Neil Peart Has Passed Away

southpaw2k5

EDIT: Statement from the band. (https://twitter.com/rushtheband/status/1215751793247969281)

EN83ze-OWAAEINJq.jpg

https://www.rollings...bituary-936221/

Neil Peart, the drummer and lyricist for Rush, died Tuesday, January 7th, in Santa Monica, California at age 67. The cause was brain cancer, which he had been quietly battling for three years, according to Elliott Mintz, a spokesperson for the Peart family. A representative for the band confirmed the news to Rolling Stone.

Peart was widely considered one of the best drummers in rock history, with a flamboyant yet utterly precise style. He joined singer-bassist Geddy Lee and guitarist Alex Lifeson in Rush in 1974, and his virtuosic playing and literate lyrics – which drew on Ayn Rand and science fiction, among other influences – helped make Rush one of the key bands of the classic-rock era. A rigorous autodidact and a gifted writer, he was also the author of numerous books.

“Neil is the most air-drummed-to drummer of all time,” former Police drummer Stewart Copeland told Rolling Stone in 2015. “Neil pushes that band, which has a lot of musicality, a lot of ideas crammed into every eight bars — but he keeps the throb, which is the important thing. And he can do that while doing all kinds of cool shit.”

Rush finished their final tour in 2015; Peart was done with the road and eager to spend more time with his wife, Carrie Nuttal, and daughter Olivia.

Edited by southpaw2k5
  • Like 2

I'm surprised that no other media outlets are reporting this given that he allegedly died three days about. Sad, if true, of course.

This will hit some fans harder than others. I worry that those who still held out hope for a Rush reunion are going to be particularly stricken.

I have often wondered how I would feel when one of them eventually died...even worried about how much I might be affected by it. Turns out, I'm only a little bummed. I'm mostly sad that his daughter won't have him in her life any more.
  • Like 9

This comes as a total shock. I had no idea he was that ill. I had known he had had health issues that forced him to retire from music but I didn't know they were that bad- they had never announced he had cancer or anything.

He was an excellent drummer, a great lyricist (except for his Ayn Rand stuff) and a real driving force behind Rush. It sucks that he had to die so soon (67 isn't really young but not really that old).

Edited by Eel Yddeg
  • Like 2

I have often wondered how I would feel when one of them eventually died...even worried about how much I might be affected by it. Turns out, I'm only a little bummed. I'm mostly sad that his daughter won't have him in her life any more.

I'm kind of with you on this one. At least right now I'm ok. But it will probably hit me at some point. I feel bad for his wife and daughter.

RIP Neil, and thank you for everything you did with Rush.

• Like 4

My mum died of brain cancer in September.

This feels just so, so shit for me right now. Rush are one of the very few things that I mentally depend on, even if that just means posting on this forum.

X

• Like 11