Concert memories of Rush shows you attended

TheGhostRider

One of the late 70's Maple Leaf gardens shows. I was in high school and not quite a veteran drinker yet. I decided I was going to get loaded for the concert and took a few of dad's warm beers out beside the house and downed them before I went. I spent the whole show throwing up (sorry neighbors) between my legs with my head down. The only part of that concert I remember was the intro to A Passage to Bangkok. I remember holding one hand high and giving a cheer...and then resuming my previous position. If that was the only time I saw them in the 70's I would be pretty unhappy with myself!
  • Like 1

I am so glad I documented this. Had no idea what to expect when I flew in, but was given such a gift. In many ways the sadness I feel with Neil's passing is assauged by watching this

https://youtu.be/uR6Ja7JgvpI

Dude, this is so awesome - thank you so much for sharing :cheers:

Glad you enjoyed that. I know I certainly enjoyed the interactions and meeting interesting folks from TRF. Like I said, it was a gift of eternal magnitude to go. Funny thing, when I met one TRF'r, she was expecting someone who looked like Yosemite Sam.

Yosemite Sam. My posts inspire the image of the Yosemite Sam. WOW!

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Some random thoughts:

- Geddy during the Time Machine Tour getting tons of applause during the vocals that he did at the end of the solo break of Freewill

- The Camera Eye live. That is all

- Neil going to the front of the stage to bow at the LA Forum Show

- Xanadu, Hemispheres (at least part of it) and Jacob's Ladder live

And most importantly:

- Hollywood Bowl 2007, my second concert ever and seeing Rush with my dad which kicked off our tradition of seeing Rush live every time they came to Southern California

• Like 2

First concert...1982 on the Signals tour when I was in college. Not having a car and taking the city bus to the arena :facepalm: . Fully expecting to have to hitch hike back to the dorm but met up with some dorm buddies that gave me a lift. Standing room on the floor and was able to wiggle my way to about 20 feet from the stage.

R40 tour...random Ticketmaster seat selection of Row 21, Seat 12.

• Like 4

So many great memories with so many great people but if I had to pick one it would have to be Cincinnati June 30, 2008 with what was then my 7 year old daughter. Alex gave her a pick and she, now almost 19 years old, still has it framed with our tickets and the picture taken from stage. (Thanks to Sundog for getting me the original pic and thanks to Alex for helping to create such a great memory for us!)

IMG-3663.jpg

Rush-Cincinnati-5.jpg

I had a similar experience with my daughter when she was five during the T4E tour in Nashville. We had seats in the 5th row on Alex’s side. Sam colored a picture of Alex playing a PRS guitar on the way to Nashville after seeing the Cincinnati show the night before. Security let her set it up on the edge of the stage and Alex noticed it during Natural Science. He looked down at it for a few and when he looked up, he had a huge smile on his face. Sam was so EXCITED! Our seats were on the very outside of our row and she was standing there waving at him. He saw her and motioned for her to come up to the stage. He made faces at her while he played then tossed her his pick. Alex’s tech came out and got the drawing. It ended up on Geddy’s refrigerator later in the show. She was so excited! A little later, one of the roadies brought her out a set of sticks from Neil too. From that night on, Rush has been her favorite. Sam is 28 now. We got to see Rush together close to 35 times and created life long memories. We cried together the day we found out about Neil.

• Like 4

So many great memories with so many great people but if I had to pick one it would have to be Cincinnati June 30, 2008 with what was then my 7 year old daughter. Alex gave her a pick and she, now almost 19 years old, still has it framed with our tickets and the picture taken from stage. (Thanks to Sundog for getting me the original pic and thanks to Alex for helping to create such a great memory for us!)

IMG-3663.jpg

Rush-Cincinnati-5.jpg

I had a similar experience with my daughter when she was five during the T4E tour in Nashville. We had seats in the 5th row on Alex’s side. Sam colored a picture of Alex playing a PRS guitar on the way to Nashville after seeing the Cincinnati show the night before. Security let her set it up on the edge of the stage and Alex noticed it during Natural Science. He looked down at it for a few and when he looked up, he had a huge smile on his face. Sam was so EXCITED! Our seats were on the very outside of our row and she was standing there waving at him. He saw her and motioned for her to come up to the stage. He made faces at her while he played then tossed her his pick. Alex’s tech came out and got the drawing. It ended up on Geddy’s refrigerator later in the show. She was so excited! A little later, one of the roadies brought her out a set of sticks from Neil too. From that night on, Rush has been her favorite. Sam is 28 now. We got to see Rush together close to 35 times and created life long memories. We cried together the day we found out about Neil.

That is just tremendous, JD, just outstanding, that’s incredible!

And both you and RushRevisited talking about shows in Cincinnati...I’m sorry we haven’t met!

• Like 3

I am curious to hear from other users here what were your first and best memories from Rush concerts you went to. It can be anything at all, as long as it was memorable to you that you still recall it or found it the highlight of the show etc. I am a huge Rush fan and I really enjoy hearing stories from other fans and their experiences.

First show: 4/1/83 in Hartford, I was 14. Knew nothing about the band, it was my first rock concert and was tagging along with a couple of my friends. I was a bit of a space nut at the time, so when I heard them play Countdown with the video screen...well, that was it!

Most memorable show: 2008 at Red Rocks. How could a show at Red Rocks not be memorable?

Best show: 2010 at Mohegan Sun. I was something like 12th row which is the closest I have ever been. My son attended as well, in utero :)

Last show: R40, Boston

In total I saw 20 shows on 12 tours. I had a ticket to a 2012 show in Bridgeport, but I temporarily lost hearing in my left ear due to a virus, and the doctor said I shouldn't go.

Which in retrospect was a real bummer because if I had gone it would have made 21 shows, 12 tours.

• Like 2

One of many memories...

RTB-Tour, Köln (Cologne) 1992.

Primus was so heavily booed off of the stage that I really felt sorry for them. They were fantastic on every single night of the five RTB shows I saw. Rush (and me) had a fun time at this show. A lot of goovin' from Alex, mostly by showing everyone that he's wearing a Primus shirt under his blazer. Never saw a main act, supporting his support act like that. Cool gesture and very funny.

Still have all of my tickets and this is one I want to share here, because it's a beauty...

MmFS68O.jpg