6. Leprous Pitfalls

7. Lacuna Coil- Black Anima

8. Bruce Springsteen-Western Stars

9. Neal Morse-Jesus Christ the Exorcist

10. Lana Del Rey-Norman Fukking Rockwell

2019 was a good year.

Mick

Bitch, Lizzo.

I thought 2019 was pretty awesome. Looking at these lists I'm like "ok, my top ten has about six hundred and fifty two missing albums"
  • Like 1

Mine.

1. Taylor Swift-Lover

2. Alter Bridge-Walk the Sky

3. Neal Morse Band-The Great Adventure

4. Jimmy Eat World-Surviving

5. Opeth-En Claude Venerum

6. Leprous Pitfalls

2019 was a good year.

Mick

Bitch, Lizzo.

she's good but one of the best of this year?? in this field nah.

Mick

Mine.

1. Taylor Swift-Lover

2. Alter Bridge-Walk the Sky

3. Neal Morse Band-The Great Adventure

4. Jimmy Eat World-Surviving

5. Opeth-En Claude Venerum

6. Leprous Pitfalls

2019 was a good year.

Mick

Bitch, Lizzo.

she's good but one of the best of this year?? in this field nah.

Mick

I thought it was a 2018 release. As a 2019, it beats all but one for me.

I forgot about Lana del Rey. That album is stunning.

F u c k YES. Nice to see other Rush fans that get it. LDR's music is freaking gorgeous. A totally retro, definition-of-sultry, jazz-singer-on-the-piano-in-a-smoky-bar, Nancy Sinatraish chantreuse born in a David Lynch universe.

So my albums have to be those from:

Tool

Alter Bridge

Lana Del Rey

Lacuna Coil

Opeth

Periphery

Edited by Wandering Hermit

OK here they are:

1. Michael Monroe - One Man Gang

2. Tygers of Pan Tang - Ritual

3. Diamond Head - The Coffin Train

4. Angel Witch - Angel of Light

5. LA Guns - The Devil You Know

6. Angel - Risen

7. Rock Goddess - This Time

8. George Benson - Walking to New Orleans

9. The Aristocrats - You Know What...?

10. Grim Reaper - At the Gates

• Like 1

OK here they are:

1. Michael Monroe - One Man Gang

2. Tygers of Pan Tang - Ritual

3. Diamond Head - The Coffin Train

4. Angel Witch - Angel of Light

5. LA Guns - The Devil You Know

6. Angel - Risen

7. Rock Goddess - This Time

8. George Benson - Walking to New Orleans

9. The Aristocrats - You Know What...?

10. Grim Reaper - At the Gates

Little Georgie Benson?? :guitar: :hi:

• Like 1

Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Lacuna Coil - Black Anima

Alter Bridge - Walk The Sky

Within Temptation - Resist

Slipknot - We Are Not Your Kind

Swallow The Sun - When A Shadow Is Forced Into The Light

Bloody Hammers - The Summoning

I don't think I forgot anything.

10) Little Simz - Grey Area

9) Brutus - Nest

8) Altin Gun - Gece

7) Julia Jacklin - Crushing

6) The Comet Is Coming - Trust In The Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

5) Iamthemorning - The Bell

4) Tyler, The Creator - IGOR

3) Angel Olsen - All Mirrors

2) Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising

1) Nilufer Yanya - Miss Universe

Honourable mention: Nivhek - After its own death/Walking in a spiral towards the house

Biggest disappointment was Opeth. Some decent songs and musicianship. I just don't need purposefully dated sounding 70s/80s prog with no edge whatsoever. And get Wilson back to make a clearer sounding record that doesn't sound like it was recorded in a barrel. It also has no pace to it. Just plods along with no real exciting factors to jump out and grab me.

Edited by HemispheresserehpsimeH

01. In Continuum - Acceleration Theory Part I&II

02. Angel - Risen

03. Tygers Of Pan Tang - Ritual

04. Electric Mary - Mother

05. No-Man - Love You To Bits

06. Diamond Head - The Coffin Train

07. Michael Schenker Fest - Revelation

08. Pretty Maids - Undress Your Madness

09. Steve Hackett - At The Edge Of Light

10. Voyager - Colours In The Sun

11. Angel Witch - Angel Of Light

12. The Who - WHO

Special mentions:

Soulsplitter - Salutogenesis

Rock Goddess - This Time

RPWL - Tales From Outer Space

The Mute Gods - Atheists And Believers

The Claypool Lennon Delirium - South Of Reality

Leprous - Pitfalls

New Model Army - From Here

Huis - Abandoned

Tanith - In Another Time

Eloy - The Vision, The Sword And The Pyre (Part II)

Soen - Lotus

Whitesnake - Flesh&Blood

Neil Young - Colorado

• Like 1

The new Slipknot left me a little cold. I have also forgotten about it...must search it out again!

As for Resist, I know initially I was underwhelmed, but it became a major favourite of mine this year. I think it's a spellbinding album, and Supernova, about Sharon and her coping with her father's passing, became my favourite Within Temptation song since my mother's passing in September. It has just given me so much strength.

Black Anima is currently my favourite album of the year, with one major quibble: the vocal mixing on Veneficium. Really hate how distorted Cristina sounds on the high vocals, which is a shame as I love that song to death. Save Me is another favourite of the year.

