Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

At some point I guess I asked myself “why am I doing all this?” I’m never going to meet him, I’m never going to play as good as him, I’m never going to have dinner at that hunting lodge (me, Neil, Alex, Geddy—ya know, just the FOUR of us)... I’m never going to get any type of ‘atta boy’ or acknowledgment from my hero. But, I still secretly want it and hope to get it somehow.

Being inspired by "The Greats" is perfectly fine. Neil Peart, Arthur C. Clarke, Carl Sagan, Albert Einstein, Jacques Cousteau, Neil Armstrong, .... we all make role models out of them.

There's a huge difference between emulating someone and being someone.

We can never be Neil Peart, so we should never try. That's just a fantasy that will never be realized.

This above all: to thine own self be true. :haz:

Haven’t logged into this site in damn near 4 years - as a teen finishing up high school, heading into my adult life, and developing more and more music interests, my obsession with Rush long since passed me by.

Even still, my respect for the band’s place in my life stands very strongly and that’s always been the case in part due to the drummer. Neil holds a status in modern music history that can’t be understated. I always knew I wanted to be a drummer at some point or another, but it was only after having listened to Tom Sawyer and several other seminal Rush tunes that I knew I wanted to buy my first kit. So many others have a very similar story, and it’s all attributable to Neil’s skill and influence.

Here’s to a man that, in my view, lived a great, full, rich life as not only a musician, but also a father, writer, thinker, and friend. I hope Geddy, Alex, and Neil’s family find comfort and solace going forward.

• Like 2

You Know yesterday was a surreal day way surreal we as a community lost a big piece of something we all hold dear.

and yes my initial gut reaction was very sad. it was like this is a dream.....i didn't just read about this happening. i mean it's going too. but today WASN'T supposed to be THE DAY, ya know? I was/am deeply sad. and to those that said i may never play Rush for a while i understand.

but the first thing i did was hit the Rush sauce.....the very first thing. cause my man needs to honored. Which is why i didn't just jump on here yesterday. i had a private ceremony of sorts. i watched Exit Stage Left, Snakes and Arrows Live and R40. it was a late night.

and as i'm watching. the sadness never left but was dulled by a sense of pride. i mean......look wwhat this man accomplished in his lifetime. 19 studio albums........19!!!!! bands are lucky if they get 2, lol. AND every one is someone's favorite. and People LOVE this band and this man so much that we yell at each other passionately over why our favs are the only favs, lol now Neil most likely would have hated that but damn that's what happens when you such a king at your craft.

me personally i have a lot to thank Neil For. His music and playing have opened my ears to new music and styles cause he's influenced so many. he's gotten me through times when i wanted to give up. he gave me two great live show's ( i know two is not a lot to some of y'all but i saw him that's what matters)

And me most importantly some time in may in 2012. 27 year old Mick starting lurking here and the following month i plucked up enough courage to join. and i've made friends whom most i've never met one on one. but i consider great friends to this day.

So.......thank you Neil for helping open my world up just a bit. and for giving me your music. and some of my favorite music at that.

and Geddy and Alex. i can;t fathom have you guys feel. but a huge thanks to you too. you two are the other just as important puzzle pieces.

RIP Neil. in my thoughts and blasting out of my speakers forever.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 14

For everyone dealing with the grief; I've in touch with so many of my friends - musicians, fans, and people that know what Neil meant, reading and interacting here, is all so very helpful. Thanks to all. The beat will go on.

Somebody was asking if Geddy and Alex knew; I can't place my finger on it at the moment, but someone asked Geddy at one of his recent book signings if he had seen Neil recently. He said he was just in California to visit him. This must have been very recent (I think the book signing was in December??) At the time, I thought about what that visit was like - sadly, it must have been nothing like I could imagine. I'd bet we will hear more from Geddy and Alex in this regard, but it seems as though they were able to get together one last time.

• Like 5

I haven’t been to this site in over 6 years and saw this yesterday and just couldn’t believe it.This really sucks and now he’s gone Edited by BasqueNYC

The trick when anybody you love dies is to feel happiness at the memory rather than pain for the loss. Getting to that point isn't easy. It requires intention and time. You can't get around it, you have to go through it. Grieving is an important part of the process. Get drunk. Cry. Scream at the sky. It takes as long as it takes. Then be grateful and happy that you got to share the planet with them. That's the wisdom I've gathered in my time here. Hope it helps.
  • Like 4

First thank you to everyone for posting here. It has been very therapeutic to me and probably all of you. I didn’t take the time to “like” all your posts but I love all of them. I have broken down in tears several times. It is amazing all of the people coming back here that have been away so long. A communal gathering for sure. I am devastated. Like Earl and others, Neil has been one of my true heroes and inspirations. I always put him in my top 5 drummers, getting too technical in best drummer debates. Who am I kidding? Neil was the greatest drummer ever. I am missing him greatly.
  • Like 4

