Rank Your Favorite Bands' Albums

ST3V

Supertramp

i'm only including the Roger stuff. not really ovely familiar with the post stuff

1 Even in the Quietest Moments

2. Crime of the Century

3. Breakfast in America

4. Crisis What Crisis

5. Famous Last Words

6. Indelibly Stamped

7. Supertramp

Mick

You and EP have me listening to the Quietest Moments album a lot lately. I've never appreciated it as much as you two seem to, but I'm working at it. :)
  • Like 1

Supertramp

i'm only including the Roger stuff. not really ovely familiar with the post stuff

2. Crime of the Century

3. Breakfast in America

4. Crisis What Crisis

5. Famous Last Words

6. Indelibly Stamped

7. Supertramp

Mick

You and EP have me listening to the Quietest Moments album a lot lately. I've never appreciated it as much as you two seem to, but I'm working at it. :)

i absolutly love that record. i think on that album you get the best of all they do. Breezy pop (Give A Little Bit) Swagger filled jazz (Lover Boy and to a lesser extent From Now On) Sweet ballads (Downstream) Roger's Spiritual side (Title Track, Babaji) and straight prog (Fools Overture)

it's easily their most balanced.

Try it again.

Mick

• Like 2

Yes seems like a good one to start with, but I don't really listen to much of their stuff beyond 90125

I know for a fact I've already done this is another thread BTW, and it's probably changed just a little bit since then:

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

7. Tales From Topographic Oceans

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

13+ I don't care for enough to ever listen, but I've heard all of them at least once except for Heaven & Earth and The Quest

• Like 2

Supertramp

2. Crime of the Century

3. Breakfast in America

4. Crisis What Crisis

5. Famous Last Words

6. Indelibly Stamped

7. Supertramp

Mick

i absolutly love that record. i think on that album you get the best of all they do. Breezy pop (Give A Little Bit) Swagger filled jazz (Lover Boy and to a lesser extent From Now On) Sweet ballads (Downstream) Roger's Spiritual side (Title Track, Babaji) and straight prog (Fools Overture)

it's easily their most balanced.

Try it again.

Mick

Yep yep yep! And you get some of their Francophile flair on From Now On. The only thing it's missing is the AOR sound they discovered on Breakfast.

• Like 3

Yes seems like a good one to start with, but I don't really listen to much of their stuff beyond 90125

I know for a fact I've already done this is another thread BTW, and it's probably changed just a little bit since then:

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

13+ I don't care for enough to ever listen, but I've heard all of them at least once except for Heaven & Earth and The Quest

That's too bad. They had some really good (and dare I even say great) stuff after 90125 especially the ladder, talk and Big Generator. Of course that's just my opinion. 90125 was a very good comeback but ulitimately a bit overrated and not very representative of the Yes sound or spirit so it loses points for me. If it was released under the name Boston or Journey or even Styx no one would have batted an eyelash at the time.

Edited by New_World_Man

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

That's too bad. They had some really good (and dare I even say great) stuff after 90125 especially the ladder, talk and Big Generator. Of course that's just my opinion. 90125 was a very good comeback but ulitimately a bit overrated and not very representative of the Yes sound or spirit so it loses points for me. If it was released under the name Boston or Journey or even Styx no one would have batted an eyelash at the time.

I disagree on the 90125 part, I think for the time, it was a vital album in the progressing of the 80s rock sound. In fact some people credit Trevor Horn as the man who invented the 80s sound, and while that may be a bit hyperbolic, he definitely helped it to evolve, and this album was a big part of that. I think that's the reason why it was so big at the time, it was different.

• Like 2

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

to each his own of course, but i'm clueless as to how anyone could like big generator but then call 90125 overrated :P i guess it is in a way, since it's the most popular yes / album and song for more casual listeners.

big generator has two good songs, the title track and shoot high

talk and the ladder are forgettable, the band really suffers without both Howe and Wakeman most of the time

Union (popularly referred to as Onion) has "Pick Me Up" - which at least has a very kick ass Dream Theater like intro in it.

can't say much positive about their catalogue aside from the albums I ranked, I gave them all a fair shot and honestly it felt like the world's biggest chore.. meanwhile listening through something like Tales From Topographic Oceans felt like an incredible adventure at the time

I'll take a stab at this one - honestly very difficult as there's a lot of grey area to consider

King's X:

