Good Horror Movies

circumstantial tree

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sundog @ Oct 27 2005, 09:37 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 27 2005, 09:28 AM)
If you like good ol' ghost stories.....  I HIGHLY recommend an old movie from the early seventies called The Changeling.

Quick storyline....

A music professor from NY suffers a great tragedy which moves him to a different city.  Through contacts with the local historical society, he rents a secluded mansion which has been empty for years.

The problem...... he is not alone.

No major special effects or scenes of gore.  Just a great ghost story.

Pags! I love this movie! Circumstancial Tree and I were discussing it the other day, and yes.gif it is one of the best scary ghost stories out there!

Listen to the man, go and rent it! smile.gif

OMG somebody actually KNOWS of this movie???

COOL

To this day..... my wife REFUSES to have anything to do with old style bath tubs

HAHA laugh.gif

Sun and CT trink39.gif

Yeah, I remember the movie!

Pags, I think you and I remember because we're the same age and I suspect that sundog is also.

I wouldn't mind discussing this movie more with you or sundog but on an open forum that would spoil the plot of the movie for those who haven't seen it.

Didn't it come out in 1979?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 27 2005, 11:16 AM)
I've seen this one as well and it is indeed a well made ghost story....My Grandma LOVES this movie....

CT u were close..it actually came out in 1980. Another good one from that year is the original The Fog. The remake has just been released recently.

I saw 1980 on the web as well, but always thought it was from earlier, like '74 or '75. So what I did was call home. We have it on a DVD and I just called home to ask my wife to check the back of the case.... AND SHE DIDN'T EVEN WANT TO TOUCH IT. HAHA!!! That movie freaks her out sooo bad.

Anyway, it only showed 2000 as the DVD release date. No help there.

Ok, so 1980 it is... I've always known this movie from HBO. When I was younger they played this movie constantly. I've probably watched it 100 times, and it still gives me chills.

Yeah, I already own "The Fog" on DVD. I purchased it over the weekend. It's one of my alltime favorite movies.

Debra Hill produced the original and the remake. Although, I read a scathing review by one person who said that the remake was absolutely dreadful with poor acting. He gave the remake a 1 out of 10.

The DVD shows the making of "The Fog" (original) which was interesting to view.

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 27 2005, 11:06 AM)
Sun and CT trink39.gif

trink39.gif Backatcha!

Pags, I think you and I remember because we're the same age and I suspect that sundog is also.

I wouldn't mind discussing this movie more with you or sundog but on an open forum that would spoil the plot of the movie for those who haven't seen it.

Sure! Ooooo we could have a viewing party, and discuss it in chat or on yahoo. Then we wouldn't ruin it for anyone that wants to see it! smile.gif

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Oct 27 2005, 12:20 PM)
How many people were scared to go swimming after JAWS came out?

I saw it when I was 8. Nightmares followed.

I never saw the movie when it was released. I wouldn't have been allowed to go.

Although my older sister made sure that I was scared to go into the water at the beach saying there could be sharks out there.

QUOTE (dweezil @ Oct 27 2005, 01:03 PM)
You know a real scary f***ing film?

Legally Blonde scared.gif

Man, I refused to see that and changed the channel when the commercials came on.

It's very scary the shit that they put out for movies these days. scared.gif

Run!!! It's the big blonde bimbo! bolt.gif

QUOTE (Pratt Boy @ Oct 27 2005, 09:20 AM)
How many people were scared to go swimming after JAWS came out?

I saw it when I was 8. Nightmares followed.

Me too, I'm still scared of sharks. My Dad took me to see it when it was released when I was in the 4th grade, I was 9. Not a good decision onhis part. no.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 27 2005, 11:48 AM)
Yeah, I already own "The Fog" on DVD. I purchased it over the weekend. It's one of my alltime favorite movies.

Debra Hill produced the original and the remake. Although, I read a scathing review by one person who said that the remake was absolutely dreadful with poor acting. He gave the remake a 1 out of 10.

The DVD shows the making of "The Fog" (original) which was interesting to view.

HUGE fan of the original FOG. Carpenter made awesome movies. The Thing is another.

I loved Clive Barker's Hellraiser series. Those movies were totally f*cked up. Other movies that scared the shit out of me were obviously Excorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Amityville, Halloween, and the Omens. There were always B movies out there that you could catch on cable that were quite intense also. Some of these were better than any of the major films. There was this B vampire movie that i can't remember to save my life, but I loved it. The "hero" was a hybrid vamp/human played by William Smith (RICH MAN/POOR MAN). His "father", the vampire searches for him during the movie and winds up being his college professor. The end is such a great horror ending. Just loved it.

Oh, the movie is called GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE or SEED OF TERROR in it's USA reissue. Man, i just love google.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 27 2005, 08:44 PM)
I loved Clive Barker's Hellraiser series. Those movies were totally f*cked up. Other movies that scared the shit out of me were obviously Excorcist, Rosemary's Baby, Amityville, Halloween, and the Omens. There were always B movies out there that you could catch on cable that were quite intense also. Some of these were better than any of the major films. There was this B vampire movie that i can't remember to save my life, but I loved it. The "hero" was a hybrid vamp/human played by William Smith (RICH MAN/POOR MAN). His "father", the vampire searches for him during the movie and winds up being his college professor. The end is such a great horror ending. Just loved it.

Oh, the movie is called GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE or SEED OF TERROR in it's USA reissue. Man, i just love google.

I remember seeing that when I was a kid..Is that the one where he was conceived as a result of the vampire raping the woman in the graveyard? And the guy ate raw meat to satisfy his "vampire hunger"?

QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 27 2005, 08:28 AM)
If you like good ol' ghost stories.....  I HIGHLY recommend an old movie from the early seventies called The Changeling.

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_fl.jpg
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_shot2s.jpg

Quick storyline....

A music professor from NY suffers a great tragedy which moves him to a different city.  Through contacts with the local historical society, he rents a secluded mansion which has been empty for years.

I don't think I could ever watch this movie again.

It frightened me that much.

When George C. Scott goes and throws that ball away and comes back home just to see it bouncing back down the stairs again....

Egads! No, I'm sorry, I'm outta there. I would not even pack. I would run like the wind.

Not to mention the fact that the kid was drowned because he was handicapped. A great ghost story that also included sociological issues.

That was a great ghost story!

Edited by war2112

QUOTE (pixey @ Oct 26 2005, 08:22 PM)

http://djuna.nkino.com/movies/g/ginger_snaps_1.jpg
Ginger Snaps a Horror Comedy film.

I dont like scary movies, I just what are supposed to be the good ones. doh.gif

This is a F***in' trippy movie. Very strange & bizarre, I loved it. It is rather a dark one.

QUOTE (war2112 @ Oct 28 2005, 02:46 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Oct 27 2005, 08:28 AM)

http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_fl.jpg
http://www.horrordvds.com/reviews/a-m/changeling/changeling_shot2s.jpg

Quick storyline....

I don't think I could ever watch this movie again.

It frightened me that much.

That was a great ghost story!

WAR!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Dude - I love that the movie scared you like that, but why give so much away to those who didn't see it yet??

Can you edit that post and remove??? Sheesh!! laugh.gif tongue.gif

If you haven't figured this out yet, I love finding out background info regarding movies. Concerning "The Changeling" I'd love to know where that house is located.

Love the Books Of Blood Series! Wonder if we will ever see the shorts made into movies, kinda like Creepshow. I really like the story about the guy who kidnaps people and makes them face their fears, particularly the girl who is vegetarian and gives her a side of beef that just sits there and she has to eat it. Way cool!!!!