Husband Had Major Stroke

Lorraine

I don't care for the skilled nursing place he is in at all. They don't work with my husband enough. He ought to be having speech therapy twice a day.

No one worked with him yesterday. As of 3:00 today, no one has worked with him yet today.

These first weeks after a stroke are critical for recovery. They are wasting precious time.

I would have done better bringing him home and going for out-patient therapy.

I do not know who to talk to remedy the situation or to get any help.

The people at the place, with few exceptions, are not very friendly. The nurse on duty five days a week reminds me of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Edited by Lorraine

I don't care for the skilled nursing place he is in at all. They don't work with my husband enough. He ought to be having speech therapy twice a day.

No one worked with him yesterday. As of 3:00 today, no one has worked with him yet today.

These first weeks after a stroke are critical for recovery. They are wasting precious time.

I would have done better bringing him home and going for out-patient therapy.

I do not know who to talk to remedy the situation or to get any help.

The people at the place, with few exceptions, are not very friendly. The nurse on duty five days a week reminds me of Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

Who is it that said he supposed to have speech therapy twice a day? If it was ordered by his primary physician or another doctor then get in contact with them and see if they can strengthen the situation out at the nursing facility.

My husband had a stroke on the left side of his brain affecting his ability to grasp the words necessary to convey what he wants to say and readily process what is said to him if it is too complicated. What we do readily and so easily all day long, he finds difficult. So he seizes upon whatever words are floating about and says them instead. When you fail to understand what he means, he gets upset because he does not understand what happened to him. As far as he is concerned, he is making perfect sense, and you're the one with the problem, not him.

Physically, there is nothing wrong at all with him. Only cognitive.

Physical therapy has nothing more they can do for him because he is normal. It's all speech therapy that has to get the brain working on rerouting itself.

The first three months after a stroke are the most critical to make the most progress. Already one month of those three months is gone.

Already this morning they were talking to me about Adult Family Homes. How could they even bring that up when they've only had my husband one week? He's only 68 years old and an able-bodied man. They want to stick him in one of those places with people that would depress the most avid new-ager? As it is, the place he is at now would depress anyone. It would take the most optimistic person to keep their chin up in there.

Tomorrow I will talk to his speech therapist and see if I can't get some results. If I can't, I'm bringing him home and taking him to outpatient therapy if we can't set up at-home therapy.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

My husband had a stroke on the left side of his brain affecting his ability to grasp the words necessary to convey what he wants to say and readily process what is said to him if it is too complicated. What we do readily and so easily all day long, he finds difficult. So he seizes upon whatever words are floating about and says them instead. When you fail to understand what he means, he gets upset because he does not understand what happened to him. As far as he is concerned, he is making perfect sense, and you're the one with the problem, not him.

Physically, there is nothing wrong at all with him. Only cognitive.

Physical therapy has nothing more they can do for him because he is normal. It's all speech therapy that has to get the brain working on rerouting itself.

The first three months after a stroke are the most critical to make the most progress. Already one month of those three months is gone.

Already this morning they were talking to me about Adult Family Homes. How could they even bring that up when they've only had my husband one week? He's only 68 years old and an able-bodied man. They want to stick him in one of those places with people that would depress the most avid new-ager? As it is, the place he is at now would depress anyone. It would take the most optimistic person to keep their chin up in there.

Tomorrow I will talk to his speech therapist and see if I can't get some results. If I can't, I'm bringing him home and taking him to outpatient therapy if we can't set up at-home therapy.

:hug2:

• Like 2

As I’ve been away for awhile yet again, I’ve just seen this thread and read the whole thing. I’m so sorry...words just can’t convey.

Of all the things imperative for his recovery, it seems that speech therapy is the greatest of those, yes.

No posts from you in this thread for going on four days is worrisome...I hope he can get the treatment that he needs, rather than simply being placed in a group home.

I’m just so sorry.

• Like 5

Hope things are improving, Lorraine.

I dunno if this is applicable to your situation, but I was able to find some good info/advice on dealing with Alzheimer's on a few online forums.

Look around though, as some of these forums are not terribly helpful.

Good luck with everything, and thinking of you.

• Like 2

We went on a "field trip" to the supermarket this morning with the other residents. The therapist wanted to see how he did outside and in a store with a lot of people and noise and decisions to make. I went my own way as I had some things to buy as well as pick up a prescription in the pharmacy.

