Husband Had Major Stroke

Lorraine

They want to discharge him on Tuesday. When I said to the doctor, "But I can't even communicate with him!" he looked at me and said, "Unfortunately, the insurance company doesn't care whether you can communicate with him or not. They are only concerned with the physical."

I hope he will be able to go to the rehab place you mentioned. It's scary that they don't consider the communication part along with the physical. :(

He's been in the rehab since last Monday afternoon.

So they are sending him home from even rehab on Tuesday? And you will have to deal with everything? :( Will he be able to have home nurse visits do you think?

• Like 4

They want to discharge him on Tuesday. When I said to the doctor, "But I can't even communicate with him!" he looked at me and said, "Unfortunately, the insurance company doesn't care whether you can communicate with him or not. They are only concerned with the physical."

I hope he will be able to go to the rehab place you mentioned. It's scary that they don't consider the communication part along with the physical. :(

So they are sending him home from even rehab on Tuesday? And you will have to deal with everything? :( Will he be able to have home nurse visits do you think?

Yes, they are sending him home from rehab on Tuesday.

Yes, I will have to deal with everything.

No, he won't have visiting nurses this time.

I can always walk out the door if things get too rough. I've got a massive headache right now. They had him on the simulated driving. Forget it. He was told to turn right; he turned left. The speed limit was 35; he did 50. His reaction time from accelerator to brake is 2 seconds.

Then he threw up because the simulated driving made him sick.

Can I disappear?

• Like 4

I can always walk out the door if things get too rough. I've got a massive headache right now. They had him on the simulated driving. Forget it. He was told to turn right; he turned left. The speed limit was 35; he did 50. His reaction time from accelerator to brake is 2 seconds.

Can I disappear?

Doing 50 in a 35 isn't that uncommon. Have you seen how many bad drivers there are out there lol.

He might get his driver's license revoked if he can't get the hang of it again. Hard to believe that they wouldn't send a nurse to the house at least for a month or so to see how things are going.

• Like 3

Can I disappear?

:hug2: Wish I were more help!

• Like 2

If you were in Pennsylvania, the local county Office of Aging would provide some services. The money from Pa lottery tickets (part of it) pays for some caregiver and rehab services here. It might be worth a call?
  • Like 2

Me: What did you have to eat?

Him: I had a couple.

Me: A couple of what?

Him: What do you mean a couple of what? A couple of jerk-offs

:(

Add to that he kept disconnecting the call and had to call back.

Edited by Lorraine

Sounds like my grandpa when his dementia started. A little piece of advice, you have to learn to laugh at some of the goofy things that are said. You won't make it through this otherwise. Sometimes just a simple "yes" or "ok" after they say something odd will do. In his mind he didn't say anything strange. He believes what he said sounded fine. His brain can't process the difference.

Are the doctors or therapists telling you anything like that?

Sounds like my grandpa when his dementia started. A little piece of advice, you have to learn to laugh at some of the goofy things that are said. You won't make it through this otherwise. Sometimes just a simple "yes" or "ok" after they say something odd will do. In his mind he didn't say anything strange. He believes what he said sounded fine. His brain can't process the difference.

I took care of a lady whose pathways were limited to producing "I know", "This-a-way" and "Serty soon" (a variation on "pretty soon"). Believe ir not, the inflection in the various combinations of those phrases gave you an idea of what she meant a lot of the time.

Fun lady.

• Like 2

My husband comes home today.

Now the "fun" begins.

If ever I needed prayers holding it together, it will be now. The last time 3 years ago when he was home recovering for 3 months, we almost ripped one other to shreds.

Wish me stamina and strength.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Now the "fun" begins.

If ever I needed prayers holding it together, it will be now. The last time 3 years ago when he was home recovering for 3 months, we almost ripped one other to shreds.

Done, Lorraine. big hugs too!

C6cwMLq.png

• Like 1

Now the "fun" begins.

Praying for strength and your husband's recovery! We are here to listen if you need it.

• Like 4

I hope things go okay and settle down for you both. One thing I know from my job is how hard life is for carers, and how essential it is that you/your wellbeing is not forgotten. Not many people can manage the full-time job that is caring (as you know, it`s basically a new career with a lot of new skills needed). I hope there are some support networks to help you. Failing that, everyone`s here to listen :)
  • Like 2

He's back in the hospital. This time - Sacred Heart.

