Husband Had Major Stroke

Lorraine

I just spoke with the nurse he has now on the neurology floor. They had to tie him down because he was fighting the nurse. He had gotten out of bed and walking towards the elevators. Now they've got restraints on him.

I told you he's a handful.

• Like 1

I just spoke with the nurse he has now on the neurology floor. They had to tie him down because he was fighting the nurse. He had gotten out of bed and walking towards the elevators. Now they've got restraints on him.

I don't want to be too intrusive but maybe you should start looking into some kind of government programs where he could be put into some kind of a home. I am not saying to do that right away, but it would be good if you had some other option. People who start behaving like your husband has might be more prone to start becoming violent in the future. I hope that I am not crossing any lines by saying this. I am only thinking of you. :hug2:
  • Like 2

I don't want to be too intrusive but maybe you should start looking into some kind of government programs where he could be put into some kind of a home. I am not saying to do that right away, but it would be good if you had some other option. People who start behaving like your husband has might be more prone to start becoming violent in the future. I hope that I am not crossing any lines by saying this. I am only thinking of you. :hug2:

It's only been a little over 48 hours since his stroke. He might just be disoriented. He's a smoker too, so he has that he's dealing with as well even though they put a nicotine patch on him.

If this behavior continues, I can't have him here. I couldn't live under such stress anyway.

He did tell me earlier that this made him mad. He's still not playing with a full deck and his brain is still swollen. Hopefully, this won't be part of his new behavior.

Edited by Lorraine

It's only been a little over 48 hours since his stroke. He might just be disoriented. He's a smoker too, so he has that he's dealing with as well even though they put a nicotine patch on him.

If this behavior continues, I can't have him here. I couldn't live under such stress anyway.

He did tell me earlier that this made him mad. He's still not playing with a full deck and his brain is still swollen. Hopefully, this won't be part of his new behavior.

Have the doctors checked him for early signs of alzheimers or dementia? Some of his behavior that you've mentioned sounds like that might be happening to him.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Just signing on to learn about this now. Really sorry to hear you are going through this, Lorraine. Thinking about you and hoping for the best outcome.
  • Like 2

It sounds like it was a long day for you. :hug2: I'm glad your husband is out of the ICU but I know it's hard with his behaviors. I really hope things look brighter in the morning! Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

The nurse said he slept somewhat but when they loosened the restraints on his legs, the sitter left the room for a few minutes. When he came back, my husband was hanging over the side of the bed with his legs but his arms were still in restraints. He's always picking at his heart monitor too.

I'm leaving for the hospital in a few hours to see if I can talk any sense into him and find a doctor who can explain this to me.

Please pray that this is just some temporary behavior caused by the stroke and his relocation in the hospital which is what apparently triggered this.

• Like 3

The nurse said he slept somewhat but when they loosened the restraints on his legs, the sitter left the room for a few minutes. When he came back, my husband was hanging over the side of the bed with his legs but his arms were still in restraints. He's always picking at his heart monitor too.

I'm leaving for the hospital in a few hours to see if I can talk any sense into him and find a doctor who can explain this to me.

Please pray that this is just some temporary behavior caused by the stroke and his relocation in the hospital which is what apparently triggered this.

Hoping for progress for your husband! I understand about the Dr.'s. They are usually in a hurry and all this intense information flies out of their mouth at once. The last time my dad was hospitalized, an older Dr. did rounds on Sunday and spent so much time with us and talked very down to earth. I could have hugged him. He said, " the other staff gets fed up with me but I have been doing it this way for a long time now." I hope you get some good explanations today.

• Like 2

The doctor with the flowers in her hair seems to think he will make a 100% recovery. She said he really is a miracle considering all that occurred on Wednesday. She's prescribing him something for a day or two to calm down. My husband told her he's angry. He told me that yesterday too - "It makes me mad" he said. His agitation isn't helping to keep his blood pressure down any either.

He said some of the most bizarre things today. The brain is such a fragile instrument. :)

:cheers:

• Like 9

The other thing I forgot is that I mentioned that he smokes and that could be causing a lot of his agitation - wanting a cigarette.

I was told cigarettes are harder to kick than heroin because nicotine is more addictive than heroin.

Someone mentioned that to me when i was trying to quit. Now I heard it from a medical professional too.

• Like 4

He did really well today, except he's confused. He had the right number of our street address, but the wrong street. Things like that.

I think he fully comprehends what you're saying to him but his response has no bearing on what you just said. He also gets distracted very easily, but today he was able to pull himself back and know he was supposed to be answering me.

The doctor took him off the blood thinner because it was starting to cause bleeding in the brain, so she put him on aspirin.

She prescribed something yesterday for his agitation, but the pill made him too unresponsive, so she took him right off of it.

He fed himself; even went so far as cutting up his french toast. The other day he was trying to stuff an entire slice in his mouth. The other thing he did which I found really encouraging was when he went to pour his milk into the glass, he realized the glass was turned over and he turned it right-side up. I hadn't even noticed it was turned down, but he did. He ate everything that was on the tray except for the banana.

The doctor is already talking about sending him to the rehab he was in the last time. So that might happen this week.

Here's hoping everything stays this way and there are no set-backs! :cheers:

P.S. His "posey bed" looks like a mesh cage. He's entirely enclosed in it. I laughed when I walked in and saw him in it.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 11

Hoping things continue to progress for both of you. Take care of yourself and lean on us (even though we aren't physically there with you) I know everyone wants to help however they can. :hug2:
  • Like 5

Here's is a sample of what I mean. The following are some things I said to him and his responses. I will put his answers in bold:

Who is the president of the USA?

Arnold Schwarzenegger :facepalm:

Eddie had to move because the man that owned the house he's renting decided to sell.

He thinks he is going to be shook up with the oscars. :|

I'm going to go now.

I'm glad there's going to be a lot of demarcations. :unsure:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he is going to the rehab either this afternoon or tomorrow. Everything is under control - blood pressure, sugar - and all that is left is working on his apparent disconnect. It's a frightening thing. He doesn't even realize he's doing it.

Edited by Lorraine

Here's is a sample of what I mean. The following are some things I said to him and his responses. I will put his answers in bold:

Eddie had to move because the man that owned the house he's renting decided to sell.

I'm going to go now.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he is going to the rehab either this afternoon or tomorrow. Everything is under control - blood pressure, sugar - and all that is left is working on his apparent disconnect. It's a frightening thing. He doesn't even realize he's doing it.

:hug2: Well, Schwartznegger was a politician, and leaving is a demarcation, so hopefully he's getting there. I'm not sure what to say about #2 though! ❤ I'm glad to hear that his blood pressure and lab work is good. Rehab places do wonderful work so it's good he can go.

• Like 5

I'm going to go now.

:hug2: Well, Schwartznegger was a politician, and leaving is a demarcation, so hopefully he's getting there. I'm not sure what to say about #2 though! ❤ I'm glad to hear that his blood pressure and lab work is good. Rehab places do wonderful work so it's good he can go.

They called me and said they were transferring him at 4. It's the same place he was for a month the last time.

I don't know how they are going to get him to line up his response with what was just said to him but the doctors claim it can be done. :)

Here's hoping and praying.

• Like 5

Lorraine, positive thoughts to your husband and you. I can't imagine that this is easy - but stay strong. You guys will get through it.
  • Like 2

It's not funny and I shouldn't laugh, but my husband just called me. They gave him a phone. The conversation was actually pretty good until it got to what he had to eat, and he said, "Nuts and bolts."

:LOL:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4