Jacob Moon's cover of 'New World Man'

RushFanForever

I've seen Jacob Moon live in concert many times and I have a different take than what people say on here.

Another observation is that it appears to be the same classic-rock/prog-rock/heavy-metal etc stuff posted on here.

I rarely see any discussion of vintage country music, jazz, world music, etc. posted.

I'd like to see more diverse music genres on here please because at times it seems close-minded.

So we're supposed to start talking about genres we have no interest in? How about you start a thread about those things and see how far they go? Odds are if there was any kind of significant interest in those genres there would be topics about them already. Like The Jazz Thread which was created a number of months ago and hasn't gotten too much attention.

There's a thread under General Discussion called 'Music Of The Spheres'. To me it should be more than just rock and metal. There's other music genres that influenced what I've just mentioned.

You don't have to tell me about the music of the spheres section. That's where 95 percent of the posting takes place now that Rush is no more. If you want to change the discussions over there than start some topics yourself and see what happens. I won't be participating in any of it because I don't listen to those genres. But take a shot and see what happens if you start a world music, or old school country thread or whatever else you feel is not getting the love you think it deserves. Also, just because a genre may have influenced something I like doesn't mean I can make myself like it.

Here's something of interest to read posted by CBC below.

Indie fans most open minded about music, pop fans most closed off

Below is a snippet taken from a recent interview that Geddy Lee did with Sharp Magazine.

Any new bass players or bands you like that you can name?

Nah, I can’t really. I listen to more old music these days. [Laughs.] A lot of Bill Evans and jazz guys. It takes me to a new place in my head, so I like that.

Jacob Moon is an indie artist. He's been a performing musician for almost 25 years.

Besides RUSH some of his other musical influences are Radiohead, Yes, Marillion, Bruce Hornsby, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Gordon Lightfoot, Tom Waits, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, and Stevie Wonder.

Also Jacob enjoys listening to Led Zeppelin, Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny, Eric Johnson, Allan Holdsworth, and Robben Ford, along with some Westcoast/AOR music.

Edited by RushFanForever

I really liked his version of Subdivisions but I think most of the critiques here are on the money.

He has a voice that sounds like "New Country" and I think he could bland out many Rush songs like NWM

Bravado

Kid Gloves

Time Stand Still

Middletown Dreams

The Pass

how's that for a nice EP put out on Sominex Records

He kind of corporatizes Rush songs.

• Like 1

I've seen Jacob Moon live in concert many times and I have a different take than what people say on here.

Another observation is that it appears to be the same classic-rock/prog-rock/heavy-metal etc stuff posted on here.

I rarely see any discussion of vintage country music, jazz, world music, etc. posted.

I'd like to see more diverse music genres on here please because at times it seems close-minded.

So we're supposed to start talking about genres we have no interest in? How about you start a thread about those things and see how far they go? Odds are if there was any kind of significant interest in those genres there would be topics about them already. Like The Jazz Thread which was created a number of months ago and hasn't gotten too much attention.

All these years on TRF I’ve seen (I think) every kind of music get a thread except for opera. Jazz has certainly gotten one, same for world music, vintage country music too (Hank Williams and Patsy Cline were of course mentioned), reggae for sure, and others. But they all die out because there just isn’t enough members’ input in them. And that’s fine. They had their shot and then they die. Every thread dies that isn’t spam, a game, or comedy. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

I really liked his version of Subdivisions but I think most of the critiques here are on the money.

He has a voice that sounds like "New Country" and I think he could bland out many Rush songs like NWM

Bravado

Kid Gloves

Time Stand Still

Middletown Dreams

The Pass

how's that for a nice EP put out on Sominex Records

The hidden bonus track would have to be a thrash metal version of Tai Shan.

Jacob has also covered songs by Radiohead, Yes, Peter Gabriel, Bruce Hornsby, Marillion, Tom Waits, etc.

Oh good. He's an equal opportunity snooze inducer.

• Like 2

No offense, but these forum comments on this post are disheartening.

It seems that the Counterparts vibe is starting to take hold over here. Mwa ha ha ha ha.

There's a thread under General Discussion called 'Music Of The Spheres'. To me it should be more than just rock and metal. There's other music genres that influenced what I've just mentioned.

The Steve Hoffman Forums might be more to your liking. Pretty diverse palette there.

• Like 1

If you like the way Rocky from YYNOT sounds, you'll probably appreciate Gabby Vessoni's voice.

Hmmm...Rocky sounds like she's influenced strongly by Gwen Stefani, whereas Gabby often seems to channel her inner Celine Dion. Shockingly (to me, at least), I much prefer Gabby's approach to Geddy over Rocky's. There's a maturity and sincerity in her voice that I like very much.

If you like the way Rocky from YYNOT sounds, you'll probably appreciate Gabby Vessoni's voice.

Hmmm...Rocky sounds like she's influenced strongly by Gwen Stefani, whereas Gabby often seems to channel her inner Celine Dion. Shockingly (to me, at least), I much prefer Gabby's approach to Geddy over Rocky's. There's a maturity and sincerity in her voice that I like very much.

Yes, I can see the differences you point out. I guess it depends what you're in the mood for - Rocky, young vital rocking Geddy. Gabby, like a late 80's / Pre-Counterparts retrospective Geddy.

Take your pick. Either way, IMHO, they are both pretty awesome.

PS: Here Again is one of my favorite Rush songs. Yeah, really. It's awesome to hear a cover of it. Especially such a well done one - as Fleesh has created.

Edited by grep

Yes, I can see the differences you point out. I guess it depends what you're in the mood for - Rocky, young vital rocking Geddy. Gabby, like a late 80's / Pre-Counterparts retrospective Geddy.

PS: Here Again is one of my favorite Rush songs. Yeah, really. It's awesome to hear a cover of it. Especially such a well done one - as Fleesh has created.

What do you think of this gal's voice? (She really belts it out during Temples)

http://youtu.be/mz-gupKuZxg

Edited by JARG

And they both sound more masculine than Jacob Moon.