Concert memories of Rush shows you attended

TheGhostRider

August 2007 at Woodlands in Houston. Temperature at showtime was around 90 degrees with 65% humidity. Unlike those of us in the crowd, the band spent the time before the show in air conditioning. So when they hit the hot stage it was brutal. I distinctly remember Alex sweating profusely, with sweat just dripping down his forehead and into his eyes. To this day I cannot imagine how he managed to play ... he was cringing and obviously his eyes were stinging.

For whatever reason it didn't appear that Geddy was suffering like that, and Neil was wearing his African beanie (or whatever it's called) so he manged to avoid the sweat deluge. But man o man, Alex deserves a medal for making it through that ordeal...

Similar situation at Hershey Stadium on SNA Leg 2 - July 08. Though Alex seems to have done better that day. He looked like he was having fun, despite sweating buckets.

Geddy - smooth man, smooth. Though I have pictures of him from that show where there's a waterfall of sweat rolling down the front of #1. I'm surprised his pickups didn't short out.

• Like 1

August 2007 at Woodlands in Houston. Temperature at showtime was around 90 degrees with 65% humidity. Unlike those of us in the crowd, the band spent the time before the show in air conditioning. So when they hit the hot stage it was brutal. I distinctly remember Alex sweating profusely, with sweat just dripping down his forehead and into his eyes. To this day I cannot imagine how he managed to play ... he was cringing and obviously his eyes were stinging.

For whatever reason it didn't appear that Geddy was suffering like that, and Neil was wearing his African beanie (or whatever it's called) so he manged to avoid the sweat deluge. But man o man, Alex deserves a medal for making it through that ordeal...

Similar situation at Hershey Stadium on SNA Leg 2 - July 08. Though Alex seems to have done better that day. He looked like he was having fun, despite sweating buckets.

Geddy - smooth man, smooth. Though I have pictures of him from that show where there's a waterfall of sweat rolling down the front of #1. I'm surprised his pickups didn't short out.

I was at that Hershey show. Amazing performance, but HOT night. Always wondered why they didn't hold the show 100 yards away in the nice, air-conditioned arena.

Glad you started this discussion.

I have a few clear memories of the Vapor Trails show in Marysville, CA. I also saw the Rush 30 show and the Snakes and Arrows show at the same exact venue.

SADLY due to several stressful years and health problems I have barely any recollection of the last 2 shows!!!! Whatever exact part of my brain held the memories for the last shows has "let go" of most of those memories. Might be aging too.

It's so sad to me. I should have taken pics, didn't think to do so. Should have journaled about it, didn't do it.

I've seen Rush in the Gorge a couple of times. Weather there can be great or pretty awful usually due to windstorms. The T4E show was awesome. The best I could hope for. The weather was great, the boys were on their "A" game that day, and they played the 2112 Overture. The S&A show was during a wicked windstorm that played hell with the sound. I remember watching Alex continually looking up as the overhead P.A. system kept swinging back and forth over him. Saw a brawl with a deaf guy.

Saw the VT tour there and the last show of the 2nd leg of the TM tour. Had great weather for both and I felt fortunate that was the case.

First show I ever seen Aug 27th 1974 at the Grandstand Mn State Fair. I was in awe watching this but, as with age photographic memory fades, but the music still prevails...

Lifeson’s 21st birthday!

Back then I didn't care how old Alex was, all I knew is that I enjoyed the music of the time with alot of enthusiasm. Well maybe a bit of the funny stuff also, but I was more than worth it.

I was lucky enough to be around since the very early days and old enough to get it. I still remember when they played bars in Toronto although I was too young to get in. My first show was a classic - ATWAS at Massey Hall. I remember very little from the show other than the giganticness of three guys on that small stage in that small venue. My best memories are the annual New Year's Eve shows at Maple Leaf Gardens. Also a weird outdoor show at Varsity Stadium in the rain.

I would have liked to have seen them on ATWAS. Back when they were three young men with just their instruments and energy. I bet that was fun!
  • Like 2

I was lucky enough to be around since the very early days and old enough to get it. I still remember when they played bars in Toronto although I was too young to get in. My first show was a classic - ATWAS at Massey Hall. I remember very little from the show other than the giganticness of three guys on that small stage in that small venue. My best memories are the annual New Year's Eve shows at Maple Leaf Gardens. Also a weird outdoor show at Varsity Stadium in the rain.

I would have liked to have seen them on ATWAS. Back when they were three young men with just their instruments and energy. I bet that was fun!

Whether it is just nostalgia or whatever, Rush in the 70's was unequalled.

• Like 1

It recently occurred to me it has been almost 41 years since I saw a certain three man band from Toronto for the first time.

It was a cold night in February ‘79 at the Asheville, NC Civic Center, and this 17 year old bumpkin’s first concert.....of any kind! (What a way to start a concert going career, huh?!)

Several high school acquaintances made the long journey to the “big city” that evening. Over half the distance at the time was on sketchy two lane roads.

Classmate Sharon Painter was a big fan of the opening act, Head East, and had been talking all week about how they were going to “blow Rush off the stage”. Being my first concert, I was duly impressed by Head East’s set.....Then our boys came out and launched into “Anthem”.

