Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

You know, there aren't many things in my life that I don't try to be outstanding in. Socially, academically, as an older brother, I try my best to be atypical in some way. I don't like the idea of just being a face in a crowd or being representative of the average, or the archetype. I tend to run away from it to tell you the truth. However, one of the few places where I'm truly content, happy, to be just another member is in being a Rush fan. Perhaps its because a lot of the Rush fanbase is made of people like me, who don't fit the norms in their lives or try to eschew them. It's comforting to know there's something that brings so many of us together, and that thing is Rush. Furthermore, I think one of the biggest parts of what makes Rush appeal to those of us who aren't satisfied with the status quo is Neil. His lyrics speak to our desire to know and do more in our lives, and to be fully ourselves. His drumming sparks our passion and drive. His story cements our feelings. There are at least a dozen lines I could copy and paste from his songs as some kind of touching eulogy, but I remember now something he said in Beyond The Lighted stage which my Dad and I have always loved. In speaking about his lyrics and people's connections to them, if I recall correctly, Neil says something to this effect, "I'm just a reflection of everyone else." That one always makes me stop and think.

Rest In Peace Neil Peart :rose:

• Like 10

This band has been such an integral part of my life since the age of 13, it's like I've just lost a family member. I'm just wandering around my house and then sitting down again, feeling pretty lost. This really hurts.

I'm at work, just staring at The Rush Forum.

This band has been such an integral part of my life since the age of 13, it's like I've just lost a family member. I'm just wandering around my house and then sitting down again, feeling pretty lost. This really hurts.

I know.

Me too.

I LOVE YOU :heart:

• Like 4

Chuck D (Public Enemy)

At the end of a crazy @rockhall night in 2013 where @rushtheband & @PublicEnemyFTP were inducted. It was just myself & Neil PEart alone talkin & laughing low in relief the long night was over-a small table backstage sharing a unique moment without much word. Rest in Beats my man

• Like 10

Just heard the news on sports radio of all places. Had no idea he was sick. Haven't posted on here in a few years but was drawn here. Really bummed. Big loss for everyone. Even though it's a total shock, I respect the fact that he and his bandmates kept it private. The lack of a return to music for him after the last tour makes way more sense now. Not sure what else to say. Bummed out. RIP Neil.
  • Like 3

Many of you don't know me. I know I'm listed as an admin but have been mostly MIA.

But today this is where I have to be. I'm a Rush fan because of Neil. His books drew me in before I grew to love the music.

Because of him, I'll never be the same. Chose my username because of his book...

I am devastated and in shock.

I am totally numb. At a complete loss for words or thoughts.

Same. :heart:

Your sig, Professor, Ocasek and Petty’s deaths have hurt me the most. I still get teary eyed when Perry’s death hits me when I hear a song of his. Admired his integrity sticking it to the corporate jerks in the music industry.

• Like 1

The Rush Project Tribute band is coming to Dayton, Ohio Saturday night Feb 1st.

Will any tribute band be able to play any gigs this weekend? It's gonna be tough.

• Like 1

Nothing I could say that probably hasn't already been said. Just dumbfounded at the moment. A decade from now, news of a Rush member's passing wouldn't have come as quite so much of a shock, but this was such completely unexpected and almost surreal news to receive today. So many icons have passed at around the same age in recent years - Chris Squire, John Wetton, Greg Lake, and now Neil. Sad times, indeed.
  • Like 1

Can’t remember the last time I signed on to the site. When I saw the sad news I had to offer my condolences. It’s very sad that he missed so much with Selena and Jackie to now miss out on Olivias teen years and beyond. RIP Neil
  • Like 2

195 user(s) are reading this topic

58 members, 131 guests, 6 anonymous users

• Rush Didact, caspag, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, sundog, davidatdi, fraroc, Noisy Bastard, Blue J, driventotheedge, theredtamasrule, Principled Man, Freeze, Entre_Perpetuo, edie, Segue Myles, bagbuck, Cygnus 2112, Karena, patjnev, sullysue, H to O, vaportrailer, edhunter, chemistry1973, Vectorman, pxr5, Pressure/Hopenosis, big lou, lifeson90, Burger King Diamond, By Tor, HemiBeers, bootruss, Show Don't Tell, Rushman14, Amps211, Running Rebel, tas7, Ron2112, KOQuetzal, danielmclark, ZivotSon, JKing, bytor11, blueschica, PinkFaure, priest_of_syrinx, ytserush, yyz305, diatribein, dand363, cygnify, hunter, southpaw2k5, Johnny Gilbert, RUSHFREAK101, Mara, HalfwayToGone

There's something reassuring in knowing this community exists, as it seems so many of us had the same thought on hearing the news...