They're not sure but they think he ruptured a blood vessel in his bladder. He's had a UTI since last week. They also started him back on that dastardly blood thinner last Thursday that had initially caused bleeding on the brain and that they temporarily stopped for a week. The blood thinner won't allow his blood to clot so they are having a hard time controlling the bleeding.

I've never seen so much blood -

The last time I cried as much as I cried today was the second year of my sobriety in 1988.

The steaks I spent our last money for the month on will go in the freezer.

The Thanksgiving chicken will just have to go in the garbage Maybe I'll make it. I can do a lot with a chicken.

They mentioned possible bladder cancer but I just can't go there right now.

I'm hoping for the best even though that doesn't seem to work much.

I knew things were going too well this time.

Should've known something like this would happen.

IF IF IF all goes well, they will send in home in about two days.

I've been going since 8AM and was in the ER with him for hours and hours and hours witnessing suffering humanity in all of its worst forms. What a world we live in.

I'm starving. Would anyone like to cook me a meal? I am so tired

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

They're not sure but they think he ruptured a blood vessel in his bladder. He's had a UTI since last week. They also started him back on that dastardly blood thinner last Thursday that had initially caused bleeding on the brain and that they temporarily stopped for a week. The blood thinner won't allow his blood to clot so they are having a hard time controlling the bleeding.

The last time I cried as much as I cried today was the second year of my sobriety in 1988.

The Thanksgiving chicken will just have to go in the garbage Maybe I'll make it. I can do a lot with a chicken.

I've been going since 8AM and was in the ER with him for hours and hours and hours witnessing suffering humanity in all of its worst forms. What a world we live in.

Is there blood in his urine? Bladder cancer took my grandpa and that was the first sign that something was wrong.

I just called the hospital to see if they moved him to a floor.

He yanked everything out of him and they had to reinsert everything.

He's still waiting for a bed.

I had to leave on account of the weather and my exceedingly poor night vision.

If ever I felt like picking up a bottle of vodka, it's right now.

• Like 1

What a horrendous day! :hug2: I hope you can get some rest and try to recover a little. It sounds like your husband went through a real trauma. I wish I were there to send some food. ❤

• Like 2

I would, Lorraine, I just can't drive right now, I have my yearly vertigo, and Doc says no driving out of town.

Gi01RWE.gif

• Like 2

I would, Lorraine, I just can't drive right now, I have my yearly vertigo, and Doc says no driving out of town.

Gi01RWE.gif

ORFie, I know you would. It would take you forever to get here though, and the weather is bad. Snow and high winds predicted. I hope we don't lose the electricity.

Sorry about your yearly vertigo. That must be awful.

• Like 2

Gi01RWE.gif

ORFie, I know you would. It would take you forever to get here though, and the weather is bad. Snow and high winds predicted. I hope we don't lose the electricity.

Sorry about your yearly vertigo. That must be awful.

I also sometimes get upset stomach and tend to get sick....I hate when that happens...it's been years since I threw up though...I think it was in 2014.

37uog3w.gif

I just called the hospital to see if they moved him to a floor.

He yanked everything out of him and they had to reinsert everything.

He's still waiting for a bed.

I had to leave on account of the weather and my exceedingly poor night vision.

If ever I felt like picking up a bottle of vodka, it's right now.

We know that won't happen. So sorry to hear things took a negative, Lorraine. Cook that chicken...if for nothing else, to take your mind off things for a bit. I'd bake it and rip it to shreds after...as therapy. Then make soup. Soup makes things better for a while.

:hugz:

• Like 4

I can't even think straight anymore. Hardly slept last night just waiting for the phone to ring with even worse news. But he made it through the night and was moved to the stroke floor. Still has blood in urine but it's getting better. Now there's talk of sending him back to the rehab to do what I wanted them to keep him there longer to do - keep him there until we can communicate better.

He's good at small talk, but anything serious - forget it. He gets confused very easily too. He didn't have a lot of sleep last night either, so that didn't help him.

I told them last night to take a CAT scan of his brain and they questioned me as to why. I told them because those blood thinners caused brain bleeding the last time he was on them. Good thing I opened my mouth and asked for it because they did find very small areas of bleeding. They're doing another one today to make sure it isn't getting worse.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4