All in all, he did well, although he's a lot like a little kid ("is it time to go back yet???"). His therapist explained to me he's like that because it is hard for him to process info and make decisions. He was in an alien atmosphere, so his reaction is "fight or flight"

The future terrifies me if he doesn't get any better.

It was one month ago this date he had the stroke.

I do wish I could disappear. I wish this was on someone else's shoulders. Really am very worn out and tired.

• Like 2

I wish there were something I could do for you, Lorraine. Thoughts and prayers.

I wish I could put into words all that I am going through inside. So many different things at the same time made worse by the time of year. It takes all I have to keep it from shattering into a zillion pieces.

Lorraine I am so sorry you are going through this. Please stay strong. Positive thoughts and prayers to you and your husband. Hugs from New York :hug2:
  • Like 3

My husband is coming home on Wednesday morning.

Since he can't drive right now (please pray that he will be able to in the very near future), he will be home and on the computer most of the time. That means that I won't be on the computer, so I won't be here much.

Since he can't drive right now (please pray that he will be able to in the very near future), he will be home and on the computer most of the time. That means that I won't be on the computer, so I won't be here much.

Hugs to you and your husband. :hug2: Will being on the computer be part of his therapy, or is it just something he is itching to do after being in the care facility? I hope you can find a way to still visit TRF! ������������

There's not much else for him to do. He can't focus his attention yet long enough on any one thing so he can read a book. I can't send him outside to work on things because of the weather. So, it is up to me to entertain him and break up his day.

I have been through this before three years ago. We nearly ripped one another to shreds at the end of three months of him being home. :LOL: Hopefully, this time, it goes a lot more smoothly and peacefully.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Hugs to you and your husband. :hug2: Will being on the computer be part of his therapy, or is it just something he is itching to do after being in the care facility? I hope you can find a way to still visit TRF! ������������

There's not much else for him to do. He can't focus his attention yet long enough on any one thing so he can read a book. I can't send him outside to work on things because of the weather. So, it is up to me to entertain him and break up his day.

I have been through this before three years ago. We nearly ripped one another to shreds at the end of three months of him being home. :LOL: Hopefully, this time, it goes a lot more smoothly and peacefully.

Here's hoping it goes MUCH more peacefully this time, Lorraine!

epvXZGP.png

• Like 4

He was in really bad shape today. Some days he's not so sharp. This was one of them. When asked which season it is, he said Fall even though he just answered it was the month of January. When asked to recite the months of the year backwards, he got as far as October and couldn't do the rest. When asked who the president of the USA is, he couldn't remember.

We spent most of the morning with the neurologist. It is the first time I ever met with a doctor who took time - lots of time (at least 80 minutes) - with me. She is the top in her field out here too. A young lady. I don't think she's much more than 42, if even that. She is the one that did the delicate procedure to dislodge the clot in my husband's brain the day of the stroke.

The challenges that await me are overwhelming. I do not know, nor can she or anyone else tell me, if he will get much better than he is now, although she does think he will improve over time.

Your life can change in an instant.

Make the best of what you have it while you have it because you never know how long you will have it.

He comes home tomorrow.

Edited by Lorraine

He was in really bad shape today. Some days he's not so sharp. This was one of them. When asked which season it is, he said Fall even though he just answered it was the month of January. When asked to recite the months of the year backwards, he got as far as October and couldn't do the rest. When asked who the president of the USA is, he couldn't remember.

We spent most of the morning with the neurologist. It is the first time I ever met with a doctor who took time - lots of time (at least 80 minutes) - with me. She is the top in her field out here too. A young lady. I don't think she's much more than 42, if even that. She is the one that did the delicate procedure to dislodge the clot in my husband's brain the day of the stroke.

The challenges that await me are overwhelming. I do not know, nor can she or anyone else tell me, if he will get much better than he is now, although she does think he will improve over time.

Your life can change in an instant.

Make the best of what you have it while you have it because you never know how long you will have it.

He comes home tomorrow.

You guys have both been in my prayers today. I hope everything goes as well as it can go for you guys. Keep us posted if you can. :hug2:

• Like 4

I've been hoping for some good news for you both, the doctor sounds very supportive. I am sending good vibes your direction and say a prayer when I think of you. Take care Lorraine, :hug2: and prayers :angel: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4