Earplugs for concert?

PoppyAOK

Hey, just wanna ask you guys if you've tried using

from Big Ear? I was just curious about them and I wanna know first if they're good before I give them a call. Anyway, if you haven't, can you recommend something that is also custom made? Gonna watch Journey in Vegas this December and I'm just taking notes of what I should bring or buy before the show. Thanks!

My post didn't show that's why I just commented on it.

Edited by PoppyAOK

Not sure how much you plan on spending, but I have a pair of custom ear plugs from Westone that I use with an mp3 player but they also provide great sound suppression when I go shooting. They have some specifically made for concerts that come in 3 levels of attenuation. If that's your budget, I think you'd like them. I have no experience or have even heard of the ones you're asking about.

Westone ES49

I also have some triple flange ones from Etymotic that reduce all the frequencies about 10-15 dBs and they are very reasonably priced.

Edited by Fordgalaxy

Going to see TOOL next month up close and after reading a review stating "Pulverizing Volume", I bought earplugs from Downbeats. I haven't tried them at a show so I cannot comment on them yet.

After going to 100's of concerts over the last 50 years and I have plans for many many more, I need to preserve what hearing I've still got. It's still great !!! What ?

:codger: :codger: :codger: :codger:

https://www.latimes....-concert-review

Edited by custom55

I've been using these DUBS for a couple of years. They seem to work, at the expense of some high end.

The reviews are mixed at the Amazon link here. All I can say is that they've worked for me, front row at a number of shows.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NW1IZ5Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes on earplugs of any kind. Wish I could go back in time and use them, would be nice.

I wear earplugs to concerts all the time. I would hate to imagine what my hearing would be like if I didn't. Don't have any specific suggestions but get ones that reduce the volume but let all of the frequencies through.

• Like 2

I just use this silicone stuff...

3168PQGDi9L._SX425_.jpg

I got those stuck in my ear when I was a teen (I was swimming a lot for PE in high school.) Avoided them since then. I use foam ones now, you can usually bum free ones off of people with Industrial jobs.
  • Like 1

Earplugs are for people that do not like music!

You clearly haven't read this thread. There are a few varieties of plugs that allow all the frequencies through, just at a reduced decibel level. Also, hearing loss is cumulative and once it's gone, you ain't getting it back, music lover.

• Like 5

Hearing loss is a thing. Most of my high frequency hearing is gone. I also have a lot of trouble carrying on a conversation in a crowded room. I can't hear consonants.

All because i didn't think about my hearing when I was in my teens to early 20's. I wish I had earplugs for shows, and I wish I hadn't cranked up those Sony Walkmans.

Hate to sound like the old deaf guy. In MY DAY, you could hear someone carrying on a conversation a block away.... and when I was a kid, pre-music I remember being able to hear people talking a block away.

I could be a lot worse off, I suppose. I'd say I have 80% of my hearing. Don't have to really crank the TV to hear dialog...jjust a little, and can enjoy music at a low volume. The thing that I definitely notice is like I wrote above - conversations in a crowded room, or lots of ambient noise. I'm no fun at parties. Or conferences.

Edited by grep

Here is what I use for concerts:

https://www.earpeace.com/products/earplugs?variant=43678845124

$25 per set, and they have 3 levels of sound attenuation. Unlike foam ear plugs, which just reduce the decibel levels across the board, these plugs retain the high fidelity sound while dropping the decibel level so you don't do permanent damage.

I love 'em! And I don't even get a commission when I recommend them!

Earplugs are for people that do not like music!

You clearly haven't read this thread. There are a few varieties of plugs that allow all the frequencies through, just at a reduced decibel level. Also, hearing loss is cumulative and once it's gone, you ain't getting it back, music lover.

^^^This. Years ago Pete Townshend spoke of losing part of his hearing, mostly the lower registers, from the constant barrage of amplified sound. The Nuge at one time wore custom rubber and wax plugs.

Hearing loss is a thing. Most of my high frequency hearing is gone. I also have a lot of trouble carrying on a conversation in a crowded room. I can't hear consonants.

All because i didn't think about my hearing when I was in my teens to early 20's. I wish I had earplugs for shows, and I wish I hadn't cranked up those Sony Walkmans.

Hate to sound like the old deaf guy. In MY DAY, you could hear someone carrying on a conversation a block away.... and when I was a kid, pre-music I remember being able to hear people talking a block away.

I could be a lot worse off, I suppose. I'd say I have 80% of my hearing. Don't have to really crank the TV to hear dialog...jjust a little, and can enjoy music at a low volume. The thing that I definitely notice is like I wrote above - conversations in a crowded room, or lots of ambient noise. I'm no fun at parties. Or conferences.

I am the same way, with the exception that I have lost 60% in my left and 55% in my right. Part due to extremely loud music and working on tanks when I was in the military back in the '70s and '80s. I miss hearing what others have to say, but at times it's a godsend that I don't have to hear my wife.

I didn't wear any, and my hearing was fine.

I consider myself extremely fortunate with respect to my hearing. After having been to I don’t even know how many loud, loud rock n’ roll shows (where I have never, to this day, worn earplugs), and working in a manufacturing business for 13 and a half years where there were CNC lathes and vertical mills, lathing and drilling holes in 40-50 lb iron castings (hearing protection became standard eventually, but for the first 8-9 years I was there, there was none)...my hearing is still perfect.

I have the utmost empathy for people who have experienced permanent hearing loss, on any level.

• Like 1

I saw Rush at the Omni (Atlanta) for the 'Signals' tour. The next day I was at Peachtree DeKalb airport for my 11th hour of flight instruction and I was sitting on the runway and my instructor nudged me to find out why I did not start the take off roll. I told him I did not hear the tower and it was because my ears were still ringing. That was the last concert where I did not use hearing protection.