil in particular. "You mean he wrote the lyrics???" Yes!

She is currently a teacher but until recently she was a professional dancer. I sent her "Losing It" and 3 other Rush songs. I also included the link to the drum solo in Frankfurt someone posted on this thread.

Her Response: "I've only listened to Losing It so far, but I'm crying. I'm not sure if it's the home hitting lyrics or the beyond exquisite music that put me in this place, but these words certainly started them flowing. f**k I miss my career.

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you, the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee

Drums...oh my god...my language...you're speaking....He's speaking! I think I just fell in love with Neil Peart. I mean it. I'm in a daze right now

A beautiful god just left us"

She gets it.

"Losing It" is as brilliant as a song can be.

Besides Neil snapping a pic of us in LA and then running up to Alex and Geddy.

This will forever by my favorite memory of Neil. I was so blessed to have 3rd row seats for this show. I looked in the aisle and saw Jack Black playing air guitar to Red Barchetta. There was a buzz in the air that night.

I was 90% sure this would be their final show, which is why I went all out for those seats. But when I saw Neil do what he did, I was 100% sure. He was doing things during 2112 that were completely out of character. I love that I witnessed it all.

Thanks for the reminder of that night Earl...

• Like 2

His passing is one of the hardest I’ve ever dealt with. Vapor trails has new meaning to me now.

I asked my wife over the weekend, who is s psychologist, why Im so bummed about Neils death. Ive never met him. He likely wouldnt want to have met me as he was very private. She said, its both part of your childhood thats now gone, and also pushes your own mortality into the forefront. Im in my late 40s and my kids are growing up so fast. And she is right. And it sucks.

Thanks for posting this.

When I heard the news Friday afternoon, I admit, I shed a few tears. I felt like a part of me died. After a few minutes, I thought I must be out of my mind. I didn't lose a family member or even a friend I knew. What right did I have to be so upset when Neil's family and friends were filled with grief?

Three days later... I'm still bummed. Then, I read your wife's response. I'm not so bummed anymore. Now it makes sense. I'm lucky that my parents are still alive and in good health. I forgot that they, nor I, will live forever. Neil's unfortunate passing was a reminder that we are not immortal.

I was 12 when I became a Rush fan. Now, I'm almost 48. That part of my childhood may be gone, but I'm so glad Rush's music was a part of my childhood and adulthood. I will always have the music, the videos, and the memories of the many concerts I attended over the years. For that, I will be forever grateful.

Maybe this line from the movie Almost Famous sums it all up?: "To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts."

Then you and are about the same age. The only thing I regret is that I never got to take my son to a Rush concert. He recently asked in the car as we were driving if Rush would ever play again. This was about a month ago. Hes not a huge music fan either. I said that if they ever do, we are going. He was 10 for R40 and the only gig I could make was in Newark NJ (a pretty decent drive from me). I didnt want to drag him along because of that and his age. We had terrible seats too. Now, I wish I had.

Have to admit, the "makes you think about your own mortality" is really hitting home and the words of the Garden keep ringing in my head. And I admit, i have been spending alot of time in recent years worrying about my business and working, and im not "tending to my garden" enough. Sounds weird to even write for me, but its true. Maybe the lesson from all this is to get busy living and dont forget about your garden.

This post could have been written by me - same exact situation.... My 15 year old son has just gotten into Rush over the past two years and had hopes that somehow he would still be able to see them live... He is devastated with this news.

• Like 2

Still so tough. I was so enjoying Wandering the Face of the Earth and on the weekend all I could do was stare at it. The one good thing coming out of this is the beautiful sense of community - I definitely do not feel alone. Thanks everyone. And the fantastic tributes and heartfelt emotions. This for the band that everyone hated except for their rabid fans until only recently. I saw one tribute that put Neil's death at the level of Hendrix and Cobain for significance. Funny in relation to some of the above posts, I have thought of my own mortality a lot in the last few days. Neil was only 9 years older than me. This happens all the time when someone I know dies. But I have had a different almost serene feeling about mortality that I can't quite put my finger on. Almost like it is ok. Weird. Well Neil is probably already jamming with Hendrix and Cobain and Moon. In a way it was cruel irony that cancer waited until Neil was done with touring and being a professional musician - I guess the Grim Reaper was a fan of his also.
  • Like 5

