Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

There were so many idols I was expecting to lose before Neil. I mean, Ringo's recently posted about snowmobiling, but he's Ringo. Never thought Neil would be the next to go, even with his health issues and Rush calling it quits. We've got some rough years ahead of us in the rock world, truly.

Who woulda thought Ozzy would outlive everybody?

However on a similar subject....this is why part of me is still worried about EVH....If Neil kept his illness under wraps like this...who's to say there's not a lot of details that Dave, and the VH family isn't keeping under wraps?

I flew the red eye last night and rewatched Beyond the Lighted Stage. I have been a fan for 45 years. Neil was the reason I became a drummer. Watching that movie early this morning just reinforced my love for the man. He took a lot of flak for his personality, but he explained it all so well. He was brilliant. I feel empty right now.
  • Like 3

The irony is Neil would be VERY uncomfortable with our grief HAHAHAAA. Good ol Neil.

I can’t help imagining the following scenario:

Scene: Heaven, The Afterlife, Elysian Fields, Valhalla

Jesus: Oh My ME!!! Look over there, look who just walked in through the gates, it’s NEIL FREAKING PEART!!!

Buddha (fanning self): I can’t believe it!

Zeus: Think he’ll sign an autograph?

Odin: For us, sure! Of course! Of all his fans, no one can say we aren’t the biggest!

(Group of deities heads in Neil’s direction. Neil spies them and cringes).

Neil, muttering as he tries to evade the Fangods: Oh cripes, not THIS shit again! Where’s the Praetorian Guard? Oh f**k, that’s right, they’re not dead yet. Bastards.

Jesus et al: Neil, Neil, you’re the greatest drummer ever!

Neil: Go away

Allah: Come on, please sign my book!

Neil: No. Leave me alone. I’m not famous anymore. Now go away!

Buddha: Play Tom Sawyer!!

Apologies if this offends. I need a little gallows humor to cope.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 24

Seeing news that Neil entered hospice care in mid-Nov. so those close to the family knew this was coming for a while. So sad.

Rick Beato is in the music business and has a pretty big following on YouTube. I don't know where he and his friend got their info, but apparently Neil died on Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOkTmGnFHc

So my guess is they had the funeral, buried him probably yesterday. Without all the media and fan attention. Good.

Edited by grep
  • Like 11

A post on Reddit talks about making donations in Neil's honor, for $21.12, at Cancerresearch.org. It made me smile to type in that dollar amount of $21.12 :) :heart:

That's really kind of awesome. Why don't we mention that to everyone here in a separate thread? Or maybe suggest donating to ANY cancer research place of their choosing... By the way, not just because of Neil, but f cancer. Has taken a lot of my family, friends and colleagues. :(

• Like 1

What's surreal for me is seeing a link to the story on the front page of CNN.

Good, let as many people as possible know about him and the great musician he was.

• Like 4

The irony is Neil would be VERY uncomfortable with our grief HAHAHAAA. Good ol Neil.

I can’t help imagining the following scenario:

Scene: Heaven, The Afterlife, Elysian Fields, Valhalla

Jesus: Oh My ME!!! Look over there, look who just walked in through the gates, it’s NEIL FREAKING PEART!!!

Buddha (fanning self): I can’t believe it!

Zeus: Think he’ll sign an autograph?

Odin: For us, sure! Of course! Of all his fans, no one can say we aren’t the biggest!

(Group of deities heads in Neil’s direction. Neil spies them and cringes).

Neil, muttering as he tries to evade the Fangods: Oh cripes, not THIS shit again! Where’s the Praetorian Guard? Oh f**k, that’s right, they’re not dead yet. Bastards.

Jesus et al: Neil, Neil, you’re the greatest drummer ever!

Neil: Go away

Allah: Come on, please sign my book!

Neil: No. Leave me alone. I’m not famous anymore. Now go away!

Buddha: Play Tom Sawyer!!

Apologies if this offends. I need a little gallows humor to cope.

That was absolutely HYSTERICAL - I am literally laughing out loud!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Of course I'm sad because he was a childhood hero of mine, but what really makes me sad is that he'd just retired to spend more time with his family... and then that time was robbed from him. It's going to be hard for his wife and his young daughter. I guess they had time to say goodbye, but what a painful thing.

Rest in peace, Neil.

• Like 8

Very saddened doesn't quite measure up. I don't have the words. Just when he was retiring. I feel for those left behind, but l hope they all find a bit of peace in this as sad as it is. It can't be an easy thing living with that disease. Bon voyage to a drumming legend.R.I.P. Neil. Rest easy.
  • Like 3

Of course I'm sad because he was a childhood hero of mine, but what really makes me sad is that he'd just retired to spend more time with his family... and then that time was robbed from him. It's going to be hard for his wife and his young daughter. I guess they had time to say goodbye, but what a painful thing.

Rest in peace, Neil.

It really is a tragedy. I think his parents are still alive too :(

• Like 1

Rest in peace, Neil.

That is seriously horrible if true.

That such a great mind and life is rewarded with such tragedy.

Sickening stupid world.

• Like 3

Very sad day. RIP to a Titan.

I am still processing it. It was such a sudden and unexpected thing. Just so sad. I am really at a loss for words.

• Like 3

Rest in peace, Neil.

Sickening stupid world.

Both parents have outlived him, something no parent should ever have to endure.

One might have thought Fate would perhaps spare the man any more grief, as he'd had more than his share. Or at least spare him having to tell his ten year old daughter that he was going to die.

An early death is one thing, but glioblastoma is particularly cruel.

• Like 5

This might sound uber cheesy but I honestly hope that Ged and Al spent plenty of time with him and were there to provide him with some level of comfort in his final days....holding his hand, telling him not to be afraid...
  • Like 6

Rest in peace, Neil.

Sickening stupid world.

Both parents have outlived him, something no parent should ever have to endure.

One might have thought Fate would perhaps spare the man any more grief, as he'd had more than his share. Or at least spare him having to tell his ten year old daughter that he was going to die.

An early death is one thing, but glioblastoma is particularly cruel.

His poor parents outlived him, his first wife and their only child. They have had plenty of grief those poor folks.

• Like 6