Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

I’m still having problems listening to their music. I feel so fortunate having the opportunity to talk to Neil during Sam’s wish. I was surprised by his personality. He treated Sam so nice. I remember watching him walk up to her after the sound check, hugging her, giving her the sticks he used during the sound check, and talking to her about some of her favorite lyrics. Nothing like I imagined him to be. One of the very many Rush memories that include Sam. Combining those with all the others before she was even thought about, makes coping all that much harder.
  • Like 17

I’m still having problems listening to their music. I feel so fortunate having the opportunity to talk to Neil during Sam’s wish. I was surprised by his personality. He treated Sam so nice. I remember watching him walk up to her after the sound check, hugging her, giving her the sticks he used during the sound check, and talking to her about some of her favorite lyrics. Nothing like I imagined him to be. One of the very many Rush memories that include Sam. Combining those with all the others before she was even thought about, makes coping all that much harder.

That’s eloquent, JD...how incredible to be able to have that experience with your daughter, AND Rush.

• Like 2

From the VT days.

http://www.2112.net/powerwindows/wallpaper/VTtourgroup.jpg

Edited by grep
  • Like 11

I have not posted to the Rush forum in something like ten years. Now it is my moral duty to do so, so that I may pay my respects.

I always wondered how I would feel when I heard, decades into the future, that one of the members of Rush had passed away. Now I know, far sooner than I ever wanted to know, and it feels awful. I am surprised to find myself grieving over the loss of a man I never met.

Yet, of course, we have all met the band members indirectly, through their peerless music, and I am heartened to see that so many others across the world are moved like I am by Neil's passing. Nor is his loss felt in just the English-speaking world. A very good Turkish friend of mine in Istanbul sent me a FaceBook post earlier from a Turkish Rush fan. Here is some of what he said in Turkish:

...Peart'in yazdığı sözlerin beni kaç defa hayata bağladığını...

... Ama şunu biliyorum ki Rush'ın müziği ve sözleri olmasaydı bugün bu satırları yazdığım durumda olamazdım. Ve yine biliyorum ki, dünyada aynen benim gibi hisseden ve bugün derinden üzüntü duyan belki yüzbinlerce kişi var.

Toprağın bol olsun, sevgili Neil. Kalpten teşekkürler.. Çok güzellik kattın bu dünyaya.

And here, courtesy of Google's translator, is the English:

...How many times Peart's words have brought me to life...

...I know that without Rush's music and lyrics I wouldn't be able to write these lines today. And I also know that there are maybe hundreds of thousands of people in the world who feel just like me and are deeply sad today.

Good land, dear Neil. Thank you from the heart .. You have added a lot of beauty to this world.

My sentiments precisely, although I am inclined to think that it is millions rather than hundreds of thousands.

Geddy Lee says in the interview on the Rush in Rio DVD: ''We are musicians; it's not that noble a thing to do..." but I disagree deeply with that statement. If you are a member of a band like Rush, it is a noble thing to do - a very noble thing. Peart's incredible drumming, and his sensational lyrics - like no others you will ever hear - reached out from far across the world and moved small and insignificant people like me profoundly and permanently; they made such a huge, lasting difference to my little life.

And so, when I think of the contributions that people make in this world, I see individuals at one end of the spectrum like the terrorists who flew the planes into the World Trade Centre in 2001 - I would only urinate on pathetic little men like that, if I could be bothered, as I hold them and their 'contribution' in such deep contempt. Then I see at the other end of the spectrum the giants of Human civilisation - people like Lee, Lifeson and Peart - and I treasure fondly the priceless contribution such titans make.

Such a sad old time this is.

Thank you Neil for your contribution, thank you for your undemanding contact. :rose:

Richard

• Like 10

I've listened to Rush since the early 90's. I don't have any stories of how they saved/helped me through "insert event here" like a lot of fans on here. Im not a person who sits and analyses lyrics, I just listen and enjoy.

Still, I could feel myself welling up when reading some of the posts on here. The amount of love that fans have for him is immense and he will be missed even though the chance of any new music was minimal even if he hadn't passed.

I was fortunate to see Rush 3 times over the years although I only remember 2 shows and 1 song from the other.