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kyle-smith-has-never-been-this-wrong/

And here's a response from one of his fellow staff writers, NOT a really good tribute. Neil's body is barely cold and this jerk is slagging on him.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/kyle-smith-has-never-been-this-wrong/

Cripes...to each his or her own, I suppose. But here is a case where someone at National Review writes something completely outside of its wheelhouse, and totally loses the point.

Do we want political writers to tell us what makes the best kind of drummer?

My ears already tell me all I need to know (and as a drummer myself, I and any other drummer already knows first-hand what kind of technical skill and prowess Neil had- from his pinkies to the ends of his toes).

And I think Neil would be the first to agree that lyrics he wrote 40+ years ago are not a patch on what he was able to express later on. But it fit the ideals of a 25 year-old truth seeker at the time.

• Like 1

https://www.national...een-this-wrong/

In this country crazed with shallow social media, there are a lot of people like this who'll say something controversial, even callously mean, just to get attention.

• Like 5

Cripes...to each his or her own, I suppose. But here is a case where someone at National Review writes something completely outside of its wheelhouse, and totally loses the point.

Do we want political writers to tell us what makes the best kind of drummer?

My ears already tell me all I need to know (and as a drummer myself, I and any other drummer already knows first-hand what kind of technical skill and prowess Neil had- from his pinkies to the ends of his toes).

And I think Neil would be the first to agree that lyrics he wrote 40+ years ago are not a patch on what he was able to express later on. But it fit the ideals of a 25 year-old truth seeker at the time.

^ This. Ask drummers what they thought of Neil, not clueless journalists. Neil won so many awards from his peers as a drummer that we all just lost count. I attended a drum clinic more than 20 years ago, and the person doing the clinic (Dom Famularo) had to remind us that, while Neil was THE drummer, there were actually other drummers around also, who we might want to listen to. That's how towering a figure Neil was in the world of drumming. Read this and then listen to Subdivisions again:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/neil-peart-rush-drumming-tribute-936430/

• Like 1

I resolve to embrace music more, to follow my muse more, to give more love to the world (and those I already love). To be a better citizen of the world. To recognize that the clock is ticking, and that the time to act is now.

What a gift to the world Neil Peart was, and IS!

I've been waiting for your post, when it felt right for you to write it. Very well said.

It's so wonderful to see what Neil and Rush mean to everyone here. It makes me feel so much less alone right now. I can't stop checking this thread...

• Like 3

I have never understood that particular criticism.

As a fan of the Damned, a song like 'Smash it Up' delivers an energy that cannot be found in prog.

But...as a fan of Rush I can say that a song like 'Natural Science' delivers an energy that cannot be found in punk.

Neither of those points is relevant to a critique of quality.

The answer to 'just because you can play 7/8, does it mean you should?' is always 'NO'.

By the same token, the answer is certainly not that you 'shouldn't'.

Why is the Master Template for quality set at 'Blitzkrieg Bop'?

For each measure that fails to align is a song docked a point?

One wonders if there is a creature more boring and predictable than the aged music critic. They hold up the notes to 'Peggy Sue' and compare it like an X-Ray to 'Thick as a Brick'.

They look upon this aberration in the picture and can only surmise that what they are seeing is broken- wrong.

They fail to recognize that perhaps they aren't looking at the same skeleton.

We don't diagnose a broken wing from the X-Ray of a snake.

We shouldn't rate a prog song from the template of rockabilly.

That's lazy criticism.

I don't like the music of Britney Spears.

I would rather listen to the Clash.

But it would be stupid for me to criticize Britney's music as 'bad' because it doesn't sound like the Clash.

The old music critic doesn't like prog?

Fine.

But the fault with the style, whatever it might be, is not that it talks about spaceships or plays in odd time signatures.

