Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

It's such a cloudy day

Seems we'll never see the sun

I feel the day is all uncertainty

Burning in the moment, trapped by the desperation

Between how it is and how it ought to be.

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/images/moving_pictures_files/np_mp_portrait.jpg

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Goddammit don't make me cry anymore tonight...

• Like 3

must have been really difficult for Geddy and Al to give the typical unemotional reaction to 'hey, any chance of Rush getting back together?', when they knew the real reason made that impossible.

I can bet that there were many times Ged broke down in tears in hotel rooms on his book signing tour :(

I thought he looked a little bit worn out and sad the last few pictures I had seen of him on the book tour. Had to be a strain to keep that to yourself and hear fans say I wish you guys were still playing :sigh:

Leonardo da Vinci died at 67. Enough said. R.I.P. :rose:

What band did he play in?

Sorry can't turn off stupid sense of humor.

From what I've heard, he wasn't very musical, but he must've seen many beautiful gardens. And "The Garden" seems like the right send-off for our drum master.
  • Like 2

"If it is nothingness that awaits us, let us make an injustice of it; let us fight against destiny, even though without hope of victory."

-Miguel de Unamuno

I always loved this quote and I think NEP would too.

Dude you are bringing the good quotes - keep it up.

• Like 1

From Twitter:

"I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”

:LOL:

• Like 10

From what I've heard, he wasn't very musical, but he must've seen many beautiful gardens. And "The Garden" seems like the right send-off for our drum master.

Reading the lyrics now - wow.

Dio died at 67 too.

People talk about average life expectancy like everyone can plan on living well into their 70s. But dying at 67 is not unusual. My oldest brother died unexpectedly at 65 about 9 years ago. Modern medicine certainly helps, but the human body is a frail instrument.
  • Like 2

Dio died at 67 too.

People talk about average life expectancy like everyone can plan on living well into their 70s. But dying at 67 is not unusual. My oldest brother died unexpectedly at 65 about 9 years ago. Modern medicine certainly helps, but the human body is a frail instrument.

Boomers aren't doing well aging. Must've been our lifestyles.

• Like 1

Been a fan since I saw them on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert back in late 1974 on TV...been to 20 RUSH concerts, the last one Snakes and Arrows at the Pine Knob concert outdoor venue... what a wonderful time...almost 50 years of LOVE for the Best Band EVER! R.I.P. NEIL!

RpClKD3.gif

• Like 4

The irony is Neil would be VERY uncomfortable with our grief HAHAHAAA. Good ol Neil.

I can’t help imagining the following scenario:

Scene: Heaven, The Afterlife, Elysian Fields, Valhalla

Jesus: Oh My ME!!! Look over there, look who just walked in through the gates, it’s NEIL FREAKING PEART!!!

Buddha (fanning self): I can’t believe it!

Zeus: Think he’ll sign an autograph?

Odin: For us, sure! Of course! Of all his fans, no one can say we aren’t the biggest!

(Group of deities heads in Neil’s direction. Neil spies them and cringes).

Neil, muttering as he tries to evade the Fangods: Oh cripes, not THIS shit again! Where’s the Praetorian Guard? Oh f**k, that’s right, they’re not dead yet. Bastards.

Jesus et al: Neil, Neil, you’re the greatest drummer ever!

Neil: Go away

Allah: Come on, please sign my book!

Neil: No. Leave me alone. I’m not famous anymore. Now go away!

Buddha: Play Tom Sawyer!!

Apologies if this offends. I need a little gallows humor to cope.

I am compelled to tell you that when my daughter called me to tell me of this tragedy, my heart sunk like a stone and I was in a nasty funk all afternoon. After I got home from work, she talked me into going out to get some sushi... I cried on the way there.... When we sat down at our table, I pulled up TRF on my phone and started reading from the most recent post going backwards. Someone was looking out for me because within just a few minutes, I got to your post. I read it in quiet fascination and when I read the words: "Buddha: Play Tom Sawyer!!" ......I laughed out loud so hard that everyone in the restaurant turned to look at me... It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I shared your post with my daughter and we laughed and laughed. I honestly felt soooo much better after reading through and laughing at your post. Thank you for making a very painful experience just a little more palatable...

I’m glad it made you smile!

• Like 1

It's not just the passing of Neil that's hard...

It's the realization of our own mortality and our (lack of) place in history... =(

It's weird, but things do feel different right now.

Thanks to Rush for bringing us all here. Mr. Peart will be missed, but the records will always show his musical rhythms and lyrical excellence. Still blown away today. I have great memories of all the concerts past and thank them all for all the joy through music and poetry during the highs and lows of my days. It makes me happy to see all the blast from the past of old user names. I really miss the tours and get togethers with friends and like-minded fans. Their new album releases seemed to mark my passage of time and always gave me that chance to reset my life. I remember where I was in my journey and the eras I shared with my favorite band. Rush on forever! RUSH
  • Like 3

Rest in Peace, Neil and thank you for everything

It's been years since I used this forum but I still listen to Rush a lot. I always go back to Neil's lyrics and find good lyrics I can apply to my life. Neil is such an interesting guy that has a lot to say in his lyrics. I always liked how honest he was about it instead of being cryptic like a lot of other prog bands.

Edited by PlanetJeff
  • Like 1

:Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil: :Neil:

Thank you Neil and God bless you (ironic I know). You will be missed dearly... :rose:

Edited by GeddyLeeRoth
  • Like 2

Jon Wurster from Superchunk. Great guy and wonderful drummer.

From Twitter:

"I can’t help thinking he’s chuckling somewhere knowing hundreds of bands with gigs tonight are trying to figure out “an easy Rush song.”

:LOL:

So good to see you Blue J!

I have not been in the forum in quite some time. In shock still and just feel so sad for Carrie and Olivia. His parents and siblings too. Just a very sad day.

So nice to see you around, frippy...just under very sad circumstances. :(