Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

The irony is Neil would be VERY uncomfortable with our grief HAHAHAAA. Good ol Neil.

I can’t help imagining the following scenario:

Scene: Heaven, The Afterlife, Elysian Fields, Valhalla

Jesus: Oh My ME!!! Look over there, look who just walked in through the gates, it’s NEIL FREAKING PEART!!!

Buddha (fanning self): I can’t believe it!

Zeus: Think he’ll sign an autograph?

Odin: For us, sure! Of course! Of all his fans, no one can say we aren’t the biggest!

(Group of deities heads in Neil’s direction. Neil spies them and cringes).

Neil, muttering as he tries to evade the Fangods: Oh cripes, not THIS shit again! Where’s the Praetorian Guard? Oh f**k, that’s right, they’re not dead yet. Bastards.

Jesus et al: Neil, Neil, you’re the greatest drummer ever!

Neil: Go away

Allah: Come on, please sign my book!

Neil: No. Leave me alone. I’m not famous anymore. Now go away!

Buddha: Play Tom Sawyer!!

Apologies if this offends. I need a little gallows humor to cope.

Did anyone else read this with the voices of the Monty Python players in their heads?

ME.

• Like 1

Believe it or not people, I just found out about 10 minutes ago when my brother called me and said, "Hey! Did you hear about Neil Peart?! "

I thought he was kidding!!!

He wasn't. :| :( :boohoo:

Rest In Peace, Neil. :rose:

My thoughts and prayers to Neil's family, to Alex and Geddy, and to ALL that is and was, :rush:

Thank you.

• Like 6

Checking in to say thanks for all the music and all the memories. Rush's music has shaped part of who I am with the type of music I listen to, and listening to and playing music is a big part of who I am. This news blindsided me real hard at work this afternoon.
  • Like 4

I will be raising my glass at 21:12 central time to take a drink for Neal if anyone wants to join. My GF thinks I'm crazy for crying over someone I never knew but his words guided me during the worst of my life. So thankful.

Me too. Glasses up @ 21:12 CST!

My wife, BTW, totally gets the fact I’m tore down over a complete stranger passing away. His music was the soundtrack of my life.

Edited by theredtamasrule

I discovered the band I was 13. Neil's playing drove me to practice, dig in, and helped me to gain the confidence in playing to pursue music. He taught me how to practice. Fast forward almost 20 years where I am now a music educator with a thriving program full of young high school musicians.

Thank you Neil for everything. You were an inspiration.

• Like 9

Rock Hall

Verified account

@rockhall

56m56 minutes ago

More

Neil Peart's carefully-crafted, precision drumming and virtuosic solos compelled fans to air-drum along to his impeccable fills during his iconic live performances. A drummer’s drummer, Peart’s contributions to @rushtheband catapulted the band & prog rock itself to the next level

• Like 1

Earl. I don’t know earl, never met earl. But for some reason when I (finally) digested the news about Neil I wondered how Earl was taking it all in.

Earl what say you?

I thought of Earl, too. I would imagine we'll hear from him at some point. Would love to be able to reach out and give him a hug.

• Like 2

A post on Reddit talks about making donations in Neil's honor, for $21.12, at Cancerresearch.org. It made me smile to type in that dollar amount of $21.12 :) :heart:

That's really kind of awesome. Why don't we mention that to everyone here in a separate thread? Or maybe suggest donating to ANY cancer research place of their choosing... By the way, not just because of Neil, but f cancer. Has taken a lot of my family, friends and colleagues. :(

I think that it was mentioned in the official statement about his passing, a suggestion to make a donation to a charity (cancer related or not) of your choice, in his honor. I liked the clever redditor who came up with the amount. :D I wonder how many places are receiving donations of $21.12 and wondering why the heck such an odd amount? :)

• Like 2

This afternoon at work I decided to get on my phone for a minute and I went on twitter and the news of Neil's passing was the first thing I saw. I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. I have felt numb since hearing the news.

