Geddy and Rush

snowdogged

You know, it just dawned on me that when Rush was coming to an end it was clear that Geddy was not happy about it because he wanted to keep writing and performing with Rush, On the other hand, Alex seemed more middle of the road about it and was clearly not nearly as upset as Geddy was about it. Since Rush's end Geddy just has not really publicly shown any enthusiasm in creating new material or wanting to perform live on any level and Alex seems to constantly be finding new projects and collaborations to work on musically. It seems that Geddy's enthusiasm for creating music and performing live died with Rush while Alex just never knows what he wants. lol. I hope Geddy gets some inspiration soon and wants to do something with Alex. It would be nice to have some new material from them, even if they made an album that wasn't all that good it would be nice to have just for the sentiment.
  • Like 1

You know, it just dawned on me that when Rush was coming to an end it was clear that Geddy was not happy about it because he wanted to keep writing and performing with Rush, On the other hand, Alex seemed more middle of the road about it and was clearly not nearly as upset as Geddy was about it.

It was pretty obvious when the last tour ended that Geddy and Alex felt like that. I wouldn't say Geddy has lost his enthusiasm for writing music because none of us have any idea if he's been working on anything. His whole life has been music, so I don't doubt for a single second that he hasn't written anything new over the last several years. He probably just wanted to enjoy some downtime first and then he did that big bass book that got a good enough response that he's done a numerous bookstore signings for it. I think Geddy will have another solo album(s) but he's just taking his time right now and trying to adjust to life without Rush.

Geddy said something to the effect of having a lot of ideas. He'd suggested that at some point he'd go through them and see if there's anything worth developing.

So there's some hope. Hopefully he calls Al to come over and stare at the basses hanging on his studio wall.

I think Geddy has put a lot of time and energy into his book and it's promotion. The creative writing and performing will follow. He seems to be more deliberate and more of a perfectionist than Alex. I think Alex is a fly by the seat of his pants king of a guy.

Victor an MFY really demonstrated to me what either brought to Rush, song writing and spirit wise and I concluded that Rush was better than the sum of its' parts. I really hope Alex and Geddy work together and release something but I hope it's with not just another drummer but with other players (keys/multi-instrumentalist) and a vocalist - so it doesn't come off like Rush 2.0 (or 3.0 if you like).

• Like 2

I think Geddy has put a lot of time and energy into his book and it's promotion. The creative writing and performing will follow. He seems to be more deliberate and more of a perfectionist than Alex. I think Alex is a fly by the seat of his pants king of a guy.

Victor an MFY really demonstrated to me what either brought to Rush, song writing and spirit wise and I concluded that Rush was better than the sum of its' parts. I really hope Alex and Geddy work together and release something but I hope it's with not just another drummer but with other players (keys/multi-instrumentalist) and a vocalist - so it doesn't come off like Rush 2.0 (or 3.0 if you like).

My point, exactly!

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/108425-geddy-and-alex-have-to-get-the-band-back-together-again/page__view__findpost__p__4695920

You know, it just dawned on me that when Rush was coming to an end it was clear that Geddy was not happy about it because he wanted to keep writing and performing with Rush, On the other hand, Alex seemed more middle of the road about it and was clearly not nearly as upset as Geddy was about it. Since Rush's end Geddy just has not really publicly shown any enthusiasm in creating new material or wanting to perform live on any level and Alex seems to constantly be finding new projects and collaborations to work on musically. It seems that Geddy's enthusiasm for creating music and performing live died with Rush while Alex just never knows what he wants. lol. I hope Geddy gets some inspiration soon and wants to do something with Alex. It would be nice to have some new material from them, even if they made an album that wasn't all that good it would be nice to have just for the sentiment.

I wouldn’t want “an album that wasn’t all that good...just for the sentiment”. Why would I want that?

I want something good!

My sentiments lie with albums that are good.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t want “an album that wasn’t all that good...just for the sentiment”. Why would I want that?

I want something good!

