Me & 2112

ST3V

"A Passage To Bangkok" and "Tears" are 2 standouts for me from the album 2112. But the one everyone on this entire frickin' planet seems to love is 2112 the song.

Anywhere I go, everyone seems to think 2112 is so amazing, and that it's such a masterpiece! But I see it differently. I've listened to it maybe about 8 or 9 times and I just can't seem to like it nearly as much as most do.

The big exciting parts, aren't really all that exciting for me and they seem like sort of stereotypical riffs that don't really sound all that special. Plus I think the slow and quiet parts just drag on way too long. My favorite part of 2112 is probably Overture because it actually draws me in, but most of the rest of it isn't all too amazing. I just feel Alex's playing wasn't nearly as imaginative as most other Rush songs. Neil's drumming never really stood out to me either. Geddy kills it on his great sounding Rickenbacker, though.

The story on the other hand is a bit interesting, and the songwriting is good, that's not really a problem.

Does anyone else feel this way, or is there something wrong with me?

• Like 2

I don’t care for Temples really that much.

Though - thinking now— did they invent the metal “gallop”?

I love the rest of the suite though. Listening in my bedroom on headphones was a cinematic experience. However I can understand there not being as much of an impact these days.

• Like 1

Nothing is wrong with anyone for liking or not liking a piece of music.I

Even so, 2112, with the Overture, Temples, and Grand Finale, packs more of the greatness of Rush into one song than perhaps anything in their catalog. Even including the too slow parts, I don't think it will ever leave the top 3 for me, because of the transcendence of the three aforementioned sections. Even after a couple thousand listens, it demands attention and makes the spirit soar. I can't imagine Rush without it.

• Like 5

Nothing is wrong with anyone for liking or not liking a piece of music.I

Even so, 2112, with the Overture, Temples, and Grand Finale, packs more of the greatness of Rush into one song than perhaps anything in their catalog. Even including the too slow parts, I don't think it will ever leave the top 3 for me, because of the transcendence of the three aforementioned sections. Even after a couple thousand listens, it demands attention and makes the spirit soar. I can't imagine Rush without it.

Agreed...I remember the first time I ever heard the song, and I thought Temples was the most brilliant, and the heaviest thing I had ever heard. I still feel that way about the latter part of that statement.

• Like 2

a) you don't get it and

b) you don't the level of risk they took at the time to put out 2112. it was the make or break album. It was a giant f**k you turned up to 10.

No, I totally understand the tension at the time after Caress Of Steel bombed. I've read about the risk and all the time it took, and I'm glad it turned out for the best to get Rush rollin. I understand the backstory and what went into it, but it's just decent to me, that's all. I just don't like it as much as most do

a) you don't get it and

b) you don't the level of risk they took at the time to put out 2112. it was the make or break album. It was a giant f**k you turned up to 10.

No, I totally understand the tension at the time after Caress Of Steel bombed. I've read about the risk and all the time it took, and I'm glad it turned out for the best to get Rush rollin. I understand the backstory and what went into it, but it's just decent to me, that's all. I just don't like it as much as most do

Perfectly acceptable. Different hearts beat on different strings.

• Like 3

a) you don't get it and

It's understanding to me. It's like the Kings album with me. I didn't hear it till later, and it's never impressed me. I generally prefer the straight ahead rocking RUSH more.

How were you introduced to RUSH?

"A Passage To Bangkok" and "Tears" are 2 standouts for me from the album 2112. But the one everyone on this entire frickin' planet seems to love is 2112 the song.

Anywhere I go, everyone seems to think 2112 is so amazing, and that it's such a masterpiece! But I see it differently. I've listened to it maybe about 8 or 9 times and I just can't seem to like it nearly as much as most do.

The big exciting parts, aren't really all that exciting for me and they seem like sort of stereotypical riffs that don't really sound all that special. Plus I think the slow and quiet parts just drag on way too long. My favorite part of 2112 is probably Overture because it actually draws me in, but most of the rest of it isn't all too amazing. I just feel Alex's playing wasn't nearly as imaginative as most other Rush songs. Neil's drumming never really stood out to me either. Geddy kills it on his great sounding Rickenbacker, though.

