Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

Many of you don't know me. I know I'm listed as an admin but have been mostly MIA.

But today this is where I have to be. I'm a Rush fan because of Neil. His books drew me in before I grew to love the music.

Because of him, I'll never be the same. Chose my username because of his book...

I am devastated and in shock.

I am totally numb. At a complete loss for words or thoughts.

Same. :heart:

Your sig, Professor, Ocasek and Petty’s deaths have hurt me the most. I still get teary eyed when Perry’s death hits me when I hear a song of his. Admired his integrity sticking it to the corporate jerks in the music industry.

GhostGirl I’m with you. Haven’t been here but infrequently but when I read the news today I new I had to come here and read and listen to Rush.

• Like 4

Grateful to see that I'm not the only prodigal returning here today.

Those who remember me know that I was by turns amused by, challenged by, and enthralled by Neil's words. I will forever be thankful I went searching online for clips of Neil's appearance on Politically Incorrect, all those many years ago. That search is what led me to this place and some of the best people I've ever been honored to call friends.

I love you guys. You all know who you are. Thank you for making my life immeasurably better.

Rest in peace, Neil... I am just shocked and saddened...

Virtual group hug, you guys. :rose:

I love you guys - All 3!

Thank you for giving us TRF.

The LOVE here is beyond measure.

• Like 1

This band has been such an integral part of my life since the age of 13, it's like I've just lost a family member. I'm just wandering around my house and then sitting down again, feeling pretty lost. This really hurts.

I know.

Me too.

I LOVE YOU :heart:

Love you too, sis. I'm so grateful for TRF more than ever. Without it, I would feel so alone in my sadness right now.

• Like 3

Can’t remember the last time I signed on to the site. When I saw the sad news I had to offer my condolences. It’s very sad that he missed so much with Selena and Jackie to now miss out on Olivias teen years and beyond. RIP Neil

I remember your signature!! Holy. Crap. Blast from the past man... Such a sad day

when I get in my van here in about an hour I'm turning on Rush and I'm not sure when I'll turn it off again .. right now all I want to do is listen to Rush .. for a long long time

I am playing videos on YouTube, it hurts so much to see how fantastic he was. But I am so thankful I saw them in concert 3 times, what a talent he had :notworthy: We were truly blessed to have him as long as we did. :rush:

• Like 4

Like some others here, I have been away for a while. I go months without getting on and reading and it's been years and years since I've posted anything. But I felt like I should come back and express my sadness with all of you.

I can't say anything any better than what's already been said. It's just so shocking and sad. I'm certain I haven't felt this for anyone other than a family member or a friend.

Oddly enough, about a month ago the thought of "what will it be like when someone from Rush dies" just randomly popped into my head. I remember just kind of sluffing it off but thinking "that will be a terrible day". I had no idea it would happen so soon.

I'm kind of rambling because I can't get my thoughts in order. It is affecting me more than I thought it would.

Rush is my favorite band. I don't follow any other band to this extent. I've been proud of them and happy for them since the mid seventies. They were just so different and it was so exciting to see the growth with every release and every concert.

Neil was just so excellent. In everything he did.

My condolences to his family, his band mates, and all the fans.

Edited by Noisy Bastard
  • Like 3

I remember the first time I heard Rush. I was 13 years old (I'm 55 now). A friend shared a joint with me and said "Check this out". The song was Twilight Zone. I was hooked.

I always had this fantasy that I'd meet Neil at a gas station or diner. I'd pretend I didn't know who he was and strike up a conversation about the weather or something. That will never happen now.

I'm grateful I got to see him so many times.

I don't have any Macallan so it's going to have to be bourbon. Rest in Peace.

• Like 7

The Rush Project Tribute band is coming to Dayton, Ohio Saturday night Feb 1st.

Will any tribute band be able to play any gigs this weekend? It's gonna be tough.

It'll be hard as hell, but bringing his music to life again would be the greatest thing a tribute band could do right now. If I could go to a show this weekend, I would.

• Like 5

I remember the first time I heard Rush. I was 13 years old (I'm 55 now). A friend shared a joint with me and said "Check this out". The song was Twilight Zone. I was hooked.

I always had this fantasy that I'd meet Neil at a gas station or diner. I'd pretend I didn't know who he was and strike up a conversation about the weather or something. That will never happen now.

I'm grateful I got to see him so many times.

I don't have any Macallan so it's going to have to be bourbon. Rest in Peace.

I always wondered the same thing. What would I do if I happened to see Neil somewhere someday. How could I best react without disturbing him.

• Like 1

I'm not ashamed to say tears are rolling down my face. I'm mostly a distant and cerebral type, but this hits home.

Wanted to come and commiserate with the rest of the community. In my last band, and in several bands over the years, we played Rush songs and always felt that bond because of Rush. I'm sure they're devastated as well. I quit gigging last July, but I'm sure the drinks I have tonight will be shared by my former Rush band mates.

This is a double whammy because my dad passed at 67 as well, and he was kind often kind of gruff and like Neil. So I'm feeling that as well.

My thoughts and condolences go out to Neil's family, and to Alex and Geddy and their families, and the rest of the Rush family worldwide.

RIP Neil, and thank you

Your legacy will live on

==============================================

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow

With passion and precision,

But now his mind is dark and dulled

By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door

Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world -

To live their fantasies

But most of us just dream about

The things we'd like to be

Sadder still to watch it die

Than never to have known it

For you - the blind who once could see -

The bell tolls for thee...

• Like 7

My neice just messaged me from Missouri with The news....OMG!!! R.I.P. NEIL!

unless their is recorded material, [ala John Lennon] Neil and RUSH are DONE. Neil was THE MOST influencing Percussionist in my life on top of Many Others including Ringo Starr. Thank you Neil.

37uog3w.gifGi01RWE.gifIB4o78s.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 4

Having a big ugly cry over this one.

I have been a fan for 38 years or so.

It was so cool to meet Alex & Geddy at GUP in 2018.

They must have known he was sick then, but never let on at all. That must have been hard for them, being around all of us rabid fans knowing what they knew.

I never even gave any thought to how I'd feel when/if one of them passed while I was still on this planet.

Now I know.

Taking it pretty badly. It feels the way it has when a beloved family member has died.

Of all the ups and downs in my life, there was one constant - these three guys and their music.

It is so heartbreaking to think that he had been sick. For me, that's the worst part. That he wasn't just living a nice, carefree, anonymous out-of-the-public-eye existence being with his family, riding, doing mundane things. He was f***ing dealing with cancer.

• Like 14

Rest in peace, Neil... I am just shocked and saddened...

Thanks, Mike for giving us this place, and keeping it going.

Indeed. :cheers:

yes. we all feel stunned and would be so dislocated without this place. haven't needed to be here more than now. thank you very much!!

• Like 2

Just thought I'd check in and let y'all know I just found out about this and I'm grieving right along with all of you.

But this ain't about me.

Rest In Peace, Neil, and I will pray for your family and friends. May they all persevere with grace.

Amen.

• Like 15

I had a great time today. Went to see a movie with my dad and brother. So I turned off my phone. On my way home, while driving, I turned it on again. And I suddenly get a notification from Instagram. Rush have posted something new. I opened it up and just read it. Thought I was reading it wrong. So I read it again. I almost crashed the car when I understood what the post said. I am in shock and tears. Such a great day ended to be one of my worst. Legend, and the best drummer in the world! Rest in peace professor Neil Peart!
  • Like 7