The Beatles vs. Metallica (the albums! not the bands)

Entre_Perpetuo

Choose!  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do you prefer?

• Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
    • The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album)
    • I choose not to decide
  2. 2. Which album is better?

• Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
    • The Beatles - The Beatles (The White Album)
    • I choose not to decide
  3. 3. Okay fine which band do you prefer?

• Metallica
    • The Beatles
    • I choose not to decide

Two more opposite records could be difficult to imagine. Which do you prefer? Which is better? and WHY?

This isn't hard.

The Beatles (the album) is a masterpiece.

Metallica (the album) is for many a masterpiece but to my ears straight up boring. Even though I like all the songs, as a full album it just bogs me down, I find it very flat sounding and it is very tedious to get through. It blurs and is so... underwhelming. I prefer albums like Testament's "The Ritual", which was another "softer" album by a thrash metal band of the era, or 2006's "The Crusade" by Trivium, or "One Second" by Paradise Lost. I cite these three to make it abundantly clear I have no issue with metal bands releasing mainstream ready metal albums. But as much as I like Metallica, I am not really as enamored with them as many other metal fans are. They are my cup of tea...but overall they are a little vanilla to my ears. Give me Megadeth or Testament instead!

So for this poll, hands down The Beatles. I actually rank The Black Album below Load and Reload.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Not really a fan of the Beatles and don't care what people think of that (the mother of one of the kids who used to tour with Adrian Belew told me my opinion was wrong and that I couldn't be trusted when i mentioned not really liking the Beatles). Not really a huge fan of Metallica either, but much more so than the Beatles.

I am with George Martin on this: Had the White Album been a single disc, it would be the album that some people think it is.

I will take the Black Album on this one for conciseness.

I was just listening to a podcast where the panel went through the entire white album. One of the panelists made a great point about this album. In essence, he said that if someone says they don't like the Beatles, and says they don't like the songs on this album, they're trying not to like them. There's too much diversity to not find something you like. With the exception of Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9 (neither of which are really "songs"), I think every song on this album is "essential."

• Like 1

I am with George Martin on this: Had the White Album been a single disc, it would be the album that some people think it is.

I will take the Black Album on this one for conciseness.

I was just listening to a podcast where the panel went through the entire white album. One of the panelists made a great point about this album. In essence, he said that if someone says they don't like the Beatles, and says they don't like the songs on this album, they're trying not to like them. There's too much diversity to not find something you like. With the exception of Wild Honey Pie and Revolution 9 (neither of which are really "songs"), I think every song on this album is "essential."

With you here. I adore this album, and wouldn't change one single thing.

• Like 1

There's a band called Beatallica, which is a mash-up band that plays music made from combinations of songs of the Beatles and Metallica.

They were on a bill with Sammy Hagar and Eric Johnson ("Cliffs Of Dover") at an event called Loopfest in Chicago on July 15, 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzKMhWEKV_M

Bob Rock and George Martin are two producers from different musical spectrums.

Edited by RushFanForever

Not really a Beatles fan, but the White Album has always been the most interesting Beatles album for me. Maybe Abbey Road. Its a collage of weirdness and fun and some just plain great songs in a way that Sgt. Peppers wasn't. I've got blisteres on my fingers.

I voted Metallica. I guess they're the Beatles (or Led Zepplin) of my generation. Great album, great tour. Most of the song wear pretty well. I've wore out a copy of the Black Album (and wore the tour shirt to shreds), but never wore out a copy of the White album, good as it is.

:haz:

• Like 1

I listened to Music in my early teens and then heard The Beatles

I listened to The Beatles like my life depended on it .

Then I heard The White Album .

I listened to other types of Music after that .

Hear I am on a Rush forum .

I listened to Music in my early teens and then heard The Beatles

I listened to The Beatles like my life depended on it .

Then I heard The White Album .

I listened to other types of Music after that .

Hear I am on a Rush forum .

That's quite the story!

Thank you !

Typo on the Hear , it should be here .

OH dear :)

There is one more Beatle / Rush connection

I saw Lennon on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975 ish , and that was amazing , so I watched the show every week or when every it was on .

Then in late 1977 The O.G.W.T. showed a little clip of Rush and that they were touring the U.K. early next year .

Next day me and my Queen loving and drum nut school mate could`nt believe the size of the kit , I could`nt believe that there were two twin necks !

So we got tickets for our first concert .

Rush , Farewell To Kings Tour . Manchester Apollo 1978 .

Edited by By Tor
  • Like 4