40th Anniversary

Fordgalaxy

I would nominate Entre Nous as the Best Lyrics Neil Peart ever wrote.

We are secrets to each other

Each one's life a novel

No one else has read

Even joined in bonds of love

We're linked to one another

By such slender threads

We are planets to each other

Drifting in our orbits

To a brief eclipse

Each of us a world apart

Alone and yet together

Like two passing ships

Just between us

I think it's time for us to recognize

The differences we sometimes fear to show

Just between us

I think it's time for us to realize

The spaces in between

Leave room for you and I to grow

We are strangers to each other

Full of sliding panels

An illusion show

Acting well rehearsed routines

Or playing from the heart?

It's hard for one to know

We are islands to each other

Building hopeful bridges

On a troubled sea

Some are burned or swept away

Some we would not choose

But we're not always free

http://media.beliefnet.com/~/media/photos/love-and-family/relationships/galleries/emotional-affairs/shutterstock_1604905.jpg

• Like 5

No better album to start a new decade!

I had a great listening experience on New Year's Eve. I started to play the album exactly at midnight and the fireworks sound in the background created an almost surreal atmosphere to it. Must confess, I had tears in my eyes... :rush:

• Like 2

This discussion has been brought up before.

January 1st is NOT the release date of Permanent Waves. It's January 14th, which is noted here.

I'm going to share this February 9, 1980 article from RPM Weekly Magazine (a former Canadian music magazine) re-posted on the Power Windows Tribute website below.

Intense Early Reaction to Rush's Permanent Waves

Every year that someone posts the milestone anniversary release date of Permanent Waves, this will be rectified.

In a perfect world, I wish every single RUSH fan on this planet past, present, and future by default would bypass January 1st and remember January 14th for this. It's like Spinal Tap, don't look, don't touch, and don't think about January 1st in this context.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

January 1st is NOT the release date of Permanent Waves. It's January 14th, which is noted here.

I'm going to share this February 9, 1980 article from RPM Weekly Magazine (a former Canadian music magazine) re-posted on the Power Windows Tribute website below.

Every year that someone posts the milestone anniversary release date of Permanent Waves, this will be rectified.

In a perfect world, I wish every single RUSH fan on this planet past, present, and future by default would bypass January 1st and remember January 14th for this. It's like Spinal Tap, don't look, don't touch, and don't think about January 1st in this context.

This one goes to 14!!!

• Like 1

January 1st would have been a holiday and all the shops would have been closed.

little taurus fact: My small town had one record store "Sam the Record Man", it initially had only one copy out in the racks when Permanent Waves was released. I bought the first copy in town. The hole was a bit off centered and the ending part of Natural Science sounded a little wavy.

• Like 3

little taurus fact: My small town had one record store "Sam the Record Man", it initially had only one copy out in the racks when Permanent Waves was released. I bought the first copy in town. The hole was a bit off centered and the ending part of Natural Science sounded a little wavy.

Ah, LP records . . . what a great warm sound; what shit technology.

Anyway, Permanent Waves (whatever day it was released [the 14th!]) is such an awesome work. Blending the big and the little, the complexity of the music, the lift of the lyrics -- for me, it's the most Rush-y album. No weak track on that one.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification, buzzkill. :D (i only started the thread because it was the 40th anniversary and now the 14th will be stuck in my head forever [until the Alzheimer's kicks in]).

That happened to me once with a Billy Joel album. I was so pissed!

I never knew there was an edited version of TSOR. I wonder what was cut.

It's a 3:00 minute edit in the US and the Canadian Anthem single is 3:40. Don't remember what they cut exactly it's been ages since I put it on the turntable. Not really a fan of edits. Give me the full 4:54.

I never knew there was an edited version of TSOR. I wonder what was cut.

The "radio" edit ironically missed out about half the song.

It fades out during the instrumental bridge after the 2nd chorus.

And there you have it. Never understood why some edits were done that way.

Here's the 3:00 minute US edit version below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hmXDN4tCg

I viewed a documentary on Yes over the weekend, and the promo guy mentioned pushing for 'Roundabout' to get airplay on AM radio. Below is the edited version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6aJ_VlCQ30

I'm sure with RUSH it was the same related scenario.

• Like 1

Here's the 3:00 minute US edit version below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hmXDN4tCg

Yep that's the same edit as you'd hear on UK radio, and jukeboxes too.

I looked at the track list for that Top Of The Pops, some classic songs on that week:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pl7rt

I'd probably have watched it at the time and had no idea who Rush were, that obsession would come later....