Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Grateful to see that I'm not the only prodigal returning here today.

Those who remember me know that I was by turns amused by, challenged by, and enthralled by Neil's words. I will forever be thankful I went searching online for clips of Neil's appearance on Politically Incorrect, all those many years ago. That search is what led me to this place and some of the best people I've ever been honored to call friends.

I love you guys. You all know who you are. Thank you for making my life immeasurably better.

Rest in peace, Neil... I am just shocked and saddened...

Virtual group hug, you guys. :rose:

:heart: :rose:

• Like 4

When I'm ready to listen to any Rush again, and I am not anywhere near that point,

I'm glad it isn't just me who feels that way. I couldn't bear to listen to their music right now. Even hearing it in my head brings new waves of tears.

I was extremely upset finding out at the end of the work day and thought I'd go a while before I could listen to Rush

So I listened to somber City and Colour music on drive home. Broke down many times.

Put Rush on when I got home.

They sound incredible.

Neil sounds incredible.

I suggest listening and not waiting.

• Like 3

I know that no one will believe me, but a few nights ago, I had a nightmare that Neil had passed. I woke up incredibly upset.. but then incredibly relieved that it was only a dream.. or so I thought. I feel sick to my stomach.. and honestly.. I'm totally freaked out. I'm so upset.

Whoah I can't imagine being in your shoes. Dreaming something awful then waking up to the reality of it ..ugh.

Mortality has been part of my winter due to some family related events, but this has hit me so hard. I might as well tell you guys (Rush related personal anecdote here) when I saw online that Neil Peart had written "Ghost Rider" I ordered it through a local bookstore & ended up walking about 3 miles to go get the book when it came in (I was on the road for work and had no vehicle. I REALLY wanted to read the book and actually climbed over a fence on my way to the bookstore to go get it.) That book kept me sane through some amusing experiences (a bad tropical storm and then being housed in a fleabag motel.) Point being, Neil chose to share his life experiences with like minded people and we are all richer for it. We are going to grieve but let's appreciate the gifts he left us...….

So how many people are getting comments on their Facebook pages by people saying that you were the 1st person they thought of when they heard this news? I am at about 10

I think I have had about 6 people say something similar to me about it. Maybe it's good to know that people know I am into their music?

I also agree that living with glioblastoma as long as he did is impressive.

Headlong Flight may be an appropriate song to listen to right now.

• Like 3

Just paying my condolences - like so many of you, Rush was so huge in my life; and their retirement was difficult to accept but I understood it (mostly from reading Neil's last book) and I came to be at peace with it. But today just seems like a punch in the gut. 1 year of retirement before his diagnosis? f**k cancer. So sad -for his daughter, his wife, his parents, his extended family, Ged and Alex, the Rush organization and lastly all us fans. Neil was the reason that I picked up the drumsticks 38 years ago and inspired my life-long passion in music. His lyrics and musicianship were formative. We will always have his great art.

RIP Neil.

• Like 3

Know what Im really really grateful for? His books. His books were a real look into how he was wired, how touring and writing and playing worked, and about.. travel! But also about excellence in anything, family, grief, etc. That insight is simply rare with artists you may love, so I am really grateful he took the time to write those books.
  • Like 11

I keep trying to go over the Counterparts and I see the site and even a couple 0 reply pages with titles reflecting the sad news, but clicking on them does not work.

I'm thinking about all the longtime CP peeps who potentially have no outlet or place to deal with ths among other Rush fans and I hope they come here.

• Like 4

Seeing news that Neil entered hospice care in mid-Nov. so those close to the family knew this was coming for a while. So sad.

Rick Beato is in the music business and has a pretty big following on YouTube. I don't know where he and his friend got their info, but apparently Neil died on Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOkTmGnFHc

if you do a google search on Neil, it says DOD was 1/7/20

When I'm ready to listen to any Rush again, and I am not anywhere near that point,

I'm glad it isn't just me who feels that way. I couldn't bear to listen to their music right now. Even hearing it in my head brings new waves of tears.

I feel exactly the same, too...a little while ago I thought I wanted to put some Rush music on, but I started to reach for it and I just crumbled to bits. No way I can do it right now.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 2

Seeing news that Neil entered hospice care in mid-Nov. so those close to the family knew this was coming for a while. So sad.

Rick Beato is in the music business and has a pretty big following on YouTube. I don't know where he and his friend got their info, but apparently Neil died on Tuesday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOkTmGnFHc

if you do a google search on Neil, it says DOD was 1/7/20

The band said he passed on Tuesday in their official statement. 1/7/20.

I keep trying to go over the Counterparts and I see the site and even a couple 0 reply pages with titles reflecting the sad news, but clicking on them does not work.

I'm thinking about all the longtime CP peeps who potentially have no outlet or place to deal with ths among other Rush fans and I hope they come here.

Always the Winner here. I miss those glory days.

• Like 2

Know what Im really really grateful for? His books. His books were a real look into how he was wired, how touring and writing and playing worked, and about.. travel! But also about excellence in anything, family, grief, etc. That insight is simply rare with artists you may love, so I am really grateful he took the time to write those books.

Ghost rider may not have been the most academic book, but it has impact to me.

• Like 1

A lot of fans gave Neil Peart underserved criticism because he apparently didn't appreciate the people who gave him his success and status. Untrue. He shared more than most.

• Like 7

Everyone is welcome, obviously.

• Like 7

There were so many idols I was expecting to lose before Neil. I mean, Ringo's recently posted about snowmobiling, but he's Ringo. Never thought Neil would be the next to go, even with his health issues and Rush calling it quits. We've got some rough years ahead of us in the rock world, truly.

Everyone is welcome, obviously.

Yes - I sure appreciate how awesome you guys have been for us.... I think that more than a few CPers don't even know about this place, though.

But I expect we will be seeing more and more of them in the comings days and weeks. Sure hope so. I can make a very long list of people from CP I want to be hugging right now.

Edited by Wandering Hermit
  • Like 3

Really bummed out right now, but it's really comforting to see all these old friends coming out of the woodwork to pay condolences. :heart:

Yes, I don't know most of you, but I know we feel a common grief. I haven't felt this sad for a non-relative ever.

I'm going over the soundtrack of my life now, skipping through songs that I can grieve / commemorate with.

Losing It was first. I'll get to the classics after I'm numb from a few more drinks.

Clockwork Angels has a different perspective now, a mature realization, esp knowing this was their last one together.

There's almost an underlying theme like the band knew the end was near. A longing to look back over the years.

Edited by psionic11
  • Like 2