In fact, if you don't like prog, and the only insight your critique has to offer is that the music sounds like prog, then your words have so much less meaning than anything in an artist you're criticizing. It's inherently hypocritical.

"They play long songs about their opinions. They aren't Mozart."

That's pure hypocrisy as critics are writers but are not Steinbeck. But they throw their opinion all over the printed page anyway.

It's empty criticism.

There's room for good critical writing, but if you are criticizing an particular genre you should appreciate the point of the genre.

• Like 7

In this country crazed with shallow social media, there are a lot of people like this who'll say something controversial, even callously mean, just to get attention.

That review is what happens when you have a writer who HATES prog writing about a prog musician. My advice? Read it, consider the source, call the writer a douchebag for bashing on something he already hates (because he's too simple-minded to understand it), and move on.

• Like 4

I have never understood that particular criticism.

As a fan of the Damned, a song like 'Smash it Up' delivers an energy that cannot be found in prog.

But...as a fan of Rush I can say that a song like 'Natural Science' delivers an energy that cannot be found in punk.

Neither of those points is relevant to a critique of quality.

The answer to 'just because you can play 7/8, does it mean you should?' is always 'NO'.

By the same token, the answer is certainly not that you 'shouldn't'.

Why is the Master Template for quality set at 'Blitzkrieg Bop'?

For each measure that fails to align is a song docked a point?

One wonders if there is a creature more boring and predictable than the aged music critic. They hold up the notes to 'Peggy Sue' and compare it like an X-Ray to 'Thick as a Brick'.

They look upon this aberration in the picture and can only surmise that what they are seeing is broken- wrong.

They fail to recognize that perhaps they aren't looking at the same skeleton.

We don't diagnose a broken wing from the X-Ray of a snake.

We shouldn't rate a prog song from the template of rockabilly.

That's lazy criticism.

I don't like the music of Britney Spears.

I would rather listen to the Clash.

But it would be stupid for me to criticize Britney's music as 'bad' because it doesn't sound like the Clash.

The old music critic doesn't like prog?

Fine.

But the fault with the style, whatever it might be, is not that it talks about spaceships or plays in odd time signatures.

In fact, if you don't like prog, and the only insight your critique has to offer is that the music sounds like prog, then your words have so much less meaning than anything in an artist you're criticizing. It's inherently hypocritical.

"They play long songs about their opinions. They aren't Mozart."

That's pure hypocrisy as critics are writers but are not Steinbeck. But they throw their opinion all over the printed page anyway.

It's empty criticism.

There's room for good critical writing, but if you are criticizing an particular genre you should appreciate the point of the genre.

Very well said.

If I was Carrie and Olivia, I'd sue for slander.

I'd agree, but that article is so out to lunch that I can't even take it seriously. I just snorted and closed the tab when he said Lars Ulrich is better than Neil. It's not even worth getting angry over, the guy has no clue what he's talking about.

• Like 1

I confess that I have been lurking for quite a while now.

I finally decided to sign up to pay my respects to The Professor and join the community of several fans who are grieving just like I am.

I am a 30-something female Rush fan from the Indian subcontinent. These past few days have been extremely hard for me. Neil's death has hit me really hard. A part of me still thinks that this is all a horrible dream! In fact, I am still hoping to wake up and find that he is still alive!

I grew up listening to bands like Queen, The Who, Yes, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Cream, The Baker Gurvitz Army, and Jethro Tull thanks to my dad's music collection, but interestingly, he never introduced me to Rush. Then in March, 2014, on a seemingly mundane Sunday morning thanks to Youtube's "recommended for you" mechanism, I got to listen to "Bastille Day" and "2112" for the first time. My first album was "Caress of Steel". Within 6 months, I bought all the albums that Rush had ever made and the rest as they say is history. I also had a special moment with my dad on my 29th birthday, when we listened to "Hemispheres" together. I felt so proud when I introduced Rush to my dad, in the sense that I was glad that I could return the favour in my own small way, as he has been the one who has introduced me to a lot of great music over the years!