The story on the other hand is a bit interesting, and the songwriting is good, that's not really a problem.

[timidly raises hand among TrueRushFans]

I don't like 2112 at all.

a) you don't get it and

It's understanding to me. It's like the Kings album with me. I didn't hear it till later, and it's never impressed me. I generally prefer the straight ahead rocking RUSH more.

My father has Rush Chronicles CD. I got a CD player when I was about 10 and fell in love with pretty much the whole thing. I'd play Limelight, Show Don't Tell, and The Spirit of Radio countless times before going to bed, I remember.

• Like 2

a) you don't get it and

My father has Rush Chronicles CD. I got a CD player when I was about 10 and fell in love with pretty much the whole thing. I'd play Limelight, Show Don't Tell, and The Spirit of Radio countless times before going to bed, I remember.

Makes a lot of sense, then. I love the first half of the 2112 epic, Overture thru Presentation. After that, I generally lose interest. Overture/Temples is especially epic.
  • Like 2

a) you don't get it and

Makes a lot of sense, then. I love the first half of the 2112 epic, Overture thru Presentation. After that, I generally lose interest. Overture/Temples is especially epic.

That seems to be the same with me. Discovery seems to be a slow part for me though, not a real fan but yeah Overture, Syrinx, and Presentation are pretty decent.

a) you don't get it and

AFTK is a troublesome listen.

Xanadu is incredible, but I struggle with the rest of the album. It feels slightly uncooked - and the playing is just weird and frantic.

The title track, CTTH and Cygnus are potentially incredible songs, but they don’t quite get there. I get it though - they were changing as song writers, challenging themselves. Hemispheres showcases their song craft much better.

a) you don't get it and

Xanadu is incredible, but I struggle with the rest of the album. It feels slightly uncooked - and the playing is just weird and frantic.

The title track, CTTH and Cygnus are potentially incredible songs, but they don’t quite get there. I get it though - they were changing as song writers, challenging themselves. Hemispheres showcases their song craft much better.

Agreed. Kings is ambitious, but a bit of a mess to my ears.

If it wasn't for the song 2112 I would not have a login for this site.

Or have been to nearly 20 Rush gigs.

And my life's soundtrack would be totally different.

'nuff said.

:ebert:

The original vinyl was mesmerizing in my youth. I adore side B.

• Like 3

With, and if not liking Rush's song 2112 nearly as much as some other people do, there hasn't been, and isn't something, and anything wrong. There are people, who may not've listened to any of Rush's other material of songs, and music, so they may not have been familiar about the rest of their studio material, and only recognize some of it, and certain of it because of various, and different reasons like time, and growing up. Laugh, to what I've said, I've appreciated that you decided to say "Well said".

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

With, and if not liking Rush's song 2112 nearly as much as some other people do, there hasn't been, and isn't something, and anything wrong. There are people, who may not've listened to any of Rush's other material of songs, and music, so they may not have been familiar about the rest of their studio output, and only recognize some of it, and certain material because of various, and different reasons like time, and growing up.

Well said.

• Like 1

I don’t care for Temples really that much.

Though - thinking now— did they invent the metal “gallop”?

I love the rest of the suite though. Listening in my bedroom on headphones was a cinematic experience. However I can understand there not being as much of an impact these days.

see - Deep Purple 1970

• Like 3

If it wasn't for the song 2112 I would not have a login for this site.

Or have been to nearly 20 Rush gigs.

And my life's soundtrack would be totally different.

'nuff said.

:ebert:

The original vinyl was mesmerizing in my youth. I adore side B.

Well played...well played :cheers:
  • Like 1

a) you don't get it and

I think AFTK is amazing, probably would be my favorite Rush album if not for Moving Pictures... But perhaps this is a conversation for another thread?

• Like 2

a) you don't get it and

I think AFTK is amazing, probably would be my favorite Rush album if not for Moving Pictures... But perhaps this is a conversation for another thread?

Well, the point is that it's a matter of taste. I love the debut, Caress of Steel, 2112 side 2, PWaves. And I like side B of Hemispheres far more than side A. If you like RUSH's riskier (but less successful, imo) attempts at art-rock, then Kings and Hemi side A fit that bill. The second half of the 2112 epic as well, perhaps.
  • Like 1