Greatest southern rock band of all time!

Entre_Perpetuo

Which one  

37 members have voted

1. 1. is the best

• Lynyrd Skynyrd
    • Creedence Clearwater Revival
    • Allman Brothers' Band
    • The Eagles
    • The Black Crowes
    • ZZ Top
    • Molly Hatchet
    • The Marshall Tucker Band
    • Little Feat
    • Doobie Brothers
    • .38 Special
    • Alabama Shakes
    • Blackfoot
    • Kings Of Leon
    • Georgia Satellites
    • Wet Willie
    • Black Oak Arkansas
    • Gov't Mule
    • Drive-By Truckers
    • The Outlaws (by request)

I'm surprised how many artists just can't get any votes.

Looks a little surprising too, but Skynyrd and the ABB are typically the first bands you think of when one mentions southern rock.

If I had to vote for a current band (as opposed to bands of all time), Gov't Mule would get my vote.

Had to go with the Allman Brothers. Had the pleasure of seeing them over 25 times, including their final show at the Beacon in NY. The talent they had with Warren/Derek/Oteil bookended with Duane/Berry. Not much of a Dickey fan, but he wrote many of my favorite songs of all time. Plus he turned a blues/jazz/rock band into a country/rock band.

Shame I can't also vote for Gov't Mule and The Black Crowes. I've also seen Mule over 25 times and the Crowes about 20. The Crowes with Luther Dickinson is my cup of tea. Shame it only lasted about 4 years. Too bad Chris is such a douchebag.

The Crowes are touring in 2020.

Yep

https://www.pollstar...ingDates&page=0

Seems like a money grab to me. Of course I'm still going (will be at the Bristow show). I ordered the Steve Gorman book a couple weeks ago. Should be showing up any day.

Saweettt! That's must see for me. Hoping Marc Ford will be included. I saw The Magpie Salute at a small local venue. Good gig, but man such a small crowd. Obviously the brothers don't have the drawing power that they do together. $20 says they have separate buses and aren't around each other more than they have to be.

This picture can be captioned "I can't believe I have to put up with this asshole again."

3ba3615f-6b0e-425b-8aae-4f9e5ad4969a_1203941_RETINA_PORTRAIT_16_9.jpg?width=400&height=225&fit=crop&auto=webp

I thumbed through the book. Being such a fan of the Warpaint/Before The Frost era, I was curious with Steve thought about Luther Dickinson. There was only about 3 pages on that era. Nothing but good things to say about Luther and overall how great he thought the band was during that time. One thing I did learn (which I was always wondering about) was if Luther was kicked out of the band or if he quit. According to Steve, Luther left on his own and thus Jackie Greene was brought on board.

I really enjoyed the Magpie Salute show I saw. It was in a 1500 seat theater style show (without seats on the floor). Same place I saw the Crowes several times. My girlfriend (at the time) is a huge Chris Robinson fan so I had to go to many CRB shows with her. They were okay. Magpie Salute so much better. I'd check for Magpie Salute tour dates every couple weeks for the last 6 months. With CRB broken up and no Magpie Salute dates (and they just released an album), it seemed somewhat obvious that the Crowes were getting back together.

There are videos on youtube (and from the Howard Stern interview) from their recent show where you can see the new lineup (all new members). Heaven forbid Chris has someone in the band making something other than minimum wage. And you are correct in that there is no chance the brothers will be on the same tour bus.

• Like 1

Had to go with the Allman Brothers. Had the pleasure of seeing them over 25 times, including their final show at the Beacon in NY. The talent they had with Warren/Derek/Oteil bookended with Duane/Berry. Not much of a Dickey fan, but he wrote many of my favorite songs of all time. Plus he turned a blues/jazz/rock band into a country/rock band.

Shame I can't also vote for Gov't Mule and The Black Crowes. I've also seen Mule over 25 times and the Crowes about 20. The Crowes with Luther Dickinson is my cup of tea. Shame it only lasted about 4 years. Too bad Chris is such a douchebag.

The Crowes are touring in 2020.

Yep

https://www.pollstar...ingDates&page=0

Seems like a money grab to me. Of course I'm still going (will be at the Bristow show). I ordered the Steve Gorman book a couple weeks ago. Should be showing up any day.

Saweettt! That's must see for me. Hoping Marc Ford will be included. I saw The Magpie Salute at a small local venue. Good gig, but man such a small crowd. Obviously the brothers don't have the drawing power that they do together. $20 says they have separate buses and aren't around each other more than they have to be.

This picture can be captioned "I can't believe I have to put up with this asshole again."

3ba3615f-6b0e-425b-8aae-4f9e5ad4969a_1203941_RETINA_PORTRAIT_16_9.jpg?width=400&height=225&fit=crop&auto=webp

I thumbed through the book. Being such a fan of the Warpaint/Before The Frost era, I was curious with Steve thought about Luther Dickinson. There was only about 3 pages on that era. Nothing but good things to say about Luther and overall how great he thought the band was during that time. One thing I did learn (which I was always wondering about) was if Luther was kicked out of the band or if he quit. According to Steve, Luther left on his own and thus Jackie Greene was brought on board.