• Like 11

Having fond memories now of sneaking backstage at Mohegan Sun in my delivery truck and walking by his bus and his bikes, knowing he was just inside.

And of getting a tshirt shot from his cannon in Salt Lake in 2012. He shot it in my direction and I lost it in the lights. I instinctively turned around before it reached me and got it on the rebound off some guy's chest.

And of standing outside the backstage in Vegas in '96 meeting Howard. A guy rode by on his motorcycle and Howard waited about 5 minutes to tell me that was Neil.

Lots fun times

• Like 5

Grateful to see that I'm not the only prodigal returning here today.

Those who remember me know that I was by turns amused by, challenged by, and enthralled by Neil's words. I will forever be thankful I went searching online for clips of Neil's appearance on Politically Incorrect, all those many years ago. That search is what led me to this place and some of the best people I've ever been honored to call friends.

I love you guys. You all know who you are. Thank you for making my life immeasurably better.

Rest in peace, Neil... I am just shocked and saddened...

Virtual group hug, you guys. :rose:

• Like 13

I haven't been on this forum in probably 8 or more years, but I used to be on here very regularly when rush was still a band. I was probably 16 or so when I joined this forum... Now I'm almost 29. This news is absolutely devastating... I cried thinking of what Alex and Geddy must be going through. Neil was the greatest drummer for Rush and never phoned it in. Ever. I hope everyone is doing okay... What a terrible day for all of us. Rest in peace Neil... Thank you so much for everything man.
  • Like 2

I think someone posted a recent pic of Neil about a year ago and some remarked that he didn't look well. But other than that there's been no public information about his post-retirement life. I would've thought somewhere there would be pictures or a short story. But apparently, he made it his goal to keep his life private which I deeply respect. In these days of overexposure on the internet that is indeed a huge challenge.

I feel a deep loss for everyone involved in his life, but especially his daughter. The saving grace is that he had quality time with his wife and daughter after his previous tragedy.

RIP Neil...indeed a legend.

• Like 2

195 user(s) are reading this topic

58 members, 131 guests, 6 anonymous users

• Rush Didact, caspag, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1, sundog, davidatdi, fraroc, Noisy Bastard, Blue J, driventotheedge, theredtamasrule, Principled Man, Freeze, Entre_Perpetuo, edie, Segue Myles, bagbuck, Cygnus 2112, Karena, patjnev, sullysue, H to O, vaportrailer, edhunter, chemistry1973, Vectorman, pxr5, Pressure/Hopenosis, big lou, lifeson90, Burger King Diamond, By Tor, HemiBeers, bootruss, Show Don't Tell, Rushman14, Amps211, Running Rebel, tas7, Ron2112, KOQuetzal, danielmclark, ZivotSon, JKing, bytor11, blueschica, PinkFaure, priest_of_syrinx, ytserush, yyz305, diatribein, dand363, cygnify, hunter, southpaw2k5, Johnny Gilbert, RUSHFREAK101, Mara, HalfwayToGone

There's something reassuring in knowing this community exists, as it seems so many of us had the same thought on hearing the news...

It has definitely brought a lot of the TRF family back together. Weddings and funerals... :(

• Like 4

Grateful to see that I'm not the only prodigal returning here today.

Those who remember me know that I was by turns amused by, challenged by, and enthralled by Neil's words. I will forever be thankful I went searching online for clips of Neil's appearance on Politically Incorrect, all those many years ago. That search is what led me to this place and some of the best people I've ever been honored to call friends.

I love you guys. You all know who you are. Thank you for making my life immeasurably better.

Rest in peace, Neil... I am just shocked and saddened...

Virtual group hug, you guys. :rose:

this is a sight for sore eyes :heart:

Edited by Rushman14
  • Like 3