He will be greatly missed. My condolences to his family, his friends, Geddy and Alex and the Rush crew. :heart: :(

• Like 5

I will be raising my glass at 21:12 central time to take a drink for Neal if anyone wants to join. My GF thinks I'm crazy for crying over someone I never knew but his words guided me during the worst of my life. So thankful.

Toasting a whiskey here in CT while watching the Clockwork Angels DVD. Check the timestamp on when he hit the solo in "Where's My Thing?/Here It Is!" No joke.

Photo-Jan-10-9-14-51-PM.jpg

• Like 1

Me too. Glasses up @ 21:12 CST!

My wife, BTW, totally gets the fact I’m tore down over a complete stranger passing away. His music was the soundtrack of my life.

Well, my SO is a little baffled, but he's one of those odd types who doesn't "get" music. It's the way he's wired, I think; he says all music (not just rock - classical, Christmas carols, the blues, swing, etc) sounds like garbled noise to him.

But I explained the significance, he's seen the memorabilia and noticed that almost all of my login names have "2112" in them, and he's being cool and very sweet to me about it.

• Like 5

Haven't been here in years. How have you all been? I'm sure all of you feel like I do. It's unreal. Like twilight zone. I was in the store as well when my brother called and gave me the news. I could barely stand for a couple minutes. I've mourned celebrities before, but none of their deaths have affected me like a family member. That's how much Neil meant for so many of us. Says so much about the man. I owe so much to his inspiration. Thanks for everything Neil..... Edited by presto123
  • Like 9

Some years ago I blogged somewhere:

"Everything I Ever Needed To Know In Life I Learned From Rush"

In no particular order, and by no means an exhaustive list, here are twenty of Neil’s finest little nuggets of wisdom:

1. You won’t get wise with the sleep still in your eyes, no matter what your dream might be

2. Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world, than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled

3. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

4. I don’t believe in the stars or the planets, or angels watching from above, but I believe there’s a ghost of a chance we can find someone to love

5. I believe that what I’m feeling changes how the world appears

6. The ones we wish would hear us, have heard it all before

7. There is never love without pain

8. Why are we here? Because we’re here

9. Wheels can take you around, wheels can cut you down

10. You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight

11. You can twist perceptions; Reality won’t budge

12. Nature seems to spin a supernatural way

13. Let your heart be the anchor, and the beat of your own song

14. Live for yourself, there’s no one else more worth living for

15. Truth is after all a moving target, hairs to split and pieces that don’t fit

16. We are strangers to each other, each one’s life a novel no one else has read

17. There is a fine line between love and illusion

18. You can’t tell yourself not to care, you can’t tell yourself how to feel

19. Sometimes our big spashes are just ripples in the pool

20. I’ve got my own moral compass to steer by – a guiding star beats a spirit in the sky

• Like 10

Don't have the time now to read through 18 pages.

My husband went to bed early, so I was able to come back. This afternoon - I don't know what made me even switch users - he was on the phone with his daughter and I just got the idea to see what was going on - I was floored. Thought it was a really bad joke at first - still telling myself "It can't be" - but it is.

Did Geddy and Alex know?

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

My husband went to bed early, so I was able to come back. This afternoon - I don't know what made me even switch users - he was on the phone with his daughter and I just got the idea to see what was going on - I was floored. Thought it was a joke at first - still telling myself "It can't be" - but it is.

Did Geddy and Alex know?

I think they did. The reports are saying he'd been battling his brain cancer quietly for three and a half years. If he'd told anyone other than his family, I would think it would've been Ged and Alex.

• Like 1

My husband went to bed early, so I was able to come back. This afternoon - I don't know what made me even switch users - he was on the phone with his daughter and I just got the idea to see what was going on - I was floored. Thought it was a really bad joke at first - still telling myself "It can't be" - but it is.

Did Geddy and Alex know?

Reports say Neil had been battling cancer for the last three years. There's no way Geddy and Alex didn't know.

• Like 2