I really enjoyed the Magpie Salute show I saw. It was in a 1500 seat theater style show (without seats on the floor). Same place I saw the Crowes several times. My girlfriend (at the time) is a huge Chris Robinson fan so I had to go to many CRB shows with her. They were okay. Magpie Salute so much better. I'd check for Magpie Salute tour dates every couple weeks for the last 6 months. With CRB broken up and no Magpie Salute dates (and they just released an album), it seemed somewhat obvious that the Crowes were getting back together.

There are videos on youtube (and from the Howard Stern interview) from their recent show where you can see the new lineup (all new members). Heaven forbid Chris has someone in the band making something other than minimum wage. And you are correct in that there is no chance the brothers will be on the same tour bus.

I'm actually rethinking about going. Steve Gorman slammed this as a moneygrab and he's right. Shake your moneymaker is pretty basic and really not very diverse. So the tour sounds like...lets hire a bunch of cheap guys that won't bitch and do a tribute band tour. Meh.

I'll have to examine the set list before buying tickets.really disappointed with no Marc ford. He was probably wise to avoid this.

Edited by HemiBeers

I would vote for either Skynyrd or Allman Bros but as the vote is close between them, and I'm far from an expert on either, I'll stay out of it. Clearly though, it seems to me, it's one of those two.

It's Skinerd and it ain't even close. The chatter about others being the best is good debate, but it's SKINERD!

What is this Skinerd band you are referring to?? Fillmore East is greater than anything Skynyrd ever put out. And it ain't even close.

• Like 1

CCR.

How did Twisted Sister not make the list? Band from the south shore of LI

Twisted Sister? They're as purely hair metal as hair metal gets. Nothing very southern sounding about We're Not Gonna Take It.

Creedence has that swampy southern sound but are from the Bay area.

Choosing a fav from the list is tough. CCR, ABB and Skynyrd are all huge favorites of mine. Can't vote for just one.

Eagles and Doobies, as mentioned earlier in this thread, aren't southern rock.

• Like 1

Greatest is Skynyrd. Favorite for me would be 38 Special. Note - CCR I would not consider Southern Rock. If I did, they would be the greatest. Drive By Truckers has Southern Rock Opera - an enormously underrated album. Check it out. Glad to see The Outlaws were added to this. In some ways I like them more than Skynyrd. Green Grass & Hightides plus Their Goes Another Love Song are awesome songs.

BTW - I was lucky enough to see one Southern Rock Festival at which The Outlaws, Marshall Tucker & 38 Special all played. What a show that was! 38 Special is just wonderful live BTW - or at least was.

• Like 1

Eagles...aren't southern rock.

Early Eagles are, imo.

220px-The_Eagles_-_Desperado.jpg

All the trappings of country rock including sound, lyrics, image. Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Take It To The Limit, Tequila Sunrise, Desperado... Their country stuff was a big reason I didn't like them till Hotel CA.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Early Eagles are, imo.

All the trappings of country rock including sound, lyrics, image. Take It Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Take It To The Limit, Tequila Sunrise, Desperado... Their country stuff was a big reason I didn't like them till Hotel CA.

Also when they got the coolest member of that band ever.

AGSC7ah.gif

• Like 2

Early Eagles are, imo.

Agree, but as a whole of their career they aren't and thus to me don't qualify. As inferred in the post below yours, the addition of the most wonderful Joe Walsh changed the band a lot and like you I believe for the better. I like the earlier stuff too but.........

Edited by driventotheedge

A lot of good choices. The Allman Brothers are quite the standard bearers. I like ZZ Top, Blackfoot, .38 Special, Molly Hatchet, and the Black Crowes. Thanks for mentioning Black Oak Arkansas. They got my vote.

I'm proud to say I've seen 14 of these bands including the original Skynyrd (Oct. 1976)

I count the 6 times I've seen John Fogerty as having seen Creedence cuz he was Creedence.

Dude skynyrd in 76. Incredibly awesome.

I saw them post ronnie 3 or 4 times. It was good because they were trying to replicate one more from the road. But still nothing like what you saw.

I'm proud to say I've seen 14 of these bands including the original Skynyrd (Oct. 1976)

I count the 6 times I've seen John Fogerty as having seen Creedence cuz he was Creedence.

I've been to around 300 concerts in my life and they easily are one of the 15-20 best live bands I've ever seen and that show was 43 years ago. Not to be a dick, but I saw the more recent version of the band (with BadCo) and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Edited by driventotheedge

I've been to around 300 concerts in my life and they easily are one of the 15-20 best live bands I've ever seen and that show was 43 years ago. Not to be a dick, but I saw the more recent version of the band (with BadCo) and was thoroughly unimpressed.

Yeah back in the day they were the shit

Lots of great videos floating around on youtube including the old grey whistle test? Iirc

Anyways i think its safe to say that early versions of post crash were the best.

As the original members died the music took a downward trend

Billy Powell is the man. A rock and roll piano genius.