5/5

1. Please Come Mr. Bulbous

2. Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

4/5

3. King's X

4. Dogman

5. Ogre Tones

6. Tape Head

7. Out of the Silent Planet

8. Faith Hope Love

9. XV

3/5

10. Ear Candy

11. Manic Moonlight

2/5

12. Black Like Sunday

^ none of these albums are "bad" except for the bottom three which are mostly filter, I'd say. still some great songs on there however

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Another difficult one to rank, a lot of these will switch positions over time like with King's X

Porcupine Tree

5/5

1. Fear of a Blank Planet

2. The Incident

3. In Absentia

4/5

4. Stupid Dream

5. Lightbulb Sun

6. Deadwing

(i'm guessing Close/Continuation will land around here)

7. Signify

3/5

8. The Sky Moves Sideways

9. Up The Downstair

shit/5

10. On The Shitday of Life

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

YES

1. Close To The Edge [Close To The Edge]

2. The Yes Album [Yours Is No Disgrace]

3. 90125 [Hearts]

4. Going For The One [Awaken]

5. Fragile [Roundabout]

6. Relayer [sound Chaser]

7. Drama [into The Lens]

8. Tales From Topographic Oceans [The Revealing Science Of God (Dance Of The Dawn)]

9. Big Generator [big Generator]

10. Tormato [On Silent Wings Of Freedom]

11. Talk [Endless Dream]

12. Keystudio (Keys to Ascension 1 & 2) [be The One]

13. Fly From Here [Fly From Here]

14. Open Your Eyes [Open Your Eyes]

15. Time And A Word [Then]

16. The Ladder [Homeworld (The Ladder)]

17. Union [Miracle Of Life]

18. Magnification [in The Presence Of]

19. The Quest [The Ice Bridge]

20. Heaven & Earth [subway Walls]

21. Yes [survival]

Finally a Yes list I feel mainly confident about... at least for now.

• Like 3

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

to each his own of course, but i'm clueless as to how anyone could like big generator but then call 90125 overrated :P i guess it is in a way, since it's the most popular yes / album and song for more casual listeners.

talk and the ladder are forgettable, the band really suffers without both Howe and Wakeman most of the time

Union (popularly referred to as Onion) has "Pick Me Up" - which at least has a very kick ass Dream Theater like intro in it.

can't say much positive about their catalogue aside from the albums I ranked, I gave them all a fair shot and honestly it felt like the world's biggest chore.. meanwhile listening through something like Tales From Topographic Oceans felt like an incredible adventure at the time

Compared to Big Generator 90125 is definitely overrated which conversely means BG is underrated which is exactly how I feel. They have similarities but BG is more adventurous and has more songs that are more representative of the classic era. The more cutting edge songs are done because they want to do them. Anyway many people jump ship after Going For the One so at least you made it into the 80's. ;)

• Like 1

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

Compared to Big Generator 90125 is definitely overrated which conversely means BG is underrated which is exactly how I feel. They have similarities but BG is more adventurous and has more songs that are more representative of the classic era. The more cutting edge songs are done because they want to do them. Anyway many people jump ship after Going For the One so at least you made it into the 80's. ;)

I'll toss in my spare change.

Going For The One is the overrated one to me. 90125 gets as much hate for being such a radical departure from their 70s sound as it does love for being a great pop/rock AOR record (with proggy tinges), so I don't think it's overrated. GFTO has Awaken, which is great, but then it has those other songs which just... to me they're like Jethro Tull post TAAB, when the all the instrumental and structural complexity started to get in the way of strong melodies and cohesive compositions. Not to say I don't enjoy the rest of the album (or Jethro Tull's work post TAAB for that matter), but to me it's the sound of a band that has passed the point of diminishing returns in pursuit of a particular sound or idea (really I think they'd started passing it on Relayer). Even Awaken doesn't really compare to CTTE or TRSOG to me, but I think a 15 minute runtime often runs the risk of feeling a bit too long or a bit too short. Oddly, I think they try to focus more on songwriting fundamentals and cooling down on the overcomplexity a bit better on Tormato, but the songs that they come up with are somehow no longer as interesting. They just feel less essential even if I find them a bit more enjoyable at face value. Then Drama is its own little strange heavy world without Jon there to remind me I'm listening to Yes (though Howe and Squire do give enough hints that I never totally forget), and then 90125 appears, and suddenly Yes are firing on all cylinders again for me. As far as Big Generator is concerned, I'm not terribly attached to it. I don't dislike it by any means, but it has a bit of "90125 2" feeling to it, but without the most massive singles and with a bit more of the Tormato-ish "these songs feel less memorable than our classics" going on. To reiterate one thing though: THAT'S JUST HOW I FEEL! I recognize some of these (GFTO especially) are very very loved, and there's a lot to love about each of them. They just aren't the Yes I'm usually in the mood to hear.