Everything was immediately at a different level, and life would never be the same!

At some point near mid-song, I managed a sideways glance at Sharon, and caught the look of jaw-dropped amazement on her face. After that first song I turned and gave her a look of: “so, what do you think now?” She sheepishly smiled and nodded approvingly.

This was a stop on the Hemispheres tour, and what a setlist it was! Keep in mind this was before “Tom Sawyer”, “The Spirit of Radio”, “Subdivisions”, etc. were even glimmers in the boys’ eyes!

Unfortunately, I did not save the ticket stub, but I believe admission was $10.

I did, however, manage to catch one of the two sticks Neil tossed to the crowd at the end of the show, and still have it to this day.

Edited by Johnny Gilbert
  • Like 2

It recently occurred to me it has been almost 41 years since I saw a certain three man band from Toronto for the first time.

It was a cold night in February ‘79 at the Asheville, NC Civic Center, and this 17 year old bumpkin’s first concert.....of any kind! (What a way to start a concert going career, huh?!)

Several high school acquaintances made the long journey to the “big city” that evening. Over half the distance at the time was on sketchy two lane roads.

Classmate Sharon Painter was a big fan of the opening act, Head East, and had been talking all week about how they were going to “blow Rush off the stage”. Being my first concert, I was duly impressed by Head East’s set.....Then our boys came out and launched into “Anthem”.

Everything was immediately at a different level, and life would never be the same!

At some point near mid-song, I managed a sideways glance at Sharon, and caught the look of jaw-dropped amazement on her face. After that first song I turned and gave her a look of: “so, what do you think now?” She sheepishly smiled and nodded approvingly.

This was a stop on the Hemispheres tour, and what a setlist it was! Keep in mind this was before “Tom Sawyer”, “The Spirit of Radio”, “Subdivisions”, etc. were even glimmers in the boys’ eyes!

Unfortunately, I did not save the ticket stub, but I believe admission was $10.

I did, however, manage to catch one of the two sticks Neil tossed to the crowd at the end of the show, and still have it to this day.

You are a fortunate man, Johnny! :)

• Like 1

I am curious to hear from other users here what were your first and best memories from Rush concerts you went to. It can be anything at all, as long as it was memorable to you that you still recall it or found it the highlight of the show etc. I am a huge Rush fan and I really enjoy hearing stories from other fans and their exp

My first Rush concert was during the Time Machine Tour. I saw that at the AT&T Center In San Antonio, Texas on September 23, 2010. I was 8 years old. I was supposed to see them during the Clockwork Angels tour, but it ended up not working out. I was super disappointed. Thankfully I saw them again during R40, at the 360Amphitheatre in Austin, Texas. I was 13 that time. I would have loved to see them more times, but I’m so thankful to have been able to have seen them at least twice.

Edited by TheGhostRider

So many great memories with so many great people but if I had to pick one it would have to be Cincinnati June 30, 2008 with what was then my 7 year old daughter. Alex gave her a pick and she, now almost 19 years old, still has it framed with our tickets and the picture taken from stage. (Thanks to Sundog for getting me the original pic and thanks to Alex for helping to create such a great memory for us!)

IMG-3663.jpg

Rush-Cincinnati-5.jpg

• Like 8

I like this one. Pretty good

https://youtu.be/AuGCEGMqxYo?t=10

Though this was pretty cool

https://youtu.be/DOvX-j4F5dc

Mmmm. This one's good too

https://youtu.be/Ycdx985H3hg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

Oh yeah, I also experienced "Still No Guitar" (

)! Going right back into La Villa Strangiato was EPIC.

That's uncomfortable to watch. You can tell Alex is pissed off the entire rest of the song and just wants to get it over with and Geddy is still trying to keep the peace and have fun but knows Alex is not in a good mood

• Like 2

I've seen Rush in the Gorge a couple of times. Weather there can be great or pretty awful usually due to windstorms. The T4E show was awesome. The best I could hope for. The weather was great, the boys were on their "A" game that day, and they played the 2112 Overture. The S&A show was during a wicked windstorm that played hell with the sound. I remember watching Alex continually looking up as the overhead P.A. system kept swinging back and forth over him. Saw a brawl with a deaf guy.

I was at that show! :haz: Geddy's side toward the back. It is one of my greatest Rush memories. I remember the sky as the sun went down and they played Resist, back when they did it as a three piece. The lighting with the Columbia River in the background is an indelible memory.

I lost my mind when they played 2112 and later too, just after I'd found it, for Natural Science :heart:

What a night!

I am so glad I documented this. Had no idea what to expect when I flew in, but was given such a gift. In many ways the sadness I feel with Neil's passing is assauged by watching this

https://youtu.be/uR6Ja7JgvpI

• Like 2

I am so glad I documented this. Had no idea what to expect when I flew in, but was given such a gift. In many ways the sadness I feel with Neil's passing is assauged by watching this

Dude, this is so awesome - thank you so much for sharing :cheers:

• Like 3

Dude, this is so awesome - thank you so much for sharing :cheers:

Agreed! I had no idea you did that, TM (if you posted anything at the time, I just missed it).

• Like 2