Fast forward to the horrible afternoon of the 11th of January, 2020. The time was around 12:06 PM. I had just taken a shower and I was drying my hair. I felt good and I was about to carry out the mundane task of doing my laundry. Then something made me check twitter. I wish that I never had. I would never have heard the horrible news that day. But I guess I wouldn't have been blissfully unaware for long, given that the horrid news appeared on my Facebook news feed. There to the right of the screen under what was trending was the eerie hashtag #ripneilpeart. It took me a couple of seconds to realize that the hashtag was referring to THE Neil Peart of Rush!!! Rush - the band I adored so much!!

It was as if the world had suddenly stopped turning. With trembling hands I clicked on the hashtag, only to find the absolutely devastating headline: "Rush's Neil Peart Dead At 67". I just couldn't believe it! I mean the guy had happily retired to spend some quality time with his lovely wife and little girl and now he's dead?! I felt that I was being punched in the gut when I heard that Neil had been fighting brain cancer for 3 and a half years and that he was in hospice care since mid-November!

This weekend was definitely an emotional mess for me. I actually cried at random and my mom thought that I had gone mad! I then through the tears, had to explain to her what had happened. But I didn't expect her to understand. I confess that I have been crying quietly on and off these past few days. I just cannot help myself!

What angers and saddens me is the fact that after having touched millions of lives with his craft, Neil had to endure and die from the most aggressive form of brain cancer known to humanity. It all seems so bloody unfair!!! I mean why did a man like Neil Peart who has done so much good in this complex world of ours have to suffer so much? Why?!

I know that I am neither a close friend nor a family member of Neil's, but given how much Rush means to me in terms of their musicianship, musical prowess and powerful and inspiring lyrics, I feel like I have lost a friend! I do admire Geddy's and Alex's loyalty to Neil to protect his painful secret to the very end. Those three demonstrate true friendship that runs so deep. I really feel for Geddy and Alex right now. I just cannot imagine the emotional pain that they are enduring now.

As a fan, I do wish that I could have been more prepared to face this. I may not be able to listen to Rush for a while (at least for a couple of months), especially songs like "Fly By Night", "Afterimage", "Bravado", "The Garden", "Time Stand Still", "Limelight", "Closer To The Heart", "Nobody's Hero", etc. It is just too painful and too soon.

Edited by preetha_1987
  • Like 18

The douche was actually responding to this remembrance by Kyle Smith.

https://www.national...er-and-randian/

I didn't see anything slanderous there. Just acutely biased opinions.

• Like 1

Wow.

I haven't been around much lately, but TRF was my first home to meet other Rush fans years ago. It's hard to process this whole thing. Neil was so important to all of us. His lyrics reached all of us who seemed to be on the outside looking in. Maybe "looking in" isn't the best word- I was fine being a geek, but just outside of cool. Neil wrote about things I cared about and was interested in. It's like losing a mentor and a therapist and a hero all at once.

Hell, I don't know what to say, but knew y'all would understand.

To Neil,

Thank you. You've inspired so many people and brought us so much joy. You set the benchmark for rock drumming and wrote lyrics that spoke to my heart like no other band. Thank you.

• Like 9

I didn't see anything slanderous there. Just acutely biased opinions.

I just saw some dork perpetuating the stupid GOAT argument.

"Oh, your guy can't be the Greatest. My guy is the Greatest, just because I say so...." :facepalm:

• Like 1

His passing is one of the hardest I’ve ever dealt with. Vapor trails has new meaning to me now.

I asked my wife over the weekend, who is s psychologist, why Im so bummed about Neils death. Ive never met him. He likely wouldnt want to have met me as he was very private. She said, its both part of your childhood thats now gone, and also pushes your own mortality into the forefront. Im in my late 40s and my kids are growing up so fast. And she is right. And it sucks.

I mentioned something similar to this on a post I made to my store's FB page (I manage a drum shop). I never understood why people would get so upset when a celebrity passed away until now. One of my customers commented on it and said "We don't cry when someone "famous" passes away because we felt like we knew them. We cry because they helped us get to know ourselves."

Both he and your wife are absolutely correct.

Edited by kazzman
  • Like 10