• Like 1

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

Going For The One is the overrated one to me. 90125 gets as much hate for being such a radical departure from their 70s sound as it does love for being a great pop/rock AOR record (with proggy tinges), so I don't think it's overrated. GFTO has Awaken, which is great, but then it has those other songs which just... to me they're like Jethro Tull post TAAB, when the all the instrumental and structural complexity started to get in the way of strong melodies and cohesive compositions. Not to say I don't enjoy the rest of the album (or Jethro Tull's work post TAAB for that matter), but to me it's the sound of a band that has passed the point of diminishing returns in pursuit of a particular sound or idea (really I think they'd started passing it on Relayer). Even Awaken doesn't really compare to CTTE or TRSOG to me, but I think a 15 minute runtime often runs the risk of feeling a bit too long or a bit too short. Oddly, I think they try to focus more on songwriting fundamentals and cooling down on the overcomplexity a bit better on Tormato, but the songs that they come up with are somehow no longer as interesting. They just feel less essential even if I find them a bit more enjoyable at face value. Then Drama is its own little strange heavy world without Jon there to remind me I'm listening to Yes (though Howe and Squire do give enough hints that I never totally forget), and then 90125 appears, and suddenly Yes are firing on all cylinders again for me. As far as Big Generator is concerned, I'm not terribly attached to it. I don't dislike it by any means, but it has a bit of "90125 2" feeling to it, but without the most massive singles and with a bit more of the Tormato-ish "these songs feel less memorable than our classics" going on. To reiterate one thing though: THAT'S JUST HOW I FEEL! I recognize some of these (GFTO especially) are very very loved, and there's a lot to love about each of them. They just aren't the Yes I'm usually in the mood to hear.

i'll stop your right there bud! i used to make this mistake a lot too - but there's a big difference between being overrated within a fanbase, and overrated within the public's eye. 90125 is definitely an overrated album.

but yeah, you could say GFTO is overrated within the fanbase, though I'd obviously disagree with that. I find GFTO, CTTE, and Relayer to be Yes's best albums and they exemplify what they do best, what they do uniquely, and do well. all their instruments play independent leads yet it all comes together, the 'epics' have their peaks and valleys and you get opposite sides of the spectrums with chaotic instrumental sections and calm mellotron accompanied Jon. i will definitely admit that GFTO had more straightforward writing than CTTE and Relayer in particular, as well as some of their earlier albums like Tales too I'm sure, but that doesn't really take away from the sense of wonder/adventure in the songs for me really, that feel is still there even if they're not going completely wild

agree with BG being 901252

• Like 1

Hey, I'm just glad to see Yes get discussed this much on this forum. I think more Rush fans who are really into AFTK up to MP would like them as long as they don't expect them to be as heavy.

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

i'll stop your right there bud! i used to make this mistake a lot too - but there's a big difference between being overrated within a fanbase, and overrated within the public's eye. 90125 is definitely an overrated album.

but yeah, you could say GFTO is overrated within the fanbase, though I'd obviously disagree with that. I find GFTO, CTTE, and Relayer to be Yes's best albums and they exemplify what they do best, what they do uniquely, and do well. all their instruments play independent leads yet it all comes together, the 'epics' have their peaks and valleys and you get opposite sides of the spectrums with chaotic instrumental sections and calm mellotron accompanied Jon. i will definitely admit that GFTO had more straightforward writing than CTTE and Relayer in particular, as well as some of their earlier albums like Tales too I'm sure, but that doesn't really take away from the sense of wonder/adventure in the songs for me really, that feel is still there even if they're not going completely wild

I just don’t see 90125 as being overrated overall. What does the t matter if many of the people who dislike it are hardcore Yes fans and that many of the people who like it are more general 80s rock audiences? I think they still balance out. It’s not like big general album ranking sites like Ultimate Classic Rock tend to put 90125 at number 1. They usually reserve the top two spots for Fragile and CTTE still. My top three are TYS, CTTE, and 90125 in that order. Relayer feels a bit too intangible to me, and I already elaborated on my feelings about GFTO. I think they’re all great, but those are my preferences.

