Is Longevity a Good Thing?

Rick N. Backer

Is there any drop in history steeper and quicker than from Moving Pictures to Presto?

Probably loads. Here are my immediate two thoughts:

(1) Living Colour’s debut “Vivid” in ‘88 to Stain in ‘93. Stain’s not that bad (an “ok” album) but it’s a massive drop from the perfection of their debut.

(2) Queensryche’s Empire in ‘90 to Hear in the Now Frontier in ‘97. I bought the latter in some shop’s cheap bin for $2.99 around 2000. And I still think I was ripped off! I think there might be one or two songs at the very most that MIGHT be passable.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

Tool has figured out the magic source to avoid releasing a dud album

Just wait 13 years (ironically longer than Zeppelin's entire discography) between releases and what you come up with is an incredible album beloved by fans and a sold out tour where fans main complaint is the band is not playing enough new material.

In my 38 years of concert going, I can not recall hearing that complaint too often.

It is best to go out on top and in a blaze of glory, but I understand why that is hard to do for most bands.

A trend I'm seeing start up is instead of a "final" or "reunion" tour is a "Vegas residency" where a band plays a number of dates in the showroom of a Las Vegas hotels. David Lee Roth recently started one at The House of Blues, Billy Idol is working the Palms, and Christina Aguilera and Gwen Stefani are performing at Planet Hollywood. The Doobies Brothers and Chicago have runs planned for early 2020. Hey, if it can work for Donnie and Marie Osmond (whose soon to be finished run at the Flamingo is still a hot ticket in LV), why not these old farts?

You know, I've always preferred longevity. Even though it usually means seeing a band at their worst, sometimes when a band is great enough or you love them enough, their worst is still way better than the majority. There's also something to be said for bands that stick it out (no pun intended...I think) through their worst records and wind up making a comeback. Clockwork Angels couldn't have happened if Rush stopped in the 90s. Innuendo couldn't have happened if Queen had stopped after Hot Space. Pump couldn't have happened if Aerosmith had called it quits after Draw The Line. I'm still waiting for U2 to give me a reason they shouldn't have stopped after All That You Can't Leave Behind.
  • Like 1

You know, I've always preferred longevity. Even though it usually means seeing a band at their worst, sometimes when a band is great enough or you love them enough, their worst is still way better than the majority. There's also something to be said for bands that stick it out (no pun intended...I think) through their worst records and wind up making a comeback. Clockwork Angels couldn't have happened if Rush stopped in the 90s. Innuendo couldn't have happened if Queen had stopped after Hot Space. Pump couldn't have happened if Aerosmith had called it quits after Draw The Line. I'm still waiting for U2 to give me a reason they shouldn't have stopped after All That You Can't Leave Behind.

Night in the Ruts, Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors are all great albums though. Frankly, I personally like them all better than Pump. And they all came out within about 10 years of the debut. But what about Just Press Play and Music From Another Dimension?

Night in the Ruts, Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors are all great albums though. Frankly, I personally like them all better than Pump. And they all came out within about 10 years of the debut. But what about Just Press Play and Music From Another Dimension?

I haven't listened to much between Draw The Line and Permanent Vacation. What I have heard has sounded good, but I've also read many negative reviews of that time, from fans and critics alike. So I'm not saying they're bad, but that they're generally considered inferior, but then Aerosmith came around and made Permanent vacation and (especially) Pump, which are just as good as Toys and Rock in my opinion. I bet I probably really enjoy NitR, RiaHP, and DwM when I get around to them though.

I also haven't listened to very much post Get A Grip (which has a fair bit of filler, but really high points too). However, I did once have Music From Another Dimension checked out from my local library, and I recall loving it. I also recall trying to find like minded fans online and discovering a lot of fans hated it and thought Aerosmith should call it quits. Perhaps I was misinformed there, but because of that i'm always wary of referencing that album as great.

I haven't listened to much between Draw The Line and Permanent Vacation. What I have heard has sounded good, but I've also read many negative reviews of that time, from fans and critics alike. So I'm not saying they're bad, but that they're generally considered inferior, but then Aerosmith came around and made Permanent vacation and (especially) Pump, which are just as good as Toys and Rock in my opinion. I bet I probably really enjoy NitR, RiaHP, and DwM when I get around to them though.

I also haven't listened to very much post Get A Grip (which has a fair bit of filler, but really high points too). However, I did once have Music From Another Dimension checked out from my local library, and I recall loving it. I also recall trying to find like minded fans online and discovering a lot of fans hated it and thought Aerosmith should call it quits. Perhaps I was misinformed there, but because of that i'm always wary of referencing that album as great.

I’m a fan, so I’m biased. But trying to be fair, Pump is their last great album. If you see Aerosmith live now you might hear a couple of the sappy Alicia Silverstone tracks off Get A Grip, but I doubt they play anything later than that.

• Like 1

I’m a fan, so I’m biased. But trying to be fair, Pump is their last great album. If you see Aerosmith live now you might hear a couple of the sappy Alicia Silverstone tracks off Get A Grip, but I doubt they play anything later than that.

Didn't they try to play Living On The Edge recently and Joe Perry completely forgot how to play the riff?

Didn't they try to play Living On The Edge recently and Joe Perry completely forgot how to play the riff?

Haha. I believe it.

• Like 1