Dream Theater definitely impressed me. I absolutely love Distance Over Time!

Alter Bridge released another Alter Bridge album. And it was bloody great! Not a single dull moment, fourteen stunning songs. It's been great seeing most fans online rate almost all songs frequently as favourites. Not seen that since Blackbird.

Swallow The Sun got a bit lost in the mix this year, terrific album all the same.

Must confess Bloody Hammers didn't do anything for me, but I may come back to it.

But overall, my 2019 belonged to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and After Forever.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lists everyone. There's still time for me to buy an album in 2019...I haven't bought one yet. :P

Nothing interests me these days beyond a couple of listens on youtube.

The new Slipknot left me a little cold. I have also forgotten about it...must search it out again!

As for Resist, I know initially I was underwhelmed, but it became a major favourite of mine this year. I think it's a spellbinding album, and Supernova, about Sharon and her coping with her father's passing, became my favourite Within Temptation song since my mother's passing in September. It has just given me so much strength.

Black Anima is currently my favourite album of the year, with one major quibble: the vocal mixing on Veneficium. Really hate how distorted Cristina sounds on the high vocals, which is a shame as I love that song to death. Save Me is another favourite of the year.

Alter Bridge released another Alter Bridge album. And it was bloody great! Not a single dull moment, fourteen stunning songs. It's been great seeing most fans online rate almost all songs frequently as favourites. Not seen that since Blackbird.

Swallow The Sun got a bit lost in the mix this year, terrific album all the same.

Must confess Bloody Hammers didn't do anything for me, but I may come back to it.

I really like the Slipknot album. Much better than their last one which had a number of very good songs but also a fair amount of filler. There wasn't the energy to it that the band normally has. The new one has no filler and is just straight up great beginning to end. They've got some of that old fire again and Corey's screaming doesn't sound as tired now that he quit smoking. Liar's Funeral, Not Long For This World and Solway Firth have some of Corey's darkest lyrics too. Overall the band hasn't sounded this alive and angry since Iowa. I saw them in August and they put on a fantastic show. Behemoth and Gojira were also on the bill making it the overall heaviest and loudest show I have ever been to.

Swallow The Sun is a tough listen especially when you've experienced losing a family member to cancer like both of us have. It's a very dark, depressing and emotionally heavy album that I need to be in the right frame of mind in order to listen. Still, it's great for what it is. I found out a few weeks ago that they will be playing here in May. It's their first ever north American headlining tour believe it or not. I'm honestly very surprised they're playing here. The place they will play only fits about 300 people so it will be a nice intimate show.

Bloody Hammers is my where the hell did this come from pick of the year. Just really good traditional metal with good melodic hooks and nice riffs. Nothing amazing about them but it's a modern band that plays the traditional metal style very well. I also like the whole old school horror movie image they have for their artwork and videos.

I really like the Slipknot album. Much better than their last one which had a number of very good songs but also a fair amount of filler. There wasn't the energy to it that the band normally has. The new one has no filler and is just straight up great beginning to end. They've got some of that old fire again and Corey's screaming doesn't sound as tired now that he quit smoking. Liar's Funeral, Not Long For This World and Solway Firth have some of Corey's darkest lyrics too. Overall the band hasn't sounded this alive and angry since Iowa. I saw them in August and they put on a fantastic show. Behemoth and Gojira were also on the bill making it the overall heaviest and loudest show I have ever been to.

Swallow The Sun is a tough listen especially when you've experienced losing a family member to cancer like both of us have. It's a very dark, depressing and emotionally heavy album that I need to be in the right frame of mind in order to listen. Still, it's great for what it is. I found out a few weeks ago that they will be playing here in May. It's their first ever north American headlining tour believe it or not. I'm honestly very surprised they're playing here. The place they will play only fits about 300 people so it will be a nice intimate show.

Bloody Hammers is my where the hell did this come from pick of the year. Just really good traditional metal with good melodic hooks and nice riffs. Nothing amazing about them but it's a modern band that plays the traditional metal style very well. I also like the whole old school horror movie image they have for their artwork and videos.

How do you feel overall about Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation's new stuff?

Within Temptation's new album is a little more pop and less metal than their previous material but is still very good and still very much them. They have always had melodic pop vocals so it's not that drastic of a change overall.

Black Anima is probably my second or third favorite album from Lacuna Coil. I think over the last three albums the band has been at their absolute best. Their songwriting is the most complete it's ever been and vocally both Cristina and Andrea are at the top of their game.

Within Temptation's new album is a little more pop and less metal than their previous material but is still very good and still very much them. They have always had melodic pop vocals so it's not that drastic of a change overall.

Black Anima is probably my second or third favorite album from Lacuna Coil. I think over the last three albums the band has been at their absolute best. Their songwriting is the most complete it's ever been and vocally both Cristina and Andrea are at the top of their game.

We have the same view!

Black Anima is shooting up and down my LC rankings. Obviously I am biased as they are my favourite band, and yes right now it's still exciting because it is the most recent, but a couple of production quibbles aside, I can't remember a Lacuna Coil album ever being this complete.

I think it's going to settle very highly. I've also come to love Delirium since it's release even more now.

As for Within Temptation, they have always been super commercial to my ears. The latest album for me is just wonderful. Better than Hydra, if only because it feels more like a band effort and less a collection of collaborations lol, and the collaborations on this album really work