Part of Fountain Lamneth might have played during Caress of Steel Tour

movinghemispheres

I've been reading Wandering the Face of the Earth (great, great book btw!!) and although they state that there was no evidence of any part of The Fountain of Lamneth ever being performed live and that crew recollections support that it wasn't, the review of the show of November 4 1975 by UTE News has this info that makes me wonder that after all it might have been played!

Here is the quote of the UTE News in the book that got me thinking about it:

"Several of the tunes perfomed Tuesday dragged and plodded semi-melodically while vocalist Lee tried to keep up, screaming lyrics like: Panacea-passion pure/I can't resist your gentle lure..."

I can't think of any reason why the author would have invented this passage!

Well, in the end the whole story of this song being or not being played live will probably remain a mystery but I found this information quite interesting

• Like 1

I've been reading Wandering the Face of the Earth (great, great book btw!!) and although they state that there was no evidence of any part of The Fountain of Lamneth ever being performed live and that crew recollections support that it wasn't, the review of the show of November 4 1975 by UTE News has this info that makes me wonder that after all it might have been played!

"Several of the tunes perfomed Tuesday dragged and plodded semi-melodically while vocalist Lee tried to keep up, screaming lyrics like: Panacea-passion pure/I can't resist your gentle lure..."

Well, in the end the whole story of this song being or not being played live will probably remain a mystery but I found this information quite interesting

It's possible he did some research listening to the new record before-hand, hated it for whatever reason and decided to skip the show and write a fake review.

• Like 2

And the plot thickens.

• Like 1

It's possible he did some research listening to the new record before-hand, hated it for whatever reason and decided to skip the show and write a fake review.

That's how it sounded to me.

It's a shame nobody thought to document those years, but understandable since moral was low and their career at that time was hovering over the crapper.

It's a shame nobody thought to document those years, but understandable since moral was low and their career at that time was hovering over the crapper.

I heard it got so bad that at one point during a show they abruptly abandoned Lamneth and started playing a "free-form jazz exploration."

• Like 5

I heard it got so bad that at one point during a show they abruptly abandoned Lamneth and started playing a "free-form jazz exploration."

"He wrote this!"

• Like 1

"He wrote this!"

Yes. Geddy gave Alex sole writing credit on that one.

They also had issues with their stage show.

tenor.gif?itemid=13622524

• Like 1

there's a thread somewhere here way back that I started. It had a link to a review of a show played in Michigan and the reviewer quoted a line from No One at the Bridge that Geddy sang that night. As well a poster hee who has seen Rush on every tour since the beginning says they played parts of Lamneth throughout the evening at their Massey Hall show during the CoS tour - just not all together. So I'm quite sure they played portions of the tune - just no solid aural evidence yet.
  • Like 2

I would be curious to know if the Rush members can remember what shows they played parts of that song because they were probably stoned at that time. :smoke:

I would be curious to know if the Rush members can remember what shows they played parts of that song because they were probably stoned at that time. :smoke:

Ha...I’d say even if they weren’t, to ask them if they remember specific shows for the musical content, on a tour that was 44 years ago at this point and that they uniformly despised, for the general state of affairs at that time, is highly unlikely.

• Like 1

I remember Neil doing an interview around the time of the T4E tour and saying "We're playing songs we've never played live like Natural Science" . Shit man, that song was played every night for 2 tours in the early eighties. Can't rely on musicians memories for that sort of thing.

• Like 2

there's a thread somewhere here way back that I started. It had a link to a review of a show played in Michigan and the reviewer quoted a line from No One at the Bridge that Geddy sang that night. As well a poster hee who has seen Rush on every tour since the beginning says they played parts of Lamneth throughout the evening at their Massey Hall show during the CoS tour - just not all together. So I'm quite sure they played portions of the tune - just no solid aural evidence yet.

Entirely possible. It's highly likely by now that we'll never know for sure.

I remember Neil doing an interview around the time of the T4E tour and saying "We're playing songs we've never played live like Natural Science" . Shit man, that song was played every night for 2 tours in the early eighties. Can't rely on musicians memories for that sort of thing.

That was one of many moments I realized that maybe I was obsessed with this band.

Recollections are great and can be very revealing but you need to augment them with comments from the era being recollected to get a more balanced picture.

Little of that is the case with the Caress of Steel Tour.

I heard a rumor that it was indeed played live. Problem is, nobody can confirm or prove it as false. One guy on Reddit who attended a Show during the Caress Of Steel Tour in Austin, Texas, (near where I live) claims it was played live. He said that it was played as a medley, not the whole song. So it’s possible, but no other bootlegs or setlists minus 1 have surfaced to prove this claim. So we may never know for sure.

• Like 2