Songs way ahead of their time?

Rutlefan

Three come immediately to mind. Each blew me away the first time I heard them, as in "This was recorded when?!?"

Velvet Underground - Venus in Furs

The Beatles - Tomorrow Never Knows (esp the Take One version)

Alex Chilton/Big Star - Kangaroo

Re the early Tomorrow Never Knows, it's so cool. I introduced a friend to The Beatles with this track. Like me at one time, he was a big Floyd and Zeppelin fan who was prejudiced against The Beatles. He loved this though. He was actually disappointed in the Revolver version after this. But, Revolver still led him to the rest of their catalog and he's now a big fan.

• Like 1

Three come immediately to mind. Each blew me away the first time I heard them, as in "This was recorded when?!?"

Re the early Tomorrow Never Knows, it's so cool. I introduced a friend to The Beatles with this track. Like me at one time, he was a big Floyd and Zeppelin fan who was prejudiced against The Beatles. He loved this though. He was actually disappointed in the Revolver version after this. But, Revolver still led him to the rest of their catalog and he's now a big fan.

http://youtu.be/YtmukKLZQUw

Do you mean there are actually young people who never heard of The Beatles? I find that amazing, but a lot of time has gone by, and that type of thing must now be expected.

Do you mean there are actually young people who never heard of The Beatles? I find that amazing, but a lot of time has gone by, and that type of thing must now be expected.

Have you seen the some of the reaction videos on YouTube? There's lots of younger people who have no clue about the old school rock legends. The Beatles are still probably one of the exceptions though. Everybody knows something from them. I used to joke when I was a teenager about how if you were born after The Beatles broke up, the doctor put a chip in your brain that made sure you knew all their songs because I couldn't figure out why I knew so many of their songs even though I was never a big fan.

He wasn't young. We were both in our mid-thirties. He, like me at one time (until college in my case), had avoided them. The hype and all, and not loving the hits that one can't avoid hearing (familiarity breads contempt), had kept him away. After hearing Revolver he had to hear more and they are now among his favorite bands. I was the same way. I think being forced to listen to the White Album and Revolver by a college buddy did it for me (a girlfriend who had me listen to MMT had been unsuccessful, though I now love MMT).

• Like 1

He wasn't young. We were both in our mid-thirties. He, like me at one time (until college in my case), had avoided them. The hype and all, and not loving the hits that one can't avoid hearing (familiarity breads contempt), had kept him away. After hearing Revolver he had to hear more and they are now among his favorite bands. I was the same way. I think being forced to listen to the White Album and Revolver by a college buddy did it for me (a girlfriend who had me listen to MMT had been unsuccessful, though I now love MMT).

I understand. I grew up with them, and that is how I felt about them. The hype and hysteria were a turn-off. Only lately have I begun to listen to them again and appreciate them for what they were.

• Like 1

Elenor Rigby

The moment where The Beatles finally did something completely, bizarrely, different, and made it sound as easy and natural as Twist And Shout.

• Like 1