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

I just don’t see 90125 as being overrated overall. What does the t matter if many of the people who dislike it are hardcore Yes fans and that many of the people who like it are more general 80s rock audiences? I think they still balance out. It’s not like big general album ranking sites like Ultimate Classic Rock tend to put 90125 at number 1. They usually reserve the top two spots for Fragile and CTTE still. My top three are TYS, CTTE, and 90125 in that order. Relayer feels a bit too intangible to me, and I already elaborated on my feelings about GFTO. I think they’re all great, but those are my preferences.

well it matters to me, a yes fan :unsure:

Radiohead

1. OK Computer

2. In Rainbows

3. King of Limbs

4. The Bends

5. A Moon Shaped Pool

6. Kid A

7. Amnesiac

8. Hail to the Thief

9. Pablo Honey

I used to think much higher of Amnesiac, that's the only real difference in how I've ranked this band's albums over the years

• Like 1

1. Going For The One

2. Close To The Edge

3. Relayer

4. Fragile

5. The Yes Album

6. Time and a Word

8. Tormato

9. Drama

10. 90125

11. Magnification

12. Yes

well it matters to me, a yes fan :unsure:

I'm a decently big Yes fan as well. I'm just saying, if we're looking at the numbers of the thing, the ratio of hardcore Yes fans talking about 90125 to general audiences talking about 90125 over the past couple decades is probably pretty close to 1:1. If we assume most hardcore Yes fans are more into their proggier stuff and aren't as pleased with 90125 and BG, and if we assume most members of the general audiences category know of Yes by their biggest hits and are probably pretty big fans of 90125, that would balance the overall group opinion of the album out to be kinda middling overall, which doesn't sound like overrated to me.

• Like 1

Ok let’s get the easiest one outta the way.

Rush - My top 5 has been firm for over 20 years. But the rest has changed over the last two years after really digging into the catalog again after Neils passing.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Hemispheres

3. Moving Pictures

4. Signals

5. Power Windows

6. Grace Under Pressure

7. 2112

8. A Farewell To Kings

9. Hold Your Fire

10. Counterparts

11. Roll The Bones

12. Fly By Night

13. Caress of Steel

14. Presto

15. Clockwork Angels

16. Snakes and Arrows

17. Rush

18. Test For Echo

19. Vapor Trails

• Like 4

Next up on the list is Porcupine Tree and only PT (not Steven Wilson solo).

1. Fear of a Blank Planet/Nil Recurring

2. Deadwing

3. In Absentia

4. Lightbulb Sun

5. Stupid Dream

6. The Incident

7. Signify

8. The Sky Moves Sidways

9. On The Sunday of Life

10. Up The Downstair

11. Metanoia

• Like 2

The Black Crowes

1. The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion

2. Amorica

3. Lions

4. Three Snakes And A Charm

5. Shake Your Money Maker

6. By Your Side

7. Warpaint

8.Before The Frost....Until The Freeze

Dream Theater

1. Metropolis PT2 Scenes From A Memory

2. Train of Thought

3. Images and Words

4. Distance To Here

5. Octavarium

6. Awake

7. A Dramatic Turn of Events

8. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance

9. Dream Theater

10. Black Clouds And Silver Linings

11. A View From The Top of The World

12. A Change of Seasons

13. Falling Into Infinity

14. The Astonishing

• Like 2

In honor of Taylor Hawkins.

Foo Fighters

1. There is Nothing Left To Leave Behind

2. Echos, Silence, Patience & Grace

3. Wasting Light

4. Sonic Highways

5. The Color and The Shape

6. One by One

7. Foo Fighters

8. Concrete and Gold

9. In Your Honor

10. Medicine At Midnight

• Like 3

Blind Guardian

5/5

1. Imaginations From the Other Side

2. Tales From the Twilight World

4/5

3. Nightfall in Middle Earth

4. A Night at the Opera

5. Beyond the Red Mirror

6. Somewhere Far Beyond

7. Follow the Blind

8. A Twist in the Myth

3/5

9. At the Edge of Time

10. Battalions of Fear

Sonata Arctica

this one's actually the most difficult one yet, particularly with their top albums

5/5

1. Reckoning Night

2. Winterheart's Guild

3. Silence

4. Unia

4/5

5. Ecliptica

6. Pariah's Child

7. Stones Grow Her Name

8. The Days of Grays

3/5 -- (very mediocre or even just flat out bad aside from a a limited few songs)

9. The Ninth Hour

10. Talviyo (this one's their latest and still has some growing on me to do, might change my mind on it and put it above Ninth Hour later..)