Heavens yes, Ged and Al knew. Just as Queen were told by Freddy. No way were they disrespecting Neil in that manner. It would be "hew to the line of right, and let the chips fall where they may". And so much the better for us all, imho.
  • Like 3

Feeling pretty numb myself, for lots of reasons. Peart was a total inspiration to me as a young wannabe musician back in the early 80s. I don't remember spending nearly as much time reading the lyrics of any other band's songs. Also, I watched my wife slowly fade away over 10 months because of f***ing glioblastoma. Probably feeling numb because feeling anything else would be too much. In a strange way, maybe that's what Neil chose to do with respect to all the adulation - allowing himself to feel all that worship would have been too heavy. It's awesome how he focused his energy into music and insights - whether people find them to be deep insights or not is one thing, but you can't deny he was a deeply thoughtful and sincere dude.
  • Like 4

Heavens yes, Ged and Al knew. Just as Queen were told by Freddy. No way were they disrespecting Neil in that manner. It would be "hew to the line of right, and let the chips fall where they may". And so much the better for us all, imho.

Unless Neil cut off complete contact with Geddy and Alex, the both of them absolutely did know. This would have also meant that Neil's wife and daughter would have not been in communication with either of them as well. Drummer Mike Portnoy mentioned on social media yesterday after the news broke that he was aware of Neil's health issues. If he knew there is no way Geddy and Alex didn't.

• Like 2

Still Shocked and Stunned . Sad... That man was legendary. Master class . My hero and biggest inspiration for the last 45 years.. Huge part of my life . RIP Always in our hearts Neil. Thank you for a lifetime of memories and music which will never be forgotten . You were and will forever be the greatest..
  • Like 1

Unless Neil cut off complete contact with Geddy and Alex, the both of them absolutely did know. This would have also meant that Neil's wife and daughter would have not been in communication with either of them as well. Drummer Mike Portnoy mentioned on social media yesterday after the news broke that he was aware of Neil's health issues. If he knew there is no way Geddy and Alex didn't.

When I first heard this news only a few sites were reporting, one being a music site that stated there had been rumors in the music sphere for some time that Neil had cancer. They remained quiet rumors and no one really spilled the beans to the public, which means something in today's world.

I recall a post, here I believe, a while back in which someone said they heard something about Neil that they really hoped was not true. I am assuming this was it. Then there was a photo in which he looked quite thin, and no new writings from him. My husband and I surmised he probably was ill, so this isn't a huge shock to us. But props to all those people who knew something, and kept it quiet for so long, as privacy was so important to him.

• Like 4

It would be like not telling your brothers and sisters. No way would he keep it from Geddy & Alex.

• Like 2

Hope he crafted a lengthy goodbye, otherwise there will be no closure(at least with me)

You might be setting yourself up for disappointment.

I would argue he provided all of us closure on Saturday, August 1, 2015. The rest of his time was private.

While I do not think all of his lyrics were brilliant and he was far from the best drummer ever, he WAS a major contributing force to a band whose music had a gargantuan effect on me as a person and a musician. RIP Neil. Thank you for creating music that we can enjoy for as long as we get to be here.

Let us all be grateful that he made music for us to find pleasure in.

• Like 4

I'm so saddened to hear of Neil's passing. Deepest condolences to all who admired and loved him, from near or afar. I just joined this forum to briefly share my own thoughts and feelings, and offer some reflections.

I first became a Rush fan in the late 1970s, and it wasn't long before I became an extreme fan. Growing up as rocker who listened to Kiss, Zeppelin, etc., the sophistication of Rush's music was something new to me; it showed me the possibilities of what music could be, and opened my mind to other forms of music such as jazz, fusion, and classical. I wasn't much of a reader in my teen years, so Rush, through Neil's lyrics, was my first real exposure to "literature" and the themes which the lyrics addressed. Neil was a genuine intellectual - almost to an intimidating degree for a teenager - and he paved the way for me to view it as "cool" to be a thinking person.

The band was surely a key inspiration for me to take up guitar, then bass, and then eventually drums also. Through becoming a musician myself, I increasingly came to appreciate the virtuosity of Neil, Geddy, and Alex - how much luck is needed for a band to form where every musician is recognized by their peers as being among the best in the world at their instrument! And Neil in particular redefined what's possible with his instrument. Of course his chops were seemingly limitless, but more importantly he was a composer of the drums, and what he composed always fit the music perfectly. His drumming not only provided a rhythmic foundation for the music, but had a musicality which put the drums simultaneously in both the background and foreground of the music. When I listen to Rush music from decades ago, I'm still in awe of what Neil did, and I believe it remains unsurpassed today. Neil was one of those rare musicians who everyone admires, yet no one is able to emulate.

On top of all is this, Neil was such a fine human being, and a role model for us in so many ways. I've watched his drumming videos, and the experience is like being mentored, not just about drumming but also about living life, by a kindly and very wise yet humble father figure. Yet, Neil didn't want us to emulate or adulate him, he always advised us to live our own lives to the fullest, and be our own heroes, as he did, even in the face of tragic losses.

