Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I read somewhere that Neil had been in hospice care since November of last year. Anybody confirm or deny this? Can't remember where I saw that.

That's a long time in hospice care. I can only speak to my experience with both my mom and grandfather dying from cancer. But in both cases, death was imminent. They knew within a few days they would be gone so hospice was the only option left. If Neil was in hospice care for that long, he is a fighter beyond what any words can describe.

I don't know how long Neil was in hospice, but I know that a person can be in hospice for many weeks with this type of cancer. Due to being in the brain, it's an especially cruel form of cancer.

My mom passed from the same type of cancer as Neil, and at the same age. I find the coincidence to be rather poignant.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that Neil had been in hospice care since November of last year. Anybody confirm or deny this? Can't remember where I saw that.

That's a long time in hospice care. I can only speak to my experience with both my mom and grandfather dying from cancer. But in both cases, death was imminent. They knew within a few days they would be gone so hospice was the only option left. If Neil was in hospice care for that long, he is a fighter beyond what any words can describe.

I don't know how long Neil was in hospice, but I know that a person can be in hospice for many weeks with this type of cancer. Due to being in the brain, it's an especially cruel form of cancer.

My mom passed from the same type of cancer as Neil, and at the same age. I find the coincidence to be rather poignant.

I have had a band member in past pass away from what I assume was same form of cancer. I know it was a brain tumor and I know the doctors only gave him a few months to live although he ended up surviving for about a year. He was a bass player and even did quite a few shows with us after the diagnoses. That is living right to the end I guess. RIP Jim....

• Like 1

I dreaded coming back to this forum after I heard of neil's death.

Neil's illness, IMHO, fully explains Neil's retirement. When I saw 'Time Stands Still' I didn't believe neil's excuse, that his feet hurt and he's tired as to why he was retiring. THat's why you take a break, not hang it up.

And geddy had said for a few years after R40 that rush wasn't done with music just touring. hen a few years ago he admitted Rush was over. That mut have been when thy learned.

Chronic tendonitis can't be easy to cope with when you're drumming like Neil was in his 60s.

I totally believe that as a reason for his retirement. There may have been some early affects of the undiagnosed cancer impacting him on R40 but we will likely never know that.

Can you imagine though if Neil had bowed to pressure and the tour was extended into 2016, then shows had to be cancelled following his diagnosis? What an awful way to end it all that would have been.

• Like 2

I dreaded coming back to this forum after I heard of neil's death.

Neil's illness, IMHO, fully explains Neil's retirement. When I saw 'Time Stands Still' I didn't believe neil's excuse, that his feet hurt and he's tired as to why he was retiring. THat's why you take a break, not hang it up.

And geddy had said for a few years after R40 that rush wasn't done with music just touring. hen a few years ago he admitted Rush was over. That mut have been when thy learned.

Chronic tendonitis can't be easy to cope with when you're drumming like Neil was in his 60s.

I totally believe that as a reason for his retirement. There may have been some early affects of the undiagnosed cancer impacting him on R40 but we will likely never know that.

Can you imagine though if Neil had bowed to pressure and the tour was extended into 2016, then shows had to be cancelled following his diagnosis? What an awful way to end it all that would have been.

All of this...

I read this as well. As time passes we’ll surely learn more. I suppose people will share their stories more and more when it’s not so fresh and painful as it is right now, refraining for now out of respect to the family.

I found out in November 2019 though a gentleman my dad and I met who had the same nanny as Neil, Carrie and Olivia. I didn't believe it. I wanted to forget it and never told a soul.......

I think that says a lot about your status as a Rush stan and you as a human to respect Neil's wishes and not tell anybody here.

• Like 7

I read this as well. As time passes we’ll surely learn more. I suppose people will share their stories more and more when it’s not so fresh and painful as it is right now, refraining for now out of respect to the family.

I found out in November 2019 though a gentleman my dad and I met who had the same nanny as Neil, Carrie and Olivia. I didn't believe it. I wanted to forget it and never told a soul.......

I think that says a lot about your status as a Rush stan and you as a human to respect Neil's wishes and not tell anybody here.

I am honored by your post and a bit teary eyed. Thank you.

RUSH FOREVER

Red3angel,

I am sorry you never saw them live, but are never too late to the Rush Party my friend.

Their music, pictures and live footage will live on forever.

RUSH ON!

Agree 100%!

