Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Listening to 2112 now. This song is what made me a Rush fan.

On Discovery...one of the only moments Ged and Alex played without Neil...singing his words, beautiful words over beautiful music.

• Like 3

All the highlights of that headlong flight

Holding on with all my might

Some days were dark

I wish that I could live it all again

Some nights were bright

I wish that I could live it all again

Today feels pretty dark.

• Like 3

Been a fan for nineteen years; saw them three or four times. Neil was truly an enigma to behold...I'm sorry for all of the crushed fans, and much peace and love to his family, including Geddy and Alex. I hope you're finally at peace, Neil, wherever you are...
  • Like 2

Been away. from the forum.

I have been crying since I heard. My heart goes out to all Rush fans, Neil's family/friends, Geddy and Alex. If ever there was a definition of respect it's with Alex and Ged; carrying all that weight over the years. Knowing the truth, yet respecting the man's privacy - interviews etc.

Certain I'm not alone when I write that Neil's lyrics and outlook on life, helped me get through tough dark times like no other lyricist. No one came close. Mr Peart had an amazing ability to connect directly and open new outlooks....prompting me to try and be a better person, an individual.

Weeping. I'm so very upset. Especially considering all he has been through. Have to just remind myself to continue to try and be ' a better person' in the spirit Neil revealed in so many ways, so well.

Love you Mr Peart!

Love and respect to you all at this time. x.

• Like 6

I had a great time today. Went to see a movie with my dad and brother. So I turned off my phone. On my way home, while driving, I turned it on again. And I suddenly get a notification from Instagram. Rush have posted something new. I opened it up and just read it. Thought I was reading it wrong. So I read it again. I almost crashed the car when I understood what the post said. I am in shock and tears. Such a great day ended to be one of my worst. Legend, and the best drummer in the world! Rest in peace professor Neil Peart!

You were driving and using your phone?

https://www.alternat...to-death-leaks/

He was looking pretty good in that photo. If you didn't know he was sick, that picture wouldn't tell you.

He looks thin.. his clothes look like they're hanging off of him. :(

That would not have clued me into him being sick, though. I'm sure I would have thought, wow, good for him, drop a few pounds, get in better shape, way to go. :(

• Like 3

My wife called me on my way to meet some friends for a beer. Then my phone started lighting up and I've been sitting in my truck taking this in and contemplating for a long time. I may have more words for this thread later, but my biggest thoughts have been that if it affects me like it has (somewhat surprising and awkwardly for someone I've never met), I cannot imagine the pain his family and Geddy and Alex are going through. Too young, way too young, and from the stupid rumor that some of us are so used to dismissing since back in the early 80's. Tonight I shall watch a concert in tribute and sip The MaCallan 18. My wife gave me a bottle for my 50th and it is only for certain occasions of honor and respect. Rest in Peace, Neil and thank you for your talents, words, inspiration and humor. You are already sadly missed. Mike
  • Like 3

https://www.alternat...to-death-leaks/

He was looking pretty good in that photo. If you didn't know he was sick, that picture wouldn't tell you.

As fans of The Tragically Hip know, glioblastoma isn't all that obvious to outsiders. Gord Downie played his final show with the Hip less than a year before he died, and made his last public appearance mere months before. It's a horrible diagnosis, and my heart aches for Neil's family, having known for so long what was to come...

• Like 3

It's not an exaggeration to say that Rush and Neil Peart saved my life many ago. Back in the early 90's, I was in college, dealing with severe depression. At one point, I had almost reached the breaking point, and one of the few things that kept me going was the lyrics of "The Pass" in my head:

Turn around and walk the razor's edge.

Don't turn your back and slam the door on me.

Those lyrics alone are enough to give me the strength to get on with my life and to fight the depression. For that I am grateful.

I am forever grateful for the connection the band has made with me and its fans. The lyrics have often been poignant, reflective of what I'm feeling, where it is as a young teen (Subdivisions, Dreamline), or an older adult (Losing It, The Garden).

RIP to the Professor, the best drummer in my lifetime, and my favorite lyricist.

Edited by CrimsonE
  • Like 4

Call me silly, but I just might go buy a bottle of The Macallan tonight, even though I'm not into straight liquor.

I hope I like it! :D

• Like 2

Someone somewhere posted a recent photo of Geddy from a book signing. It was noted that Ged got really sad when told that the band was missed. Don't know if that was here, or on Facebook. Like in the last 2 weeks.

I think now there's more context to why he reacted the way he did. If I'm right, he knew it was near the end.

• Like 3