Rick's gonna kill me: DLR Van Halen vs. Ozzy Black Sabbath

Entre_Perpetuo

Which band do you prefer?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. well?

• David Lee Roth era Van Halen
    • Ozzy Osborne era Black Sabbath
  2. 2. which band do you prefer looking at their whole catalogue?

3. 3. who's the better singer?

This is a really tough one. I'm going to exclude A Different Kind of Truth and 13, since they were released well after each band's prime.

I probably have to go with Van Halen. While I personally love all of the original 8 Ozzy era albums, I recognize that Tech Ex and NSD! are lesser albums. The first 6 VH albums don't have any clunkers to my ears.

Paranoid v. Fair Warning. I have to go with Fair Warning. It's one of a small handful of albums ever released that are better than Paranoid.

Catalog wise, Sabbath's Martin era and Hughes era do nothing for me, so they hurt the complete catalog. I prefer the Dio era of Sabbath to the Van Hagar era though. The Gary Cherone VH3 is better than stuff like Cross Purposes.

Neither is a better "singer." They are 2 of the best front men in history though.

Kudos EP. You couldn't have come up with a tougher match up IMO.

• Like 3

Two of the all time greats, at their best. Really depends on my mood, but I'll usually take Sabbath, so they get my vote by the slimmest of margins. But there's never been a more fun band anywhere than Dave's VH at their best. Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

I listen to full VH albums way more than full Sabbath albums. One reason is that they're shorter. Those first 6 VH albums were pretty much all killer, no filler. Eddie's noodling instrumentals were brief and on point and avoid falling into filler status.

VH proves that less is indeed more.

• Like 1

I listen to full VH albums way more than full Sabbath albums. One reason is that they're shorter. Those first 6 VH albums were pretty much all killer, no filler. Eddie's noodling instrumentals were brief and on point and avoid falling into filler status.

VH proves that less is indeed more.

The Beatles' philosophy regarding songs was always leave the listener wanting more. Van Halen did that to the fullest with their albums. I can put a Van Halen album on and play it over and over.

• Like 1

I've had about a day to let this question work itself out for me, and I still don't have an answer. I'd probably have said Van Halen a few years ago, but since I got into metal, Sabbath has proven to be worth their weight in gold. I suppose I'll say I tend to find more "filler" on VH records, but the highlights (which are many) are so great what does it matter? And Sabbath records have the opposite effect of sometimes seeming a bit too one sided, but that side is so flexible in itself that it doesn't matter. I mean...there's no right answer here.
  • Like 1

I've had about a day to let this question work itself out for me, and I still don't have an answer. I'd probably have said Van Halen a few years ago, but since I got into metal, Sabbath has proven to be worth their weight in gold. I suppose I'll say I tend to find more "filler" on VH records, but the highlights (which are many) are so great what does it matter? And Sabbath records have the opposite effect of sometimes seeming a bit too one sided, but that side is so flexible in itself that it doesn't matter. I mean...there's no right answer here.

As the poll results reflect.

• Like 1

As the poll results reflect.

Quite right. Treeduck is tied with Dave. What does that tell us? :codger:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1