:rush:

• Like 2

I have had a band member in past pass away from what I assume was same form of cancer. I know it was a brain tumor and I know the doctors only gave him a few months to live although he ended up surviving for about a year. He was a bass player and even did quite a few shows with us after the diagnoses. That is living right to the end I guess. RIP Jim....

I’m so sorry for the loss of your band mate and friend.

• Like 4

I find this to be a fitting tribute, and a reflection of how Neil and Rush inspired others:

A friend of mine asked me for music recommendations a couple weeks ago. I sent her youtube links to Big Wreck, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson and Peter Gabriel.

On Friday morning (before the horrible news broke) I sent her "Between The Wheels" just to see what she thought of it. The next day she asked me if I knew what happened before I sent the song. I did not. She had heard of Rush but never really listened to them. She could tell I was upset and that led to more conversation about Rush and Neil in particular. "You mean he wrote the lyrics???" Yes!

She is currently a teacher but until recently she was a professional dancer. I sent her "Losing It" and 3 other Rush songs. I also included the link to the drum solo in Frankfurt someone posted on this thread.

Her Response: "I've only listened to Losing It so far, but I'm crying. I'm not sure if it's the home hitting lyrics or the beyond exquisite music that put me in this place, but these words certainly started them flowing. f**k I miss my career.

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you, the blind who once could see

The bell tolls for thee

Drums...oh my god...my language...you're speaking....He's speaking! I think I just fell in love with Neil Peart. I mean it. I'm in a daze right now

A beautiful god just left us"

She gets it.

• Like 4

I managed to see them 35 times starting in 83. So many good high school memories of hopping the concert bus, heading off to Detroit to see them. I wanted to see them 1 more time 2015 but just couldn't make it with a new job. I'm glad everyone who went to the last tour got that one final chance.
  • Like 1

A friend of mine asked me for music recommendations a couple weeks ago. I sent her youtube links to Big Wreck, Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson and Peter Gabriel.

On Friday morning (before the horrible news broke) I sent her "Between The Wheels" just to see what she thought of it. The next day she asked me if I knew what happened before I sent the song. I did not. She had heard of Rush but never really listened to them. She could tell I was upset and that led to more conversation about Rush and Neil in particular. "You mean he wrote the lyrics???" Yes!

She is currently a teacher but until recently she was a professional dancer. I sent her "Losing It" and 3 other Rush songs. I also included the link to the drum solo in Frankfurt someone posted on this thread.

Her Response: "I've only listened to Losing It so far, but I'm crying. I'm not sure if it's the home hitting lyrics or the beyond exquisite music that put me in this place, but these words certainly started them flowing. f**k I miss my career.

The bell tolls for thee

Drums...oh my god...my language...you're speaking....He's speaking! I think I just fell in love with Neil Peart. I mean it. I'm in a daze right now

She gets it.

That is fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

The bell tolls for thee

She gets it.

"Losing It" is as brilliant as a song can be.

• Like 4

That you know how to keep a confidence says volumes about the type of person you are, Earl.

• Like 4

I’m still having problems listening to their music. I feel so fortunate having the opportunity to talk to Neil during Sam’s wish. I was surprised by his personality. He treated Sam so nice. I remember watching him walk up to her after the sound check, hugging her, giving her the sticks he used during the sound check, and talking to her about some of her favorite lyrics. Nothing like I imagined him to be. One of the very many Rush memories that include Sam. Combining those with all the others before she was even thought about, makes coping all that much harder.

:hug2:

Hey everyone. It's been many years since I was last active on here, but felt like I needed to come back and say a few things in the wake of Neil's passing. I spent a lot of time during my teenage years on this very forum while I was in the high point of my Rush obsession. But as I grew, life pulled me away and I became less and less active on the forums. But anywho, I wrote this following blog entry on my store's Facebook page and wanted to share them with my fellow Rush fans.

"What else can I say that hasn’t been said already? Neil Peart was the reason why I’m a drummer today. The impact that he had on my playing as a teenager still resonates with me to this day. Growing up, there wasn’t a day where I wouldn’t listen to Rush. As the years went by, we drifted apart (see what I did there?). My musical tastes and influences changed and grew. I sparsely would listen to Rush anymore, but still made a point to pay attention and listen to Neil’s drumming every time I did.