It would not be an overstatement to say that Rush has had a seminal and permanent influence in shaping my identity.

The era of Rush is now ended and we've lost a towering figure among people. I intend to honor and appreciate Neil, as best I can, by going back through the body of work he and his bandmates created, and drawing as much enjoyment, inspiration, and wisdom from it as I can.

Edited by 9/4
  • Like 10

I don't know how to explain the way I feel to anyone in the offline world, every time I try it feels ridiculous. Thankfully I have one close friend here with me right now, and last night she gave me a hug and listened while I sat here and tried to explain through tears why this man meant so much to me. I'll be forever grateful to her for that.

I didn't sleep well; I woke up several times in the night, each time with the words "Neil's dead" running through my head. This morning I sat in my room for half an hour and watched the news, on the one live TV channel we get up here at the top of the world, reading the line in the chyron every time it scrolled past. I saw it so many times I have it memorized: "Neil Peart, drummer for Canadian rock band Rush, has died at 67, according to a spokesperson for Geddy Lee". I hate those words, but I know they're real, and nothing can change them.

If there's one thing I take comfort in, it's the fact that this was kept secret for so long. That, more than anything else, shows the immense respect that his friends and colleagues had for him. Neil is not a minor figure in the world of rock music, and while he's not a tabloid-level celebrity, he's about as big a star as you get in the circles he moved in. In an age where news spreads at the speed of light to every corner of the world, where rumours run rampant and privacy is slowly disappearing, his friends did everything they could to give him the dignity of facing death on his terms, in the manner of his choosing. That speaks volumes.

My respect for Geddy and Alex has only grown in the last 24 hours, as I've realized what an enormous burden they've carried for the last few years. I would never have the strength to go out and face fans and the media, to put on a smile and give polite but vague answers to endless questions about my dying friend. I'm glad they don't have to hide this terrible secret from everyone anymore, but at the same time, I'm sorry that they have to go through what comes next, now that it's public knowledge.

All three of them have exemplified the courage, integrity, and dignity that I've always associated with Rush. I've never been so proud to call myself a fan.

• Like 15

It would be like not telling your brothers and sisters. No way would he keep it from Geddy & Alex.

They knew. A friend of mine is a roadie for a pretty popular classic rock band and a lot of people in that circle knew. He told me on the down low a few months ago. It was a gut punch even back then but I had hoped that Neil could somehow pull through.

Geddy mentioned him and Al meeting with Neil several times over the last couple years. Said they would spend three or four days with him in LA. So they certainly knew what was going on, although all Geddy would say was that Neil was not drumming anymore.

Rush’s final concert was August 2015. The statement released by the band said Neil had battled cancer for 3.5 years. If that’s the case, Neil would have been diagnosed sometime around the summer of 2016. So, to those wondering if Neil retired because of this illness, the timeline doesn’t add up.

The 3.5 years would be from the time of diagnosis. But at the time of diagnosis, the tumor is usually sizable, so Neil may have had symptoms for months or longer before the diagnosis was made.

• Like 1

After a nights sleep and time to process all this, not much has changed. Still so very sad. The one part of this I can’t shake is how cruel life can be. Neil deserved to live the life he wanted in retirement. He deserved to be healthy and get that 2nd chance at being a father on his terms. When my mind goes there, I lose it. The man endured so much pain and tragedy. WTF?! Edited by LeaveMyThingAlone
  • Like 4

Rush’s final concert was August 2015. The statement released by the band said Neil had battled cancer for 3.5 years. If that’s the case, Neil would have been diagnosed sometime around the summer of 2016. So, to those wondering if Neil retired because of this illness, the timeline doesn’t add up.

The 3.5 years would be from the time of diagnosis. But at the time of diagnosis, the tumor is usually sizable, so Neil may have had symptoms for months or longer before the diagnosis was made.

good point. Hadn’t considered that.

There must be something wrong with me because I'm really not that bothered....obviously I wish it hadn't happened to him, but it's not as if I was acquainted with him personally...the band was done anyway and the music will always be out there.

There is nothing inherently ‘wrong’ with the way any of us feels about it. We all are who we are, individually.

:cheers:

Why are we here?

• Like 1

Yesterday, when I first saw, heard, and read about this, I didn't know what to say as just like a lot of people, and the public hadn't known Neil, did have brain cancer because there wasn't anything announced before about him having it, until yesterday, the news of him passing away from it on Tues. Jan. 7. I'm surprised, sad, and unexpected of it. What his daughter Olivia, wife Carrie, Geddy, Alex, and the rest of his family, close friends, and huge fans must be feeling, and going through, right now. My condolences, heart, prayers, and thoughts go to each, and every single one of them. He was a really talented musician, and human being. He's being greatly, and sorely missed. R.I.P., Neil. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1