Roger Waters Rolling Stone interview - prog and punk irony

RushFanForever

I discovered this recent interview Roger Waters did with Rolling Stone magazine here.

The following stands out in regards to Pink Floyd and U2 below from the above article.

"I remember when we did The Wall [in 1979] being criticized by Bono. U2 were a very young band, and they’re going [affects Irish accent], “Oh, we can’t stand all that theatrical nonsense that Pink Floyd do. We just play our music and the songs unto themselves and blah, blah, blah.” Oh really? All they did for the rest of their f**king career was copy what I’d been doing and continue to do. So good luck to them, but what a load of bulls**t. If you lead them, people will follow."

When U2 was starting out, they were a post-punk band.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

U2's guitar sound is an awful lot like Gilmour's in Run Like Hell but other than that I'm not noticing a lot of similarities to Floyd's overall style.

And their stage show very quickly evolved to resemble something very much like a Floyd show.

U2, circa 1992...

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

U2's guitar sound is an awful lot like Gilmour's in Run Like Hell but other than that I'm not noticing a lot of similarities to Floyd's overall style.

And their stage show very quickly evolved to resemble something very much like a Floyd show.

U2, circa 1992...

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh that actually is true. Their '90s output was more theatrical and Floyd like. So true. You're eating shit now, Bono. lol.

• Like 3

The biggest thing I took away from that interview is that he claims to have tried to work out a truce with Gilmour and was rejected. His side of the story of course so take it with the appropriate grain of salt. But still..............
  • Like 1

Waters seems a little douchey from everything I've read.

The strongest talents almost always have the strongest egos. Waters has owned up to a lot in past years, but he still has a very strong ego and personality. He can and will "tell it like it is".

• Like 1

One thing that I can say about Bono is that he does genuinely seem to be a decent guy. My brother used to set up the chairs on the floor when concerts would come to the Olympic Stadium in Montreal. He told me that when Madonna was playing there that they were told beforehand not to make eye contact with Madonna, lol. However, when U2 played there, Bono was the only artist to ever go see the guys setting up the chairs when they were on a break to thank them.

I also ended up getting to see Pink Floyd there for free because they were short people to take the chairs down. So, I got a call a few hours before the show to say that I could watch the concert if I helped take the chairs down after the show. I also have a very rare shirt from the Pink Floyd show that has a picture of a chair floating through space and has the date and venue on it on the back and Pink Floyd marked on the front. A really cool shirt that might be one of a kind now.

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 6

What year was that? '77?

If so, that is a VERY infamous concert in Floyd history.

No, way later than that. It was the last tour they did in 94 for their last album without Roger waters, I just took the shirt out and it is not a chair floating through space, it is multiple chairs going through a wall on the back and says "Just Another Chair Through the Wall, OLYMPIC STADIUM MONTREAL '94"

He can and will "tell it like it is".

Like he thinks it is, anyway -- or wishes it were. Given the scale of the tantrum he threw to keep his bandmates from going on as Pink Floyd, it seems really unlikely he was the one to make peace overtures . . . .

• Like 1

What year was that? '77?

No, way later than that. It was the last tour they did in 94 for their last album without Roger waters, I just took the shirt out and it is not a chair floating through space, it is multiple chairs going through a wall on the back and says "Just Another Chair Through the Wall, OLYMPIC STADIUM MONTREAL '94"

Triple post lol Edited by snowdogged

What year was that? '77?

Triple post lol Edited by snowdogged

What year was that? '77?

Here are pics.

floyd.jpg

floyd2.jpg

Edited by snowdogged
  • Like 1

I wonder what Bono and Edge think of Floyd now....

Seems like a lot of post-punk peeps later admitted to being fans. Geldof for one...

Post-punk people are crazy elitist.

I am against purism ...always have been. The prog snobs, the jazz snobs, the punk snobs.. they all drive me nuts!!

• Like 2

Ah, Floyd.

Been a fan on the band since their early days. I haven missed a NYC area show of the band, Dave Gilmour or Roger Water since 1973. I did miss Nick Mason's tour last spring due to health issues and medical exams. Both recent shows from Dave and Roger were spectacular but Roger had more of a stage show, which was necessary to get his views across. I loved it!!!

I see that Roger is touring again in 2020. I will be there.

Dave is my favorite member of Pink Floyd.

• Like 1

I wonder what Bono and Edge think of Floyd now....

Seems like a lot of post-punk peeps later admitted to being fans. Geldof for one...

Post-punk people are crazy elitist.

I am against purism ...always have been. The prog snobs, the jazz snobs, the punk snobs.. they all drive me nuts!!

I draw the line at One Direction, Justin Bieber, and Taylor Swift. Otherwise, I'll probably give it a shot if you recommend it. Not to say I don't get snobbish about my favorites, but I value keeping an open mind, even with things I think I know well.

• Like 2

Decent interview. Read it about a week or so ago. Hope the next tour includes more solo material from Amused To Death and Is This The Life We Really Want.

There was some of that on the last tour, but not enough although witnessing the Animals songs was really cool.