I have read/listened to some of his books - Travelling Music, Ghost Rider, Far and Away, Far and Near and enjoyed them all. I do have The Masked Rider in the signed box set, but those books have never been opened.

Love and Hugs to all those that are feeling this more than me, and an extra hug for Lorraine because of her recent issues.

• Like 1

I have read Neil's Roadshow book probably 30 times at least.

I just received 3 part Neil Peart travel book series as a Christmas present. Reading these now takes on a whole new meaning being that there will be no more travels. I will cherish every word.

• Like 4

I still can’t get my head around this. Not ashamed to admit to bouts with streaming tears this weekend.

Never knew the man, true, but did we have to? And really, didn’t we know him some?

For a guy who ironically had this reputation for being mysterious and aloof and crazy private, he let us know a lot about him in his books and writings and lyrics. In many ways I feel we had a bigger insight into Neil than any of them, as much as he shied away from adulation and attention.

Yes.

• Like 1

A Lament for Neil Peart

Our hero lies in the Rock and Roll state of our hearts.

How the mighty have fallen!

Mountains of Santa Monica

may you have neither dew nor rain,

may no showers fall on your terraced fields

For there the drums of the mighty were silenced.

The snare drum of Neil Peart no longer played.

The drums and percussion of Neil Peart did not return unsatisfied.

in life he was loved and admired,

and in death he is greatly missed.

He was swifter than many drummers,

he was strong on motorcycle adventure.

Weep for Neil

who clothed you in song and melody,

who adorned your life with RUSH music.

Neil lies in state of our hearts.

I grieve for you, Neil my brother;

you were very dear to me.

your life for me was wonderful,

more wonderful than romance.

The drum solo has ended!

(A paraphrase of 2 Samuel Chapter 1, verses 17-27 Holy Bible)

• Like 2

Looking back...With three big known rock stars dying of cancer in the past four years, it's almost kinda interesting to see how they took their diagnoses.

David Bowie decided to release his final passion project

Gordon Downie decided to bring his band on a final massive tour

Neil Peart decided to spend time close with his family and loved ones

• Like 2

Looking back...With three big known rock stars dying of cancer in the past four years, it's almost kinda interesting to see how they took their diagnoses.

Except that Neil had already been retired for about a year (give or take) before being diagnosed.

Except that Neil had already been retired for about a year (give or take) before being diagnosed.

And he left it all on the stage with R40.

• Like 3

I dreaded coming back to this forum after I heard of neil's death.

Neil's illness, IMHO, fully explains Neil's retirement. When I saw 'Time Stands Still' I didn't believe neil's excuse, that his feet hurt and he's tired as to why he was retiring. THat's why you take a break, not hang it up.

And geddy had said for a few years after R40 that rush wasn't done with music just touring. hen a few years ago he admitted Rush was over. That mut have been when thy learned.

I have read Neil's Roadshow book probably 30 times at least.

I just received 3 part Neil Peart travel book series as a Christmas present. Reading these now takes on a whole new meaning being that there will be no more travels. I will cherish every word.

I find it incredible that I have never read any of Neil’s books...no time like the present to start, I guess.

And just like you said...cherish every word.

• Like 2

I read somewhere that Neil had been in hospice care since November of last year. Anybody confirm or deny this? Can't remember where I saw that.

That's a long time in hospice care. I can only speak to my experience with both my mom and grandfather dying from cancer. But in both cases, death was imminent. They knew within a few days they would be gone so hospice was the only option left. If Neil was in hospice care for that long, he is a fighter beyond what any words can describe.

Edited by J2112YYZ

I read somewhere that Neil had been in hospice care since November of last year. Anybody confirm or deny this? Can't remember where I saw that.

I read this as well. As time passes we’ll surely learn more. I suppose people will share their stories more and more when it’s not so fresh and painful as it is right now, refraining for now out of respect to the family.

• Like 1

I read this as well. As time passes we’ll surely learn more. I suppose people will share their stories more and more when it’s not so fresh and painful as it is right now, refraining for now out of respect to the family.

I found out in November 2019 though a gentleman my dad and I met who had the same nanny as Neil, Carrie and Olivia. I didn't believe it. I wanted to forget it and never told a soul.......

• Like 5