Husband Had Major Stroke

Lorraine

They are going to take the breathing tube out. He is very alert and can move both legs and arms and squeeze with both hands. Let's see if he can talk. That's the big thing. He understood what I was saying to him and what the doctor said to him. They have his blood pressure stabilized. The imaging man told me his heart is strong. He was in there doing an ultrasound when I got there this morning. I'll call in a few hours to see how it went taking the tube out. Hopefully he won't have any trouble swallowing either. The last time 3 years ago he had that tube in for weeks, and when they took it out, it was hard for him to swallow.

I brought his clothes home to wash and found out they cut them all off of him - everything - even the jeans and thermals.

You would all love his doctor. She wears big flowers in her hair, wears a fancy dress (yesterday and today), walks round with a little doctor's bag in her hand and has rust color hair. She carries her hammer and stethoscope and other paraphernalia in her little bag.

A big thank you to all here. You really have no idea how much it means. :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 12

They are going to take the breathing tube out. He is very alert and can move both legs and arms and squeeze with both hands. Let's see if he can talk. That's the big thing. He understood what I was saying to him and what the doctor said to him. They have his blood pressure stabilized. The imaging man told me his heart is strong. He was in there doing an ultrasound when I got there this morning. I'll call in a few hours to see how it went taking the tube out. Hopefully he won't have any trouble swallowing either. The last time 3 years ago he had that tube in for weeks, and when they took it out, it was hard for him to swallow.

I brought his clothes home to wash and found out they cut them all off of him - everything - even the jeans and thermals.

You would all love his doctor. She wears big flowers in her hair, wears a fancy dress (yesterday and today), walks round with a little doctor's bag in her hand and has rust color hair. She carries her hammer and stethoscope and other paraphernalia in her little bag.

A big thank you to all here. You really have no idea how much it means. :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2: :hug2:

:hug2:

• Like 2

You made it through this once before Lorraine. You know what it takes to make it through this time around and you will. It's good that he can communicate in some way and knows what's going on. Hopefully him messing up his words is only a temporary side effect. Your husband certainly strikes me as a fighter and I believe he can overcome this.
  • Like 2

You made it through this once before Lorraine. You know what it takes to make it through this time around and you will. It's good that he can communicate in some way and knows what's going on. Hopefully him messing up his words is only a temporary side effect. Your husband certainly strikes me as a fighter and I believe he can overcome this.

I just spoke to his nurse again. He says he is talking better, but he threw up on his way back from the CAT scan. I'm sure he's scared too.

Yes I made it once before, but I barely made it through. It was an absolute nightmare. My husband always wanted to talk about it and I always had a hard time talking about it. Still have a hard time listening to some songs that remind me of that time.

• Like 1

About your husband, I've been sorry, to see, and hear that, Lorraine. From his stroke, I really hope he will fully recover. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

I just spoke to his nurse again. He says he is talking better, but he threw up on his way back from the CAT scan. I'm sure he's scared too.

Yes I made it once before, but I barely made it through. It was an absolute nightmare. My husband always wanted to talk about it and I always had a hard time talking about it. Still have a hard time listening to some songs that remind me of that time.

:hug2: :hug2:

• Like 2

The nurse said he's doing well, and he can read and comprehend what he is reading, and he's good at yes and no answers.

I'm going to the hospital in a couple of hours. I'll assess him myself. I'll check his memory. If I ask him who the president is and he tells me Al Gore, I'll know we are in trouble. ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 8

The nurse said he's doing well, and he can read and comprehend what he is reading, and he's good at yes and no answers.

I'm going to the hospital in a couple of hours. I'll assess him myself. I'll check his memory. If I ask him who the president is and he tells me Al Gore, I'll know we are in trouble. ;)

He may be living in an alternate universe where the impeachment hearings only have to do with climate change.
  • Like 2

He's actually doing pretty good They are transferring him out of iCU and up to the neurology floor this afternoon.

The longer I was there, and the more people spoke to him, the more he was able to say. The doctors asked me to sit in on their assessment of him and his condition and I didn't understand much of what they were saying. They really talk in technical terms. You have admire anyone that becomes a doctor. The neurologist says he will be home in less than a month which includes a couple of weeks at the rehab he was in for a month in January 2017.

I asked him if he remembers what happened and he claims he got a bad headache suddenly and felt bad "all over." Then he said it makes him mad. When I asked what made him mad, he didn't answer - he started talking about Fiat automobiles. So you can see his attention span is short and he has a hard time focusing long on any one thing.

He's also very agitated and has to be one of the worst patients ever. He did the last time too. He's always trying to get out of bed and pulling tubes out and disconnecting monitors.

The downside is that on account of what happened the last time, he was a different person. He lost his maturity. That's the only way I can describe it. He became impulsive too. He was embarrassing to take anywhere; he would open up closed doors and snoop around and do really inappropriate things. The last time his stroke was on the right side of the brain - this time it was on the left.

Also, and this was the most devastating to me, it was hard to have a conversation with him. He was hard to follow. I don't think this stroke will have helped improve matters.

• Like 6

He's actually doing pretty good They are transferring him out of iCU and up to the neurology floor this afternoon.

The longer I was there, and the more people spoke to him, the more he was able to say. The doctors asked me to sit in on their assessment of him and his condition and I didn't understand much of what they were saying. They really talk in technical terms. You have admire anyone that becomes a doctor. The neurologist says he will be home in less than a month which includes a couple of weeks at the rehab he was in for a month in January 2017.

I asked him if he remembers what happened and he claims he got a bad headache suddenly and felt bad "all over." Then he said it makes him mad. When I asked what made him mad, he didn't answer - he started talking about Fiat automobiles. So you can see his attention span is short and he has a hard time focusing long on any one thing.

He's also very agitated and has to be one of the worst patients ever. He did the last time too. He's always trying to get out of bed and pulling tubes out and disconnecting monitors.

The downside is that on account of what happened the last time, he was a different person. He lost his maturity. That's the only way I can describe it. He became impulsive too. He was embarrassing to take anywhere; he would open up closed doors and snoop around and do really inappropriate things. The last time his stroke was on the right side of the brain - this time it was on the left.

Also, and this was the most devastating to me, it was hard to have a conversation with him. He was hard to follow. I don't think this stroke will have helped improve matters.

No, it probably will not improve matters, but it seems like it will most likely not make them much worse, if any worse at all. He seems to be doing very well for someone who just had a major stroke and should get back to pretty close to where he was. My prayers are with the both of you.
  • Like 5

No, it probably will not improve matters, but it seems like it will most likely not make them much worse, if any worse at all. He seems to be doing very well for someone who just had a major stroke and should get back to pretty close to where he was. My prayers are with the both of you.

I'm the one that has to adjust to it and I've never been able to. I must resign myself to it now. I hate the phrase, but this is my "new normal."

• Like 1

I'm the one that has to adjust to it and I've never been able to. I must resign myself to it now. I hate the phrase, but this is my "new normal."

I feel for you, you should try to find some sort of support group for people who are going through similar types of situations as you are, or any type of support group. You need to make some friends, or even just one friend that you can share your frustrations with and also just have normal conversations with.
  • Like 3