I still remember the first time that I had knowingly listened to Rush. I was sitting in home room during my sophomore year of high school. This would have been around 2002/03. At that point in my life Wuv from POD was my drumming hero. But one of my classmates turned to me and said to me “you play drums, right? Well, have you ever heard of Rush?” Up until then my 15 year old self hadn’t. He handed me his Walkman and in it was a copy of Retrospective I. I put on the headphones, pressed play and “Spirit of Radio” starts blasting in my ears. I’m blown away. I couldn’t turn it off. After that came “Freewill” and hearing the drum and bass groove underneath Alex’s guitar solo was unlike anything I had ever heard in my young life. I had to learn everything there was about this band. I burned a copy of my friend’s CD and took it to my next drum lesson. For weeks my teacher and I would break down a new Rush song. I would take weekly trips to FYE in the local mall and buy a new Rush CD every week until I had all of them in my collection. I would digest everything I heard. From the intro groove in “Animate” to the drum outro of “Lock and Key” and the double bass fury of “One Little Victory” there wasn’t a song that Rush composed that didn’t have some kind of impact on me (well… maybe everything except for Test for Echo, save for a couple of songs). Shortly thereafter, Rush released the concert DVD Rush in Rio. I would spend countless hours digesting the drum solo “O Baterista.” Unlike many rock drummers, Neil wasn’t just playing blazing fast double bass and doing mindless drum fills and calling it a drum solo. He was playing a musical composition. To this day, there are still very few drum solos that really get my attention. His were always some of the ones that did.

When Rush announced the R30 tour in 2004, I was excited beyond belief. It was the first time that I would get to see my heroes in person. Since then, I never missed a tour. Even when Rush announced the dates for the R40 tour in 2015, I knew I had to see them and road tripped to Columbus with friends. I didn’t listen to Rush as much as I once had during that time in my life, but I would have been doing myself a disservice if I didn’t make the trip to see them. Looking back, I’ll forever be grateful that I did. Throughout the concert, as I’m watching it, I knew in the back of my mind that it would be the last time that I would ever see Rush play again. Even during the drum solo(s) that night, I kept thinking to myself “this is the last time I’ll ever get to see Neil Peart performing.” Little did I know…

I’m usually not one to get emotional or tear up when a celebrity passes away. Personally, I never understood why people would over somebody whom they’ve never met in person and had only seen through a camera eye. Until yesterday. I lost it. I turned on the radio after work on my drive to my rehearsal space to see if they were doing any kind of tribute to Neil. Sure enough, “2112” comes on and there I am balling my eyes out while driving down Route 28 during rush hour traffic. It was like a part of me was gone.

Rest In Peace Neil. Even though we never met, thank you for everything that you brought not only to the instrument and music, but to my life. You were the catalyst that began my discovery of so many of the amazing drummers and bands that I love. Without the influence you had on my drumming as a teenager, I can honestly say that I probably wouldn’t be where I’m at today."

Edited by kazzman
  • Like 8

This is my first post in TRF in I don’t know how long. And it sucks under these circumstances. I love all you guys. It feels like I lost a family member. So sad. Just watched BTLS for the first time in a while tonight. Family. That’s what we are.

I don't know you and you don't know me, but you are right - Family - that's what we are.

• Like 4

The bell tolls for thee

She gets it.

"Losing It" is as brilliant as a song can be.

Besides Neil snapping a pic of us in LA and then running up to Alex and Geddy. Seeing "Losing It' live was always a dream of mine since "Signals" came out.

Incredible song.

Gets me every time. Now more than ever...................................................

• Like 3

That you know how to keep a confidence says volumes about the type of person you are, Earl.

Thank you so much Lorraine. Coming from you makes my heart race and puts a big smile on my face. You are so sweet!

• Like 1

This is my first post in TRF in I don’t know how long. And it sucks under these circumstances. I love all you guys. It feels like I lost a family member. So sad. Just watched BTLS for the first time in a while tonight. Family. That’s what we are.

I don't know you and you don't know me, but you are right - Family - that's what we are.

The Rush Family is WORLDWIDE. We are a very lucky family. We will be a Rush Family Forever. I already have written in my will that the "Starman" logo will be put at the center top of my tombstone.

• Like 3

The Rush Family is WORLDWIDE. We are a very lucky family. We will be a Rush Family Forever. I already have written in my will that the "Starman" logo will be put at the center top of my tombstone.

I've said on here many times in the past, there are no fans like Rush fans. Rush fans are the most genuine and unique human beings I have ever encountered.

It's a privilege to be here with all of you. If that sounds artificial, I'm sorry, because I sincerely mean it.

• Like 4