Bobby's Favorite albums Part 4: Black Sabbath

Bigbobby10

Black_Sabbath_debut_album.jpg Black_Sabbath_-_Paranoid.jpg Black_Sabbath_SbS.jpg

Part 4: Black Sabbath

Albums:

Black Sabbath (1970)

Paranoid (1970)

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock

Black Sabbath is in my top 3 favorite Metal Bands easily, and could even be my favorite metal band ever. We all know the genius of Paranoid and out of the 3, that is probably my favorite and most listened to album of the 3. Not a single song I don't enjoy (even planet caravan which is one of my favorite songs by them, highly underrated)

Black Sabbath is next, the dark and creepy cover fits with the first song so well. The who album is a joy, and NIB probably being my second favorite song by them (following Fairies Wear Boots)

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is different from the other 2, using a lot more keyboards and strings and the flute, it brings a more progressive rock feeling to the album, and Ozzy's vocals on this album is incredible.

All 3 are just about perfect in my eyes.

An album that was close to making a 10/10 for me is Heaven and Hell, Ronnie James Dio is just an excellent vocalist and that album is just incredible, but not quite as amazing as the rest.

Favorite Songs from the 3 albums:

Black Sabbath

The Wizard

NIB

War Pigs

Planet Caravan

Electric Funeral

Fairies Wear Boots

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

Killing Yourself to Live

I could pick many more just from these 3 albums, but I will stop there.

Do you agree with my choice? Or do you believe I have missed out on an album.

• Like 1

The first 5 Ozzy era albums are flawless, and I personally love all 8 of the original Ozzy era albums. The debut has a little too much "noodling," for my tastes to make it a top 3. Paranoid is a no-brainer, no matter what the "real fans," say. After that it's very, very tough to pick between Master of Reality, Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Put a gun to my head and I probably pick Master of Reality and Volume 4. MoR's one flaw is how short it is.
  • Like 5

The first 5 Ozzy era albums are flawless, and I personally love all 8 of the original Ozzy era albums. The debut has a little too much "noodling," for my tastes to make it a top 3. Paranoid is a no-brainer, no matter what the "real fans," say. After that it's very, very tough to pick between Master of Reality, Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Put a gun to my head and I probably pick Master of Reality and Volume 4. MoR's one flaw is how short it is.

I agree with all of this. If I could only have 3 on a deserted island, it would be Paranoid, MOR and one of Vol. 4/SBS. Very difficult to pick the last one, but I lean towards Vol. 4. I tend to prefer raw Sabbath compared to how polished they began to sound on SBS. And even though MOR is short, it contains many absolute classics (not including Sweet Leaf, which is overrated IMO).
  • Like 1

I tend to prefer raw Sabbath compared to how polished they began to sound on SBS.

SBS is easily their least 'metal' album out of the first 6. Apart from the title track and Killing Yourself to Live(even those two tracks are not straight-ahead metal), I never heard much metal on that album. But anyway, SBS is musically great.

• Like 1

I believe all their albums up to Sabotage are essentials, I don't care for Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die! as much.

I will says there are a lot of songs I missed with their 10/10 albums. But hey their discography is filled with so many amazing songs.

• Like 1

I tend to prefer raw Sabbath compared to how polished they began to sound on SBS.

SBS is easily their least 'metal' album out of the first 6. Apart from the title track and Killing Yourself to Live(even those two tracks are not straight-ahead metal), I never heard much metal on that album. But anyway, SBS is musically great.

The riff to A National Acrobat is pure unadulterated steel.