Very true, but as a Rush fan for the past 38 years I have grown to not get my hopes up too much for a great album. I usually ended up getting disappointed. Most of their great albums were already released when I became a fan.

I'm glad that Geddy released his Big Beautiful Book of Bass.

There was a need for such a book to come out and there wasn't one available about the 'bass guitar' per se.

Author's Tony Bacon and Barry Moorhouse released a book in the mid 90's titled 'The Bass Book: A Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars'.

Here's a recent interview with the author's below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDO0uedr2wg

The irony is that Bacon and Moorhouse were able to interview Paul McCartney for their book, whereas Geddy mentioned that he attempted to contact McCartney, but wasn't successful.

I've read reviews on Bacon and Moorhouse's book where a few weren't really enthusiastic about it, whereas with Geddy he's gotten top notch reviews.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I want something good!

Very true, but as a Rush fan for the past 38 years I have grown to not get my hopes up too much for a great album. I usually ended up getting disappointed. Most of their great albums were already released when I became a fan.

Coincidentally, I’ve been a fan for 38 years too since I was 9. (My older bros, Moving Pictures, and MTV airplay at the time had a lot to do with it.) I can’t say I was disappointed with any of the albums when they were first released...but over time I got to dislike some.

I emailed Tony Bacon about his book ''The Bass Book: A Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars'.

I asked him if he checked out Geddy's book and replied with the comment:

"Yes, Geddy’s book is good. Lots of fine basses pictured and some interesting material."

I also pointed out to Tony that Geddy tried to interview Paul McCartney, but wasn't available. Tony replied with the following:

"I was lucky to get that interview with McCartney, for sure. A wonderful few hours I will never forget. I shared more of the chat than was in The Bass Book at Reverb—in case you haven't seen it, go here...:

Interview: Paul McCartney On His Life as a Bassist | Bacon's Archive

I bet if Geddy did interview Paul, that it could've possibly be similar to the one Tony did above as mentioned or perhaps different.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I want something good!

Coincidentally, I’ve been a fan for 38 years too since I was 9. (My older bros, Moving Pictures, and MTV airplay at the time had a lot to do with it.) I can’t say I was disappointed with any of the albums when they were first released...but over time I got to dislike some.

Coincidentally, I can't say I'm disappointed at all. (then or now.)

I'm glad that Geddy released his Big Beautiful Book of Bass.

There was a need for such a book to come out and there wasn't one available about the 'bass guitar' per se.

Author's Tony Bacon and Barry Moorhouse released a book in the mid 90's titled 'The Bass Book: A Complete Illustrated History of Bass Guitars'.

Here's a recent interview with the author's below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDO0uedr2wg

The irony is that Bacon and Moorhouse were able to interview Paul McCartney for their book, whereas Geddy mentioned that he attempted to contact McCartney, but wasn't successful.

I've read reviews on Bacon and Moorhouse's book where a few weren't really enthusiastic about it, whereas with Geddy he's gotten top notch reviews.

For the time, it wasn't a bad book.

I will probably always have my copy.

IMO Lee has a different approach to making music than Lifeson does. Maybe he's more introverted about how he chooses who he works with....

Don' despair people. I'm sure they're gonna do lots of interesting things. Their peers in music won't let them go be hermits.

• Like 1

Whatever he does I hope it doesn't include him singing because as most of us here admit, he really can't anymore

I would not mind him singing too much. His voice wasn't too bad on the Clockwork Angels album and he sang the songs from that album pretty good live. It is the older material that he struggles with.
  • Like 3

Whatever he does I hope it doesn't include him singing because as most of us here admit, he really can't anymore

I would not mind him singing too much. His voice wasn't too bad on the Clockwork Angels album and he sang the songs from that album pretty good live. It is the older material that he struggles with.

Exactly. No complaints from me on the him singling material from the last 35 years.

His voice has changed and deepened over the years...as anyone's would. I think whatever he would write now, he would be able to sing just fine. "The Wreckers" chorus has a tricky vocal, but Geddy handled as a pro, like he always does.

• Like 3