Jacob Moon's cover of 'New World Man'

RushFanForever

I can’t say it’s bad but I don’t really like this version. I did like his take on Subdivisons though.

Pretty much the same here. His version of Subdivisions elevated the song. This version of NWM, not so much.

• Like 2

A trend I've noticed is that the majority of forum members aren't open to Moon's interpretation of a RUSH cover besides 'Subdivisions'.

It seems that covering a RUSH song just doesn't do it for many.

Mind you, I bet Geddy, Alex, and Neil enjoy hearing a different take on one of their songs.

Jacob Moon opened for Marillion on their 2013 European Tour and was appreciated.

A pop-country version of a Rush tune is not what I was expecting. :boo hiss: :boo hiss:

A trend I've noticed is that the majority of forum members aren't open to Moon's interpretation of a RUSH cover besides 'Subdivisions'.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have given it a listen if I wasn't open to it.

• Like 1

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't have given it a listen if I wasn't open to it.

Exactly.

Admittedly, there’s tons of music and movies that I don’t listen to or watch. I’m not open to them for various reasons.

Everything I listen to or watch I hope to enjoy on some level. It doesn’t always work out. No big deal.

LIke others, his subdivisions cover was very good, but this is the wrong song to cover acoustically. Just sounds like annoying coffee shop drivel.

I don't like the Subdivisions cover either. These covers seem very pretentious to me. But I do give him credit for trying something different.

LIke others, his subdivisions cover was very good, but this is the wrong song to cover acoustically. Just sounds like annoying coffee shop drivel.

I don't like the Subdivisions cover either. These covers seem very pretentious to me. But I do give him credit for trying something different.

When I hear “pretentious” in the context of music, I automatically think of Justin Timberlake covering those Prince songs at the SuperBowl last year.

When I hear “pretentious” in the context of music, I automatically think of Justin Timberlake covering those Prince songs at the SuperBowl last year.

Pretentious, indeed. He's pretending to be someone he's not and never will be.

I've never heard those. I'm defining pretentious here as affected and artificial. I also feel like he morphed Rush's sound into a cliched style. Maybe there's a Rush song that would work in this style but I don't think he's found it yet. But you know, opinions are like buttholes and all that.

But you know, opinions are like buttholes and all that.

Exactly, they are all full of shit!

I really liked his version of Subdivisions but I think most of the critiques here are on the money.

He has a voice that sounds like "New Country" and I think he could bland out many Rush songs like NWM

Bravado

Kid Gloves

Time Stand Still

Middletown Dreams

The Pass

how's that for a nice EP put out on Sominex Records

I've seen Jacob Moon live in concert many times and I have a different take than what people say on here.

Another observation is that it appears to be the same classic-rock/prog-rock/heavy-metal etc stuff posted on here.

I rarely see any discussion of vintage country music, jazz, world music, etc. posted.

I'd like to see more diverse music genres on here please because at times it seems close-minded.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I've seen Jacob Moon live in concert many times and I have a different take than what people say on here.

Another observation is that it appears to be the same classic-rock/prog-rock/heavy-metal etc stuff posted on here.

I rarely see any discussion of vintage country music, jazz, world music, etc. posted.

I'd like to see more diverse music genres on here please because at times it seems close-minded.

So we're supposed to start talking about genres we have no interest in? How about you start a thread about those things and see how far they go? Odds are if there was any kind of significant interest in those genres there would be topics about them already. Like The Jazz Thread which was created a number of months ago and hasn't gotten too much attention.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

So we're supposed to start talking about genres we have no interest in? How about you start a thread about those things and see how far they go? Odds are if there was any kind of significant interest in those genres there would be topics about them already. Like The Jazz Thread which was created a number of months ago and hasn't gotten too much attention.

There's a thread under General Discussion called 'Music Of The Spheres'. To me it should be more than just rock and metal. There's other music genres that influenced what I've just mentioned.

Edited by RushFanForever